Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Mebh posted:

I'm so loving angry and scared. I don't even know what to do, I'm trying very hard to not just drain an entire bottle of whiskey.

My mother is 76. Lives by herself with a cat in the arse end of south wales away from everyone. The one person I wasn't worried about as she never sees anyone else except her landlord who makes her roast dinners every weekend. She has parkinsons and a whole host of other medical issues.

She thought it'd be great to go clap for the NHS at 8pm last night in her garden. Solidarity and all.

She slipped and broke her loving ankle.

Fucks. Sake. What do I even do? I live with an immunocompromised diabetic at the other end of the country and pretty much can't go visit her. She's just sitting at home saying "Oh well I wasn't doing anything anyway, and can't really walk anyway. I've put some peas on it but it really hurts a lot"

She can't go to a hospital. Doctors aren't doing call outs. She's just gonna sit there and be crippled?

And yes, you're allowed to laugh. It's quite ironic.

if she or someone else is able to do & interpret the Ottawa rules then you can either rule out a fracture at home (i.e. it would be a sprain not a break and just needs the usual rest/ice/elevation/compression til better) or work out that it needs an X-ray. If you think it might be broken (positive Ottawa or just not sure) then she needs an X-ray. Best done in A&E or a minor injury unit (the latter probably better for this). If she can get into a taxi then doesn't need an ambulance (a taxi will arrive quicker than an ambulance anyway in this situation).

edit: i would like it if someone could supply my place of work with 244 of those 3d printed face shields

oxford_town fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Mebh posted:

I'm so loving angry and scared. I don't even know what to do, I'm trying very hard to not just drain an entire bottle of whiskey.

My mother is 76. Lives by herself with a cat in the arse end of south wales away from everyone. The one person I wasn't worried about as she never sees anyone else except her landlord who makes her roast dinners every weekend. She has parkinsons and a whole host of other medical issues.

She thought it'd be great to go clap for the NHS at 8pm last night in her garden. Solidarity and all.

She slipped and broke her loving ankle.

Fucks. Sake. What do I even do? I live with an immunocompromised diabetic at the other end of the country and pretty much can't go visit her. She's just sitting at home saying "Oh well I wasn't doing anything anyway, and can't really walk anyway. I've put some peas on it but it really hurts a lot"

She can't go to a hospital. Doctors aren't doing call outs. She's just gonna sit there and be crippled?

And yes, you're allowed to laugh. It's quite ironic.

She needs to get it checked if she thinks its broken, seriously, esp with other conditions factored in. Get her to call 111.

They might do a paramedic call out who can advise further.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
guy i've been sitting next to at work pretty much lives with his parents and his mam is an NHS worker and has tested positive lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've lost track of whose had it and who hasn't. Can't there be a "gang tag" or whatever for survivors so I know who not to post next to?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Nenonen posted:

This was bad two days ago when Telegraph printed it but now it's good

I want to scream that the potion doesn't work on Obilix (sp?) but I guess time has made the cartoon correct.

I guess Boris fell into the Corona as a baby.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Nenonen posted:

This was bad two days ago when Telegraph printed it but now it's good

FFS. Obelix doesn't get magic potion (except once iirc, but I can't remember which story that was in). Everyone knows this.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm the guy that doesn't know

This made think about that other tweet from a few pages ago when the guy filming the clapping asked Who is NHS?

Edit: I can see that our Guavanaut has obliged with a repost, so nyer

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've lost track of whose had it and who hasn't. Can't there be a "gang tag" or whatever for survivors so I know who not to post next to?

"I survived COVID-19 and all I got was these lousy T-Cells"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angrymog posted:

FFS. Obelix doesn't get magic potion (except once iirc, but I can't remember which story that was in). Everyone knows this.

