Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Communist Zombie posted:

Heres a 36 Science Lab, Ive ultimately gave up on using MSP since the spm was abysmal so I removed MSP to get to the actual Space Exploration parts reasonably soon.

When I get a space station set up well, Ill see about updating it for space and the 6 extra science packs that can only be done in space.

You can filter train car slots, correct? Why not use them instead? Fill the first using whatever shenanigans and then use stack inserters to transfer cargo down the lab line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Ambaire posted:

You can filter train car slots, correct? Why not use them instead? Fill the first using whatever shenanigans and then use stack inserters to transfer cargo down the lab line.

Trains are like a dozen science packs in, plus I wanted to see if I could do it using only belts.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Carecat posted:

Any good mods to go alongside k2? It touches quite a lot of tech so I doubt it would be very compatible.
Construction Drones are nearly a must if only for the amount of wood you need early on.

Far reach, squeak through, vehicle snap, honk and other mandatory QoL mods all work fine.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Communist Zombie posted:

Trains are like a dozen science packs in, plus I wanted to see if I could do it using only belts.

I imagine a sushi-belt would be able to do it (I can't post a pic right now) - you probably need green/red circuit wire though.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Construction Drones are nearly a must if only for the amount of wood you need early on.

Far reach, squeak through, vehicle snap, honk and other mandatory QoL mods all work fine.

I just started K2, but it looks like you can research a greenhouse using the starter tech cards, and it just takes up to glass for materials, so that should hopefully supply your wood needs. But I haven’t been able to carve out enough time to get that far to see what the production rate of the greenhouses actually are.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Orvin posted:

I just started K2, but it looks like you can research a greenhouse using the starter tech cards, and it just takes up to glass for materials, so that should hopefully supply your wood needs. But I haven’t been able to carve out enough time to get that far to see what the production rate of the greenhouses actually are.

40 every 60 seconds from the greenhouse. I plopped down 4 as soon as I could and that was more than enough for me to automate further and then building more as needed wasn't a problem.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

necrotic posted:

40 every 60 seconds from the greenhouse. I plopped down 4 as soon as I could and that was more than enough for me to automate further and then building more as needed wasn't a problem.

Yes, greenhouses have served my needs fine for coke and basic cards.

Trying to sort out oil is a much bigger pain in the rear end. Can't even drive around because the car wants fuel.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

FnF posted:

I imagine a sushi-belt would be able to do it (I can't post a pic right now) - you probably need green/red circuit wire though.

I did think of that, but Ive never used circuit logic and figuring out a sushi belt was too big a jump for me.

Can you do multi lane sushi belts? Because i think thatd be the best way to get high throughput with a lot of labs.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Communist Zombie posted:

Can you do multi lane sushi belts? Because i think thatd be the best way to get high throughput with a lot of labs.

(I assume you mean multi-belt) Don't see why not. As long as you mix the belts once per loop, it seems doable to me.

My basic ones are set up in these steps :
- Use circuit wire on a good stretch of your loop, reading what's on the belt (read-hold, not read-pulse)
- For each separate science-belt in, use circuit wire on one piece of belt (connected to the read-circuit you just made) and set it to Enabled only if the loop reports less of <whatever> science than your threshold is. If you're new to this, set your threshold to one - it's easier to watch & understand this way, and isn't likely to jam
- Make sure that whatever's already on your loop has priority over anything entering it (if you don't do this it'll jam)
- Add a splitter to mix your belts if necessary
- That should be it!

You can get much fancier with it, obviously, but that basic setup works for me.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm actually just (ab)using the fact that science labs pass through, so I've got a chain of labs set up to aggregate the packs. This probably won't scale up but by then I'll mostly be running bot-based.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So in K2, is there a reason not to run your early steam power and fueled smelting entirely off of greenhouse-sourced wood?

As near as I can tell, as long as I'm willing to wait for X arbitrary number of greenhouses to finish building, and then complete their lengthy cycle times, I can renewably convert a moderate amount of electricity and water into large amounts of wood. Boilers chew through the poo poo like candy, but as always meeting this need of the factory can be solved by expanding the factory.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

LonsomeSon posted:

So in K2, is there a reason not to run your early steam power and fueled smelting entirely off of greenhouse-sourced wood?

