Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

Because it's awesome as gently caress.

I'd prefer to go caving but that still looks like a ton of fun.

Caving is definitely the better way to kill yourself, don't settle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What about caving, while diving underwater?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Dr.Smasher posted:

The best part is when the people coming down to retrieve your corpse die.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Caving should be outlawed.

That’s where bats live, and gently caress having anything to do with bats or pangolins.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dr.Smasher posted:

I think that is caving, otherwise you're just another spelunker dork.

I'm no expert, though.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

evobatman posted:

The best part is when the people coming down to retrieve your corpse die.

:hfive:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SilvergunSuperman posted:

"woops, I had my arm lifted the wrong way/took a breath at the wrong time/had my foot at the wrong angle, guess I'll die"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Breathing in isn’t the problem, it’s when you breathe out and your bubbles disturb the ceiling enough to cause a partial cave-in :eng101:

This is why rebreathers are popular (that and the extended bottom time), but check my post history in this thread for why those are OSHA as all gently caress.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
:nms: Didn’t wear eye protection, not gory just disturbing, eye survived.

https://i.imgur.com/3t7wF2H.jpg

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cartoon Man posted:

Now that's a steely gaze!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cartoon Man posted:

These body mod people have officially gone too far

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/kaiser-permanente-nurses-coronavirus/

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/kaiser-permanente-nurses-coronavirus/

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Breathing in isn’t the problem, it’s when you breathe out and your bubbles disturb the ceiling enough to cause a partial cave-in :eng101:

This is why rebreathers are popular (that and the extended bottom time), but check my post history in this thread for why those are OSHA as all gently caress.

Jesus gently caress. To hell with any place where breathing can literally kill you. That includes areas where anchor chains are stored, pig poo poo ponds, and now underwater caves where an accidental release of bubbles can kill you.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Today's Intercept headline is: "Is the Trump cult a death cult?" so, you know, maybe a little hyperbole going on here with the Kaiser thing (which was put out by one of the local unions).

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I would love to read this thread when humanity lives in orbit around the ruins of this planet, seveneves style.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Trump cult is a death cult so I don't see the issue

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The Kaisers here in the bay area do not have masks and gowns. The protest that happened, did in fact happen.

I do not know if the 'fired on the spot' thing is true tho.

https://abc7news.com/6044429/

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Beef posted:

I would love to read this thread when humanity lives in orbit around the ruins of this planet, seveneves style.

Goddamn that was a good book. And now I have time to read it again.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://i.imgur.com/3KUnkiP.mp4

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ixian posted:

Today's Intercept headline is: "Is the Trump cult a death cult?" so, you know, maybe a little hyperbole going on here with the Kaiser thing (which was put out by one of the local unions).

the gop is literally a death cult bud hth

If you don't believe me look at all their quotes this week about sacrificing a few percent of the country to save the stock market.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The first half of that response is as expected for a hospital administrator: there's a shortage on PPE and a new source of info to excuse their use as a blanket solution to try and save them for specific at risk procedures.

The part where they are going "seriously guys I swear stop wearing the masks! Guys stop it! Imma get you on insubordination" is the bad part. If anybody gets n95s in this hell world it's healthcare workers even if they aren't front line corona virus care (because they might be soon enough) and the pressure should be upward on the feds to put their thumbs on the scales that get masks out of consumer and retailer hands and back into the medical supply chain.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The whole DIY PPE thing is terrifying, and it's only gonna get worse. I used to work at an eye clinic which is currently still seeing urgent and emergent patients, and they haven't been able to get masks. Solution? I've been making them fabric surgical masks (at their request) that they can sterilize and reuse, and the fabric I've been using was originally a sheet I got at the thrift store. I know fabric masks only protect at 50% or less but that's better than 0%. It's like those Arab Spring guys using cooking pots as helmets.

What a world.

