Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Re Rise is surprisingly solid, especially when you consider how bad Divers got. I think it helps that the showrunners put a lot of thought into how the story will work. They alternate between a character development episode and a battle episode so the fights look better on average. When someone gets a character arc episode, usually another character advances their own arc as well. There's a reasonable explanation why the MC is more skilled than his teammates. And there's also a clear sense of story progression and stakes going on. The fact that the season ends with Eldora getting hosed because the villain succeded in firing off their colony laser at it was such a Gundam thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Did ReRise finish or is it only on the end of Season 1?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

Did ReRise finish or is it only on the end of Season 1?

Season one, continuing in April.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Re Rise is surprisingly solid, especially when you consider how bad Divers got. I think it helps that the showrunners put a lot of thought into how the story will work. They alternate between a character development episode and a battle episode so the fights look better on average. When someone gets a character arc episode, usually another character advances their own arc as well. There's a reasonable explanation why the MC is more skilled than his teammates. And there's also a clear sense of story progression and stakes going on. The fact that the season ends with Eldora getting hosed because the villain succeded in firing off their colony laser at it was such a Gundam thing to do.

You left out that the villain fired the Death Star because one of the protagonists couldn't keep his mouth shut when repeatedly told to shut up :v:

Re Rise does what Try was (allegedly) trying to do and actually succeeds. Take an ensemble cast, get them to grow together as a team as well as grow individually, and gradually go from garbage tier to actually successful over time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, so they really just killed Kamille’s mom like that, huh. I mean, there’s definitely been way worse war crimes, but a militia being allowed to just abduct a citizen is a special kind of hosed.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Gundam does like killing off parents in brutal ways. Kamille's mom dying edges out Uso's mom's ott decapitation for me but barely.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Being a parent in the Universal Century qualifies you for hazard pay.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Man, so they really just killed Kamille’s mom like that, huh. I mean, there’s definitely been way worse war crimes, but a militia being allowed to just abduct a citizen is a special kind of hosed.

hey, Jerid is really sorry.

For a couple of seconds.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NikkolasKing posted:

hey, Jerid is really sorry.

For a couple of seconds.

In his meagre defence, I do think Jerid was actually trying to apologise to Camille, but when he got sass'd he immediately went "gently caress this kid."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Being a parent in the Universal Century qualifies you for hazard pay.

As if we didn't know Bright was underpaid already.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Onmi posted:

In his meagre defence, I do think Jerid was actually trying to apologise to Camille, but when he got sass'd he immediately went "gently caress this kid."

From what I’m coming to understand of Zeta this is a fairly sympathetic point of view.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I was just going over something and was wondering: Is there any substantive evidence that the Banshee is "dangerous" like Banagher says it is in the Unicorn OVA?

We know it's been handed to 1) a brainwashed Cyber-Newtype/Clone and 2) the King of the Incels, but is there anything that suggests the Banshee itself is inherently dangerous beyond the whole "NT-D takes control" problem both the Unicorn and the Banshee have?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I was just going over something and was wondering: Is there any substantive evidence that the Banshee is "dangerous" like Banagher says it is in the Unicorn OVA?

We know it's been handed to 1) a brainwashed Cyber-Newtype/Clone and 2) the King of the Incels, but is there anything that suggests the Banshee itself is inherently dangerous beyond the whole "NT-D takes control" problem both the Unicorn and the Banshee have?

Both Unicorn and Banshee are extremely dangerous and have the capability to overwhelm the pilot. Banagher gets Unicorn under control pretty early but Marida openly states that Banshee was loving her up even beyond the brainwashing.

Basically Banagher is pretty exceptional for actually being able to pilot the Unicorn at all and to even use NT-D mode but Banshee has all the same drawbacks. Riddhe is eventually able to get it under control but it takes a full-power Newtype Experience to actually get him into the right mindset for it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 31, 2020

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

ImpAtom posted:

Both Unicorn and Banshee are extremely dangerous and have the capability to overwhelm the pilot. Banagher gets Unicorn under control pretty early but Marida openly states that Banshee was loving her up even beyond the brainwashing.

Basically Banagher is pretty exceptional for actually being able to pilot the Unicorn at all and to even use NT-D mode but Banshee has all the same drawbacks. Riddhe is eventually able to get it under control but it takes a full-power Newtype Experience to actually get him into the right mindset for it.

I wonder how quickly Amuro would have gotten control of the unicorn

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

To add to this, they gloss over it in the anime but in the comics (and I'm assuming the novel too) they show that the Unicorns can cause paranoid hallucinations as well as straight up fry the pilot's brains, so in short it will compel the pilot to kill everyone around them then finish off the pilot itself. :ohdear:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

well that just sounds like the wing zero

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's also possible that the Banshee is more dangerous because it was exclusively designed as a Newtype-killing war machine, whereas the Unicorn was disguised as one but was actually meant to help and guide its pilot to Laplace's Box.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Last Celebration posted:

From what I’m coming to understand of Zeta this is a fairly sympathetic point of view.