As near as I can tell, as long as I'm willing to wait for X arbitrary number of greenhouses to finish building, and then complete their lengthy cycle times, I can renewably convert a moderate amount of electricity and water into large amounts of wood. Boilers chew through the poo poo like candy, but as always meeting this need of the factory can be solved by expanding the factory.

Using coal or turning it into coke is far better use of your power, the greenhouses are kind of power hungry and you'd need fewer to make enough coke for power than you would just feeding wood to the boilers. Coal will also be significantly cheaper on your power.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Yeah I don't know how efficient that would really be, although later on you could convert that setup to making biomethanol for gas power plants, and biofuel to feed your existing boilers, which seems like a very efficient, low pollution option

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

necrotic posted:

Using coal or turning it into coke is far better use of your power, the greenhouses are kind of power hungry and you'd need fewer to make enough coke for power than you would just feeding wood to the boilers. Coal will also be significantly cheaper on your power.

Sure, the numbers work out as less efficient, but wood requiring only water and electricity generated by itself means I'm only digging up enough coal for ammunition, coke, and here in a bit plastic, instead of plowing through it and burning it. I'm handling the wood feed with prioritized-input splitters patched into the existing coal fuel line, as a backup, it just seems like this is going to be enough to hold me over at least until I have scalable oil, and I can already see that there's a petro-power plant. And, I guess, that seeming feels off to me?

Regardless, definitely enjoying feeling my way through new Factorio. I liked IR a little more, but that might be bias from my having like 300hrs into a save before the author announced it probably wasn't going to continue updating.

e:

super fart shooter posted:

Yeah I don't know how efficient that would really be, although later on you could convert that setup to making biomethanol for gas power plants, and biofuel to feed your existing boilers, which seems like a very efficient, low pollution option

I already have let's say quite a few greenhouses down and producing, so it's good to know I'll be able to just leave it in place with some chemistry nearby and get largely the same effect from the next tier of power generator.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 26, 2020

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I'm going to try and get fusion power going soon. I don't need anywhere near that much power yet, but it looks like an interesting chain to setup.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I got fusion setup, now I have more power than I'll need for a long time.

Of course, today a K2 patch was released, and:

code:
- DT-fuel more cheaper now.
Quite a bit cheaper, too! Half the Tritium and about 1/3rd the Heavy water.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Can someone post their K2 first and second science malls? I've got one working, but it's ugly as gently caress and not at all scale-able. Just knowing how to deal with creating sub components on the fly would help.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Canuckistan posted:

Can someone post their K2 first and second science malls? I've got one working, but it's ugly as gently caress and not at all scale-able. Just knowing how to deal with creating sub components on the fly would help.

Disclaimer: I am a dumb Factory maker. These were just based on feeling out the requirements, so I haven't even thought about optimization yet.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Here's my science for everything up to yellow cards (plus the labs and computers for the high-tier cards). There used to be a line of regular/advanced labs across the top, but I ripped them out after finishing all the tech that needs them.

I found that it made more sense to manufacture most of the inputs elsewhere and belt them in. You really need to scale up some of the inputs (I'm mostly thinking of circuits, rocket fuel, and low density structures, although I think they retuned some of the recipes to reduce the amount of rocket fuel required) a lot, and it's easier when they have their own production lines. I don't have a very principled layout for my base overall, though, a lot of stuff I just plopped down in a convenient spot instead of trying to keep e.g. a clean bus layout.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Foehammer posted:

Disclaimer: I am a dumb Factory maker. These were just based on feeling out the requirements, so I haven't even thought about optimization yet.

This is where I am as well. Sup dumb factory buddy! I can string together a factory line, but making it elegant and optimized is beyond me. I think I need to play with a notepad and actually write poo poo down so I can get ratios right..

greatZebu posted:

I found that it made more sense to manufacture most of the inputs elsewhere and belt them in. You really need to scale up some of the inputs (I'm mostly thinking of circuits, rocket fuel, and low density structures, although I think they retuned some of the recipes to reduce the amount of rocket fuel required) a lot, and it's easier when they have their own production lines. I don't have a very principled layout for my base overall, though, a lot of stuff I just plopped down in a convenient spot instead of trying to keep e.g. a clean bus layout.

I just noticed that my initial bus base will probably fail. There's a great freaking lake just out of radar range where my bus will be. Perhaps it's a sign that I need to sprawl and get poo poo done, then move on to a bigger base later.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Canuckistan posted:

I just noticed that my initial bus base will probably fail. There's a great freaking lake just out of radar range where my bus will be. Perhaps it's a sign that I need to sprawl and get poo poo done, then move on to a bigger base later.

Fill the lake. Pave the world.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I had that problem and just made a regular ol' gigantic 90 degree turn in my factory. You can make it into a cosy little nook for your science area! :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wallrod posted:

I had that problem and just made a regular ol' gigantic 90 degree turn in my factory. You can make it into a cosy little nook for your science area! :)

Like this!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Christ I wish I was that organized.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

It's always interesting how factories inevitably end up looking like computer chips. Though chips can abuse far more Z levels.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh god now I'm imagining factorio with multiple z-levels and my palms are sweaty

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Oh god now I'm imagining factorio with multiple z-levels and my palms are sweaty

I don't think it'd be that hard to mod in, unless you want to see the z-level below your current one...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You can fake multiple Z levels with factorisimo right now. Once inside things stack recursively too. Modding in multiple actual Z levels would be pretty easy and I think there are mods that do that already.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, things exist to fake it by teleporting you/items to a different map instance. You can't have actual z-levels on a single map, though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Thats essentially how the logic of stuff like Dwarf Fortress works as well.

In fact thats essentially how the logic of actual PCBs work.

Yes you can't display it all on one screen at once but having worked with 12 and 14 layer PCBs you don't want to display more than 2 layers at once anyway.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

*shakes you by shoulders* My man have you heard of satisfactory????

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Factorio is a hardcore logistics game

Satisfactory is more of a exploration & adventure with some minecraft level logistics.

Very different gameplay experiences.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

*shakes you by shoulders* My man have you heard of satisfactory????

Is that finally playable outside of the epic store?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Is that finally playable outside of the epic store?

theyre aiming for may release on other stores

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

neat.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Early warning to anyone else going through Krastorio for the first time, they rebalanced nuclear fuel, now it's two 235 for one fuel cell, which is drastically less than the one 235 per 10x fuel cells in vanilla. It looks like they rebalanced the fuel value and the reactor consumption to be higher as well, but I think it still works out so that your 235 goes a lot less far than it normally does. I didn't notice any of this until I suddenly realized I was running low on fuel and I had to take 3 of my 4 reactors off line until I can stockpile some 235 and get kovarex running.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's kinda disappointing. I thought the vanilla balance of not needing kovarex for power but it becoming critical when you wanted to do other things with your uranium was pretty good.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
It might be fine actually if I just had more uranium mining and processing. It's just that I jumped to 4 reactors from the get go, assuming it was the same as vanilla, but I can definitely support at least 1 or 2 reactors without kovarex.

Also, I've never bothered to regulate nuclear fuel consumption based on power needs, the way some people do, I've always just filled the reactors all the way, since it's so cheap in vanilla, so that's another inefficiency there on my part

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

super fart shooter posted:

Early warning to anyone else going through Krastorio for the first time, they rebalanced nuclear fuel, now it's two 235 for one fuel cell, which is drastically less than the one 235 per 10x fuel cells in vanilla. It looks like they rebalanced the fuel value and the reactor consumption to be higher as well, but I think it still works out so that your 235 goes a lot less far than it normally does. I didn't notice any of this until I suddenly realized I was running low on fuel and I had to take 3 of my 4 reactors off line until I can stockpile some 235 and get kovarex running.

In the original Krastorio it was something like 10x more ore processed to get a U-235. Maybe they decided to balance that difficulty via the fuel cells and usage now instead of just making you set up 50 centrifuges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Uranium in K2, and any of it's products, also hurt a lot early on. My first three deaths came from mishandling that stuff before I had sufficient armor.