Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly I’m not sure how feasible something like that is. I have to imagine if they tried something like that it would be blocked by the courts.

That being said at some point if things get worse (which they probably will) it’s going to have to come to something like that.

It won't happen.

Some place institutes it, it gets challenged in the courts, and it gets slow walked over a few months and then we're on the case number downswing and it goes away quietly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Sydin posted:

I just don't think that would be politically feasible here. Maybe if/when we descend into Italy levels of deathrates and hospital impact something like that could gain traction, but for now there's no way in hell the populace at large would put up with it.

It will get bad sooner than you think. Right now cases in the US are growing way ahead of where it was in Italy before they did a country-wide shelter in place. Every country has averaged pretty much the same 1.33x daily case increase during the exponential growth phase.

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1241822325143715842
Today the US has 34,000 cases, that means:
Tomorrow: 45,220
Tuesday: 60,143
Wednesday: 79,990
Thursday: 106,386
Friday: 141,493
Saturday: 188,187
Sunday the 29th: 250,288

As long as it remains exponential, it will get bad more quickly than you think.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Chomp8645 posted:

Same here. As far as I can tell the industrial world instantly came up with ~reasoning~ why their business is "essential". Only bars/restaurants and (most) retail are complying. It's a farce right now and they'll have to come down with a much sterner order plus threat of enforcement to actual put us in a shutdown. We'll see what this next week brings.

I don't know about California but in Nevada the order concerned "public facing businesses". Job sites that don't interact with the general public like construction sites, manufacturing, truckers carrying more toilet paper because idiots won't stop doomsday prepping etc are probably are not gonna be super spreaders, and allow some people to make a wage while the feds have failed to suspend capitalism status quo with regards to credit cards, insurance, and the other usual suspects.

If I didn't have to take care of vulnerable people, if this was ten years ago, I'd go get one of those jobs at the grocery warehouses or something because the supply chain is being strained and stores and their distribution centers are practically hiring anyone who is willing to work, and not giving too much of a poo poo about employment gaps or experience. The unemployment rate is gonna explode, but in the short term people who can collect unemployment are probably not going to head back into the workforce until this poo poo grows at a slower pace.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Sydin posted:

I just don't think that would be politically feasible here. Maybe if/when we descend into Italy levels of deathrates and hospital impact something like that could gain traction, but for now there's no way in hell the populace at large would put up with it.

Plus American police can't be trusted to enforce things like this without shooting a bunch of people to death.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's a cultural thing probably. Maybe it's a problem with the English language itself. America perversely worships the individual. Basically to the point where limiting the free expression of a disease vector to travel about is a suggestion for that person, even if limiting that individual is better for the whole. It plays out in countless political theaters from guns to benefits.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lol sure, PG&E did something public and good yesterday. Because today...
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-23/pge-pleads-guilty-to-84-counts-of-manslaughter-over-paradise-fire

quote:

Pacific Gas & Electric announced Monday it has pleaded guilty to 84 counts of involuntary manslaughter related to California’s most destructive wildfire that burned much of Paradise, Calif., in 2018.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, PG&E said it reached the settlement with the Butte County district attorney’s office on March 17. Under the deal, PG&E said prosecutors won’t pursue further criminal charges.

PG&E also pleaded guilty to one count of causing a fire in violation of the state penal code.

“The Utility will be sentenced to pay the maximum total fine and penalty of approximately $3.5 million. The Agreement provides that no other or additional sentence will be imposed on the Utility in the criminal action in connection with the 2018 Camp fire,” PG&E said in its filing. “The Utility has also agreed to pay $500,000 to the Butte County District Attorney Environmental and Consumer Protection Fund to reimburse costs spent on the investigation of the 2018 Camp fire.”

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ah, the good 'ole fine the corporation for less than 1% of their annual profits for decades of malfeasance play. Surely this time the executives will learn their lesson.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

ahahaha less than $50,000 per person they admit to killing.

Definitely going to serve as a deterrent for a multi-billion dollar concern in the future. But at least the local DA's office got their payout, which is the real victory.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keep in mind this is just the criminal prosecution. Victims and their survivors can still sue in civil court: but at the moment I believe they and their lawyers are essentially parties in the company's bankruptcy as a substitute for that, and that's where the real financial hit will be for the company.

But it's still gross as gently caress to basically have a company say "yeah we did the manslaughters" but no individual or group of humans gets hit with any responsibility, as if a corporation could somehow kill people without human decisions that caused it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Leperflesh posted:

Keep in mind this is just the criminal prosecution. Victims and their survivors can still sue in civil court: but at the moment I believe they and their lawyers are essentially parties in the company's bankruptcy as a substitute for that, and that's where the real financial hit will be for the company.

