Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Return to Castle Wolfenstein is the last, best classic Id shooter. Just perfectly well-balanced, great soundtrack, great level design, perfect length and great dynamics. I honestly like it better than Half Life 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I love me some bioshock infinite

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I think it's tied between doom 3 and unreal 2. I played through unreal 2 a couple of times and don't remember poo poo about it. With Doom 3; I thought I was close to the end so I kept playing, but it would not end.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I didn't think Doom 3 was a bad game, it was just a bad Doom.

Doom 3 cacodemon was a goddamn travesty though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I didn't think Doom 3 was a bad game, it was just a bad Doom.

Doom 3 cacodemon was a goddamn travesty though

More like Dooki3 cacapeemon, am I right?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Doom 3 (characters on screen)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

poverty goat posted:

did you guys hear that bethesda accidentally included a cracked .exe in a subfolder with the release of doom eternal? lol bethesda

this is me, checking in days later after getting my hands on that uncracked version. it works perfectly and no indication that it will ever stop working. love the game by the way, it's a loving masterpiece and those who disagree can suck my super shotgun

way better than Doom 2016. Honestly I doubt the motives of anyone who says otherwise, most of them are probably just doing that lame thing where anything that came before is automatically better and anything that came after automatically worse

Play fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 25, 2020

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Play posted:

this is me, checking in days later after getting my hands on that uncracked version. it works perfectly and no indication that it will ever stop working. love the game by the way, it's a loving masterpiece and those who disagree can suck my super shotgun

way better than Doom 2016. Honestly I doubt the motives of anyone who says otherwise, most of them are probably just doing that lame thing where anything that came before is automatically better and anything that came after automatically worse

It's way harder and people are playing it the same way as doom 2016. They don't get the game which is fine. It's inscrutable. I think it's pretty dope tho.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dubplate Fire posted:

It's way harder and people are playing it the same way as doom 2016. They don't get the game which is fine. It's inscrutable. I think it's pretty dope tho.

yeah, it feels like it's requiring you to enter a flow state of demon murder which is honestly p awesome

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i've gotten each ending of deus ex: invisible war on both pc and xbox it's not actually a bad game though

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

yeah, it feels like it's requiring you to enter a flow state of demon murder which is honestly p awesome

I haven’t gotten this into a game when I’m playing it in years. It demands total focus when you’re playing and it rules. Learning the sounds for something coming off cool down and just entering a state of constantly dashing, flame throwing a group of dudes and then chainsawing one for an ammo/armor explosion before you once again take off like a spider monkey on speed with a shotgun is sublime.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Hell yeah.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I was bad at DO4M and had trouble getting into a sustainable flow on hard but in DO5M on UV I'm constantly waking from a death trance to find myself surrounded by dead demons as far as the eye can see. So I guess I'm surprised to see anyone saying it's hard.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I played through d16 on controller, not sure that's feasible with this one tho.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

I played through d16 on controller, not sure that's feasible with this one tho.

That's how I've been playing on my PC. I think it works better than M+KB, it's faster access to all your tools like dash and flamethrower that just feels more natural. There's weakpoints to aim for but they're on bigger enemies so I haven't found myself missing the precision of the mouse.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

poverty goat posted:

I was bad at DO4M and had trouble getting into a sustainable flow on hard but in DO5M on UV I'm constantly waking from a death trance to find myself surrounded by dead demons as far as the eye can see. So I guess I'm surprised to see anyone saying it's hard.

I think I'm just bad at using the new mechanics and once I get some more practice I'll take off

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

sebmojo posted:

I love that part of it. If they stripped the monkey bars out, the campaign would be pretty awesome.
I don't like the ost though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why do you hate the soundtrack so much? I think it's fantastic. Did you like the 2016 OST?

I mean, it's not the type of thing I'd normally listen to but it fits the game so well. You are honestly the first person I've even run into that doesn't love it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The new Doom game is secretly a first person Ratchet and Clank game. It couldn't be more like Ratchet with its collectables and arenas and gun wheel and circle strafing and constant dashing. The platforming is even similarly designed to Ratchet. Once I started playing it like Ratchet games I started doing really well at the combat. Just never stop moving in a big circle around the arena.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Caesar Saladin posted:

rage 2 is the worst game i've beaten in recent memory, what a completely unfun unfinished miserable slapdash pile of lovely design elements

Game Pass saved me from this. I think I made it two minutes in and uninstalled. I hated how the character moved.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

The Moon Monster posted:

Probably the Aaaah! Real Monsters SNES game. Platformers where the character is animated like a cartoon character rather than a videogame character kind of suck in general, and this was a particularly lousy one.

But what was that early comic book game, I think for Genesis, that was actually pretty rad?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I unapologetically love Rage and find everything about Rage 2 so viscerally off putting. The first one had such good art direction and the second one is just loving obnoxious looking. I only made it like 2 hours in but they seem to have totally ditched the tight, linear level design in between open world areas, the vehicles controlled like poo poo, neon post apocalypse is the worst aesthetic the games industry has poo poo out in recent years. I hate everything about it.

Also there is something about the cover/thumbnail I hate so much. it makes me annoyed just looking at it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Floodixor posted:

But what was that early comic book game, I think for Genesis, that was actually pretty rad?

Comix Zone maybe? That was more of a beatemup than a platformer. 8 year old me couldn't handle that you had to hurt yourself by kicking walls to progress.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Comix Zone maybe? That was more of a beatemup than a platformer. 8 year old me couldn't handle that you had to hurt yourself by kicking walls to progress.

Art imitates life.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

veni veni veni posted:

I unapologetically love Rage

Same here man! Dunno why but I love that janky heap of crap

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Rage was really fun until you hit the point in the game where EVERY enemy has body armor and takes too many bullets to kill.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's how I've been playing on my PC. I think it works better than M+KB

Truly the most unpopular, worst opinion

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Same here man! Dunno why but I love that janky heap of crap

I love the gunfighting. It's awesome, most guns feel awesome, the enemies movement was totally awesome back then (is good even now).

Sadly, you only get to do the shooty stuff for some time before they force you to drive around and talk to people and stuff instead of...letting you do more shooty shooty

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

eternal sonata hands down

i put down eternal sonata as soon ad chopin pronounced coup de grace as "coop de grace"

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

The White Dragon posted:

i put down eternal sonata as soon ad chopin pronounced coup de grace as "coop de grace"

you didn't miss much

he's the final boss and to this day I have no idea why

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

If they removed all the car driving and just gave me some nice levels where I kill hapless innocent people in the wastelands then I'd be ok with it. However, most of my time in Rage2 was spent driving to places and clearing generic outposts like in a Far Cry game or whatever and it just wasn't fun

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i don't "get" animal crossing at all but am very happy that so many people manage to find joy in it

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

food court bailiff posted:

i don't "get" animal crossing at all but am very happy that so many people manage to find joy in it

Yeah this is super unpopular, you're supposed to tell people why they're stupid for liking it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Had the game-play not been very bad, the Crash Bandicoot games probably would've been the greatest Sony Play Station home computer system application programs.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Nintendo has a shitload of people who only play Nintendo games (either because they are super casual gamers or slavishly devoted fanboys) so whenever an above average game that makes use of modern game dev trends comes out for the Switch (see also BotW and Untitled Goose Game) their fanbase tends to go absolutely nuts for them. It's not a bad thing and they aren't stupid for feeling that way. It's just something you have to mentally account for when you see millions of people singing the praises of a pretty ordinary farmsim game in 2020.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DildenAnders posted:

What's the worst game everyone has played all the way through? I think mine was Star Wars: Force Unleashed.
Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green is God awful and pretty much a bad Unreal mod, but I love the bastard of a game. It's one of the few games that does zombles right and doesn't make a point of man being the real monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWYULJ99dM

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

kill T H E S T R AN G E R S

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

PinheadSlim posted:

This is the popular opinion from what I've heard. Wrong thread

bioshock infinite is both popular and critically acclaimed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

Nintendo has a shitload of people who only play Nintendo games (either because they are super casual gamers or slavishly devoted fanboys) so whenever an above average game that makes use of modern game dev trends comes out for the Switch (see also BotW and Untitled Goose Game) their fanbase tends to go absolutely nuts for them. It's not a bad thing and they aren't stupid for feeling that way. It's just something you have to mentally account for when you see millions of people singing the praises of a pretty ordinary farmsim game in 2020.

I am not a Nintendo fanboy and I play all da games, and I feel like you aren't giving BotW enough credit here. In fact it's largely popular for bucking a lot of modern game dev trends that people were sick of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maya Fey posted:

bioshock infinite is both popular and critically acclaimed

Here it is extremely unpopular because the revolutionary character uses violence to smash a corrupt racist state, particularly among people who think revolutionaries should use violence to smash corrupt racist states.