Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bought the farm posted:

I thunk this is the patient from Lancaster. 17-year-old died of septic shock after being sick with the virus for 5 days. Dad (Uber driver) also tested positive.

Jesus that sucks.

Also just read about some 34 year old paramedic from NYC who is on life support too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
3 workers in Laguna Honda elder facility (780 residents) have tested positive :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fermun posted:

3 workers in Laguna Honda elder facility (780 residents) have tested positive :(

Welp we know how that story ends.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

fermun posted:

:(

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

fermun posted:

poo poo, that's right next to me. there was a bunch of sirens and an alertsf warning to avoid the area on sunday, wonder if that was related.

i can't imagine this ending well for the residents :(. wonder if they'll accept opened boxes/bags of n95 masks i have left over from fire season.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Does anyone know if there are bills being proposed in the state legislature to cover the cost of Coronavirus treatment? Testing has been made free but there is a disturbing lack of any legislation at the federal or state level to cover treatment costs.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I'm wondering if this crisis could help support of SB 562.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Does anyone know if there are bills being proposed in the state legislature to cover the cost of Coronavirus treatment? Testing has been made free but there is a disturbing lack of any legislation at the federal or state level to cover treatment costs.

All I know is the insurance companies came out and made a statement that said you pay your part and we play ours just like always.

My last trip to the hospital was a 15,000 bill for a baby.

I had to pay 2k after insurance.

My work pays 10k a year for my insurance.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

spunkshui posted:

All I know is the insurance companies came out and made a statement that said you pay your part and we play ours just like always.

This poo poo is shameful and unsustainable.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
CA just overrode their previous stat and says that a minimum of 66800 tests have been conducted in the state of CA.

This is a doubling of the 32,000 and due to the fact that private hospitals were not reporting negative cases until yesterday.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad to see we're testing. 66800 is barely a drop in the bucket, but it's better than nothing.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

"Gov. Newsom announces 90-day California mortgage payment grace period"
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Gov-Newsom-announces-90-day-California-mortgage-15157133.php?t=c36830038e

Now we need a rent grace period.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

ntan1 posted:

CA just overrode their previous stat and says that a minimum of 66800 tests have been conducted in the state of CA.

This is a doubling of the 32,000 and due to the fact that private hospitals were not reporting negative cases until yesterday.

This is good news. Do you have a article for that? I'm curious how many new cases have been added from that.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spunkshui posted:

Yeah, ended up paying almost triple that after insurance, with a "platinum" insurance plan and no complications. The US healthcare system's broken, full stop, and this pandemic just highlights this further. Medicare for All or bust.

Speaking of which, it's so Cool and Good that celebrities can get coronavirus testing anytime they want, symptoms or no symptoms. :shepface:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Gov-Newsom-announces-90-day-California-mortgage-15157133.php?t=c36830038e

This is incredibly regressive without doing rent as well

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

:agreed:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

bought the farm posted:

I thunk this is the patient from Lancaster. 17-year-old died of septic shock after being sick with the virus for 5 days. Dad (Uber driver) also tested positive.

It's looking like that story is more complex. A 17-year-old with other health issues died of septic shock while infected with COVID-19. It's going to take more testing to figure this one out.

"The L.A. Times posted:

“The juvenile fatality that the Los Angeles County Department Public Health reported earlier today will require further evaluation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,” a county statement read. “Though early tests indicated a positive result for COVID-19, the case is complex, and there may be an alternate explanation for this fatality. Patient privacy prevents our offering further details at this time.”

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm literally refinancing as we speak and it's amusing to think that I could be signing papers in 3 days in which I promise in writing and witnessed by a notary to pay a mortgage payment that I do not, in fact, have to pay.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'm literally refinancing as we speak and it's amusing to think that I could be signing papers in 3 days in which I promise in writing and witnessed by a notary to pay a mortgage payment that I do not, in fact, have to pay.

I'm in the market right now to buy and my loan person said the rates are fluctuating between low 3s and high 4s randomly these past few weeks for a 30-year fixed. It's wild.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm in the market right now to buy and my loan person said the rates are fluctuating between low 3s and high 4s randomly these past few weeks for a 30-year fixed. It's wild.

Initially banks dropped rates when the fed dumped the rate to 0, but they got such a huge flood of refi business that within days they started pushing rates up just to slow down the overwhelming amount of work. I'm lucky in that I have a broker who was on board with me and we locked in a rate of 2.625% on a 15 year note with no points. In the house buying/owning threads a few people got ~3% with no points on 30 years about that time too. I think we will see rates dip again over the next few months as sales grind to a halt with skyrocketing (hopefully temporary) unemployment, banks free up liquidity again, and they start looking for more business. But that's just a guess on my part really.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'd expect this soon, otherwise its rioting in the streets in less than 40 days

or just a total default as several million people are unable to leave their apartments or pay rent or find a job and california goes "well, we aren't enforcing any evictions until 2021 at the earliest"

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

TheAgent posted:

I'd expect this soon, otherwise its rioting in the streets in less than 40 days

or just a total default as several million people are unable to leave their apartments or pay rent or find a job and california goes "well, we aren't enforcing any evictions until 2021 at the earliest"

Seriously. If the landlord doesn't have to pay their mortgage, having the renter pay rent is just stupid.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 26, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Is this just for those 4 banks? I've had my mortgage sold and re-sold so many times I couldn't actually tell you who my autopay is going to without digging through my emails.
I do know I initially bought the house with Wells and they sold it off before I even made the first payment.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Seriously. If the landlord doesn't have to pay their mortgage, having the renter pay rent is just stupid.

Excuse me sir, but that is their hard earned money!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

have you considered that property owners are just better people and that renters are filthy, subhuman animals who deserve only death? we already suffer them to vote, what more do you want?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

This is good news. Do you have a article for that? I'm curious how many new cases have been added from that.

