Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

fermun posted:

That the state shut everything down when they did is absolutely great. New Yorkers keep talking about how great a job Cuomo is doing, and uh... he's doing a loving terrible job. California shut down before testing even became really available and as more and more testing ability comes online, it is starting to look like we've got a shot at under 2% of the state population dying.

bad news about us supposedly shutting down...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, everything in my area is pretty much business as usual besides bars and restaurants. It's uh, not good. And the LA/OC areas have given up on testing unless you are medical or responder personnel.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Pasadena is completely dead in the evening. Everything has been good about shutting down except King Taco, thankfully :sweatdrop:

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

TheAgent posted:

And the LA/OC areas have given up on testing unless you are medical or responder personnel.

This last part is not true, even if anecdotally

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Boredumb posted:

This last part is not true, even if anecdotally
I guess I should have added "Or if you are admitted to the hospital." No one else I know, even with symptoms, has been able to be tested here unless they can verify they came into contact with someone infected or have been out of the country.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

TheAgent posted:

I guess I should have added "Or if you are admitted to the hospital." No one else I know, even with symptoms, has been able to be tested here unless they can verify they came into contact with someone infected or have been out of the country.

I know 2 people tested last week because of symptoms in Long Beach, both negative, just bad flu cases

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheAgent posted:

Yeah, everything in my area is pretty much business as usual besides bars and restaurants.

Same here. As far as I can tell the industrial world instantly came up with ~reasoning~ why their business is "essential". Only bars/restaurants and (most) retail are complying. It's a farce right now and they'll have to come down with a much sterner order plus threat of enforcement to actual put us in a shutdown. We'll see what this next week brings.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Boredumb posted:

I know 2 people tested last week because of symptoms in Long Beach, both negative, just bad flu cases
OK, that's awesome then. I've been asked to get tested, no go, and same with my fiancee (who was extremely sick with high fever and a dry cough just a week ago) unless we want to pay the full amount out of pocket.

I guess it depends on the area and the hospital policy, since that can vary.

edit: The total cost to test the two of us would have been around $3k btw, according to our doctor.

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 22, 2020

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

TheAgent posted:

OK, that's awesome then. I've been asked to get tested, no go, and same with my fiancee (who was extremely sick with high fever and a dry cough just a week ago) unless we want to pay the full amount out of pocket.

I guess it depends on the area and the hospital policy, since that can vary.

edit: The total cost to test the two of us would have been around $3k btw, according to our doctor.
Sorry to hear that, and I hope you both get well.

I drove by the beaches yesteday (orange county) and they were packed. We are all screwed

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Boredumb posted:

Sorry to hear that, and I hope you both get well.

I drove by the beaches yesteday (orange county) and they were packed. We are all screwed
We'll be okay!

We are self quarantining anyway because we live in a neighborhood with a high amount of retirees. I still see em out when walking my dog, shaking hands, laughing, talking about going down to buy a new car since the dealership down here is still open (for some loving bonkers reason). I had to tell one of our neighbors to stay away from me (they came up to pet my dog like usual) since I might be infected and they thought I was being rude.

I feel like I'm the crazy doomsday guy while the normal world continues outside.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TheAgent posted:

We'll be okay!

We are self quarantining anyway because we live in a neighborhood with a high amount of retirees. I still see em out when walking my dog, shaking hands, laughing, talking about going down to buy a new car since the dealership down here is still open (for some loving bonkers reason). I had to tell one of our neighbors to stay away from me (they came up to pet my dog like usual) since I might be infected and they thought I was being rude.

I feel like I'm the crazy doomsday guy while the normal world continues outside.

This poo poo is like the fires. People still walking around running walking their dog etc while the air is literally orange or buildings are literally on fire. This is part for the course. Californians don't give a gently caress about disasters.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TheAgent posted:

We'll be okay!

