Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I think McDs is dependent on the franchisee because I drove past my local around lunchtime and there was a massive queue for the drive through

and there are definitely multiple local Subways still open for takeaway orders

McDonalds said they would be closing from tonight, presumably so they have a chance to actually properly communicate to the franchisees/empty the fridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Heard from a chum that he's had his car broken into over night. Hand sanitizer stolen.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's a UK doctor who works with critical covid patients doing an AMA on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fnl0n6/im_a_critical_care_doctor_working_in_a_uk_high/

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/SSorene/status/1242054472341299201

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What measures did Italy have in place at the 14 day period? Although as people have said there's a lead time on measures having an effect.
According to wikipedia: local restrictions began around the time of their first death, a large expansion around day 16 on the graph, then national lockdown off my chart's axis. But of course all of those were meant to make the situation better not worse. it doesn't explain why the UK numbers have remained lower despite a massively bungled 'socal distancing'.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Made the mistake of telling my mum that my brother is probably, definitely going to get it. His partner's a pharmacist, he works for a mental health charity who mostly seem to be making videos of footballers telling people to stay home and relax atm, but apparently needs to be in full time after using up his sick days.

One of my cousins is also in isolation with his family on their farm. If they can't get a food delivery out there like they normally do then I have been warned my chest freezer will be raided. Knew I shouldn't have given mum a key to my house.

All the forestry contracts I do consultancy work on have been pushed back a few months. Even though one of them is next to popular camping grounds and it would be a brilliant time to have 2-3 guys out there chopping down trees with no interruptions. Job's a nightmare when random campers are constantly walking/loving/making GBS threads around the work site.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

good news everyone. HMRC have promised to take it easy on non-resident citizens who, due to the pandemic, have unexpectedly found themselves stuck in the UK for longer than usually allowed without being considered resident again for tax purposes

https://www.ft.com/content/e48c1ea2-6d1a-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

quote:

The UK tax authorities have taken steps to allay the fears of British expatriates stuck in the UK because of the coronavirus crisis and worried they might fall foul of tough tax-residence rules.

HM Revenue & Customs has declared that people who face impairing their non-residence tax status through having to stay in the UK longer than planned could apply for special treatment under “exceptional circumstances” regulations.

The decision was welcomed by tax advisers who said they could not recall HMRC ever before promising such a wide-ranging concession in advance of reviewing individual tax returns.

Advisers said that, while tax officials had previously accepted pleas for special treatment in the event of, for example, a volcano eruption or the 2014 Ebola crisis in Africa, they have not issued such a sweeping promise of flexibility.

“The revenue has never done anything like this before,” said Simon Goldring, a partner at law firm McDermott Will and Emery. “I have never seen the revenue respond so fast to help people.”

HMRC said in a guidance note on March 19 that the pandemic may affect people living abroad who want to move freely to and from the UK, and may require them to remain unexpectedly in the UK.

It said it would treat as exceptional circumstances the cases of people quarantined in the UK or asked by a health professional or public health guidance to self-isolate in the UK; those advised by official government advice not to travel out of the UK; those unable to leave because of border closures; and those asked by an employer to return temporarily to the UK because of the virus.

The HMRC note said a final decision “will always depend on the facts and circumstances of each individual case”.

HMRC said the change was “not a blanket ruling and should be read in conjunction with existing guidance, and does not represent a change in the rules or requirements for determining tax residency.”

Under UK tax law, depending on personal ties to the UK, non-residents can spend 16 to 183 days in Britain before they have to start paying UK tax. Above 183 days they are considered UK residents.

HMRC grants each non-resident an additional 60 days for exceptional circumstances such as births, deaths, sudden and life-threatening illness or injury.

It said it was “keeping the situation under review” after tax advisers called for even more flexibility by relaxing the 60-day limit. Mr Goldring said: “HMRC should go further to provide an unrestricted extension for Covid-19, in appropriate circumstances.”

Some 5.5m British citizens live abroad, including professionals in the US and Hong Kong, pensioners in Spain and Portugal, and millionaires in tax havens such as Monaco.

In the tax year ending April 2019, there were 223,000 non-resident taxpayers, said HMRC. More than 2,600 non-resident taxpayers claimed at least one day in the UK as being because of exceptional circumstances.

