Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Hahah whattup Coronabuddy. I sent gibberish messages to friends in my sleep and bought throwing knives with no recollection of doing it.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Noice. Except why do I feel like thats utter bullshit? Like the longer this goes on the more Hail Mary companies are going to be in order to be like "first!" Like some lovely YouTube comment. Like "ooh we found this drug has eliminates 23% of the virus in these specific testing environments! Push it live now!"

I wonder if this problem happened back in the spanish flu pandemic?

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

lol yeah he is right

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I wonder how many of the asymptomatic people are false positives though. Jamie, can you google that? (adjusts mic) Jamie is gonna google that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

I should mention that I am young, have no health issues, cook my own food, only drink water, don't smoke, exercise and walk a few miles most days, So its not that the young and healthy get "lesser" symptoms, they are just unlikely to straight up die from them.

Did you take any ibuprofen?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

Did you take any ibuprofen?

No, I didn't take anything the first few days.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah the last line of my post basically acknowledges that. No one is saying that n95 masks are ineffective, but rather in the hands of untrained people they're as-effective as simple surgical masks or even just a scarf held over your nose and mouth. So save the n95 masks for medical professionals who need them and know how to use them, use something else for yourself

its not that hard to use them effectively

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I wonder how many of the asymptomatic people are false positives though. Jamie, can you google that? (adjusts mic) Jamie is gonna google that.

Probably a vanishingly-small percentage, since most of the case studies aren't even testing for asymptomatic carriers; many of these studies have involved people suddenly developing covid-19 symptoms and testing positive while not having interacted with any symptomatic individuals.

Also, the standard coronavirus test that most countries use has a high false negative rate (~10%) but a very low false positive rate (~0%).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sex excellence posted:

its not that hard to use them effectively

While that's true, most people have proven that they're unable to overcome that very low bar.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just do things

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

nullEntityRNG posted:

Noice. Except why do I feel like thats utter bullshit? Like the longer this goes on the more Hail Mary companies are going to be in order to be like "first!" Like some lovely YouTube comment. Like "ooh we found this drug has eliminates 23% of the virus in these specific testing environments! Push it live now!"

If anything, it happened way more than now https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/roundtable/eat-more-onions

"Conventional medical advice for the treatment of influenza included morphine, atropine, aspirin, strychnine, belladonna, chloroform, quinine, and, disturbingly, kerosene, which was administered on a sugar lump."

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

I got this one last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Drunk Nerds posted:

If anything, it happened way more than now https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/roundtable/eat-more-onions

"Conventional medical advice for the treatment of influenza included morphine, atropine, aspirin, strychnine, belladonna, chloroform, quinine, and, disturbingly, kerosene, which was administered on a sugar lump."

I bet your farts REALLY light on fire after eating that

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

QuarkJets posted:

While that's true, most people have proven that they're unable to overcome that very low bar.

fair enough

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

nullEntityRNG posted:

One thing that caught my eye on Wikipedia was the fact that aspirin was recommended in extremely high doses back then. So not only did you have the flu killing people, but there was aspirin poisoning on top of that.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Drunk Nerds posted:

If ya'll are bored, consider browsing the old digital newspaper archives off your local library website. My system's is here https://dr65.bmiimaging.com/?dataset=ca696d04-fe92-42ff-9d75-7cd8488c2587&customer=e4d70b12-7e0b-421c-856e-264bbf7e7993

There are all sorts of snake oil type ads that are great. The kind of phrasing that was used in advertising back then was hilarious.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

extremely my poo poo

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Yeehaw mandatory quarantine it's vacation time

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

I decided to do a movie catch up session during my Swine flu isolation and that was a huge mistake because I started to get delirium right after watching Schindlers List for the first time.

I watched Natural Born Killers the first time I did mushrooms, I feel you.

AlmightyBob posted:

Yeehaw mandatory quarantine it's vacation time

Where?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Justin Credible posted:

This is what's going on in Spain right now. LITERALLY PULLING OLDER PEOPLE OFF. My state is estimated to run out of respirators by the end of the month.