Don't worry, I had people make fun of me for wearing a mask while wandering around the mall, despite the fact that 70% of the stores were closed for the month and the place was a ghost town (more than usual for a mall, I mean). These people are strolling down the street while the giant alien robots topple skyscrapers like nothing unusual is happening.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

CopperHound posted:

I'll try to dig up some stuff when I have time later.
Here are some notes from local mutual aid group re: food not bombs

quote:

kid - FNB have some volunteers onsite at clock tower during the day. looking for folks to volunteer during the evenings. specifically folks who can handle confrontations. 10pm-6am shifts needed. also looking for bathrooms. 

jacin - curious how FNB work will change as cops have been busting houseless encampments pushing/putting people into city camps.

kyle - talked with folks after folks forcing people out. cops were going to fence off clock tower. rational that people are a “riot threat” and city saying worry is about mass unrest. all other areas around pacific and water are fenced off. the “triage” sites are farther away, including parking lot near stadium. folks only allowed to be in city sites for 3 days.

gently caress THIS poo poo show. 

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheAgent posted:

The testing in the LA area isn't consistent at all.

Had 2 people at work one had most of the symptoms and they told him they wouldn't test him. Second guy was worse but not hospital worthy and they tested him.

He got swabbed on Weds. and he still doesn't have his results back.

LA county is so far behind things its not even funny.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
watching the beach cams today

full on crowds everywhere, kids, old people, joggers running straight through groups of people

we are hosed in two weeks. Absolutely hosed

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheAgent posted:

watching the beach cams today

full on crowds everywhere, kids, old people, joggers running straight through groups of people

we are hosed in two weeks. Absolutely hosed

I mean we are already hosed people just don't know it yet.

In two weeks they sure will.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I mean we are already hosed people just don't know it yet.

In two weeks they sure will.

As I tell everyone who will listen, we are literally a month behind where we need to be to manage this crisis, and a month from now you'll look back on March as "my god how did we not see this coming."

I know a guy from a big pharma who's essential and is carrying around a full spray bottle of 70% isopropanol and spraying every surface before he makes hand contact, and then his hands every hour or so. Probably excessive but he is a heavy smoker and seriously worried about his own risk.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Sounds like LA is loving up, Bay Area (at least south bay) is taking it seriously. Got on the freeway this morning at 11am and you could have landed a plane on it there were so few cars. It was like zombie apocalypse levels of empty. Guess it helps that its been raining off and on the past week. Went for a long walk in a park and pretty much everyone was giving each other wide berths, including stepping off the sidewalk or the trail to let someone pass. Good job.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

cheese posted:

Sounds like LA is loving up, Bay Area (at least south bay) is taking it seriously. Got on the freeway this morning at 11am and you could have landed a plane on it there were so few cars. It was like zombie apocalypse levels of empty. Guess it helps that its been raining off and on the past week. Went for a long walk in a park and pretty much everyone was giving each other wide berths, including stepping off the sidewalk or the trail to let someone pass. Good job.

Yesterday Rodeo beach out in the headlands was packed to the gills tho

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
It looks like the major jump in Santa Clara could possible be explained by the number of tests performed in the last 3 days.

The National number of tests done is 250,000 minimum now (and those have returned back results) and that is likely set to significantly expand in the next week.

Santa Clara, the hotbed in the bay area, has indicated that PPE isn't low but they need as many people to donate in preparation for the number of cases to go up. They've also confirmed that they are not yet at capacity.

Anyway, there isn't any definite data to back up the top claim yet, so it's mostly conjecture.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The highway here just flooded from a minor rain. Because no cars are kicking the moisture ip

"Flooded" as in like 6 inches of water

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Home Depot I went to is busier than usual because of all the bored dads buying fertilizer

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A couple days ago when I was at the office shifting clients out and shutting everything the hell down for the duration, everything was open. Donut shop, coffee shops, food trucks, everything. Afterwards cruising some parking lots I can report that while the big box stores weren't as busy as usual, they had plenty of customers. The foot hills east of Sacramento do not give a gently caress. There are already one or two confirmed cases around in every county, so I expect we'll be giving many more fucks in about four weeks.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Complications posted:

A couple days ago when I was at the office shifting clients out and shutting everything the hell down for the duration, everything was open. Donut shop, coffee shops, food trucks, everything. Afterwards cruising some parking lots I can report that while the big box stores weren't as busy as usual, they had plenty of customers. The foot hills east of Sacramento do not give a gently caress. There are already one or two confirmed cases around in every county, so I expect we'll be giving many more fucks in about four weeks.

