Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
The hospital, if they want you to start working before you clock in, is asking you to work for free.

The martyr culture of nursing that turns a bunch of us into loving chumps who will bend over for a profiteering hospital under the flimsiest of pretenses is an embarrassment.

Koivunen posted:

It’s a HIPAA violation to be in a patient chart when you’re not on the clock. You can’t be looking at people’s stuff on your free time. Also there’s no reason it should take more than 10-15 min to look up your people, even if you do have 5. You should be getting the majority of your need-to-know info during report, you can look up all the deets later.

Don’t work for free. Don’t work for free. Don’t work for free. Ever.

emptyquoting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Having supported Epic, and now supporting Cerner, I feel qualified to say Cerner sucks hot farts.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How is everyone holding up in light of this recent COVID-19 excitement?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Mentally preparing to shave my beard off if it hits the fan in the coming weeks/months. Only one PAPR in our ER so my pale face will have to reuse the same N95 I've never been fitted for that I will keep in a paper bag with my name on it. Maybe I'll doodle something on the bag.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Fun Times! posted:

Mentally preparing to shave my beard off if it hits the fan in the coming weeks/months. Only one PAPR in our ER so my pale face will have to reuse the same N95 I've never been fitted for that I will keep in a paper bag with my name on it. Maybe I'll doodle something on the bag.

The outside is gonna get colonized with Corona you dope

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Two weeks left of CRNA school. I'm going to be loving pissed if I get this dumb poo poo while I'm doing anesthesia for free.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dirp posted:

Two weeks left of CRNA school. I'm going to be loving pissed if I get this dumb poo poo while I'm doing anesthesia for free.

What you too? I thought it was just Llama, I am the forums CRNA, go to hell.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Bum the Sad posted:

What you too? I thought it was just Llama, I am the forums CRNA, go to hell.

Everyone should do it. The program really isn’t THAT bad.

Dirp, I assume you already have a job lined up?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I don’t work in the hospital anymore, I am a medical device rep. Hospitals in my area have been issuing notices that company reps are not allowed in except if patient care requires it. I do work in a clinical role but not all our docs require us there during the case and most of them can work independently. Most hospitals are still saying I can come but we’ve had a few already say they don’t want us to show up at all.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

B-Mac posted:

I don’t work in the hospital anymore, I am a medical device rep. Hospitals in my area have been issuing notices that company reps are not allowed in except if patient care requires it. I do work in a clinical role but not all our docs require us there during the case and most of them can work independently. Most hospitals are still saying I can come but we’ve had a few already say they don’t want us to show up at all.

The place I’m currently rotating has banned reps and vendors unless 100% necessary. They have also closed all but the main entrance to patients and visitors. They are screening everyone who walks in the door.

Still had a patient sneak in with new onset cough, fever, and purulent sputum for his cystectomy. Dude coughed all over me. It was great.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

The outside is gonna get colonized with Corona you dope

...is what we all said when we heard that masks are rationed one per nurse per shift and we are provided with big brown paper bags by administration

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Buckle in goons, gonna be a wild ride!

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
Update: my cohort is freaking the gently caress out about getting the covid, our program director is (probably) using us for political gain within an specific organization and part of that is keeping us in clinical. To be fair, I do not disagree with some of her points or her purpose.

Meanwhile, we probably have graduation requirements that will gently caress us and delay our graduation if people whine too hard.

It is all crazy bullshit and I just want people to have a reasonable, metered response. I’d also like to graduate and start my job.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

trauma llama posted:

Update: my cohort is freaking the gently caress out about getting the covid, our program director is (probably) using us for political gain within an specific organization and part of that is keeping us in clinical. To be fair, I do not disagree with some of her points or her purpose.

Meanwhile, we probably have graduation requirements that will gently caress us and delay our graduation if people whine too hard.

It is all crazy bullshit and I just want people to have a reasonable, metered response. I’d also like to graduate and start my job.

