Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, it's so vague as to be meaningless.

My mate's boss is already telling him he'll need to go in to work and has sent him a letter to show police to prove he's a key worker. This essential key work? Facilities at an office that has been closed for a week already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jollity Farm posted:

Will have to check to see how many days of Fluoxetine I have left.

Should have set up an online delivery thing, but I didn't.

I hope this doesn't end badly.

:(

there is no way you will not be allowed out to get medicine. You should be ok.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I give it a week before they realise this is meaningless. People will take this as a challenge or find every exception/loophole they can muster.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Angepain posted:

there is no way you will not be allowed out to get medicine. You should be ok.

Getting medicine is a specific exception, yes.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What was that then? I'm allowed to go go to work but only if there's no more than 1 other person there?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Is public transport considered essential?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't normally go for a walk but now it's a government entitlement I somehow feel obliged to.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I'm really hoping for some clarification on the travelling to work bit of this. I'm half convinced that my boss is going to favour the looser interpretation of this.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

was planning on doing my weekly venture out into the world for shopping tomorrow but i have the feeling that the few left who are surprised by this will be panic buying to kingdom come. maybe thursday

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

I give it a week before they realise this is meaningless. People will take this as a challenge or find every exception/loophole they can muster.

That's... probably fine? Like as long as the majority of people obey this it will probably be enough to flatten the curve. We're not trying to completely stop the virus in two weeks, just keep the number of cases at least within touching distance of the ability of the NHS to cope.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gwaint posted:

poo poo.

I was just about to move to a new address - like literally in the next three days. I don't like where I live. I'm certain my move will be better for me in financial terms and mental health.
Does this mean those plans are out? I'm an essential worker (support worker for learning disabilities) so I'll still be going out to do my job. Or am I stuck living with people who love playing music until stupid o'clock in the morning for the foreseeable future?

Seriouspost: just do it. Odds are good you won't even see a police, because we don't have any, and even if you do, these instructions aren't any clearer to them than they are for us. Who exactly are they supposed to be stopping? And from doing what? How do they tell without stopping everyone?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's... probably fine? Like as long as the majority of people obey this it will probably be enough to flatten the curve. We're not trying to completely stop the virus in two weeks, just keep the number of cases at least within touching distance of the ability of the NHS to cope.

Of course not, don't be daft. It's three weeks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Non essential deliveries replaced with an ad hoc distributed exercise network of joggers and cyclists gradually relaying goods across the nation.

Thankfully I have my deliveroo outfit I signed up for and never used. Basically a free pass

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Azza Bamboo posted:

I don't normally go for a walk but now it's a government entitlement I somehow feel obliged to.

Agreed. Well, this was necessary and overdue honestly. But yeah, so vague as to be unenforceable.

Not that it really needs enforcement, the idea is to get the 90% of people who aren't dickheads to think more than anything.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Angepain posted:

was planning on doing my weekly venture out into the world for shopping tomorrow but i have the feeling that the few left who are surprised by this will be panic buying to kingdom come. maybe thursday

Yeah, I was going to try and pick a carton of eggs up tomorrow. Oh well.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Jollity Farm posted:

Will have to check to see how many days of Fluoxetine I have left.

Should have set up an online delivery thing, but I didn't.

I hope this doesn't end badly.

:(
You're still allowed out to get medication, and for anti-depressants you very definitely should, especially now. I've got enough sertraline in stock but if I didn't I'd 100% be going out for more. Going cold turkey on those is a bad idea at the best of times, but especially now when the world itself is so depressing and you can't meet friends in person...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Angepain posted:

I was going to say exactly this, except Thursday is probably the time that people with kids are going to start getting antsy and deciding to make a run to the shops. If it's a relatively big shop, Google Maps is your friend here - look it up and it'll give you an approximation of how busy the shop is.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
"It will be banned to shop for anything beyond essentials"

So does this mean supermarkets will be stopping selling things that aren't essentials? And what the gently caress is 'essential'? Can I buy crisps? Booze? Top up my power meter at a newsagent?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Non essential deliveries replaced with an ad hoc distributed exercise network of joggers and cyclists gradually relaying goods across the nation.

Thankfully I have my deliveroo outfit I signed up for and never used. Basically a free pass

I have enough spare plywood kicking about to put a plausible-looking pizza box on the back of my bike. You don't see *many* takeaways delivered on a Ducati Monster but needs must.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

So does this mean supermarkets will be stopping selling things that aren't essentials? And what the gently caress is 'essential'? Can I buy crisps? Booze? Top up my power meter at a newsagent?

