Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
“Future’s End” is so 90s it is physically hurting me.

Chuck and Kathy look like they fell into the Gap, Tomcat went grunge, and Tuvok...poor Tuvok.

The problem with an episode like this is that it comes off so dated (well, yes, time travel I know and it obviously fits the fictional period), that the usual suspension of belief where you can forget it was produced in 1996 does not exist, and you just see it as what it partly was: A way to get off/not have to build/remodel sets by going slightly away from the Paramount lot for a couple episodes but still be in a “fresh” location.

Oy vey.

(Also I think this is where Braga’s sort of obsession with a “future” time-traveling Federation begins that continues into Enterprise?)

Edit: Thinking about it more, this should be a general rule for any show that does not take place in its production era: Do not ever do a time-travel or whatever episode that takes place during the era your show is produced in unless you have a very good reason or point to make.

MikeJF posted:

To be fair to him, it's not like he was given much opportunity to act.

It’s sad because the whole concept of him being part of the first generation to be born and grow up in space is an interesting one, but they did gently caress all with it that I can remember except for that not-great focus episode where he goes back to his family’s freighter.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Longbaugh01 posted:

“Future’s End” is so 90s it is physically hurting me.

Chuck and Kathy look like they fell into the Gap, Tomcat went grunge, and Tuvok...poor Tuvok.

The problem with an episode like this is that it comes off so dated (well, yes, time travel I know and it obviously fits the fictional period), that the usual suspension of belief where you can forget it was produced in 1996 does not exist, and you just see it as what it partly was: A way to get off/not have to build/remodel sets by going slightly away from the Paramount lot for a couple episodes but still be in a “fresh” location.

Oy vey.

(Also I think this is where Braga’s sort of obsession with a “future” time-traveling Federation begins that continues into Enterprise?)

Edit: Thinking about it more, this should be a general rule for any show that does not take place in its production era: Do not ever do a time-travel or whatever episode that takes place during the era your show is produced in unless you have a very good reason or point to make.

It’s sad because the whole concept of him being part of the first generation to be born and grow up in space is an interesting one, but they did gently caress all with it that I can remember except for that not-great focus episode where he goes back to his family’s freighter.

When I think about Future's End I like to imagine the alternate universe version of Voyager where Sarah Silverman joined the cast instead of just being a guest star.

Chiana was only supposed to be on Farscape for three episodes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Longbaugh01 posted:

I feel bad for Jolene Blalock. She was apparently a huge Trek fan before she got T'Pol and Spock was her favorite character. Getting the role was a dream come true apparently...

...Then she pretty much gets over-sexualized from the get-go (I'm looking at you both Berman and Braga), probably failed by the writing early on (this is where I would ascribe any instances where she might come off as un-Vulcan-like), and then the whole cast gets poo poo on by the finale where she was most vocal in her distaste and disappointment. So much so that I think she stayed away from anything related to Star Trek for 8 years until the 2013 blu-ray reunion, and then afterwards.

:smith:
I appreciate that basically the entire ENT cast still shits on the finale to this day

Even Scott Bakula who is apparently not the kind of guy who would normally do that with his work

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They almost cast Jolene Balok as T'Pol but she turned out to be a puppet operated by Clint Howard

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They almost cast Jolene Balok as T'Pol but she turned out to be a puppet operated by Clint Howard

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, "Hard Time" is a really good episode and I'd argue Deep Space 9 at its best. It's dealing with darker plot elements like DS9 is wont to do, but it still ends up on this really humanistic message about how we can't create a criminal justice system that defines people by who they were in their worst moments. I feel like Star Trek talks in very big terms of racism and greed ending, but "Hard Time" confronts a very real and nuanced problem with humanity that we have to confront.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've been waiting for this kind of thing to start happening: neural net remastering. Someone did a bit of Voyager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWBiHDchSLA

Not true HD remaster, but it still makes it look much nicer to watch in the modern era, especially for a basic initial attempt. I wonder if you could take the net and additionally train it on the TNG original/remaster first, too.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 21, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Rookie question: Are Romulans always assholes? They seem to be plotting to kill everyone with technology all the time, but on some level I think they're neat and I think their TNG-era ships are cooler than the Klingons (though it's easy to confuse them thanks to how the term "bird of prey" has been used by both at times).

