Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1242011054986723328

Why is this whole thing still being run as if it's a cabinet reshuffle or something? Anonymous briefings and unnamed sources leaking stories to Laura K to test the waters and see if the public like it.
This is how they do things, why would you want them to change how they do things? It's always worked before

ed: birb for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

communism bitch posted:

Development!
Last Thursday one of my staff came in and was like "not sure I should be here - I have bad asthma and think I'm part of the at risk population. " I can't make that decision as I'm only middle management, so I mosey over to HR and repeat this, to which the HR lady responds (with a literal sneer) "well I've got asthma too and I'm still here". Fine, whatever.

20 mins ago the phone rings, it's the castle manager, who tells me that that colleague is showing all the symptoms and now my entire department has to go home and self isolate. So now I'm in my flat getting ready for some serious loving Skyrim.

Bit late for your colleague now, but if anyone here runs into this issue, I highly recommend you harry your GP about getting a letter confirming you are high risk, so you can show this to your employer and keep safe at home.

I tried this 2 weeks ago and they umm and arrd about it and said maybe I was above average risk. Last week tried again and got a letter within one day and told not to come to the GP surgery under any circumstances because of how high risk I was.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

communism bitch posted:

Development!
Last Thursday one of my staff came in and was like "not sure I should be here - I have bad asthma and think I'm part of the at risk population. " I can't make that decision as I'm only middle management, so I mosey over to HR and repeat this, to which the HR lady responds (with a literal sneer) "well I've got asthma too and I'm still here". Fine, whatever.

20 mins ago the phone rings, it's the castle manager, who tells me that that colleague is showing all the symptoms and now my entire department has to go home and self isolate. So now I'm in my flat getting ready for some serious loving Skyrim.

Hopefully you spread it to HR. HR are the enemy.

Anyway, not played that particular Skyrim mod but I thought horny was verbotten?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just went to my Waitrose (3 mins walk from home) and Home Bargains (1 min walk from home). Still no bog roll. That's over a week now with no bog roll in either store.

Against all odds, came back with nine rolls of Royal Assent. Flour(???) and eggs still wiped out but bog roll, pasta and bananas were almost-but-not-quite, which is better than the last few days. Bread and milk was plentiful.

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1242011054986723328

Why is this whole thing still being run as if it's a cabinet reshuffle or something? Anonymous briefings and unnamed sources leaking stories to Laura K to test the waters and see if the public like it.

What's most infuriating is the journalists pretend that they don't know this is what's going on, and they're "just reporting".

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Yeah I just nipped to my local big Sainsbury's and stock seemed to be returning to normal. Plenty of milk and bread, still a bit of cleaning products left. Can't say I looked for bog roll because we already had a stash (there's only 2 of us so we always buy more than we need) but the food aisles seemed more stocked than they have been.

One thing I have noticed is that there's always been plenty of ready meals. I know they're not the most healthy of options (and more expensive) but I'm surprised the middle class panic buyers aren't stockpiling those like some pseudo-MRE. I've been grabbing a couple every time I go out because I might as well eat that rather than make my own while fresh meat is low.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just posting to say I love the bird/nature pictures people are posting, keep them coming.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

One thing I have noticed is that there's always been plenty of ready meals. I know they're not the most healthy of options (and more expensive) but I'm surprised the middle class panic buyers aren't stockpiling those like some pseudo-MRE. I've been grabbing a couple every time I go out because I might as well eat that rather than make my own while fresh meat is low.

Same, I've just been eating microwave meals for the last week because every time I go to the supermarket the shelves are empty of ingredients but the ready meals section is still full.

I figure it's because 90% of microwave meals are for one person, which is no use for entire families stuck at home.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Also, ready meals generally don't last long. People are panic buying in order to be able to last a while.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

peanut- posted:

I figure it's because 90% of microwave meals are for one person, which is no use for entire families stuck at home.

They need fridge/freezer space which can be at a premium either with a family and /or in a rented flat maybe?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah I just nipped to my local big Sainsbury's and stock seemed to be returning to normal. Plenty of milk and bread, still a bit of cleaning products left. Can't say I looked for bog roll because we already had a stash (there's only 2 of us so we always buy more than we need) but the food aisles seemed more stocked than they have been.

Good news. Hope they've stocked up on Ben & Jerrys, getting fed up of them only having Phish Food. Gimme something different to gorge myself on dammit. About to go into town when the bus gets here in 20 minutes.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Also, ready meals generally don't last long. People are panic buying in order to be able to last a while.

Bung them in the freezer, they'll last a good long while. Obviously if you leave them in a cupboard they'll not last but if you've got freezer space because nothing else is available to buy then use it. Though I'm sympathetic because the place I rented in Glasgow had one tiny fridge for the 2 of us, and just an icebox, no freezer. loving balls like.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EvilHawk posted:

Thanks in large part to the aviation industry and single living, ready meals have come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of decades.