Yes but on the flip side we only have 600 cases, the head of the province want this poo poo stop as soon as possible and seeing that people are just milling about like nothing is happening lead to this. We don't want to be like Spain.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
None of this will really impact the frequency at which I play everquest or ultima online for the next four months. My vote hangs by a thread; what is more important to the big wigs in power??

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Hyzenth1ay posted:

I’m nobody who just shitposts but this helped me today too. I crushed four bottles of wine this weekend and while I’m not hung over per se I feel panicked and awful.

So thanks Spinster.

After trying it both ways, I've concluded that while being stuck at home by yourself sucks, being stuck at home with a stinking hangover and associated sense of existential dread sucks worse lol.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chuds are latching onto this two weeks meme but today Hawaii announced full quarantine until April 30th and it's pretty obviously foolish to end a quarantine any sooner than that

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Washington is joining the stay-at-home order party:

quote:

SEATTLE — Gov. Jay Inslee announced a statewide stay-at-home order Monday effective immediately, with some exceptions for essential activities and businesses. The order is effective for a minimum of two weeks.

Grocery stores, pharmacies, food banks, convenience stores, liquor stores that sell food, farmers’ markets and other essential businesses as defined by the executive order can stay open. Restaurants can continue to offer take-out and delivery. Non-essential businesses will close within 48 hours.

Every resident is required to stay home unless going shopping for groceries, going to a doctor’s appointment or going to work at an essential business, as defined in Inslee’s executive order. See more specifics on what is and isn’t allowed below.

All public and private social, spiritual and recreational gatherings are banned. All non-essential businesses are closed.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Cannabis shops are explicitly outlined in it as being essential.

https://1y4yclbm79aqghpm1xoezrdw-wp...-03.23.2020.pdf

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I wish my state had weed shops that were deemed essential by government

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I wish my state had weed shops that were deemed essential by government

i wish i had a life that was deemed essential by the government

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Then again taking giant bong rips nonstop whenever i am not working probably isnt the best thing to do during the deadly respiratory virus pandemic of the century

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just eat edibles my guy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242281185084149762

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

quote:

Woman in ICU: "Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure."
NBC: "What would be your message to the American public?"
Woman: "Oh my God. Don't take anything. Don't believe anything. Don’t believe anything that the President says & his people...call your doctor."

Boom! #ronied

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

No, I didn't take anything the first few days.

i've heard that suppressing the fever is associated with more severe outcomes so to the extent possible might want to just bear it

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

so you're saying hit up the sauna and restrict fluids to kill the roni?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I got too old and curmudgeonly to do the leg work necessary to find a new weed guy after all my college friends moved away or moved on. The last time i bought weed it was from a stranger a friend knew who had me meet him in the parking lot of an apartment complex, then he got the weed from someone in a van and then got it to me and i was just like "this is bullshit."

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Nice that they can test surfaces but not people :)

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

One theory I've heard is that the viral load to which you are initially exposed factors into one's course. People who are exposed to huge amounts of the virus would be expected deteriorate quicker and to a greater degree than those who maybe only received incidental exposure.

So maybe the asymptomatic carriers tended to be exposed to the virus in smaller amounts? IDK just guessing. Im sure there are plenty of other factors

Culturally, Italy and Iran tend to greet each other with more hugs and kisses rather than handshakes. This might also explain why Dr Li (that famous whistle blower doctor), died of it at 34. He was an eye doctor, so it’s likely Dr Li May have been exposed from being in close proximity to infected patents.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Pick posted:

i wish i had a life that was deemed essential by the government

:yeah:
I'm in WA and trying real hard not to panic about losing out on 2+ weeks of work because rent is basically paycheck to paycheck for me (and I'm sure for many, many others). This is right after I picked up a bunch of hours from a co-worker who bailed too :sigh: on one hand I realize this is far safer but it would be great to not worry about money for once

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

He's such a petty little bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
According to medical experts the virus is stored in the eyes and it seeps out like an invisible mist into other peoples eyes.