But it's still gross as gently caress to basically have a company say "yeah we did the manslaughters" but no individual or group of humans gets hit with any responsibility, as if a corporation could somehow kill people without human decisions that caused it.

To quote The Devil's Dictionary: Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

Being a corporation is the best of both worlds. You're a person legally so you can be found guilty of crimes (instead of executives), but you're not a person physically so you can't be sent to jail.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leperflesh posted:

The corporate veil is bullshit, gently caress it. In any just legal system, the CEO and entire board of directors would get 10 years in prison for each person they killed, all of their assets seized, and the company municipalized. They've been following this exact same pattern of:
1) ask for rate increases to do maintenance
2) slashing the actual maintenance budget
3) pocket the difference
since the goddamn 90s. This isn't an accident, this is murder.

:guillotine:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Class Warcraft posted:

Plus American police can't be trusted to enforce things like this without shooting a bunch of people to death.

Yeah there's that too. People need to loving stay inside but empowering cops to enforce it in this country is not a recipe for success.

This poo poo is just going to keep happening and they'll continue to get away with it until the state steps in and takes their asses over.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My understanding is that PG&E’s bankruptcy process is “get your poo poo in gear by June or else you’ll have to sell yourself to the state.” This is probably elementary because otherwise it would have been a foregone conclusion.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

My understanding is that PG&E’s bankruptcy process is “get your poo poo in gear by June or else you’ll have to sell yourself to the state.” This is probably elementary because otherwise it would have been a foregone conclusion.

We're giving you one more chance not to incinerate dozens of people, or else we're going to pay you a fair price for your company while inheriting your horribly degrading and out of date assets!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My wife & I went out to target this weekend in the Fullerton/Anaheim area to grab some essential groceries. Maintained distance as much as possible from other people, washed our hands after & wiped everything down. There's been a significant drop in traffic in my area. Businesses are taking closing seriously, no restaurants are open to the public, the streets are fairly empty. Even target was mostly empty.

I have to go out every day due to my work being essential (healthcare), so I'm able to gauge traffic somewhat. There's been a major drop.

The worst spot I've seen it at is my apartment complex, where groups of 10-15 children are gathering to play, smokers are gathering together to socialize and folks are just kinda hanging out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

We're giving you one more chance not to incinerate dozens of people, or else we're going to pay you a fair price for your company while inheriting your horribly degrading and out of date assets!

I suspect a state takeover does not include buying out the stockholders. The reason the company is bankrupt is because, nominally at least, its liabilities are larger than its ability to pay, which implies a zero value of the stock; the reason the stock is above zero is the implied settlement of those liabilities; the state likely isn't obligated to accept a settlement of those debts that is generous to the stockholders.

E.g., the threat of takeover is a genuine threat to PG&E's owners, not a potential benefit.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I suspect a state takeover does not include buying out the stockholders. The reason the company is bankrupt is because, nominally at least, its liabilities are larger than its ability to pay, which implies a zero value of the stock; the reason the stock is above zero is the implied settlement of those liabilities; the state likely isn't obligated to accept a settlement of those debts that is generous to the stockholders.

E.g., the threat of takeover is a genuine threat to PG&E's owners, not a potential benefit.

I'm sure all of the retirees whose pensions depend on PG&E will be ruined. Let's put a pin in this and see if the c-level execs get golden parachutes and consulting jobs in about 6 months.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

My wife & I went out to target this weekend in the Fullerton/Anaheim area to grab some essential groceries. Maintained distance as much as possible from other people, washed our hands after & wiped everything down. There's been a significant drop in traffic in my area. Businesses are taking closing seriously, no restaurants are open to the public, the streets are fairly empty. Even target was mostly empty.

I have to go out every day due to my work being essential (healthcare), so I'm able to gauge traffic somewhat. There's been a major drop.

The worst spot I've seen it at is my apartment complex, where groups of 10-15 children are gathering to play, smokers are gathering together to socialize and folks are just kinda hanging out.

The park/playground in my neighborhood must have had 50 people/kids there yesterday. It was pretty wild.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

sincx posted:

I fully expect "pandemic" to be added to the list of objections to the next housing bill.

Why would there need to be a new housing bill, thousands of units are becoming available due to AirBnB collapse and soon there will be tens of thousands of deaths to free up more units of housing. Trump is completing the YIMBY goals.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

sincx posted:

I fully expect "pandemic" to be added to the list of objections to the next housing bill.