No article, but this was from Gavin Newsom on his twitter conference. The result is also posted here:

https://covid19.ca.gov/

The site is stating that 48,600 are pending, but as a data scientist my suspicion is that most of the tests have already returned positive/negative and approximately 10k-20k are the actual results pending. Newsom specifically said in his press conference that Kaiser, Stanford, and the UCs were probably the largest private labs, and these major sets of hospitals all have announced that they have in house labs that return results in under 12 hours. It's just that the state govt itself doesn't have full confirmation yet so they list a status as pending info.

Newsom also said that there were another 150k test kits soon to arrive within the state.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 26, 2020

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Two more workers at Laguna Honda test positive :(
https://twitter.com/TrishaThadani/status/1242989064770355201

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

FCKGW posted:

All the hardware stores are running their spring super sales right now which is their second busiest time of the year. Combine that with a bunch of bored house dads and it’s super packed right now.
It would be different if they were buying loving tomato/zucchini/veggie seedlings, you can get a lot of food off of that, but some 60 year old had the forklift kid loading 10 bags of soil into his pickup, while the poor kid had a facemask on.

Like what are you even doing with that much soil, besides preemptively burying yourself alive to help flatten the curve.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Oneiros posted:

have you considered that property owners are just better people and that renters are filthy, subhuman animals who deserve only death? we already suffer them to vote, what more do you want?

this is what my neighbor who smells like poop thinks

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Have a friend who left her husband last year, they share an apartment but she moved out and found a room.
He doesn't work and still lives at the apartment and she's been paying for the apartment and room to avoid an eviction on her record since they are both on the lease and he refuses to leave.

She also just lost her job. My question is I suppose is if they get evicted, are there any eviction forgiveness plans coming down the line so she can walk away with a clean record? Obviously rent freeze would be ideal but, america.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Have a friend who left her husband last year, they share an apartment but she moved out and found a room.
He doesn't work and still lives at the apartment and she's been paying for the apartment and room to avoid an eviction on her record since they are both on the lease and he refuses to leave.

She also just lost her job. My question is I suppose is if they get evicted, are there any eviction forgiveness plans coming down the line so she can walk away with a clean record? Obviously rent freeze would be ideal but, america.

Currently there’s a 90 day mortgage payment freeze, renters can get hosed

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My kids school just got canceled through May 1. Which is great, but man if it isn't tough keeping them all on task for their online classes while I try to work from home and mom still having to go into work because she's essential. Like, actually essential, not car wash essential.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My kids school just got canceled through May 1.
Yeah, unfortunately it's a mishmash of per school per teacher poo poo right now. I know one school is doing distance learning all through Google Classroom and another is actually having a rough schedule of the day so kids have some structure while they're away (i.e. check in to Period 1 from 10:15-11:15 M/W online) and encouraging use of Zoom because it's got timelogged poo poo. Other teachers are just doing worksheet/essay stuff through GSuite and offering feedback through online collab.

Teachers have been instructed to ease up on work and meetings (like you don't necessarily need to meet 3 times a week or daily) because all the kids are getting swamped with additional work now that the closure period is longer than 2-3 weeks.

There's also concerns about how to factor in social wellness into the schedule since kids are complaining that they don't get any socialization anymore. And don't even start asking about ESL/SpED populations...

It's real wild west poo poo and just exposes how lackluster the idea of remote learning/online academy is when put to practice.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

FilthyImp posted:

It's real wild west poo poo and just exposes how lackluster the idea of remote learning/online academy is when put to practice.

It's also a good thing that we completely eliminated child homelessness, have a nationalized & free internet service and everyone has 1 home computer per child.

Edit: :(

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 26, 2020

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, poo poo’s hosed from a teacher perspective and everyone is scrambling to figure out how to handle everything. It’s loving nuts. Stressing me the hell out

Edit: like personally I’m trying to figure out how to be there for my students while not making it so my kiddos who don’t have regular computer access fall far behind. It’s impossible, I hate it.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Hawkperson posted:

Yeah, poo poo’s hosed from a teacher perspective and everyone is scrambling to figure out how to handle everything. It’s loving nuts. Stressing me the hell out

Edit: like personally I’m trying to figure out how to be there for my students while not making it so my kiddos who don’t have regular computer access fall far behind. It’s impossible, I hate it.

I learned that Microsoft PowerPoint has the ability to not only record presentations with my face and voice and pen strokes but I can even export them to video that I can toss on YouTube.

Has to be a weird mindfuck for the kids to actually miss going to school.

I hope I get to see this batch again before summer.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

im hooting and hollering folks

lets get weird

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chard posted:

im hooting and hollering folks

lets get weird

Keep Portland reality weird.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Latest COVID-19 death in Riverside county was a 25 year old with no known prior medical conditions

quote:

The death of a 25-year-old pharmacy technician from novel coronavirus has health officials warning the community that COVID-19 can be deadly for all and not just those who are elderly.

The body of the pharmacy technician was found March 25 in a La Quinta residence, said Dr. Cameron Kaiser, Riverside County public health officer. The identity of the San Diego County resident is not being disclosed.“

This is a deeply saddening reminder that COVID-19 kills the young and healthy too,” said Kaiser. “Stay safe. Keep travel and errands to essentials, and observe social distance no matter how young or well you are. Our condolences and thoughts are with everyone this pandemic has touched.”

Health officials said the individual was exposed to COVID-19 outside Riverside County and was in self quarantine in La Quinta when he died. The current eight deaths in Riverside County had been residents older than 70and most had underlying health conditions.The pharmacy technician had no underlying health issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LA is keeping it classy

https://twitter.com/dillonliam/status/1243734535323283456?s=21