I hate to see any of the 'regular' species in Trek as unrelenting mustache-twirling rear end in a top hat evil, but they seem to be given this look a lot in order to show how far the Klingons have changed. I guess that Cardassians are always 100% evil dicks, but they're sort of self-defeating in that as DS9's "Empok Nor" suggests their racial prejudice is at least partly biologically bred into them. (And though Garak is usually not an evil dick, it's been shown that he's already been a dick and would happily be one again if his dickish privilege hadn't been taken.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's been shown the Romulan Empire as an institution is an rear end in a top hat but the culture has a fair element of honor pervading it and there's a lot of non-rear end in a top hat individual Romulans we've run into over the years.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Romulans, unfortunatly, are probably the least developed of the main species in Trek - Picard's finally given them a bit more depth, but up until then... yeah, they did get slotted into the generic baddie slot a bit too often. It doesn't help that their main traits are 'sneaky' and 'overly loyal to a corrupt state', both of which overlap heavily with the Cardassians.

There are sympathetic Romulan characters here and there, though, going back to the original Romulan commander, a tragic but honourable foe. There's also the similarly tragic Jarok in "The Defector", and I always though the Romulan captain in "Face of the Enemy" came across as a rather likable character, given that she's the antagonist of the episode. There's also the little touch in "The Chase" where the Romulan captain is the only one of the aliens to actually be moved by the discovery they make together.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
>Picard
>More Depth

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

The Romulans, unfortunatly, are probably the least developed of the main species in Trek - Picard's finally given them a bit more depth

And it's doing it really well, in my opinion - the fleshing out of Romulans and different aspects and subcultures we see has been really really good, the best part of Picard, and fits into what we see before but greatly expanded.

(Also the two old retired Romulan spies that live on the Picard vineyard are some of the best characters ever and I really hope we get to see more of them next season)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

StarTrek.com sent me an email that says

"VOYAGER’S MACROCOSM IS A COVID-19 CAUTIONARY TALE"

Gimme a break, coronavirus isn't a gigantic bunch of floating tentacles stabbity stabbing people with giant thorns..

LifeGetsWorser posted:

But what if...

Payndz posted:

Literally the only Mayweather moment I can remember was the dullest teaser in the entire history of the franchise.

Scene: Mayweather is reading a book. In zero gravity! But still, he's just reading a book.
Someone over the comm: "Ensign Mayweather, report to the bridge."
Mayweather: "On my way."
It's been a long road...

"Yes! An exciting Mayweather episode!" said no one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The main thing I remember about mayweather is that time he took his shirt off and was so buff

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

And it's doing it really well, in my opinion - the fleshing out of Romulans and different aspects and subcultures we see has been really really good, the best part of Picard, and fits into what we see before but greatly expanded.

(Also the two old retired Romulan spies that live on the Picard vineyard are some of the best characters ever and I really hope we get to see more of them next season)
I think part of what makes it work is the notion that all of of Romulan society and culture is based around deception is some Star Trek-y rear end poo poo. It makes them fit into the four big OG species much more clearly. Humans are all about Exploration, Vulcans are all about logic, Klingons are all about Honor, and Romulans are all about deception.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MikeJF posted:

The main thing I remember about mayweather is that time he took his shirt off and was so buff
The sad thing about Mayweather and Sato is their mirror universe characters were so much more interesting then they were. Would anyone really have wanted to watch a series featuring any other Trek mirror universe characters? And no, to be clear, the Intendent Kira series would not have been on Cinemax, you pervs.

Anyway, where I was going was my memorable Mayweather moment was watching Mirror Mayweather do a spin kick into that Admiral's bodyguard's ear and then straight-up disintegrating the Admiral with a phaser. Totally gave no fucks. He was more interesting in those 10 seconds than the rest of the entire series INCLUDING his spotlight scenes and his featured episode. Waste of a character.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

The Romulans, unfortunatly, are probably the least developed of the main species in Trek - Picard's finally given them a bit more depth, but up until then... yeah, they did get slotted into the generic baddie slot a bit too often. It doesn't help that their main traits are 'sneaky' and 'overly loyal to a corrupt state', both of which overlap heavily with the Cardassians.

There are sympathetic Romulan characters here and there, though, going back to the original Romulan commander, a tragic but honourable foe. There's also the similarly tragic Jarok in "The Defector", and I always though the Romulan captain in "Face of the Enemy" came across as a rather likable character, given that she's the antagonist of the episode. There's also the little touch in "The Chase" where the Romulan captain is the only one of the aliens to actually be moved by the discovery they make together.

Equally unfortunately, the writers on Picard seem to have decided that actually Romulans are Bajorans complete with monastic orders and elaborate meditation rituals.