Nimesh Shah, a partner at accountancy firm Blick Rothenberg, said taxpayers seeking to benefit from the ruling should ensure all the paperwork was in order. Officials might probe a claim in 18-24 months’ time “when the present situation may be a distant memory and HMRC not as sympathetic or lenient.”

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

Today's Barfish Breakfast Birb (tm) is the Hedge Warbler, which is a much nicer name than the more common English name of Dunnock:

They sound lovely :3:

A while back but dunnock sounds quite cute too!
Either way a sweet little bird. :kimchi:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

baka kaba posted:

There's a UK doctor who works with critical covid patients doing an AMA on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fnl0n6/im_a_critical_care_doctor_working_in_a_uk_high/

lmao no chance in hell I'm reading that, I'm anxious enough as it is

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pablo Bluth posted:

According to wikipedia: local restrictions began around the time of their first death, a large expansion around day 16 on the graph, then national lockdown off my chart's axis. But of course all of those were meant to make the situation better not worse. it doesn't explain why the UK numbers have remained lower despite a massively bungled 'socal distancing'.

we're not testing enough, we're discouraging people from even contacting 111 except if it gets serious, so that's skewing the confirmed cases. And all the bungling has really been in the last couple of weeks, so the effects of that will only just be starting to show as symptoms. And there's probably a bunch of factors that go into exactly how quickly the spread takes off (which probably becomes more consistent once it's really taken hold)

we still have more deaths than Italy did at the same stage though, which isn't a good sign for our true number of cases

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I want to take your viral load.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ThomasPaine posted:

lmao no chance in hell I'm reading that, I'm anxious enough as it is

there's only a few ansers so far, but it mostly looks like good advice, a rundown of where we're at and why the government has been so poo poo, and some knowledge about things like how clinical trials work, advice about isolation and medication, that kind of thing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

baka kaba posted:

i live with one lol

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ratty's a doctor??

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
my partner's best pal works as a doc and apparently a breakdown in communication led to the entire room she was in being exposed to covid without any warning and nobody wearing the proper PPE, but they can't stop her working because they need all hands on deck so she's just on a list to be monitored for symptoms, so that's cool and reassuring

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
A statement is going out at half 8... Curfew? Lock down?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

baka kaba posted:

we still have more deaths than Italy did at the same stage though, which isn't a good sign for our true number of cases
I'm not so sure now. I think all the graphs aligning up using 'day of the tenth death' is shifting the UK data too much. It suggests we're three weeks behind when we get a better correlation at two weeks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

when's The Ledge doing his "look what you made me do" full military lockdown announcement anyway

Ash Crimson posted:

A statement is going out at half 8... Curfew? Lock down?

oh right

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 23, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1242150751935266821

we're getting locked down hopefully

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
poo poo, I hope i've got enough food...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

In the latest grim news; Spanish soldiers drafted in to help have been finding the corpses of abandoned old people...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/spain-distributes-650000-testing-kits-as-coronavirus-deaths-rise-steeply

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

poo poo, I hope i've got enough food...

You've got 2 hours notice so can rush out if need be, and anyway, even in Italy you're still able to get a pass to go to the shops. You're going to be able to get food. Don't panic, please.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

ratty's a doctor??

Lol

My sister was about to finish her time in ITU to become a psychiatrist full time when she got informed she was staying on ITU another 4 months minimum and her ward became the hospital's dedicated covid19 ward

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

You've got 2 hours notice so can rush out if need be, and anyway, even in Italy you're still able to get a pass to go to the shops. You're going to be able to get food. Don't panic, please.

This is a dumb question, but are takeaways still able to operate in places that are locked down? Or are just supermarkets etc staying open but not places selling prepared food?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

oh ffs, good timing.