Lmao my wife and I went for a drive to the Mojave yesterday (we didn’t get out of the car) and it’s insane how many small towns are operating like nothing is happening.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Does the state/county not have the power to close beaches to the public?

The SJPD chief came out yesterday and said too many people and businesses are openly flaunting the SiP order and come Monday there's going to be a significant ramp up of enforcement. Businesses seem simple enough: if they're open and they shouldn't be then you show up and shut them down. People is trickier though: unless you catch them sunbathing at a beach or something how do you prove they were travelling for unessential reasons?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Put cops on beaches

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Put cops in the ocean

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

People on NextDoor were bitching because the Manhattan Beach parking lot was still open and people are treating it like spring break (not today obv.)

The city manager had to come in and try and say they are exploring options on how to solve it but they don't have the man power to lock it down and prevent people from going lol.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Complications posted:

Flatten the 'burbs

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Yes businesses are going to stay open when they still have to pay rent, people are still going to work when they have bills. Pause that poo poo, extend it, whatever. That's what needs to happen and why aren't any politicians talking about it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Yes businesses are going to stay open when they still have to pay rent, people are still going to work when they have bills. Pause that poo poo, extend it, whatever. That's what needs to happen and why aren't any politicians talking about it?

Because no one wants to be the one that flips that switch. We need to shut everything down that has been clear for weeks now and yet here we are...

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Nobody wants to hit that switch so we all just die a slow agonizing death economically and humanity. Its just so loving obvious.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
PG&E did something good? It can't be.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/pge-donates-1m-masks-to-hospitals-first-responders/2259263/%3famp

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Nobody wants to hit that switch so we all just die a slow agonizing death economically and humanity. Its just so loving obvious.

No no we won’t all die just 80% infected and 500,000 over the next 8 weeks.

Don’t ask me what they are thinking we should have shut down weeks ago.

LAX isn’t busy but there are still people coming in and the busses are still semi full.

It’s ridiculous.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sydin posted:

The SJPD chief came out yesterday and said too many people and businesses are openly flaunting the SiP order and come Monday there's going to be a significant ramp up of enforcement. Businesses seem simple enough: if they're open and they shouldn't be then you show up and shut them down. People is trickier though: unless you catch them sunbathing at a beach or something how do you prove they were travelling for unessential reasons?

Apparently Italy has it now that you have to fill out a permit to go outside. The police have the right to stop anyone outside and ask for the permit.

I'm still questioning the feasibility of such a system for CA, but it seems it may be possible to enforce isolation at the individual level.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Apparently Italy has it now that you have to fill out a permit to go outside. The police have the right to stop anyone outside and ask for the permit.

I'm still questioning the feasibility of such a system for CA, but it seems it may be possible to enforce isolation at the individual level.

Honestly I’m not sure how feasible something like that is. I have to imagine if they tried something like that it would be blocked by the courts.

That being said at some point if things get worse (which they probably will) it’s going to have to come to something like that.

It sucks to give up liberties but all signs are pointing towards that’s what needs to happen to slow / stop this thing.

I hope I am wrong on that though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mob bosses liked to give to their communities as well.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Our protection payments are going to go up

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sydin posted:

Not all are on state or county land - GGNRA and Presidio are federal for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

I just don't think that would be politically feasible here. Maybe if/when we descend into Italy levels of deathrates and hospital impact something like that could gain traction, but for now there's no way in hell the populace at large would put up with it.

luminalflux posted:

Not all are on state or county land - GGNRA and Presidio are federal for example.

lol well there you go then. Just leave it up to the Federal government to do the right thi-ahahahahahaha