He fell in the cauldron when he was a baby! Imagine not knowing that. Our politoonists are so shite

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Angrymog posted:

Asterix and Cleopatra. I think he uses it to break out of a pyramid.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jakabite posted:

URGENT we are launching a RENT STRIKE campaign to show solidarity with those who won't be able to pay their rent this month due to the COVID-19 ciris and the lack of support from the goverment. Please SIGN our pettion saying you won't be paying your rent this month, FOLLOW our social media and SHARE with all your contacts. WE'RE NOT ASKING, WE'RE NOT REPAYING
- PETITION: https://www.change.org/p/all-london-landlords-covid-19-rent-strike-london
- FB EVENT: https://www.facebook.com/events/2727259960722211/
- TWITTER: https://twitter.com/rentstrikeLDN
- SOLIDARITY GROUP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/530146277674135
- FB PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/rentstrikelondon

Please like, sign, join, share, all that good poo poo. The idea is that the solidarity group will be key in supporting people going forward and we hope that people will make WhatsApp chats off the back of it.

Any Instagram stuff?

Hopefully nobody will need it, but death bits:
https://www.gov.uk/when-someone-dies
https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits/bereavement

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

As long as you don't quote anyone you should be fine

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
going to a virtual party tonight :woop:

we're going to drink indoors and play juvenile games, so it will be exactly the same as whenever we met up in the before times except in cyberspace :roboluv:

the one nice thing about this whole mess is that I've been getting lots of messages off the people I always mean to text but never quite get round to doing it

e: actually I thought of another nice thing, I keep being slightly startled when I notice that I can't hear any planes

XMNN fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 27, 2020

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

despite laying off and furloughing a bunch of people, my work has hired a new supervisor who starts monday

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
sorry been busy so i haven't gotten a chance to respond to the news but just

lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Italy: 969 dead today

We haven't even done a proper lockdown, we should have done it on Monday to keep pace with Italy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not UK related but very UKMT related and I know we all enjoy a pick me up in these trying times:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Edit: Sorry, 46 doctors have died in total, with 4 more today.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

My mom went to India to visit the Golden Temple in Amritsar like the day before India shut the air travel down. She didn't take anything I said seriously before she got on the plane, telling me I'm worried about stuff I saw on the TV. Now she's in her village and the police have been visiting her every day to make sure she is quarantined for 14 days, a measure I never thought the Indian police capable of, especially without demanding bribes. That's made her realise this is serious, and she cancelled her trip to the temple. When I talked to her earlier I felt like the parent ffs.

No idea how she gets back in the foreseeable future.

What is it with the olds? Survivorship bias must result in hubris.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

We haven't even done a proper lockdown, we should have done it on Monday to keep pace with Italy

its one of those famous quarantines where you let people leave at least twice a day on the honour system

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Not UK related but very UKMT related and I know we all enjoy a pick me up in these trying times:

https://twitter.com/MejbelPajns/status/1242906527767433216?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

My mom went to India to visit the Golden Temple in Amritsar like the day before India shut the air travel down. She didn't take anything I said seriously before she got on the plane, telling me I'm worried about stuff I saw on the TV. Now she's in her village and the police have been visiting her every day to make sure she is quarantined for 14 days, a measure I never thought the Indian police capable of, especially without demanding bribes. That's made her realise this is serious, and she cancelled her trip to the temple. When I talked to her earlier I felt like the parent ffs.

No idea how she gets back in the foreseeable future.

What is it with the olds? Survivorship bias must result in hubris.

they genuinely think they lived through the war

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wh..

But that's the whole point of being a sub is that you...

What???

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

On the plus side enough people do seem to be taking it seriously enough that it'll hopefully reduce transmission sufficiently to stop the exponential growth

Not sure why the news is full of sensationalist panic about Italy having lots more deaths 2 weeks after the lockdown over a virus that takes roughly 2-3 weeks to kill. Cases seem to be plateauing, which is the important figure

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Cases seem to be plateauing, which is the important figure

???

e: oh you mean in italy....
still pretty optimistic looking at the graphs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

brazilians have decided to show that they can't be stopped because bolsonaro is telling them everything is fine

https://twitter.com/delucca/status/1243331237089087489

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Communist Thoughts posted:

???

e: oh you mean in italy....
still pretty optimistic looking at the graphs

New cases peaked at 6.5k on the 21st and while yesterday was a bit of a jump haven't passed that since

Peak deaths will come in about a fortnight to a month. After that they should be in recovery so long as the lockdown is maintained long enough.