You’re gonna get it. Be thankful you’re under 50.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Bum the Sad posted:

You’re gonna get it. Be thankful you’re under 50.

Someone in my cohort has to. How else can we be martyrs for the gas passer political machine

Dirp
May 16, 2007

trauma llama posted:

Dirp, I assume you already have a job lined up?

Yeah I had a few offers as far back as October but ended up accepting one where I did the majority of my training. It's a pretty loose ACT practice (although that is probably getting a lot worse with some of the new MDs they've been hiring), they get alot of sick patients/big cases, and the pay is pretty good. I'll probably do a year or two here and go onto something else.

My program was gung-ho about us all staying in clinical but then completely flipped 180 in an email we got last night. We can't take our boards until May so now I get 6 weeks of nothing to do but study and drive myself crazy.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My hospital cancelled all students besides our RN academy (those are paid PCT interns pretty much). No matter how much a school is hung-ho doesn’t matter if networks close their doors.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Starting to get spam emails from staffing agencies looking to ramp up. Evidently I can make $4,500/wk in New Jersey... I wonder if they offer a bonus if you pick up COVID on day 1 of the assignment.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’ve been out of the hospital for 5 years and thought about offering to go back since I could probably use a bunch of PTO from my current job for a little while, but I’m already immunocomprimised, so probably not a good idea.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
PNW is offering insane weekly contracts. Yet our hospital is trying to argue our contract language regarding incentive pay because goddamn capitalists.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, I got mod approval to link to this poll I'm doing for my Master's capstone. I think this is the best thread for this since I didn't see a nursing thread.

It's about whether or not you've sustained a workplace injury, what kind it was, and if you reported it or not.

shorturl.at/aenzO

This is geared towards nurses, CNAs, techs, RTs, etc. It will require no identifying information and won't ask for your email or anything. Should take less than a minute.

If you're a nurse, ER Tech, CNA etc it would help me a bunch if you shared this among your relevant social media networks.

If your specific specialty or field isn't on there, just pick one that is close. We had a hell of a time getting approval for all the various options.

Thanks!

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

FizFashizzle posted:

Hey guys, I got mod approval to link to this poll I'm doing for my Master's capstone. I think this is the best thread for this since I didn't see a nursing thread.

It's about whether or not you've sustained a workplace injury, what kind it was, and if you reported it or not.

shorturl.at/aenzO

This is geared towards nurses, CNAs, techs, RTs, etc. It will require no identifying information and won't ask for your email or anything. Should take less than a minute.

If you're a nurse, ER Tech, CNA etc it would help me a bunch if you shared this among your relevant social media networks.

If your specific specialty or field isn't on there, just pick one that is close. We had a hell of a time getting approval for all the various options.

Thanks!

Hey is there a way to set some of the questions up as choose all that apply? Halfway through I realized that I have received more then one injury or issue. Thanks!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

trauma llama posted:

Hey is there a way to set some of the questions up as choose all that apply? Halfway through I realized that I have received more then one injury or issue. Thanks!

For the purposes of this survey, no.

Go ahead and pick the most common one, or the most recent.

Again, this approval process was tedious and I apologize.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This thread is eerily quiet considering the current pandemic. I am wondering how everyone’s hospital system is responding? I see all these horror stories on social media that break my heart.

My hospital is aggressively turning rooms into negative airflow, opening a retrofit Covid negative airflow unit, being pretty generous with PPE policy, assigning outpatient and procedural nurses to all inpatient units. It’s been rough days, but manageable.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!
I started nursing school a few weeks ago. Classes were paused after the first week and now we’re fully online, no labs will be held this semester. We were meant to have our first clinical placement mid year but that will most likely be postponed till end of year.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

combee posted:

I started nursing school a few weeks ago. Classes were paused after the first week and now we’re fully online, no labs will be held this semester. We were meant to have our first clinical placement mid year but that will most likely be postponed till end of year.

Oh no how you gonna learn to make a bed with mitered corners now!?!