The first few episodes have some good ideas with those ex Taj Mahal officers who disappear halfway through the season. But after that it's full woo.

I wonder if there's a fractured post-imperial state with its own culture and its own social ills lying around that they could have used for inspiration. . .

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MikeJF posted:

Yep.

In short, Enterprise is a land of contrasts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

Yep.

I'm pretty sure the three buffest guys to ever be main characters in trek were Mayweather, Trip and Reed. Which probably says a lot about the priorities of the Enterprise casting agent. (Or it might've just been a sign of the changing times, I suppose, it became a lot more compulsory for guys on TV to be all abs and pecs in the 2000s)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can see the Romulans being a pretty spiritual people when they're not busy with their imperial ambitions. They're an offshoot of the Vulcans, who have their own elaborate rituals, temples, and whatnot, but without the Vulcans' philosophy, I'd assume they'd express that through more typical religion.

Also I assume they don't have the whole death-heat thing.

Craptacular! posted:

Rookie question: Are Romulans always assholes?

Basically, yeah. The writers never really settled on what their deal was or why, but the one constant was that the Romulan government is always antagonistic and most Romulan characters are dicks, even when they're on the outs with the rest of the government.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drone posted:

Yep.

Rick Berman, circa 2001: “See, there’s something for the ladies too. Now get prepped for the decon scene, Jolene.”

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

Equally unfortunately, the writers on Picard seem to have decided that actually Romulans are Bajorans complete with monastic orders and elaborate meditation rituals.

Yes, I'm sure that they're copying the Bajorans. It's not like the Romulans have a parent culture with a monastic religion and meditation rituals.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Meditation was invented by DS9 in 1993.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm not actually complaining about a connection to the Bajorans, but "spiritual" is an extremely common trait for writers to hang on a culture that codes as foreign. It doesn't really make sense for the Romulans. Nothing about what we've seen of their culture or ethical system suggests that they would value meditation or spirituality. In fact, we see representatives of the Romulan state specifically express impatience and disgust with Vulcan spirituality. It especially makes no sense coming out of a period of police state rule. Organized religion is a parallel power structure that a paranoid state will not tolerate.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 21, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Russian church survived the Soviet era and basically popped right back into place in a position of social power after 1991. It takes a lot of effort to crush religious traditions entirely.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The spirituality we've seen from them seems entirely practical and not mythical. The ritual we saw was a time-tested ritual designed to focus your mind and walk back through your memories. The monastic order was a formalised fighting order, but not in any way based around worship or a god as far as we could see - it was really more of a philosophy than a religion, and their teachings are presented as existing in direct reaction to the regular romulan paranoid secret-keeping way of life.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

The Russian church survived the Soviet era and basically popped right back into place in a position of social power after 1991. It takes a lot of effort to crush religious traditions entirely.

It was only allowed to do so because it was co-opted into the state apparatus... exactly as it was before 1917.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Rewatching DS9, just finished the season 2 openers...why the hell did they kill off Li here only to come up with an inferior clone of him the next season? Beymer acts the gently caress out of this role, they could have brought him back as many times as they wanted.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
IIRC they acknowledged afterwards that killing Li was a mistake - at the time they weren’t sure what to do with him after the opening trilogy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Overall, Bajor got the short end of the stick. The writers weren't sure what to do after they ran out of "recovering from the occupation" ideas, and then the Dominion showed up and the writers basically give up on Bajor entirely except as an accessory to Sisko and Dukat's final battle.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
One thing I really like about the Romulans in Next Gen is the animosity between them and the Klingons. It's cool to have this sense that other poo poo is happening independent of the Federation.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
A little politics-y but...

What the gently caress https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1241173441161691136 !!

And what the gently caress FURTHER https://twitter.com/Lil_Nangs/status/1241178625484832768

https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1241568684285575168

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dukat is... Epstein?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SCheeseman posted:

Dukat is... Epstein?
Pepe, at Hong Kong's walls!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
catching up on some unseen ds9 eps and wow worf completely hosed over his brother huh

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

it wasn't his fault the starfleet people interrupted his sacred klingon ritual

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

so is the Abrams-verse dead at this point?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

egon_beeblebrox posted:

so is the Abrams-verse dead at this point?

Hopefully.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Origami Dali posted:

catching up on some unseen ds9 eps and wow worf completely hosed over his brother huh

completely and utterly , to the point where he got him lobotomized because he was better off that way than knowing just how much he had been hosed over , and then never mentioned again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Worf is a really bad person