Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

teen witch posted:

Nearly every Swede I’ve spoken to thinks that this is normal and a good course of action and most of us non Swedes are baffled at the inaction and galaxybrained response. Like I get not wanting to appear like you’re overreacting but this is the time to overreact.

My bedroom balcony overlooks a square and seeing old people just ~business as usual~ while I’m working from home is shortening my life.

My siblings live abroad and are required to work from home while the schools are closed and their kids are at home. That is hardly a fun situation and if we can avoid it, all the better. Especially since kids and their parents are not a risk group.

And as for reactions, the current situation have pretty large effects on on daily life.
Examples:
I am mandated to work from home as much as possible. As is my wife and both of us are requested to self quarantine if exposed.
Parents and in-laws have self quarantined.
Daycare is having restrictions on how kids are dropped off and picked up. And the kids are getting heavily drilled on hand washing.
Municipality have basically shutdown all communal activities, local health care have restrictions on visits and the same for gyms.
Gothenburg economy is basically toast for now given that both Volvos and Scania are shutdown with 60000+ off from work and a massive amount of consultants laid off.

Saying there is inaction is simply not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zudgemud posted:

Yes that would also be a decent alternative assuming the similar healthcare systems make similar hospitalization judgements. Now we just need to dig up that data though.
My point was that it only had to be consistent within the country, two countries can have different criteria as long as they don't change them. Like, one country could be underreporting by a factor 4, and the other 2, but if they do that every day then the growth rate of reported cases is directly comparable. +20 cases on top of 100 is the same as +40 cases on top of 200.

Cardiac posted:

My siblings live abroad and are required to work from home while the schools are closed and their kids are at home. That is hardly a fun situation and if we can avoid it, all the better. Especially since kids and their parents are not a risk group.
Their colleagues are though. Also, comorbidities can put someone not obviously at risk into the at risk category. On top of that, as seen in places where the virus was allowed to overwhelm local medical services, the death rate shoots way up as patients who could normally be saved are denied treatment because their health outcomes are likely to be worse than others. If the virus is allowed to run wild, then people doing essential services will be more and more inclined to NOT do them for fear of their own safety, which can completely collapse the logistics that support modern society.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Beeswax posted:

Vem på forumen är dangerNEET på twitter förresten?

jag råkar veta men måste fråga om jag får säga först

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

Nearly every Swede I’ve spoken to thinks that this is normal and a good course of action and most of us non Swedes are baffled at the inaction and galaxybrained response. Like I get not wanting to appear like you’re overreacting but this is the time to overreact.

My bedroom balcony overlooks a square and seeing old people just ~business as usual~ while I’m working from home is shortening my life.

Swedes, due to historical reasons, generally have a very high trust in the state and governmental agencies compared to other nations, which is why so many natives are ok with it.

Regarding why we are not doing more testing:
Sweden apparently lack PPE equipment for test personel and people to do the actual testing. I assume we could conscript grad students or something to solve the personel issue but solving the PPE shortage is more difficult. We also lack some parts of the test kits, and I assume we might also lack the capability to produce all the components for the test kit domestically, such as the spin columns used. Communication with other european labs in our network suggest that one also needes specific hardware (same model qPCR machines etc) to properly standardize the test to make it reliable and not produce false positive or negatives. So almost all the offers by research labs to lend or donate equipment for testing is rejected because they cant set up brand specific adjusted protocols with the same reliability.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Swedes are complacent and more afraid of panic than the virus itself. This will change when enough people die.

Zudgemud posted:

Swedes, due to historical reasons, generally have a very high trust in the state and governmental agencies compared to other nations, which is why so many natives are ok with it.

Yeah. Unfortunately history doesn't stop. I'm more afraid of what this monumental failure to act will do to our politics and culture more than both the virus and the economic meltdown.

Still, if I was a self-serving politician or bureaucrat I wouldn't speak out. There is a lot more personal risk for speaking against the crowd even if you end up being right. And if you end up being wrong everyone else will be convinced there was no risk at all and you will look like a lunatic.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

Sweden apparently lack PPE equipment for test personel and people to do the actual testing. I assume we could conscript grad students or something to solve the personel issue but solving the PPE shortage is more difficult. We also lack some parts of the test kits, and I assume we might also lack the capability to produce all the components for the test kit domestically, such as the spin columns used. Communication with other european labs in our network suggest that one also needes specific hardware (same model qPCR machines etc) to properly standardize the test to make it reliable and not produce false positive or negatives. So almost all the offers by research labs to lend or donate equipment for testing is rejected because they cant set up brand specific adjusted protocols with the same reliability.