The design was spurred by a phone call from a nurse friend in our local ER. They were having to go without or at best share and sanitise shields last week. They managed to get more in but only for key staff. We have a group ramping up to print the Czech Prusa open source one using the laser cutter at the local school but they don't have the printer capacity so being on the board of the local makerspace we've put out an APB to print frames frames frames. In the short term I have capacity to make up to ~275 of these lightweight ones. Tomorrow I'm picking up a KAM snap press to make them modular and washable. Takes about 5 minutes to make one from a bare sheet and IMO it works really well. The return lip on the bottom stiffens the shield, catches moisture and also hooks the users breath back up and out the sides of the mask. This is evident by matter of you get a real good idea of what your breath smells like.

The main compliment it has had is that it is incredibly light and low-fatigue.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Memento posted:

"woops, I had my arm lifted the wrong way/took a breath at the wrong time/had my foot at the wrong angle, guess I'll die"

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Spotted this in the wild today, thought the thread might like it:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Who is "they"? The Brotherhood of Escalator Builders*? Because I can't think of anyone else who would bother to have an opinion on elevator constructors, let alone hate them.

* I have no idea if this exists or not.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ixian posted:

Well, the answer to that question is "Yes", so....

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ixian posted:

Christianity's more or less a 2000 year old Jewish death cult so it's really not all that far off the mark.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

What's so OSHA about that? It's a person using a bicycle track for its intended purpose.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ATP_Power posted:

Spotted this in the wild today, thought the thread might like it:

everyone wants to be an elevator constructor until it's time to construct elevators.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Craptacular posted:

Who is "they"? The Brotherhood of Escalator Builders*? Because I can't think of anyone else who would bother to have an opinion on elevator constructors, let alone hate them.

* I have no idea if this exists or not.

The problem with lift companies is that the construction element is pretty good but every maintenance, after sales or admin person I've dealt with at them was terrible and the name "Schindler" will provoke a reaction in my mind far faster than I'll think to say "oh cool, construction or maintenance?".

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm sure there are a lot of elevator-related injury stories, too.

Didn't somebody get decapitated by an elevator late last year?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've liked all my elevator mechanics. I think it tends to draw quality workers because the pay is pretty good for the trades with all the OT they get, at least around DC. All my issues stem from the companies loading their routes up until they don't have time to come by for routine stuff and responding to calls takes hours unless it's a trap.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

I'm not even particularly claustrophobic, and this is loving me up. Holy poo poo.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Helen Highwater posted:

I'm not even particularly claustrophobic, and this is loving me up. Holy poo poo.

It took me a while to see the upside down dude then immediately felt loving horrible, gently caress that’s cursed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

despite the rescue efforts that guy died inside the cave btw and they couldn't even get his body out. they just sealed it up.

gently caress caves. i hate them

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

Get ready to slide down through a 2 foot high shute into an abandoned mine with super janky supports eveywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xBv_mbbw64

I love abandoned mine exploration videos.

If you know the risks and know what you are doing they aren't that dangerous. Though I suppose that can be said about fluorine chemistry or anything else

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Plans in case you are without and want to roll your own face shield from random stationary, stay safe goons.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1XnDbY_xf06vkaHSAbl583Zmc9VVEaKsT

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Sagebrush posted:

despite the rescue efforts that guy died inside the cave btw and they couldn't even get his body out. they just sealed it up.

gently caress caves. i hate them

Let me guess...

...googling...

Of course that fucker had kids. Because when you have small kids the right thing to do is to engage in some ultra-hazardous hobby since otherwise I would feel like I'm not even living, man!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sammus posted:

Jesus gently caress. To hell with any place where breathing can literally kill you. That includes areas where anchor chains are stored, pig poo poo ponds, and now underwater caves where an accidental release of bubbles can kill you.

Skip to 8:15 for the ultimate "Oh gently caress" moment. Partial cave in from bubbles, visibility drops to zero, diver loses his line in a cave. Buddy finds him, brings him back out. Decision made to switch to rebreathers :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvNWboZ96YY

e: ~10:30 has a diver's body who didn't make it out that's been there for around 30 years, probably :nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Peak cave horror that I've not heard of in a decade of these threads, with the bonus OSHA of amateur dambuilding:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/what-lies-beneath-mossdale-caving-disaster-794268.html