China and South Korea, with their famously non-dense cities

lmao

death 2 the new york times

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

fermun posted:

Today the US has 34,000 cases, that means:
Tomorrow: 45,220
Tuesday: 60,143
Wednesday: 79,990
Thursday: 106,386
Friday: 141,493
Saturday: 188,187
Sunday the 29th: 250,288

As long as it remains exponential, it will get bad more quickly than you think.

In less of a shitpost response to the stupid rear end NYT article, this was my post at 10:30ish pm yesterday, today at 10:30pm it was at 46,145. Covid comin', baby, and it won't spare us urban or rural, but urban at least is gonna have the ICU beds to have a lower fatality rate, rural areas are gonna get absolutely smashed. Things are going to be so so so very bad.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Zuul the Cat posted:

I live in Riverside and driving home from work in Anaheim freaked me out a bit since it was lighter than a Sunday morning. Not a single slowdown and this was without FasTrack. I was home in 25 mins.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

AC Transit is waiving fares on a lot of buses, just to avoid people near the driver. Board at the back, no seating near the front.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

If you're worried about hours being cut:
https://www.askamanager.org/2020/03/if-your-hours-have-been-cut-you-can-collect-unemployment-benefits.html

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I live in Riverside and driving home from work in Anaheim freaked me out a bit since it was lighter than a Sunday morning. Not a single slowdown and this was without FasTrack. I was home in 25 mins.

Every time I see folks gathered outside I think about how light traffic is when it’s normally bumper to bumper.

Anaheim to Riverside is 25 mins is nuts. I think far more folks are staying home than going out.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Zuul the Cat posted:

Every time I see folks gathered outside I think about how light traffic is when it’s normally bumper to bumper.

Anaheim to Riverside is 25 mins is nuts. I think far more folks are staying home than going out.

it's because people want to distance themselves from Corona

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The park/playground in my neighborhood must have had 50 people/kids there yesterday. It was pretty wild.
Kids are pretty much sick of being at home all day and a park is a nice way for them to get infected run around and burn off some energy.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Mitsuo posted:

+1 to this post

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

FilthyImp posted:

Kids are pretty much sick of being at home all day and a park is a nice way for them to get infected run around and burn off some energy.

Yeah, my sister hasn't done this yet and her kids are going fuckin' bonkers. I mean, they always would, but now they wake up and ask "is the bad cold gone yet?" and it's just like drat dude.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mitsuo posted:

Ba dum pshhhhhh

They’re gonna have to change the name of that city

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mitsuo posted:

:boom: very nice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Totally, but it's just wild to see parents let their kids run around a million other kids when there's a pandemic sweeping the world.

My 10yo totally had a meltdown because she couldn't sleep over at her friends house. She understands why perfectly well, but after a week of being stuck in the house, all of them are getting stir crazy. Thank god breweries in my area are selling to go cans or delivering or I'd be going bonkers too. We've been passing the time by doing a lot of family board game/video game/movie nights, but that only works for so long.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I drove home from OC to IE at 5pm yesterday.

I haven't done that in a decade.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Totally, but it's just wild to see parents let their kids run around a million other kids when there's a pandemic sweeping the world.
Y3ah, I get that. I was getting groceries the other day and I saw a couple of 20-somethings doing a photo shoot at the church across the street. Just some perfectly normal content for the gram while people are locked down.

Normalcy in this time is a little nutty.

quote:

after a week of being stuck in the house, all of them are getting stir crazy.
My one and a half year old walked from the living room to the kitchen yesterday. Kind of looked around a little then went back to the living room. I can tell the kids need a change of scenery. They were bouncing off the couch and trying to get into all kinds of poo poo today.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
When I was a kid and we got rowdy my dad would have us perform hard labor for the glory of the collective. Now I post here. Maybe you all should try the same?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LA is still loving up the testing. Guy at work got tested 6 days ago and his results are not back yet.

Another guy called because he has the symptoms and they said they wouldn't test him.

The news from the SF homeless shelters is scary too.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My 10yo totally had a meltdown because she couldn't sleep over at her friends house. She understands why perfectly well, but after a week of being stuck in the house, all of them are getting stir crazy. Thank god breweries in my area are selling to go cans or delivering or I'd be going bonkers too. We've been passing the time by doing a lot of family board game/video game/movie nights, but that only works for so long.

Introduce your kids to D&D or something so they can have an indoor hobby that still feels exciting and imaginative and new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My phone and watch keep getting repeatedly blasted with Nevada County emergency messages to stay home.

I live in Placer County.