Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

Apparently we're going to be fine now
Yes.

For going outside.

e: 2019 was the year that we invented SARS-CoV-2

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Guavanaut posted:

e: 2019 was the year that we invented SARS-CoV-2

We didn't. They did.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

Don't know if you fixed this, but the other day when I was registering a new card, I had to go into my account settings and add the card there, instead of doing it on the checkout screen.

No haven't fixed it. i didn't need to add the card that's been on there for a while but the check after you press the pay button (done by Barclays) is timing out. Though now the website is just saying that there are too many people using it and I'm in a queue.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

sebzilla posted:

Is there a good takedown of that FT article where they recklessly float the idea that 50% of the population may already have (had) the Roni, based on a study that says nothing of the sort?

Overminty posted:

pumpinglemma posted some strong criticism yesterday about the study itself (I think) but has since deleted it, not sure why. Also if you read this pumping duckmaster quoted one of the posts you deleted so you may wanna pm them.
So what was going on there: me and some of my co-authors spent today drafting an open letter takedown of both that article and the study it’s based on, to be signed by as many researchers as we could get our hands on, published online, and sent it to the offending newspapers. Because the study the article is based on is terribad in several distinct ways, and the reporting of it is worse, and after I got in touch with the authors directly they refused to fix things and disavowed all responsibility for the reporting (despite giving at least one actual interview to the FT). I deleted my posts on it because they’d make it easy to doxx me post-publication, and I didn’t think it would help things if the likes of the Daily Mail were able to do some actual journalism and trace me back to a Known Hive of Marxism and Villainy.

Then we got hold of an actual epidemiologist via the whisper network. That community has a lot more experience dealing with bad studies and worse media reporting than I do as a computer scientist, and it turns out that big public refutations are the last thing you want to do - that can make the story blow up much further than it originally would have. Instead of ten thousand people reading the original article and some of them believing it, you get a million people reading that there’s a big scientific controversy. Also, it’s really easy for big public interventions by researchers other than domain-specific COVID-19 experts to do more harm than good right now. So I’ve backed off on that.

In terms of takedowns, I think one of the authors’ own Twitter feeds was doing quite a good job last night. He’s getting dragged in the mentions by everyone who can understand the paper, and is frantically saying that they didn’t mean it that way (while steadfastly refusing to correct the one sentence of their intro that specifically says they did or to add appropriate disclaimers elsewhere). There’s also a piece that recently went up in the British Medical Journal with quotes from some big recognisable experts saying it’s bollocks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Apparently Netflix is down?

Also earlier today the kids managed to watch something on Amazon prime but I can't see a charge anywhere?!?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Went for a big shop today for the first time in a while and the Sainsbury's definitely had some empty shelves but there was some toilet paper and pasta left which was a surprise. Loaded up with enough food not to have to go back for at least 2 weeks.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVIJsdJzCXQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Not in Ireland

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also earlier today the kids managed to watch something on Amazon prime but I can't see a charge anywhere?!?

Works for me.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh yeah, Permitted Exercise report - you'll all be pleased to hear that every building site around Canary Wharf is going at full speed, because God knows they have to get those 6,000 or so luxury flats onto the market by summer when demand for million-pound shoeboxes with a view of other million-pound shoeboxes will definitely be peaking.

(For those who haven't been keeping track of my rants about this - 7 of the 10 tallest residential buildings in the UK (and 3 of the 5 tallest in Europe) are going up along one stretch of road on the Isle of Dogs, and all are due for completion between Q2 and Q4 2020/21, with ground being broken on another three buildings in that size range as we speak, due for completion in early 2022 - ironically the lockdown is probably going to allow them to speed up the completion of those buildings because they can get even more truck movements down that one narrow bit of road)

Literally the only reason my firm claim they're still open is to supply the NHS with drainage pipes and the like. Completely coincidental that they're supplying a load of plastics for the construction industry, and recent orders have been to a load of still-in-operation construction firms for new builds.

...And now they've just sent a company email saying they're winding down operations, because I imagine in the grand scheme of things at the moment, replacement drainpipe clips probably isn't high of the NHS list of priorities.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Netflix is working fine for me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
In case anyone is wondering how America's getting on, their state governments are bidding against each other for medical equipment

https://twitter.com/BillDedman/status/1242610084720586753

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My internet has been down since yesterday and I don't know how much longer I can stand being tethered to my phone. :(

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Liberal dynamic market capitalism of an innovative free trading democracy.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Prime video has a bunch of free shows included.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sense of taste and smell have gone in the last six hours. gently caress.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
If you're on Virgin Media, you now have the option to pause the Sky Sports sub

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How complete is the anosmia in this case? Because I can smell my hands, but they smell of carbolic soap, so it'd be highly concerning if I couldn't.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

stev posted:

Jesus. Good luck, keep us posted.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

stev posted:

Do you have other symptoms?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Maugrim posted:

Prime video has a bunch of free shows included.

Never the ones you want though. :(

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

111 said they're only dealing with personal and family symptoms, and that they didn't think I should let the police know.

The guy was just coming out of a supermarket too...

A while back but:

111 really only works if you are calling about yourself or someone who is with you as you have to go through some assessment.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

stev posted:

Get that app and log it. The data will help people.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

josh04 posted:

It's specifically parodying Femi Oluwole's rejection, for which he was yelling at Owen Jones(?) for the better part of a day:

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1242328289462628352

Shameless anti-Femitism

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Actually, the Guardian have put up a really good article about that FT study now too. Some choice quotes:

quote:

Devi Sridhar, a professor of global public health at Edinburgh University, said the Oxford study set out a hypothesis and nothing more. “It’s like me sitting here and putting into very fancy equations what would change if we had a vaccine tomorrow. I could model how a vaccine would save lives and you would see headlines reading ‘New vaccine is going to save lives.’ But we don’t have a vaccine.”

quote:

In other words, the number of people infected in Britain is either very large, very small, or middling. This may sound unhelpful, but that is precisely the point. “We need much more data about who has been exposed to inform policy,” Klenerman [one of the study authors] said.

quote:

As Prof James Wood, a researcher in infection dynamics at Cambridge University, put it: “The paper does substantially over-speculate and is open to gross over-interpretation by others.”
It doesn't let the study authors off the hook completely, but it doesn't make the article about attacking the study (which would require painful technical discussion that would cause readers' eyes to glaze over and most likely cause the authors to lash out in response). Instead it goes for the much softer target of the media narrative surrounding the story, using expert testimony and surprisingly-accurate metaphors, and pretty much just crushes it, while leaving the academic community to rip the study apart at its own pace. That's the sort of stuff I couldn't actually hope to accomplish by writing an article myself, because I'm not one of those people what write gud, but I can recognise it as a very impressive piece of journalism to the point where it's actually shifted my view on the Graun's scientific output.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

xtothez posted:

Shameless anti-Femitism
:golfclap:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

xtothez posted:

Shameless anti-Femitism

Nice!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiXVdfOSlF8

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So has anyone actually signed up for this volunteering thing? I would be up for doing pharmacy deliveries and stuff like that, if only to get myself out of the house.

Girlfriend has, specifically to phone people who are in isolation alone to chat to them. Very proud of her, that’s going to be tough.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you have other symptoms?

Only a very mild fever. My partner's been coughing for the last two days though.

Idk, I imagine a lot of symptoms are psychosomatic at this point. I'll keep an eye.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Aww I didn't know Ashleigh was doing stuff again

Anyone else get the feeling the government isn't just going for the herd immunity strategy except with plausible deniability this time, it might actually be their brexit strategy as well?

"Take it on the chin", get it over with "in 12 weeks" and once the bodies are cleared we're back to normal, in a world where everyone else is still on lockdown from trying to manage the virus. Imagine the investment and trade deals! Competitive global open-for-business britane, instead of crash out in an extremely depressed economy britane

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 25, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you already had prime, probably one of the free with prime shows.

If you didn't, they probably used the trial and it'll charge you if you don't cancel within 30 days. Or 7 days, for some of their trials.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not allowed to leave this house but I am extremely flatulent right now.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Can your farts leave the house?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Least the plants ain't affected.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm not allowed to leave this house but I am extremely flatulent right now.

You can open windows, it said in the advice

zhar
May 3, 2019

NotJustANumber99 posted:

amazon are apparently making at least some childrens content free thanks to the coronavirus (same with audible) if you go to prime video there is a section "free for all"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

baka kaba posted:

Aww I didn't know Ashleigh was doing stuff again

Anyone else get the feeling the government isn't just going for the herd immunity strategy except with plausible deniability this time, it might actually be their brexit strategy as well?

"Take it on the chin", get it over with "in 12 weeks" and once the bodies are cleared we're back to normal, in a world where everyone else is still on lockdown from trying to manage the virus. Imagine the investment and trade deals! Competitive global open-for-business britane, instead of crash out in an extremely depressed economy britane

yeah there will be cycles of them trying to relax things or not doing enough but theyr gonna be pushed into doing the real thing every time by waves of death

they really havent understood that the virus cannot be spun away or delayed

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So has anyone actually signed up for this volunteering thing? I would be up for doing pharmacy deliveries and stuff like that, if only to get myself out of the house.

I've signed up for one of the local support groups, to deliver food bank packages. I've just been given my first slots for tomorrow afternoon. I'll post how it went when I get home. I also signed up for the NHS volunteer list, but I haven't heard anything from them, I think they do a bit more of a background check. I did see a woman getting very angry on twitter about volunteers, because the government should be paying people to do these tasks. I get her point, because this just lets them get away with underfunding the NHS, but without volunteers vulnerable people will suffer more.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Anyone seen that video of a contractor in the Excel centre working on making the Nightingale? I can’t upload it on my phone but oh god it’s depressing. The hall is a kilometre long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Aidan_702 posted:

Anyone seen that video of a contractor in the Excel centre working on making the Nightingale? I can’t upload it on my phone but oh god it’s depressing. The hall is a kilometre long

Yeah I posted it on this page