Pretty much by definition it's "things sold in the shops allowed to stay open", nobody's going to be checking receipts.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My mate's boss is already telling him he'll need to go in to work and has sent him a letter to show police to prove he's a key worker. This essential key work? Facilities at an office that has been closed for a week already.

My place manufactures non-essential plastics, and really should have shut down operations a week ago, but the ballache is this announcement has come just as I'm going to start nights, so me and my coworkers have no loving clue and won't find out what is happening for the forseeable future until the day shift come in.

And I'm due to start in like an hour.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Well, it wouldn't be a totally bad thing for supermarkets to stop stocking unnecessary stuff (i.e. any product that I personally don't eat or don't use).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is this functionally different / more loophole-ridden than what Italy did? I imagine there will be fairly short shrift given to anybody taking the piss even a little bit

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RockyB posted:

Agreed. Well, this was necessary and overdue honestly. But yeah, so vague as to be unenforceable.

Not that it really needs enforcement, the idea is to get the 90% of people who aren't dickheads to think more than anything.

90% of people will justify doing whatever they want to do under the list of exceptions provided. You see it even on these forums where people have been constantly revealing that they've popped down the shops for a handful of things, but it's fine because they're concerned about how crazy other people are acting.

A walk around town is exercise, my boss said my job is essential, my household includes the guest wing and servants quarters etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Is this functionally different / more loophole-ridden than what Italy did? I imagine there will be fairly short shrift given to anybody taking the piss even a little bit

It's basically exactly what Italy did, with the addition of the German "no groups of more than two people".

Hmm, combining Italian and German ideas, I feel like this has been tried before...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pretty much by definition it's "things sold in the shops allowed to stay open", nobody's going to be checking receipts.

I can't remember which country but I know at least one of them is roping off aisles of non-essential goods in otherwise open supermarkets.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All citizens must shred on a JCM900?

You will get the purists riled up with that extra gain stage.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, it wouldn't be a totally bad thing for supermarkets to stop stocking unnecessary stuff (i.e. any product that I personally don't eat or don't use).

if I see the shops selling any flavours of monster munch except Flamin' Hot and Pickled Onion i'm going to chastise them for undermining the war effort

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It'll be interesting to see what dynamics this adds to shopping.

Like are we going to see another sudden spike in "essential" grocery shopping tomorrow (or right now) that clean the supermarkets out?

If the shops don't restock quick enough will that not just repeat day after day?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wonder are we supposed to write little notes like Italy to tell the police where we're going

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kin posted:

Like are we going to see another sudden spike in "essential" grocery shopping tomorrow (or right now) that clean the supermarkets out?

If the shops don't restock quick enough will that not just repeat day after day?

Shops will be manic tomorrow, yeah

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Pistol_Pete posted:

Agreed. Who needs salads, condoms and hygiene products.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T72TopWbXJg

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angepain posted:

Try "already". My sister is on the phone from London, and in her area at least every supermarket is still being picked clean as soon as the deliveries come in. Unless the government sort out food shipments and set armed guards at every shop to prevent hoard buying, the capital is 24 hours away from ripping itself to pieces.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fumble posted:

You will get the purists riled up with that extra gain stage.

I play with a Boss DS-2 through a PA amp, gently caress purists.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Kin posted:

nah, everyone will be expecting everyone to panic buy on tuesday, so noone will bother and they'll wait until wednesday to panic buy. but then people will catch onto that and panic buy on the thursday instead. but then if I've figured that out it must mean anyone else could and will do the same, so it's best to do the panic buying on the friday. But then...

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Chuka Umana posted:

Boris is shook

He looked poo poo scared

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I doubt we have enough cops to go full on with the enforcement.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Even though online shops seem to be remaining open I feel like it’d be bad of me to order too much stuff - wanted to get some home exercise gear but maybe I’ll have to make do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chuka Umana posted:

Only work that should be permitted is essential services.

No one should be leaving their house except for food and medicine and hygiene products

Until the government call for a rent/mortgage freeze people need to get paid. Until the government gives out food for free in Vietnam people will need to get paid. That's the reality of capitalism. Until the government force insurers to actually payout on their policies then people will keep their businesses open.

Also you're loving stupid if you think people shouldn't be allowed out for a walk/run/cycle. A) It's really good for our mental health. B) It's also good for our physical health. Which is important at a time like this. It's entirely possible to go for a wander while not being a loving eejit. I'm lucky, I live in a small village, I have a garden I can sit out in and read, wander around (not a huge space but better than nothing) while taking in fresh air. People in the cities probably don't.

Boris is getting enough poo poo advice, glad he's not listening to yours.

Really regretting not buying that GYBE vinyl when I was in HMV last week. Oh well, it'll still be there when this is over. Unless HMV goes out of business.