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

djfooboo posted:

This thread is eerily quiet considering the current pandemic. I am wondering how everyone’s hospital system is responding? I see all these horror stories on social media that break my heart.

My hospital is aggressively turning rooms into negative airflow, opening a retrofit Covid negative airflow unit, being pretty generous with PPE policy, assigning outpatient and procedural nurses to all inpatient units. It’s been rough days, but manageable.

My city is expanding its critical care beds from 85 to ~180. Our current ICU rooms have glass doors between them, those are being removed to fit more beds. We will also have ICU patients in our PACU, OR receiving area as well as cath lab. They plan to have a designated COVID-19 positive bay (or two). We have limited negative pressure rooms available but plan to keep one empty for intubation and other aerosol-generating procedures. I was traveling earlier this month so I have been unable to return to work yet.
Also I heard that they have the IV pumps outside of patient rooms with MRI extension tubing (about 5m) to the patient so you don't have to burn through PPE to titrate an infusion.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
Just got word that my job may have to postpone my start date because most of their hospitals have cancelled all elective surgeries, and no one is around to work in credentialing. gently caress, I don’t even know how I’m supposed to take the NCE with Pearson Vue being closed.

We graduate in 6ish weeks. We are still going to go on campus for a few more days of crisis sim lab, b/c sure why the gently caress not.

I’ve worked through all kinds of crazy events, taxing events, but this is insanity. It feels bizarre being sidelined during this major crisis, holed up in my apartment studying for anesthesia boards, while all of my friends and family are stuck on the front lines of this poo poo show.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
Hey everyone! I’m new to the thread, and I’m a nursing student in Canada in my second year. I was lucky enough to start working as a healthcare aide after finishing my first year, so I can at least work while my classes are cancelled. The hospitals don’t want students I guess? So I applied for HCA jobs so I can help out during this COVID stuff. I’m wondering how things are going in the hospitals too. It sounds like a rough go right now too.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

In regards to doubling icu capacity: who is staffing that?

In regards to outside the room pumps: our doors are poo poo and won’t allow us to it that way. Also with every room being negative airflow the gaskets are too tight :(

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

djfooboo posted:

In regards to doubling icu capacity: who is staffing that?
We're not at capacity yet, nor have doubled just yet. However, at this point all former staff that have worked in ICU in the past 5 years are being re-deployed to ICU with a training day as well as a buddy shift. We are also calling in people who have retired recently. From the discussion that my unit held yesterday, should it come to it we will also pull nurses that have monitor training or any critical care experience. As an example of a 4 patient bay, they would likely have 3 of theses "inexperienced*" nurses assigned and 2 or more ICU nurses (1 assigned, 1 to support). And when it comes to physicians they are going pull residents from other services (with recent ICU experience) once we are over 100 beds. When it's closer to 150 we pull the Anasthesia docs.
*I can't remember the term used, but I just mean nurses that haven't continuously worked ICU.

quote:

In regards to outside the room pumps: our doors are poo poo and won’t allow us to it that way. Also with every room being negative airflow the gaskets are too tight :(
Apparently our tubing does work with the negative pressure doors. As far as the actual tubing goes, I saw a picture of them hanging it from a ceiling lift so it didn't touch the floor.
On the bright side as of Tuesday we are able to do in-house testing for COVID. Which means our turn around is now 12 - 24 hours instead of 48 - 72. There is also early discussion about the local university allowing healthcare workers to temporarily reside in the dormitories there to prevent taking any pathogens home.

trauma llama posted:

We graduate in 6ish weeks. We are still going to go on campus for a few more days of crisis sim lab, b/c sure why the gently caress not.
This is weird to me, campuses here have been closed for at least two weeks. I suppose it depends what country you're in though. I was talking with a nursing student and although she does have classes / placements deferred the rest of her education is online.

e: Forgot to mention we increased our already stringent visitor policy. If you are actively dying you can have one assigned visitor. I think patients giving birth may also have one person.