While a lockdown is obviously the right thing to do I very much hope we're given at least a day's grace period before full enforcement. I really do not want to be stuck here.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm not so sure now. I think all the graphs aligning up using 'day of the tenth death' is shifting the UK data too much. It suggests we're three weeks behind when we get a better correlation at two weeks.

how come? I mean in the absence of any serious testing regime, it's not really possible to compare the number of cases, but deaths are much easier to track no? I don't know why they picked the 10th death as the reference point, but I assume it's some kind of minimum significance as far as the spread goes, where it's considered to be established or whatever

I mean part of the reason for these visualisations is to show how the spread has developed over time, so it's not necessarily about correlation, right? A country that was doing better at a particular stage won't really correlate to another's case growth, but you can still compare them. Or do you mean something else?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Julio Cruz posted:

Waterside? please tell me they've changed the gate combination since I last delivered pizza there in approximately 2014

lol no, although I'm curious about what the combination is

6969?

EDIT tell me it wasn't 1488

EDIT EDIT

forkboy84 posted:

Stop nudging her. You can still go out, walk around, breathing fresh air is good for you. Exercise is good for you. Just use your brain: keep a reasonable distance from people, resist touching poo poo unnecessarily, don't go meeting up with people.

Yeah, this is where I'm at too, was just looking for confirmation/validation. I'm plenty paranoid about the actual logistics of it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

Lol

My sister was about to finish her time in ITU to become a psychiatrist full time when she got informed she was staying on ITU another 4 months minimum and her ward became the hospital's dedicated covid19 ward

well that sure sucks

make her some nice meals jose

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

well that sure sucks

make her some nice meals jose

that huge stew i made was for when we're both stuck in the house ill as gently caress

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

oh ffs, good timing.

While a lockdown is obviously the right thing to do I very much hope we're given at least a day's grace period before full enforcement. I really do not want to be stuck here.

People not wanting to "be stuck here" really didn't work out well for Italy.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Got enough stuff in to hopefully last a week and a bit, also hope that I can half inch some printing from my flat mates so that I can print out a "just going to get food" form.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz4bh9L172U

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

oh ffs, good timing.

You need to lock stuff down without warning or else it's all the surrounding areas and holiday parks which then suffer the wave of transmission.

That said they've really hosed this up (again) if they go into lock down now - a weekend of spreading in pubs on friday, parks over the weekend and work on Monday and THEN they decide to clamp down.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Things are going to get pretty grim around here

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, my decision to order in KFC for lunch today was perfectly timed!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

oh ffs, good timing.

I get it sucks because you wanted to get out but this is if anything too late.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

lol no, although I'm curious about what the combination is

6969?

EDIT tell me it wasn't 1488

it was 2580, which was a) common knowledge to every current and former Domino's driver and probably every taxi driver too and b) exceptionally obvious from looking at the wear on the keypad at the gate

e: there were a few more key codes like that that everyone knew, I'm pretty sure I can still remember the code for the complex at the Exe Bridges end of Bonhay Road opposite the gym because it was a famous date

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

namesake posted:

You need to lock stuff down without warning or else it's all the surrounding areas and holiday parks which then suffer the wave of transmission.

That said they've really hosed this up (again) if they go into lock down now - a weekend of spreading in pubs on friday, parks over the weekend and work on Monday and THEN they decide to clamp down.

I've been going along with the assumption that the government really, really, doesn't want to be seen as inconveniencing anyone. They only closed the pubs after getting pressure from Scotland/the NHS (and even then didn't really close them, until there was news reports saying the pubs were full on Friday night). They haven't put in a full lockdown until loads of people were absolute idiots over the weekend and the media criticised the public. At no point has the government taken the load and acted before they "had" to. They're using the media (and their own briefings to the media) to make all their actions look like they've been forced to do it. If only the public had all been 100% rational actors and voluntarily self isolated for two months at the same time we'd be fine!

This is why the public are approving of the government. They're merely waiting until the last moment and doing the bare minimum.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It’s because Johnson wants more than anything for people to like him. And to do gently caress all actual work - he wants that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
We've got enough food to last maybe four or five days, I reckon. Hopefully they'll have distributed passes by then.

Julio Cruz posted:

it was 2580, which was a) common knowledge to every current and former Domino's driver and probably every taxi driver too and b) exceptionally obvious from looking at the wear on the keypad at the gate

e: there were a few more key codes like that that everyone knew, I'm pretty sure I can still remember the code for the complex at the Exe Bridges end of Bonhay Road opposite the gym because it was a famous date

I'll give it a punt when we're free, see if I can get in. For fun

And it's not a famous date anymore lol