I know we all remember them as sad microwavable lasagnae, but there's some good stuff if you look. The Co-Op used to do microwavable rice/beans/pasta in sauce type things that I used for ingredients for other larger less lazy meals because it worked out cheaper than buying all of those things separately (unless I wanted to cook for 40 and freeze, and I don't have that much freezer space).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I've got my freezer full and canned goods, but am trying not to use the long life stuff until it becomes either necessary or near expiry dates, and to use fresh food where available.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah, unless you're getting frozen ready meals they don't last long, and they're a lot more expensive than making stuff yourself.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angrymog posted:

Yeah, unless you're getting frozen ready meals they don't last long, and they're a lot more expensive than making stuff yourself.

Aye but the point was they seemed to be about the only food you could get for a few days and that was surprsing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also the greengrocers around here completely survived the Great Raid from Outside, and there's a lot of fresh tasty stuff there :yum:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My workplace is allowing people returning from foreign holidays straight back into work. 500 people crammed onto a flight returning from Miama, good thing the US is completely on top of the crisis.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Also the greengrocers around here completely survived the Great Raid from Outside, and there's a lot of fresh tasty stuff there :yum:

I wanted to get some honey and garlic from our local one, but it was full of suicidal grannies on Saturday.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Biggus Dickus posted:

Any idea when the proper bank account will be set up? I want to set up a standing order and forget about it.
(I'm sure I'm not the only one)

Yeah I'm the same - done a one-off donation but not a standing order yet. To answer your question, it's going to take a few weeks to process the application even after we get it together, so realistically not for at least a month and probably more. We will definitely shout in the thread when it happens though!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Shopping update: Everything apart from bog roll, eggs and (most) pasta available at my local Asda, and queues were less than they are at 9am Saturday when I normally shop. Also apparently the people waiting outside to get in at 9am to shop after NHS staff were allowed their hour applauded and cheered them as they came out, which is kinda cringeworthy but also a bit :unsmith:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

josh04 posted:

Flour(???)

This is what you get if you can't find bread. Surprising number of people forget to also get yeast, though.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Walked past a church earlier that was full of people singing, with laughing old people hanging up signs outside saying 'still open'

When you get to heaven tell em Dom Cum sent you :c00l:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My mum's a nurse and made use of the 9am shop at Tesco. The staff applauded them on the way in and gave everyone a bunch of flowers (probably mothers day stock they couldn't shift).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Oh look I heard back from the landlord about trying to leave before contract.

quote:

Hi TP,

Unfortunately we all are facing the same situation, I cannot help you with that I’m afraid.

The Government hasn’t released us from anything, business as usual.

Sorry about that.

Kind Regards,

Landlord

Not even an attempt to seem sympathetic! This isn't even from a sole landlord, I'm renting from a big plc company that can absolutely afford to take the hit.

I will not be paying, gently caress 'em. They can get me through the courts if they care so much (and can find me).

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'd die of embarrassment if somebody applauded me while I was shopping for bog roll and those baked beans with the little sausages in em.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

AceClown posted:

UKMTSF update:

The UKMT Solidarity Fund is now live!

How to Donate Funds: Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity OR Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details
How to Apply for Funds: Fill in the Google Form OR PM a committee member on forum or Discord: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, Oscar Diggs or Rarity.

Current balance of funds is £1990.01 not including pending transactions.

We have so far paid out approx. £170 and change assisting goons, a full report will be published as per the charter on the 1st of April.

Massive massive thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, goons really are the best people, thank you.

Also wanted to add that we have specifically fast-tracked the setup of the fund to assist during this lovely time, if you are struggling please consider applying, the only people who are benefiting from the funds in hold are our capitalist overlords and we'd much prefer to be helping goons and not fascist bankers.

Solidarity to all.

This owns, thanks for this. I'll get some dolla in there later

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Shopping update: Everything apart from bog roll, eggs and (most) pasta available at my local Asda, and queues were less than they are at 9am Saturday when I normally shop. Also apparently the people waiting outside to get in at 9am to shop after NHS staff were allowed their hour applauded and cheered them as they came out, which is kinda cringeworthy but also a bit :unsmith:

Nah, it owns, forget the cringeworthy part. I think we're all finished with irony at this point

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The applause is for having a guaranteed income at a time like this.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
no one should ever be applauded while drinking a yazoo

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Greece have locked down hard. There are 8 legitimate reasons to be out and you need to get a chitty before you do.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/greece-imposes-lockdown-after-coronavirus-infections-jump

My buddy in Athens was raging about this because they put the lock down in place before any of the forms or anything were ready and changed the system three times before the full announcement, it led to much confusion.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

What are the military even for if we aren't gonna send them out for this, gently caress it turn our stupid carriers into mobile hospitals too.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

feedmegin posted:

This is what you get if you can't find bread. Surprising number of people forget to also get yeast, though.

