Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Who’s the butthole that has the Uncle Sam billboard on the northbound side of I-5 saying to drain the Olympia swamp and reinstate noted white supremacist Matt Shea?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Sam_billboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Conservatives loving love billboards to the point that it's a little weird

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's the endgame bumper sticker

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If the ladder had not been kicked out from above me, it would be me owning that billboard and posting dickbutt

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Well this is totally out of left field.

https://twitter.com/waltgov/status/1240693420798013440?s=20

https://twitter.com/waltgov/status/1240693425248169984?s=20

https://twitter.com/waltgov/status/1240693432554676224?s=20

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The gently caress? Jumping ship to *checks notes* *squints* the Catholic Church? Is that right?

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw an article yesterday in the Oregonian about a possible shelter in place order for Portland itself. Has anybody heard anything else beyond that or is that just something that's on the table?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Eh, the shithouse rumor is a national shelter in place tomorrow night so who knows.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Combatace posted:

I saw an article yesterday in the Oregonian about a possible shelter in place order for Portland itself. Has anybody heard anything else beyond that or is that just something that's on the table?

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavi...icials-say.html

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
My friend works for the Hospital and she says the national order to drop a nuclear bomb on Seattle has been approved and it’s only a few days until they push the button god bless

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Yes - people aren't following the orders right now about gathering in groups, and if a shelter in place order comes down without a change in behavior it's unlikely they'll follow the shelter order either. Don't gather in groups and don't do unnecessary travel versus shelter in place doesn't have that much of a public health impact if either is followed, so the challenge is to convince people to follow the guidelines we already have rather than hoping that some new order will actually change behavior.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Chinese police worked on that by flying drones around that would name and shame people who were wandering around outside.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kaal posted:

Chinese police worked on that by flying drones around that would name and shame people who were wandering around outside.
The videos looked like they weren't targeting people congregating, though, just confused octogenarians trying to find food.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Authoritarianism is a really poor substitute for an educated populace and a reliable, trust worthy, honest media.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mr. Dick posted:

Authoritarianism is a really poor substitute for an educated populace and a reliable, trust worthy, honest media.

It's true, Germany is doing excellently.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the Seattle thread: King County is looking for medical supply donations; I'm on a mailing list for volunteering at the King County Clinic, but I don't see any reason not to share this stuff; if any of the healthcare workers in here think otherwise, let me know and I'll stop, but I figure if they're willing to tell it to "dude who helped set up some computers this one time," they're probably down for it to be shared to everyone; links for other counties and the whole state (if you happened to be managing a factory that can make N95 masks) are there, too:

quote:

As you know due to the COVID-19 outbreak, fire, emergency medical services, police, and medical facilities in the region are in critical need of personal protective equipment (PPE) for their personnel. The City of Seattle, Public Health - Seattle & King County and the Washington State Department of Health are joining forces to solicit donations. Supplies needed at this time include new and unused N95, P100 and surgical masks, gloves, disposable gowns, eyewear, and more.

Please help us connect people and organizations you know with this effort! Think creatively about industries and contacts who may have these supplies on hand.

Anyone from King County who has supplies available, please fill out this short survey. Upon receiving the information, City employees will follow up with the donor to determine the best option for drop-off or pick-up of donations.

Those outside of King County, please complete this survey.

The State of Washington is also working to identify needs and fill shortages. The State is soliciting donations from large companies, purchasing from sources outside of normal contracts, and coordinating with manufacturers that are willing to shift gears and repurpose their manufacturing operations. Companies that can alter operations to support this effort should contact Impact Washington Center Director Deloit Wolfe, dwolfe@impactwashington.org or 425-681-6798.

For those of you on the front-lines of the COVID-19 response, we deeply appreciate your service! For all others, please remember to do your part by honoring social distancing, staying home when you are sick, and practicing good public health hygiene.

Our sincere thanks to all of you for doing what the SKCC community does best - coming together to contribute to a community need.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Everett's mayor put down a directive to stay at home, but I get the feeling nobody's gonna listen. I still see lots of people out there going to work and shopping.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Everett's mayor put down a directive to stay at home, but I get the feeling nobody's gonna listen. I still see lots of people out there going to work and shopping.

Inslee is doing a televised address to the state tonight and I assume it's going to be a statewide shelter in place thing. Obviously we don't know the details but in the Bay Area shelter order I believe they had the authority to charge you with a gross misdemeanor for violating the order, up to $500 fine and/or 180 days in jail. I'm sure they won't be putting people in jail right now for it and obviously some people will still ignore it, but hopefully the legal threat will help with compliance.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I have to wonder if Boeing was tipped off a little early to get them shut down before a possible widespread announcement. I can’t imagine you can just lock the doors on the factory and leave it there for two weeks on a whim.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

I have to wonder if Boeing was tipped off a little early to get them shut down before a possible widespread announcement. I can’t imagine you can just lock the doors on the factory and leave it there for two weeks on a whim.

