Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

ReindeerF posted:

If the CDC data is correct, and we don't discover the miracle cure or whatever, at least 400,000 of us Texans are going to kick the bucket one way or the other if they don't find something. Our goal is just not to clog the system and make it worse for everyone else, heh.

hopefully they will be transplants

What CDC data or analysis are you referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The latest that I know of:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm

Again, like I said, it depends on infection rates, which are unpredictable based on future factors, but if this thing isn't able to be stopped medically then eventually it will roll through most of everyone and the statistics should generally obtain.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Number_6 posted:

What CDC data or analysis are you referring to?

Check the graphs on this article. 430k dead Texans if we don't take any further action than what we are doing today.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/shelt...-WI9YofrX-bUouQ

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's at a 3 month projection and it seems very aggressive. Italy has twice the population of Texas and it's nowhere near that number dead in a couple of months of being the posterchild for a bad response. Even if you assume they're loving up the data by 100% they're still nowhere near hundreds of thousands. I would suggest that the real problem - after mitigating the flood of cases up front to avoid clogging the system - is that if we can't control it long-term, eventually, like with HIV / AIDS, a shitload of people will die. That's where the hundreds of thousands would occur. In the immediate term, no way. It's not deadly enough and we're very spread out and already under various kinds of enforced social distancing and lockdown orders.

The whole thing is, "What about 6 months from now?"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

we might be quite hosed

https://covidactnow.org/state/TX

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
The Houston area can handle only about 500 tests a day.

It was nice posting with you all.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Uh you see we can’t shelter in place because uh people may shelter without having needed to and uh we have a site (only available in English) you can visit if you have really serious symptoms that will point you to one of our testing sites maybe.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Harris County is upping its game really fast, though it is playing catch-up.There's basically a number you call and they send you a PIN code and you can do drive through testing. They've gone from zero to three sites in about a week, I suspect that'll be up quite a bit soon.

Also I see there's a company that has released a mail-in kit which should be helpful for testing all the people who are not symptomatic or vulnerable, once someone basically copies not and makes it cheaper.

I mean for all the f****** of the last 40 years, the United States still does have a massive system for researching and developing, then also producing, medical stuff. Once it gets nervous about that it actually starts producing this instead of dick pills, it's going to be very good at it. Hopefully that's already starting, it seems like it from the medical news on reading.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 23, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
What word did you blank out?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"fuckups" probably

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I was reading it as "fuckery"

But what's with the self-censorship?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ReidRansom posted:

I was reading it as "fuckery"

But what's with the self-censorship?

Android voice to text self censors like that

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Waco has issued a shelter in place order today.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stay in your compounds people of Waco

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How does this affect the essential Redecorating Everything to Look the Same industry

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Zil posted:

Ah, right, yeah I hadn't considered voice posting.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

How does this affect the essential Redecorating Everything to Look the Same industry

poo poo no more whites on gray with barn doors?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

poo poo no more whites on gray with barn doors?

My mom’s house used to have tan brick with black trim and we sold it when she died. Now it’s all white with exposed wood trim 😑

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my cousin is a realtor for that couple (chris and joanna?) and it's about as culty as one would expect

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

my cousin is a realtor for that couple (chris and joanna?) and it's about as culty as one would expect

Yeah. And not unsurprisingly they also go to the cultiest Baptist church in Waco.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/1242154097370939393

I hope they mean like way after this is done because lol at trying to do a legislative session and enforce any kind of reasonable mitigation measures without infecting the entire membership most of whom is in the danger zone

It's like any time any notable thing happens all the press starts whispering about special sessions.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Appears that San Antonio is about to be next to issue a shelter-in-place order:

https://twitter.com/JFreports/status/1242145084369494016

The article makes it sound like a lot of folks were expecting/hoping Abbott would do a statewide order yesterday, and when he didn't, the local officials started scrambling to do their own - hence the spate of orders issued by TX cities and counties today.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Travis is readying orders too.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Zil posted:

Yeah, new phone. My main phone's charging port post broke in the middle of a 30 day business trip. I'm still jiggering settings on this cheap backup I bought.