We are not actually that bad when it comes to testing.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...NLD+ESP+TWN+NOR

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
At the beginning of the infections in Denmark, my elderly parents decided to go into self quarantine.

Since then my wife and I, have been doing their shopping and pharmacy visits for them, better to be safe than sorry.

For us, every day is a lot like a lazy Sunday...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

As a complete surprise to no-one, CEPOS is now advocating mass death to protect Number.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Saying there is inaction is simply not true.
Suprise, user Cardiac is arguing against windmills. No-one is saying sweden's doing nothing. P much everyone outside of the sweden is baffled by *what* they've been doing.

Cardiac posted:

We are not actually that bad when it comes to testing.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...NLD+ESP+TWN+NOR
Oh so now we're comparing numbers? surprise surprise, testing is only effective if it's done early and combined with strict quarantine.
Covid deaths p much doubled overnight, and the local hospital raided our uni labs for PPE days ago. Tegnell has literal blood on his hands.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 26, 2020

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Not closing schools or restaurants and telling people to go skiing on their holidays is bizarre. It's simply unconscionable to gamble with people's lives like that. Do you really think the virus treats Sweden differently somehow?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Suprise, user Cardiac is arguing against windmills. No-one is saying sweden's doing nothing. P much everyone outside of the sweden is baffled by *what* they've been doing.

And so far we are not doing worse than any other European countries, which begs the question whether extensive quarantine is actually working.
Thinking we could implement the procedures taken in China, South Korea, Taiwan or Japan is kinda naive, given the societal differences.

evil_bunnY posted:

Oh so now we're comparing numbers? surprise surprise, testing is only effective if it's done early and combined with strict quarantine.
Covid deaths p much doubled overnight, and the local hospital raided our uni labs for PPE days ago. Tegnell has literal blood on his hands.

Ah, windmills. Please post a picture of Tegnell with blood on his hands.
You believe Tegnell is the sole decision maker? Have you missed how decisions are actually taken in Sweden?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Cardiac posted:

And so far we are not doing worse than any other European countries, which begs the question whether extensive quarantine is actually working.

1000 or so less cases than Norway but 4 times the body count doesn't look great to me but go off I guess

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

slowdave posted:

telling people to go skiing on their holidays is bizarre
It would be, if it had actually happened. In reality the authorities recommend against any non-essential travel. Higher education has also been closed for two weeks now.

You can absolutely argue that stronger measures are needed but going completely hyperbolic doesn't exactly help that line of argumentation.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 26, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

As a complete surprise to no-one, CEPOS is now advocating mass death to protect Number.
Is your post missing a link to something, or am I just dumbfused?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

TheFluff posted:

It would be, if it had actually happened. In reality the authorities recommend against any non-essential travel.

They tried the 'strongly recommending people to exercise their own caution' tactic for a few days here in Finland and it didn't work and plenty of rushed to Lapland and their summer cottages anyway. We're just as meek and trustful of government guidelines as you are and that still happened.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

D. Ebdrup posted:

Is your post missing a link to something, or am I just dumbfused?

https://www.altinget.dk/artikel/jonas-herby-der-er-graenser-for-hvor-meget-vi-skal-ofre-for-at-redde-et-liv

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Cepos is 100% a collection of some of the dumbest people in Denmark. Actual, honest to god, ‘pants on head’ morons. They enjoy tremendous success though, because the main thing they do is sprout neoliberal slogans and pocket psychologist econo-babble which leads to business and conservative interests throw millions and millions after them. I strongly recommend reading a couple their analysis papers if you want to see how much of a dumbshit hack you can be, while still being taking completely serious by the entirety of the danish journalist profession, being invited to serious news programs as an expert etc.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Cepos is 100% a collection of some of the dumbest people in Denmark. Actual, honest to god, ‘pants on head’ morons. They enjoy tremendous success though, because the main thing they do is sprout neoliberal slogans and pocket psychologist econo-babble which leads to business and conservative interests throw millions and millions after them. I strongly recommend reading a couple their analysis papers if you want to see how much of a dumbshit hack you can be, while still being taking completely serious by the entirety of the danish journalist profession, being invited to serious news programs as an expert etc.

And since it's an "almenvelgørende" organisation on paper contributions are tax-deductible up to 16,600 DKK. For comparison the deductible for union dues is 6,000 DKK.

