Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah I find Igni just does Aard's job better than Aard. Aard is just for opening sekrit doors and knocking down flyers.

aard sets you up for instant kills pretty consistently which can be nice. and if you have maxed aoe aard (no penalty) and the piercing cold mutation, you can just spam it over and over until everything around you shatters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah I find Igni just does Aard's job better than Aard. Aard is just for opening sekrit doors and knocking down flyers.

Aard works for knocking flying monsters out of the air. Also Frozen Aard is the best sign skill in the game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

aard sets you up for instant kills pretty consistently which can be nice. and if you have maxed aoe aard (no penalty) and the piercing cold mutation, you can just spam it over and over until everything around you shatters

Or you can set them on fire and watch them burn without doing anything more.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Aard works for knocking flying monsters out of the air. Also Frozen Aard is the best sign skill in the game.

Uh doesn't Igni do that too.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I don’t think Igni has anywhere near the range Aard has. And I don’t think it gets you the instant kill option once they’re down.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don’t think Igni has anywhere near the range Aard has. And I don’t think it gets you the instant kill option once they’re down.
It doesn't but I often can't take advantage of the knockdown while I can always take advantage of fire damage.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So I am returning back to this after a long hiatus, but to me it seems that the quality of the side quests has kind of nosedived now that I am in Skellige. Maybe I am looking at them with rose tinted glasses, but I just had a side quest that basically was go here, kill some dudes, and retrieve item. But the way it ended made it sound like there was another resolution to it, but I looked it up and nope. There is only one way it can end.

I probably should stop taking notice board missions and just stick to ones that are attached to the main story characters.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tbh I actually liked that one because the quest giver is so upset at the end. There are lots of quality skellige ones so you'd be missing a lot of content.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you stop using notice boards, how are you going to start HoS?

(notice boards have some nice quests too)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I will keep a lookout and keep doing them then. I did the Black Pearl quest and it kind of hints at more but it just ends too.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iirc, that quest is a nice short and personal story. Not everything needs to be an epic adventure.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

itry posted:

iirc, that quest is a nice short and personal story. Not everything needs to be an epic adventure.

Yeah the denouement of that quest when you’re back to Novigrad to get paid is kind of a gut punch. There’s a lot of those kind of side quests in the game. Short, sharp kicks in the balls.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Halloween Jack posted:

igni is great but aard is for coup de graces

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's Thronebreaker? It's on sale over at Steam and while I really enjoy playing Gwent, watching videos makes it seem very slow paceg..

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Artelier posted:

How's Thronebreaker? It's on sale over at Steam and while I really enjoy playing Gwent, watching videos makes it seem very slow paceg..

It's good. If you enjoy Gwent you'll like all the variations and little puzzles.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

alt yrden sucks, it takes way too long to cast

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah it only really works at the start of a fight before baddies can close in on you

shoots arrows out of the air though

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Since you can see most fights coming and you can run around to create spacing, I never had a problem with the cast time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I really wish the skill trees were different. Really locks you in to a build and all the cool poo poo is just too far away.

Finished the main quest a few days ago. Unfortunately totally forgot to take Ciri to Emhyr so she was stuck being a Witcher. Rest of the endings were ok.

Time to start B&W. Since I finished HoS before I tackled the Isle of Mists.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

FilthyImp posted:

I really wish the skill trees were different. Really locks you in to a build and all the cool poo poo is just too far away.

Finished the main quest a few days ago. Unfortunately totally forgot to take Ciri to Emhyr so she was stuck being a Witcher. Rest of the endings were ok.

Time to start B&W. Since I finished HoS before I tackled the Isle of Mists.

That's the ending that Ciri herself would probably most prefer. Her as Empress of Nilfgaard might be better for the game world overall, but it's not what she wants to do.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 25, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

That's the ending that Ciri herself would probably most prefer. Her as Empress of Nilfgaard might be better for the game world overall, but it's not what she wants to do.

Can you still get the witcher ending if you take Ciri to see Emhyr? Or does that lock you in to the Empress path?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can you still get the witcher ending if you take Ciri to see Emhyr? Or does that lock you in to the Empress path?

You can but it requires you to shove Dijkstra. Hard.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Holy poo poo grandmaster stuff is expensive. Guess I'm gonna be mass selling French bandit's swords.

Playing the FCR3 mod. I like it overall. Doing a signs/combat build and Griffin gear but gonna change to Wolven once I have all the stuff made. Igni with high sign strength is alot of fun.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

You can but it requires you to shove Dijkstra. Hard.

No it doesn't, you can also let Dijkstra kill Roche and Thaler.
e: added spoiler tags since the orginal question had them

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Staltran posted:

No it doesn't, you can also let Dijkstra kill Roche and Thaler.
e: added spoiler tags since the orginal question had them

I did this on my current run and it felt pretty bad :(

If I ever get around to playing again I'm not going to feel bad about killing dijkstra this time

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Ainsley McTree posted:

If I ever get around to playing again I'm not going to feel bad about killing dijkstra this time

You should never feel bad about this.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

siggy reuben is cool and you should definitely feel bad about killing him

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bart is cool and if you kill him we can't be friends.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Bart is the best

Just don't tell him about you killing Sigi and he'll happily stay in the vault, thinking about rocks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait you can go back to Bart after the Radvoid plotline finishes and tell him what happened!?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
No idea tbh

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

i found another troll yesterday and was incredibly happy about it, a small spot of light in these dark times, a precious baby who must be protected, he really liked my picture of a bird

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

i found another troll yesterday and was incredibly happy about it, a small spot of light in these dark times, a precious baby who must be protected, he really liked my picture of a bird

if you let the troll paint the bird, Trollolol is a much better artist than Gerry

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Fritz the Horse posted:

if you let the troll paint the bird, Trollolol is a much better artist than Gerry

dammit i knew i should’ve done that

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

dammit i knew i should’ve done that

But Trololol is much happier with your painting. He's his own biggest critic.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Argh the blood and wine boss's bats keep suckin me off in one shot!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've finally discovered the joy of bombs. drat, these things really let you punch above your weight class. Is it normal to have a bunch of Superior alchemy stuff by level 17?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I've finally discovered the joy of bombs. drat, these things really let you punch above your weight class. Is it normal to have a bunch of Superior alchemy stuff by level 17?

If you explore a lot, yes. Note that unless you go for the Cluster Bomb upgrade stuff like grapeshot will fall behind on damage rapidly. I'm pretty sure I had all Superior alchemy stuff before Kaer Morhen at least.

There's a build out there using Manticore armor and stacking crit damage to make cluster bombs actually damaging as gently caress even at level 40 but by then I was still having more fun slicing things. Also by then I was saving skill points to expand the mutations mostly for fun.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Just did the Kaer Morhen drunk scene, and that was hilarious.