To be on topic, Texas now looks like that old photo of Swedes standing at a bus stop. Except at HEB and Walmart where it's ass2gut.

EDIT: Actually Walmart is pretty much people doing self checkout. I have to say, other than one "angry man won't leave store at new closing time" call on the local police scanner group, everyone seems quite civil considering how much we've been inconveniencing each other with all the panic buying and hoarding.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 23, 2020

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

zoux posted:

Stay in your compounds people of Waco

We had a perfect facility but the short-sighted Feds hosed that up :mad:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Look on my mcmansion, ye mighty, and despair:

When the revolution comes, I'm taking over the Walmart Supercenter at 518 in Pearland and this mcmansion for my John Titor's Army of Northern Brazoria County, consisting only of locals who are both cardiovascularly fit enough to run for 60 minutes straight or ride a bike for 7 hours straight, AND can shoot at least 20+ on clay pigeons. Even with these fairly minimal requirements, we're going to have a lot of space left over once all 50 of us gather together, so I'm accepting applications from people North of I-10 as well.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

It's not a lockdown, there have just been a ton of things ordered closed - bars, restaurants, etc - and then a lot of corporate stuff (and some local) has changed rules to be either open for pickup or whatever. Also, gatherings are banned.

Here's an idea of some of the non-critical stuff that's already gone, either due to the rules or just voluntarily:

https://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-city-life/covid-19-cancellations

Technically, though, you're allowed to roam around, go to grocery stores, get your car washed, tailgate, shoot skeet, buy lumber and so on as long as you social distance and don't congregate in groups of 10 or more.

From what I can see, the primary transmission vector for this poo poo is going to be lines of hoarders at Walmart, Kroger, Whole Foods, HEB, etc. Like with many groupings, if so, a largely victimless crime, one can assume.

houston's response has been very light, most people seem to be going about their lives normally enough. yard crew just came through the neighborhood.

wouldnt be surprised to see some more restrictions by the end of the week.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Why is the mayor of Waco better at handling this than the mayor of Fort Worth?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Why is the mayor of Waco better at handling this than the mayor of Fort Worth?

We have a lot of experience people forcing people to stay inside buildings.

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 23, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Why is the mayor of Waco better at handling this than the mayor of Fort Worth Houston?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Ken Paxton seizing the opportunity to throw out some red meat.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Look on my mcmansion, ye mighty, and despair:

When the revolution comes, I'm taking over the Walmart Supercenter at 518 in Pearland and this mcmansion for my John Titor's Army of Northern Brazoria County, consisting only of locals who are both cardiovascularly fit enough to run for 60 minutes straight or ride a bike for 7 hours straight, AND can shoot at least 20+ on clay pigeons. Even with these fairly minimal requirements, we're going to have a lot of space left over once all 50 of us gather together, so I'm accepting applications from people North of I-10 as well.

You'll need to kick the existing end times death cult out first. Seems to have been bought by some church and turned into a religious school?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Brazos County (Bryan - College Station) now shelter in place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hrmph well I'd like to see them saw Vars'ty's horns off from within their barns.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Denton County is now.. uh... whatever they did.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

austin going shelter-in-place tomorrow

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

enraged_camel posted:

austin going shelter-in-place tomorrow

Collin County almost certainly the same.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1242227615718662145

Smallest county in Texas (by area)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cameron County has gone Shelter-in-Place as well. Hidalgo County curfew goes into effect tonight.

https://thetakeout.com/which-breweries-distilleries-wineries-make-hand-sanit-1842454357

Here is a nationwide list of distillers that are now making hand sanitizers.

Also can someone explain why during Harvey we had beer plants just start churning out a shitload of water, but now that people can't seem to get enough water that Miller and AB haven't stepped up?

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Brazoria County is still a bastion of individual liberty, city folk. Live free and die, I heard some folks say!

Badger of Basra posted:

We have a lot of experience people forcing people to stay inside buildings.
...and then covering up the sexual assaults.

:rimshot: