Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
it's even worse because a couple of years later, worf regains the honor of his house (again) and even has the chance to become chancellor. sorry kurn, your brother caused you to be exiled, stabbed you with the intent to kill, and then erased your memory for literally nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

so is the Abrams-verse dead at this point?

the actors aren't signed on for more movies, Abrams is probably tired of the whole thing, the last movie didn't do good enough and the studio apparently doesn't like the series. the TV side is doing much better though, and it seems like CBS actually wants to keep going forward with more and more TV shows so I would say Abramsverse is fading out, bizzaro prime universe is back

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Origami Dali posted:

it's even worse because a couple of years later, worf regains the honor of his house (again) and even has the chance to become chancellor. sorry kurn, your brother caused you to be exiled, stabbed you with the intent to kill, and then erased your memory for literally nothing.

If only Kurn had the patience for his king-maker brother to turn on Gowron.

Worf killed Gowron's competition for Chancellor, propped him up during the civil war, and eventually killed Gowron and installed a new Chancellor.

Hell, he even was involved in setting up the Kahless clone as a puppet emperor and found the Sword of Kahless.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

WilWheaton posted:

completely and utterly , to the point where he got him lobotomized because he was better off that way than knowing just how much he had been hosed over , and then never mentioned again

Thought 2nd post was a reply to the first post initially. It's not too badly wrong.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So the What We Left Behind documentary is up on Tubi (which is free) and ... Jesus. I had seen clips, but Ira Behr is completely huffing his own farts in it.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Timby posted:

So the What We Left Behind documentary is up on Tubi (which is free) and ... Jesus. I had seen clips, but Ira Behr is completely huffing his own farts in it.

Thanks for the heads up, watching it now and it had Rom singing the opening...

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

“Future’s End” is so 90s it is physically hurting me.

Chuck and Kathy look like they fell into the Gap, Tomcat went grunge, and Tuvok...poor Tuvok.

The problem with an episode like this is that it comes off so dated (well, yes, time travel I know and it obviously fits the fictional period), that the usual suspension of belief where you can forget it was produced in 1996 does not exist, and you just see it as what it partly was: A way to get off/not have to build/remodel sets by going slightly away from the Paramount lot for a couple episodes but still be in a “fresh” location.

Oy vey.

(Also I think this is where Braga’s sort of obsession with a “future” time-traveling Federation begins that continues into Enterprise?)

Edit: Thinking about it more, this should be a general rule for any show that does not take place in its production era: Do not ever do a time-travel or whatever episode that takes place during the era your show is produced in unless you have a very good reason or point to make.

It’s sad because the whole concept of him being part of the first generation to be born and grow up in space is an interesting one, but they did gently caress all with it that I can remember except for that not-great focus episode where he goes back to his family’s freighter.

The weirdest thing about sci-fi shows where they visit present-day Earth is that it makes you aware how small and sparsely populated the sets for all these alien worlds are.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I found this strange Voyager episode where 7 is defending a different child molester.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

I found this strange Voyager episode where 7 is defending a different child molester.

I thought 7 didn't like Neelix

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I thought 7 didn't like Neelix

Collateral saving whenever she saves the ship.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
To me, Jeri Ryan will always be the shadowy assassin from Dark Skies, who kept a pistol in Victoria's Secret Compartment. About thirty seconds into this video is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9-l7gSX0vM

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TheCenturion posted:

To me, Jeri Ryan will always be the shadowy assassin from Dark Skies, who kept a pistol in Victoria's Secret Compartment. About thirty seconds into this video is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9-l7gSX0vM

God you can tell she's practiced drawing that gun and putting it back in there but it's just not working naturally

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

To be (slightly) fair to Worf, he didn't regain the honour of his House, he dissolved his House and joined House Martok instead. And from what we saw with Alexander, just because Worf joined doesn't mean his family automatically join too. So there's no guarantee that Kurn would've joined House Martok too even if he wanted to.
Still the lobotomy was a bit extreme imo. He should've stolen a ship and become Pirate King of the Gamma Quadrant or something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Timby posted:

Yeah, there’s a lot of great stuff in the doc (the proposed season 7 episode, the gang singing like they’re a bunch of Vegas crooners), but that writer can’t help but make it all about him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was hosed up in a lot of ways but still totally worth seeing for the other stuff, even the credits

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just couldn't get over all the people saying that DS9 introduced serialized storytelling to television. Not to Star Trek, but to television in general. Um, Homicide: Life on the Street, Hill Street Blues, Dallas, even loving LA Law would like a word with you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Timby posted:

I just couldn't get over all the people saying that DS9 introduced serialized storytelling to television. Not to Star Trek, but to television in general. Um, Homicide: Life on the Street, Hill Street Blues, Dallas, even loving LA Law would like a word with you.

And every soap opera ever made.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Timby posted:

Babylon 5

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Friends, for crying out loud, had serialized stories in a sitcom.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Noah Hawley is working on a new movie script but that's the last I've heard

I feel like ultimately Paramount is not going to do another movie because the return is not good enough for them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Noah Hawley is working on a new movie script but that's the last I've heard

I feel like ultimately Paramount is not going to do another movie because the return is not good enough for them.

And that's completely on them for repeatedly trying to turn Star Trek into a tentpole summer blockbuster franchise instead of accepting it as the overall steady earner it was before being mismanaged and penny-pinched into the ground.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not to mention how they basically forgot to market the last one until the last minute, and all while in a giant anniversary year that would have made nostalgia-bait marketing as easy as possible.

It’d almost impressive how badly Paramount hosed up promoting Beyond.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not to mention how they basically forgot to market the last one until the last minute, and all while in a giant anniversary year that would have made nostalgia-bait marketing as easy as possible.

It’d almost impressive how badly Paramount hosed up promoting Beyond.

Which was a drat shame because despite being a big dumb action movie, it was still probably the best, weirdest, and "most Trek" of all the JJ films.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

i hear you

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Longbaugh01 posted:

Thanks a lot to whoever first pointed out in this thread the wheeled office chairs on the Voyager Excelsior bridge set.

Watching that episode it was all I could focus on, but Flashback was a bit fun in seeing Sulu, Rand, Kang, and two Excelsior bridge jobbers again. Though I can’t help but think it got the short end of the stick when it came to 30th anniversary episodes compared to DS9’s, but that’s fine with me.

“False Profits”: Kind of weird, but also intriguing, to go back to a B-plot from the Wormhole Auction TNG episode and make it your A-plot for your Voyager episode. Interesting enough, but the Ferengis aren’t your latinum standard.

The frustrating part of that episode is that even if the remote end of that wormhole is unstable, and therefore useless for two-way travel... they still could've pushed probes through the stable end all over the Delta Quadrant.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

I've been waiting for this kind of thing to start happening: neural net remastering. Someone did a bit of Voyager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWBiHDchSLA

Not true HD remaster, but it still makes it look much nicer to watch in the modern era, especially for a basic initial attempt. I wonder if you could take the net and additionally train it on the TNG original/remaster first, too.

Wow, this seems like a big improvement in image quality. The technology must be getting better?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Pretty interesting thread here:

https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1242270468675112960?s=21

It’s not perfect, but oh man I’ll take any upgrade since we’ll never get an actual blu/HD remaster.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
after watching ds9 for an extended period of time, i went back and watched an episode of tng and holy poo poo i had forgotten just how good that tng remaster is, especially compared with those drab rear end ds9 videotape transfers. sure, the remaster cost 12 million bucks and lost the studio money, but still

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I wonder if you could set up a folding@home style client to get trek fans to provide the grunt to upscale ds9 and voy with machine learning.

I guess it would be somewhat illegal unless Paramount did it and they're nowhere near clever enough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Or, they could, I dunno, scan the loving camera negatives and have a real HD transfer.

AI upscaling is really cool and is a useful tool when you don't have a better source but we have a goddamn better source.

I mean, gently caress it. If you don't want to go full balls to the wall TNG style, at least scan the live actions shots and AI upsacle the SFX shots as a happy medium to balance time and cost. I know you still have to re-edit the episodes and find all the right takes, but if you can't figure out how to monitze a remaster at this point, I don't know what to tell you.

My CBS all-access is getting cancelled as soon as the Picard finale airs, but if they were releasing a few episodes of DS9 HD a month I would keep it going. Hell, I would probably due the same for Voyager out of the novelty of it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s not perfect, but oh man I’ll take any upgrade since we’ll never get an actual blu/HD remaster.

That looks hella watchable

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1242498429122752513?s=19

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You can see red veins in Vreenak's eyeballs, immersion ruined 0/10 ripped away my ability to feel human etc.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
There was a guy a while back who was fiddling around with upscaling DS9 just to see how well the software worked even when you don't have the settings dialed in right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49oj2JUtn0A

Some stuff, windows especially, look really blurry but most of it looks pretty good.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been binge-watching the classic Gothic soap opera Dark Shadows and this fellow, Burke Devlin, the villian, looked awfully familiar:

And then I realized, he's this guy:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been binge-watching the classic Gothic soap opera Dark Shadows and this fellow, Burke Devlin, the villian, looked awfully familiar:

Fun fact: Mitchell Ryan got fired from Dark Shadows because he wouldn't stop showing up for work hammer-drunk.

He was also a finalist to play Picard.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Who's that guy?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arglebargle III posted:

Who's that guy?

The ultimate evolution of terrible fathers.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Arglebargle III posted:

Who's that guy?

A master of anbo-jyutsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

HD DS9 you cowards. Do it to drive people to sign up for your stupid streaming service, it'd work.