E: Yes Italy, and we're 2 weeks behind them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are they growing exponentially, if not, the lockdown is working.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

knox_harrington posted:

Yes, that is what I wrote, but in this case my impression was the family wishes overrode the patient’s best interests. Which is why I told the story.

When my dad was dying (80 with oesophageal cancer) we had the booklet from the doc and the St David's about his wishes. Dad made it clear he didn't want resus. This really upset mum who said to the doc 'we want everything possible done'. My siblings and I had to talk her down from that and sister who had worked in a hospital years ago as a student nurse told her what would be potentially involved which mum had no idea about.

Anyway after that I made sure to record all dad's wishes including his funeral playlist (we had to fight the vicar over one of them!)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cases might be plateauing simply because testing capacity has been reached. Deaths are the clearest indicator we have, and they're still rising 2.5 weeks after the nationwide lockdown.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyway after that I made sure to record all dad's wishes including his funeral playlist (we had to fight the vicar over one of them!)

Was it highway to hell?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

sassassin posted:

they're still rising 2.5 weeks after the nationwide lockdown.

Which is entirely in keeping with the way the virus works. If they're still rising a fortnight to a month from now, then it's time to worry.

Honestly I'm bricking myself but I feel like half the people itt are looking for reasons to wallow in despair.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

we also havent really done a lockdown yet. its mostly voluntary still.

no PPE for the NHS still.
not even a word of support for the min wage key workers in food retail that keep the country alive
nobody in gov or media is literate enough to have read the word "case isolation" yet
still no community testing for at least 2 weeks

we're still gonna be spreading the poo poo out of this

e

ThomasPaine posted:

Which is entirely in keeping with the way the virus works. If they're still rising a fortnight to a month from now, then it's time to worry.

Honestly I'm bricking myself but I feel like half the people itt are looking for reasons to wallow in despair.

its not despair, its just being realistic.
this isnt enough and obviously it isnt.

it reminds me of like when the gov was saying "theres been no civilian casualties at all in iraq since 200x" which was obviously untrue on the face of it if you were at all conected to reality but the gov said so so the media mistook that for reality.
knowing the reality of dropping bombs on people, some investigators figured out its coz they weren't recording any deaths. simple.

the lockdown still lets people outside at least twice a day, some people more than they would have anyway, theres no protection for workers in the key vectors of spread like transport and supermarkets, which means they will get infected and aren't wearing masks to stop them infecting others.
i would hope that the spread will at least slow compared to doing nothing. but i wouldnt expect it to stop as if a quarantine had been enacted, because one hasn't been :shrug:

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 27, 2020

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
is nicola sturgeon good or just sort of a neolib with a left-nationalist veneer

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

we also havent really done a lockdown yet. its mostly voluntary still.

no PPE for the NHS still.
not even a word of support for the min wage key workers in food retail that keep the country alive
nobody in gov or media is literate enough to have read the word "case isolation" yet
still no community testing for at least 2 weeks

we're still gonna be spreading the poo poo out of this

ThomasPaine posted:

half the people itt are looking for reasons to wallow in despair.

A lockdown doesn't have to be perfect to stall a virus like this in its tracks. The more complete the better of course but as OF said anything that brings it below exponential growth will work, it might just take a little longer.

cargo cult posted:

She's left by the standards of UK politics but she would prioritise Scottish independence over anything else and regardless of her personal beliefs she is concerned with holding together a tenuous cross-ideological party and will make whatever concessions to capital that requires.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 27, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am very glad I went out today to pick up some beers and food. So I will not need to leave the house for another week or so to purchase food.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

cargo cult posted:

she's "the adult in the room" of british politics, but its become extremely clear how little power the SNP actually have. they're basically a fake government LARPing at being government, ruled by yet another fake government LARPing at being government lol

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think that for as long as Dominos are advertising themselves as a community food hub and hiring were probably really really hosed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cargo cult posted:

The latter, but the veneer isn't leftist either. The SNP just convinced people that it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

whats funny is all the MPs getting infected shows that its not that they were taking this personally seriously but leaving the rest of us out to get infected.
they genuinely just aren't up to this and have been ignoring it personally too

bojo getting infected and infecting all the other ghouls on stage with him was insanely obvious weeks ago, like the rest of this poo poo.