But if you steal a bottle of hand sanitizer you're now a "corona criminal" and deserve jail.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

We lack all of that poo poo but there’s a lot of stuff coming here from China very soon. For obvious reasons the government isn’t going to be putting that on the front page of every newspaper.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hedenius posted:

We lack all of that poo poo but there’s a lot of stuff coming here from China very soon. For obvious reasons the government isn’t going to be putting that on the front page of every newspaper.
Wait? Are you the ones who hijacked the shipment coming to Denmark?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wait? Are you the ones who hijacked the shipment coming to Denmark?
No. This is new stuff.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hedenius posted:

No. This is new stuff.
Sounds like something a thief would say.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

TheFluff posted:

It would be, if it had actually happened. In reality the authorities recommend against any non-essential travel. Higher education has also been closed for two weeks now.

You can absolutely argue that stronger measures are needed but going completely hyperbolic doesn't exactly help that line of argumentation.

Having high-schools having the students remote, but requiring the teachers to do remote teaching from the school instead of allowing them to be home, is dumb af.
(This might not be everywhere but deffo is at the school where my brother teaches)

Meanwhile, California's shut down all their schools, SF school district is saying they're gonna be closed until May 1 at least. Sweden's response to me is really baffling

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Katt posted:

Scandinavia Corona fight chart:

Denmark: 1591
Sweden: 2286
Norway: 2768

Baltic Corona fight chart:

Latvia: 197
Lithuania: 203
Estonia: 369
Russia: 495
Finland: 792

Scandinavia Corona fight chart:

Denmark: 1877
Sweden: 2840
Norway: 3316

Baltic Corona fight chart:

Latvia: 244
Lithuania: 290
Estonia: 538
Russia: 840
Finland: 958

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, my mom just got taken to the hospital.

e: seems like it's a minor heart attack, ambulance people were optimistic at least. I don't know if I should be relieved or not, I guess neither really, I'm just loving happy that the emergency wards aren't full to the brim.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 26, 2020

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Randarkman posted:

e: seems like it's a minor heart attack, ambulance people were optimistic at least. I don't know if I should be relieved or not, I guess neither really, I'm just loving happy that the emergency wards aren't full to the brim.

That's a relief. In a sense it's good timing, who knows what the situation would've been later on.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Randarkman posted:

Sorry to hear that, hope she receives the best of care.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I would never do anything that would hurt my Scandinavian brothers and sisters. Now the Finns on the other hand...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Sorry to hear that, hope she receives the best of care.

Thank you. She's had an operation now and everything seems to have gone well, she just called and talked to my dad.

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

That's a relief. In a sense it's good timing, who knows what the situation would've been later on.

Yeah probably. Thank God.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

They've always held that opinion, only now they're expressing it 100% openly.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I have a relative way back that was the last one to be convicted for naval piracy in sweden, she intercepted a danish sloop, murdered vanquished it's crew and stole liberated their cargo.
:pirate::respek::sweden:

What i mean is, old habits die hard.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Hedenius posted:

I guess Scania did it is the angle they went with: https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/mRj0qp/scania-hjalper-karolinska-att-fa-skyddsutrustning-fran-kina

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

luminalflux posted:

Having high-schools having the students remote, but requiring the teachers to do remote teaching from the school instead of allowing them to be home, is dumb af.
(This might not be everywhere but deffo is at the school where my brother teaches)

It's like this at my workplace too - just send me home so I can play Animal Crossing work remotely!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Konec Hry posted:

It's like this at my workplace too - just send me home so I can play Animal Crossing work remotely!

Join us, it’s great and the daytime fishing? Oooh wee

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Gatherings of 49 👍

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

Gatherings of 49 👍

We can have one Homer

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Mitt sommarjobb på Grönan verkar ju inte vara det mest stabila framtidsyrket just nu.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I'm feeling like I'm kind of Reaganing in this time of crisis.
1. Permanent residence achieved
2. First hand contract granted in southern Stockholm
3. My A-Kassa validity kicked in this month.

Bring on the end times

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Worst case scenario I leash of my GF whom I live with. She's working at Spotify from home and makes a ton more money than I would even if I had a work right now. As it is, CSN pays my bills for now. But come summer, things could be dire.

Then ofc I'm lucky enough to come from a background where I could, if need be, borrow some money from my parents with little fuzz. But having debts is really bad for my mental health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

Mitt sommarjobb på Grönan verkar ju inte vara det mest stabila framtidsyrket just nu.

Apply for elderly care, they're starving for more people even on a normal year.