Shitloads of bread though, but completely wiped out on every variety of flour, even the ones that are no use for that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Nah, it owns, forget the cringeworthy part. I think we're all finished with irony at this point

You're absolutely right, and this:

Azza Bamboo posted:

My mum's a nurse and made use of the 9am shop at Tesco. The staff applauded them on the way in and gave everyone a bunch of flowers (probably mothers day stock they couldn't shift).

made me a little emotional. Even if it is stuff headed for the bin, someone still had to have the humanity to think of doing this.

People are often selfish, frequently dumb, and almost invariably have ridiculous opinions, but most of them are still fundamentally good, and we need to remind ourselves of this occasionally otherwise whats the point?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What are the military even for if we aren't gonna send them out for this, gently caress it turn our stupid carriers into mobile hospitals too.
Bombing brown people. Brimstone™. Failed attempts at gunboat diplomacy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Friend just posted this on facebook: NB by 5pm TODAY

IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE SELF EMPLOYED. Please email if you can. The treasury select committee are asking people to contact them to ask if the treasury’s response to coronavirus has been enough. Email tsc@parliament.uk to ask for more support for the self employed and freelancers by 5pm today.
MARTIN LEWIS said so...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1242062590538321920?s=21

Prime Minister Raab. Jesus.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Went to the co-op over the road from me because I was running low on milk. No bread or loo roll but plenty of milk, most of the fresh meat had all gone except some bacon and sausages and various breaded chicken pieces which I'm loathe to freeze

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh look I heard back from the landlord about trying to leave before contract.

Not even an attempt to seem sympathetic! This isn't even from a sole landlord, I'm renting from a big plc company that can absolutely afford to take the hit.

I will not be paying, gently caress 'em. They can get me through the courts if they care so much (and can find me).

They don't need to find you to issue a CCJ. If you leave no forwarding address they can issue summons to last know address (usually the place you've just been renting) and this would count as legal service of notice.

You may not find out about it until it appears on your credit file.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're absolutely right, and this:

made me a little emotional. Even if it is stuff headed for the bin, someone still had to have the humanity to think of doing this.

People are often selfish, frequently dumb, and almost invariably have ridiculous opinions, but most of them are still fundamentally good, and we need to remind ourselves of this occasionally otherwise whats the point?

I think people are fundamentally poo poo, but I also think we need to look after them anyway. But otherwise yeah, it's cool. Cling onto stuff like this I guess

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tsietisin posted:

They don't need to find you to issue a CCJ. If you leave no forwarding address they can issue summons to last know address (usually the place you've just been renting) and this would count as legal service of notice.

You may not find out about it until it appears on your credit file.

And precisely how hosed are you with a CCJ because honestly half of me wants to take the hit on principle

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

And precisely how hosed are you with a CCJ because honestly half of me wants to take the hit on principle

It stays on your record for 6 years.

My relative has CCJs falling out of her ears, lives on benefits and was able to get a mortgage. Meanwhile yours truly, perfect credit record, never missed a payment on a previously held mortgage, the computer says no.
Do not ask me how, I have no idea. She is slim, pretty, blonde and does a good 'quivering lower lip' act. Has got off with a caution for things (fiddling the electric meter for example by drilling a hole in the back and inserting a fine needle just to drag the spinning wheel) that would have me clapped up in irons in the deepest dungeons or breaking rocks in Alcatraz for 20 years.

Ed: and as we already mentioned, they will only be 2 weeks short because presumably they will keep your deposit. There are going to be thousands of these in the future resulting from this crisis. I doubt it will have much impact going forward. BUT I'm not a financial advisor.

Ed2: Another relative had £42k debts and walked away. Lay low for 7 years and they're all written off. No problem at all now getting credit cards etc.

Why yes, all my pretty relatives are crooks.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

My partner has broken our isolation a couple of times to go for a walk along the Exe, which is directly outside our flat complex. To get there she only needs to touch the building door handle and the button to get out of the outer gate, and the buttons to get back in, all of which she does with her sleeve or something, which immediately then goes in the wash. When she walks, she'll see maybe two or three other people along our length doing the same thing, and they'll be, like, 200 metres away most of the time (and certainly never close than ten)

I think I already know the answer, but this is probably as close as we get to safety as we can get without absolute, total lockdown, right? I can cope fine, since I'm a fucken goon (haven't left the flat for a week now, and I'm sailing along just fine) but she can't bear it for more than three or four days at a time, despite my gently nudging her to lump it.

Should I nudge harder?