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 26, 2020

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

We have had no visitors on Covid cohorts for two weeks now, dying or not. I can’t imagine trying to get a family into safe PPE and not get sick

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Understandable, even seeing visitors manage PPE for c-diff is usually full of enough holes. To clarify my earlier statement, I meant that there are no visitors allowed hospital-wide. As others have said, elective procedures were cancelled as of about two weeks ago here as well.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

This is weird to me, campuses here have been closed for at least two weeks. I suppose it depends what country you're in though. I was talking with a nursing student and although she does have classes / placements deferred the rest of her education is online.

e: Forgot to mention we increased our already stringent visitor policy. If you are actively dying you can have one assigned visitor. I think patients giving birth may also have one person.

Nah, it is purely my program being weird and grim as gently caress. Everyone else has been off for weeks. We also had some classmate screaming and writing letters to the governer to get us out of our crna clinicals b/c it was so unsafe and she has asthma. She has since moved in with her boyfriend in New York City and is begging the program to fast track her graduation so she can “go help.” My cohort is full of asshats.

My partner is an ob provider. Her hospital’s policy is only one visitor and no switching out. Initially they were also allowing duelas, but they have since banned them.

Her office has gone to all drive though visits for uncomplicated pregnancy

trauma llama fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 27, 2020

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

trauma llama posted:

Her office has gone to all drive though visits for uncomplicated pregnancy

That’s gotta be one hell of a fast delivery. Do they hang oxytocin on one of the grab handles? Will this result in a resurgence of station wagons?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm riding a cush informatics gig right now. Word on high is that we are likely to get press-ganged back to bedside if staffing gets wrecked. That's not too surprising.

I've only been at this hospital and area for a few months now, and I don't really like either. A part of me is considering saying 'gently caress it' and just go back bedside now. The current climate might allow me to land a gig in the ICU at the hospital of my choosing, and for elevated pay. If I get covid, I'd rather get it while working at a beach front hospital and not in podunk Alabama...

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Cacafuego posted:

That’s gotta be one hell of a fast delivery. Do they hang oxytocin on one of the grab handles? Will this result in a resurgence of station wagons?

drat, I should have clarified that this is for prenatal office visits. No idea what they are going to do for centering groups. Telehealth maybe?

Although when they had a birth center up and running apparently you could be in and out in something like 4 hours flat if you, as she states, “dropped it like it’s hot.”

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I work ICU in Ohio. We haven’t been hit to hard with Covid yet but we’re designated to take sister hospitals covid patients. We can manage just about everything here except ECMO. Those will go to our main.

We had our first Covid + last week that was super sick. Proned twice etc. Now they are slowly trickling in. 3 total critical ones. 2-3 moderate but improving.

I was able to have the 1st covid be able to FaceTime his wife and kid once he was more stable after the pronation. Took a few days but I feel accomplished.

Our PPE is enough. Our census is actually down so we are lack of working some nurses but our system expects the worst in May. I’ve seen recent RNs from our unit who went to other areas in the cafeteria lately. They’re all being retrained to be beside RNs and being put into a labor pool for later.

They’re are already plans in place for us on what will be expected as our staff suffers medical or LOA attrition.

Our staff really wanted scrubs to be provided to us. The administration figured out the logistics for it and we have them today. Now they want to be able to wear their own jackets/fleeces or undershirts cause the unit is cold :aaaaa:

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Weebly posted:

I work ICU in Ohio. We haven’t been hit to hard with Covid yet but we’re designated to take sister hospitals covid patients. We can manage just about everything here except ECMO. Those will go to our main.
We're not offering ECMO to our Covid patients at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

We're not offering ECMO to our Covid patients at all.

We aren’t offering ECMO, CRRT, CPR/Defib isn’t even offered if your wrap sheet is long. Families are piiiiiiiiised 94 yo nana doesn’t get pulverised chest and poor outcomes.