Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

colas posted:

Combine lack of wine with a lack of hot yoga and you're gonna wish your rear end namastayed home.

I envision a near future where instead of spike-wearing marauders rolling around Mad Max style we'll have roving complaints of Karens spreading like a tsunami of locust leaving picked-dry piles of manager bones behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KING OV HELL
Apr 2, 2014
I'm working from home and just heard a poo poo load of car horns. At first I thought it was some kids or something, then when it didn't stop I went to the window to see if there was a fire or terrorist attack. Nope, just a gang of about 20+ SUVs and vans with messages to teachers painted on their windows? I'm guessing it was parents or School staff trying to prevent teachers from offing themselves while their lives are destroyed by this.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Either German geriatrics are immune to the virus, or nobody is seriously testing a lot of people.

France is sitting around 15k cases since a week or so, but has close to 700 dead. 5% death rate

UK has 5k cases, but over 300 dead. 6% death rate.

Germany is closing in on 30k cases, but has like 120 dead. 0.4%

Now granted, Germany has the most ICU beds in Europe, but the data also says that there are as of yet few patients in the ICU, while France's hospitals are collapsing. Which means that the 16k number must be complete and utter bullshit.

So even though Germany is the only large country with low death rate, chances are good that data is actually closer to the "truth" than elsewhere, and all the case numbers we see in Italy, Spain, UK, France etc. are completely underestimating what's going on.

I thought it was pretty much known most countries are not testing extensively and the numbers are meaningless? Belgium and France admitted it from start. Belgian officials said recently the real numbers are probably around 10 times more.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

colas posted:

Combine lack of wine with a lack of hot yoga and you're gonna wish your rear end namastayed home.

Lol

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242120391054757900

Good news!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

So looking at things from New cases per day

NY has 5000 new cases just on their own... Out of about 8000

NJ has another 900, they are across the river from NYC

They have more new cases, as of this writing, than any other country, including Italy,China, Iran... Just with the NY cases alone, ignoring all other US cases

NY/NJ area account for more than 70% of all new cases in the US

NY isn't just Italy-hosed, they are turbo-hosed

China definitely has more cases than NY, their numbers have just been completely full of poo poo the entire time. The fact people are believing their “no new cases” thing blows my loving mind.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I thought it was pretty much known most countries are not testing extensively and the numbers are meaningless? Belgium and France admitted it from start. Belgian officials said recently the real numbers are probably around 10 times more.

The mayor of San Jose, CA was on the radio this morning, he said there were 300 cases in the area, but to assume that there were 100x that number. At least he's not sugar coating...

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

it's worth noting that even though drinking and eating crap might seem like the logical thing to do, (besides not getting enough sleep) sugar and alcohol are some of the worst things you can do for your immune system

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Florida Man! I know that guy!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I found the article linked earlier in thread in English and not paywalled
Worth a read

Scary af tho, can be so contagious you get it passing by on street

https://www.berlingske.dk/nyheder/a-doctor-in-the-faroe-islands-was-puzzled-by-a-mysterious-pattern-are

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My covid researching buddies being actively trolled by PETA:

https://twitter.com/peta/status/1242164446304272390

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Buy stock in Mylan, I guess. They manufacture hydroxychloroquine.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

colas posted:

You joke but the looting will be driven by wine moms who can't get their fix and will flout distancing by having spontaneous yoga-ins.

Also someone asked if there's a term for people too dumb to engage in distancing and other appropriate behavior and it looks like twitter has decided on #covidiots

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

pixaal posted:

Trump retweeting a NY Post article about Florida Man. that's quite the trifecta.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

This sure seems like a good time for me to pull out my asthma inhaler for the first time in a while and discover it's running pretty low.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Scaramouche posted:

You joke but the looting will be driven by wine moms who can't get their fix and will flout distancing by having spontaneous yoga-ins.

Also someone asked if there's a term for people too dumb to engage in distancing and other appropriate behavior and it looks like twitter has decided on #covidiots

It just hit me - Trump's "covfefe". Maybe he really is a traveller from the future, and the warning got garbled during the transition.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, a slightly less paranoid version of that would be the fact that alcoholics with severe DTs would need medical treatment and be a strain on services.

It's not paranoid, liquor stores face higher incidences of break in and theft than other retailers already, full stop. That's why when a neighborhood cleans up and the stores start taking bars off their windows the liquor stores either don't or do so a lot later, because they're often specifically excluded from ordinances about barred windows as a high-risk business.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

mike12345 posted:

It just hit me - Trump's "covfefe". Maybe he really is a traveller from the future, and the warning got garbled during the transition.

That's also why he wanted to build the wall. He says so much insane stuff for no reason you can probably make a very convincing argument that he's a time traveler here to save the future from whatever.

Anyway this is now the Covfefe virus.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Zero VGS posted:

My covid researching buddies being actively trolled by PETA:

https://twitter.com/peta/status/1242164446304272390

What's the better way? Give the animals to PETA and let PETA kill them instead?

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 23, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

pixaal posted:

Trump did change his residency from NY to Florida a while back. Trump is Florida man.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jay_Zombie posted:

What's the better way? Give the animals to PETA adn let PETA kill them instead?

Just release them into the wild, they'll figure it out. None of the weird poo poo they put in the animals will possibly do any long term damage when a predictor kills them or they mate.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

pixaal posted:

this year is already as wash 2021 HAS to be better.

Been saying that for a few years now, eh

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 23, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

quote:

Giardinieri said he contacted an infectious disease doctor about the drug.