The Boeing shutdown isn't immediate, it's two weeks starting as of the 25th, so they have a couple days to get ready for it. And I assume (or at least hope) they started planning for a shutdown at some point earlier.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

gohuskies posted:

The Boeing shutdown isn't immediate, it's two weeks starting as of the 25th, so they have a couple days to get ready for it. And I assume (or at least hope) they started planning for a shutdown at some point earlier.

Oh sure, it’s been floating around as a possibility for weeks now. It could all just be folks arriving at the same conclusion at the same time.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Stay home order now official state wide in Oregon.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

County government IT here - starting tomorrow we're going full, 100% remote. poo poo just got real.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Seattle Parks is still waffling. It looks like we’re still being leaned on a lot for homeless support. I’m in a meeting now about using community centers as overflow so shelters can enact proper social distancing. I’m planning to grab some shifts with this but it keeps getting postponed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
WA under the stay at home order now. Not sure when it starts exactly.

EDIT: Starts now for residents and in 48 hours for businesses.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 24, 2020

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/gaskill_jr/status/1242305027315773441?s=19

We are never going to survive

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

News is that Boeing is going to require you to have an authorized letter from the company to drive to any site in the Puget Sound after today.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

it's actually dope as hell

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1242304969111408643

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I was really referring to mr gaskill. Inmates dying because a guard cant self quarantine is cursed as hell and I hope the escapees live crime free lives from here on out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oscar Wild posted:

I hope the escapees live crime free lives from here on out.

reposting because it keeps getting taken down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vrwO_DWnPY

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 24, 2020

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Ban the badge

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

News is that Boeing is going to require you to have an authorized letter from the company to drive to any site in the Puget Sound after today.

I don't even know if you're joking. I don't work for Boeing, but I got my letter last week from my company. It's super awesome.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's my understanding that a lot of companies are sending those out despite it not being required currently, so it doesn't actually mean anything yet. I've been considering making one on my business letterhead since it would have about as much legal force and is about as likely to matter.

I love how Oregon wants to send everyone "non-essential" home, but we still have to have an extra redundant person finish their cigarette and walk over to touch the gas dispensers before we can buy gas. 48 other states manage without that guy and we're already unemploying people en masse for t h e g r e a t e r g o o d, but not the single least essential possible position it is currently possible to be employed in

Safety!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

I don't even know if you're joking. I don't work for Boeing, but I got my letter last week from my company. It's super awesome.

Nope not joking.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

1glitch0 posted:

If they are going to keep take out restaurants and grocery stores open I doubt they are going to be randomly stopping people during a pandemic asking for papers.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

logger posted:

If they are going to keep take out restaurants and grocery stores open I doubt they are going to be randomly stopping people during a pandemic asking for papers.

The Boeing letter is so that Boeing security doesn't issue you a ticket. You can also get a CAM (corrective action memo) from management if they see you inside a building. If you get two CAMs for the same thing you get fired but I doubt they're playing around with that right now.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

logger posted:

I doubt it. But then why give me a paper?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

I doubt it. But then why give me a paper?

WA Department of Commerce put out a statement saying that these "I am essential" papers are not necessary and for people to please stop spreading rumors that they are. Apparently Boeing doing it for internal reasons got other companies thinking that they should do it too and now enough are doing it that people might be thinking it's mandatory when it's not. It's just managers and business owners being dumb.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Javid posted:

It's my understanding that a lot of companies are sending those out despite it not being required currently, so it doesn't actually mean anything yet. I've been considering making one on my business letterhead since it would have about as much legal force and is about as likely to matter.

I love how Oregon wants to send everyone "non-essential" home, but we still have to have an extra redundant person finish their cigarette and walk over to touch the gas dispensers before we can buy gas. 48 other states manage without that guy and we're already unemploying people en masse for t h e g r e a t e r g o o d, but not the single least essential possible position it is currently possible to be employed in

Safety!

Safety seems pretty essential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

gohuskies posted:

WA Department of Commerce put out a statement saying that these "I am essential" papers are not necessary and for people to please stop spreading rumors that they are. Apparently Boeing doing it for internal reasons got other companies thinking that they should do it too and now enough are doing it that people might be thinking it's mandatory when it's not. It's just managers and business owners being dumb.

I got my paper through the company but it was from DHS. And it was before Boeing declared they were closing down. It was last week. I assume it's not needed, but getting a bad vibe getting an a letter from DHS marked "Unclassified" and told by management to have it on me or in my car. Not the best way to reassure an already tense staff.