“He gave me all the reasons why I would probably not want to try it because there are no trials, there’s no testing, it was not something that was approved,” said Giardinieri.

“And I said, ‘Look, I don’t know if I’m going to make it until the morning,’ because at that point I really thought I was coming to the end because I couldn’t breathe anymore,” Giardinieri continued.

“He agreed and authorized the use of it and 30 minutes later the nurse gave it to me.”

"I was on the verge of death but was somehow able to get ahold of an infectious disease doctor who told me no becuase it was a bad idea, then I said 'pretty please,' so he said oh okay and I received the unapproved medicine almost immediately. Then I quickly recovered thanks to the healing powers of random medicine and god and doctor president science trump."

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Buy stock in Mylan, I guess. They manufacture hydroxychloroquine.

So does Sanofi, Teva and many others. It's not patented. Buy stock in the API (active somethingsomething ingredient) companies instead. They are the ones sitting on the gold mine. Luckily for those, who like my wife, are dependent on this medication permanently, it doesn't seem to be difficult or expensive to produce in massive amounts. If it turns out to be the wonderdrug against the virus, I reckon it's going to be mass-produced basically everywhere.

Oh, and one of my wife's relatives (same chronic illness - Lupus) went almost completely blind on one eye from hydroxychloroquine. So if this is going to be given in large doses to the entire human race, stocks in companies making glasses is probably where's it going to be at.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
e: nm fake news

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

PederP posted:

Oh, and one of my wife's relatives (same chronic illness - Lupus) went almost completely blind on one eye from hydroxychloroquine. So if this is going to be given in large doses to the entire human race, stocks in companies making glasses is probably where's it going to be at.

Other possible suggestions:

maybe the companies that make those red and white canes (not of the candy variety)

Seeing eye dog training companies

Glass eyeball artists

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Quebec essential services remaining open:

Food
Drug stores
Liquor stores
Cannabis stores

You can also still get gas so you can drive to get your food, meds, booze and weed.

Two thirds of our economy shut down for "3 weeks".

Ontario also closing all non-essential businesses starting tomorrow.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Next time someone claims shutting everything down is an unprecedented over-reaction, you can show them this:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/history/kelowna-spanish-flu-pandemic-2188106

At the time everything was shut down they didn't even have any cases in the city.

quote:

While the coronavirus is unprecedented in the modern era, the world has seen similar circumstances – such as the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918.

A public notice from the City of Kelowna on Oct. 19, 1918 stated: "In order to prevent the spread of Spanish Influenza all schools, public and private, churches, theatres, moving picture halls, pool rooms and other places of amusement, and lodge meetings, are to be closed until further notice. All public gatherings consisting of ten or more are prohibited."

Then, as now, the pandemic spread quickly – as did the reaction.

An excerpt from the Kelowna Record circa Oct. 24, 1918, five days later, reads: "The flu has reached Canada, but isn’t in Kelowna yet. People are asked to seclude themselves if they have travelled outside of the city." The article goes on to say: "To at once begin running around visiting friends is courting trouble. And – dare we say it – kissing must be barred for the present."

The Kelowna Record was only published once a week at the time, and the next edition published a story indicating public health officials were watching the situation and that a tent be placed on the public wharf for disinfecting passengers. A second article states "up to the present, Kelowna has been wonderfully favoured in the matter of escaping the prevailing 'flu' epidemic."

By the next printing, things had taken a dramatic turn, however. On Nov. 7, 1918, the Record printed the headline "four chinamen succumb to epidemic, which takes turn for the worse." The article went on say that all of Kelowna's then-Chinatown was under quarantine and that an emergency hospital was opened.

"Some twelve cases have been treated amongst white people," the article said. Children were advised not to play in groups on the street, and hand washing before eating was encouraged.

The next edition indicated the number of cases was diminishing, but the subheadline said "six orientals have died during the week, making total death roll of ten."

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Facebook Aunt posted:

Next time someone claims shutting everything down is an unprecedented over-reaction, you can show them this:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/history/kelowna-spanish-flu-pandemic-2188106

At the time everything was shut down they didn't even have any cases in the city.

Makes you wonder what the coronavirus pandemic would be like if we were only able to get updates once a week?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1242178534237405190

:stare:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's 14% of "closed cases", but only about 4.3% of the total number of known infections.

And the percentage is likely much lower in reality because the "confirmed" cases are only a fraction of the whole

Counterpoint: Who knows how many deaths attributed to "flu like illness" or "viral pneumonia NOS" were actually COVID. It's possible the number of deaths is UNDERSTATED :madmax:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

gently caress

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Ban cruise ships imo

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Like living still or dead viruses?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Boris is on TV. UK locked down, everyone to stay home except for commuting if you can’t work from home, food and medicine shopping as seldom as possible and one period of outdoor exercise per day.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Hazo posted:

"I was on the verge of death but was somehow able to get ahold of an infectious disease doctor who told me no becuase it was a bad idea, then I said 'pretty please,' so he said oh okay and I received the unapproved medicine almost immediately. Then I quickly recovered thanks to the healing powers of random medicine and god and doctor president science trump."

i wonder how many out there on their covid death bed would refuse to try these drugs just to spite trump lmao

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

Boris is on TV. UK locked down, everyone to stay home except for commuting if you can’t work from home, food and medicine shopping as seldom as possible and one period of outdoor exercise per day.

For the next 3 weeks....

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

The full text says:

quote:

SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020). Although these data cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces, further study of fomite transmission of SARS-CoV-2 aboard cruise ships is warranted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Intact viruses. Viruses don’t really qualify as dead or alive.