Jerid legit did not know about Kamille's mom being in the pod and he never intended for someone to die like that, but he also doesn't *really* care because he's a self-centered prick. He feels superficially bad about it but his apology is sort of like "whoops, my bad bro" rather than "oh god i'm sorry holy poo poo i killed your mom aaaa".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Jerid legit did not know about Kamille's mom being in the pod and he never intended for someone to die like that, but he also doesn't *really* care because he's a self-centered prick. He feels superficially bad about it but his apology is sort of like "whoops, my bad bro" rather than "oh god i'm sorry holy poo poo i killed your mom aaaa".

The interesting thing about Jerid and Kamille is how they both start as kind of rear end in a top hat youths, but they go pretty hard in opposite directions as the show goes, despite them both being exposed to things that could have lead them out of their routes.

Kamille gets treated pretty lovely by the AEUG early on, basically drafted and beaten bloody by Wong Lee (noted middle management prick), and falls hard for a Titans pilot. But in the end, he winds up becoming less of an rear end, and steadily becomes Char's hope for the future, a real Newtype able to start to move beyond human frailty. He's also giving less and less of a poo poo about that one rear end in a top hat who keeps killing his friends and loved ones because who has time for that?

Jerid, meanwhile, has Lila and Mouar, not bad sorts despite flying on the side of the Titans, trying to mentor him and drag him into being, if not a good man, at least not a terrible one. And by Dakar, they're both dead since Jerid can't stop trying to kill Kamille. At Dakar, he interacts with a Titans rookie as fresh as he was at the beginning of the series and is confused and angry at how the guy seems to think that the Titans should be good guys who can argue their position, rather than a power grab. (Poor Ajis Aziba. He was a good man. What a rotten way to die.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

To add to this, they gloss over it in the anime but in the comics (and I'm assuming the novel too) they show that the Unicorns can cause paranoid hallucinations as well as straight up fry the pilot's brains, so in short it will compel the pilot to kill everyone around them then finish off the pilot itself. :ohdear:

My issue with Banagher's line is that it implies that there's something more dangerous about the Banshee that the Unicorn doesn't have. I didn't see anything in the resources I have suggesting that the Banshee's NT-D was fundamentally different from the Unicorn, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

ninjewtsu posted:

I mean, after having it laid out like that, now I see (or can at least accept) the parallel.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

chiasaur11 posted:

At Dakar, he interacts with a Titans rookie as fresh as he was at the beginning of the series and is confused and angry at how the guy seems to think that the Titans should be good guys who can argue their position, rather than a power grab. (Poor Ajis Aziba. He was a good man. What a rotten way to die.)

Jerid being caught on global television shooting a fresh Titan recruit in the middle of Char’s speech denouncing the Titans was probably one of his most boneheaded moves in the series too.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Warmachine posted:

My issue with Banagher's line is that it implies that there's something more dangerous about the Banshee that the Unicorn doesn't have. I didn't see anything in the resources I have suggesting that the Banshee's NT-D was fundamentally different from the Unicorn, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Ah, I see. Well that sort of thing I usually just place down to protagonist privilege :v:

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

MechaX posted:

Jerid being caught on global television shooting a fresh Titan recruit in the middle of Char’s speech denouncing the Titans was probably one of his most boneheaded moves in the series too.

His absolute most boneheaded was starting a fight at Dakar right next to the Federation political HQ, getting them annoyed at the Titans, and arguably losing the Gryps conflict on the spot in the long run.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gourdcaptain posted:

His absolute most boneheaded was starting a fight at Dakar right next to the Federation political HQ, getting them annoyed at the Titans, and arguably losing the Gryps conflict on the spot in the long run.

Hotshot arrogant pilot fucks up SO BADLY that his stupidity is directly responsible for the downfall of the entire organization he was trying to climb the ranks in is one of the funniest story beats from Zeta. It's a magnum opus of loving up.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

All that in the same week he got judo-thrown off the side of Literal Mount Kilimanjaro!

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Kanos posted:

Hotshot arrogant pilot fucks up SO BADLY that his stupidity is directly responsible for the downfall of the entire organization he was trying to climb the ranks in is one of the funniest story beats from Zeta. It's a magnum opus of loving up.

I am disappointed that Zeta didn't end with Jerrid having failed his way up to being in charge of the Titans, having caused the death of basically every single person above him. And by that point the Titans are about three people and have about five minutes to live. Just pay off him wanting to be in charge in the most fail way possible.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Well, what are the rank-and-file Titans other than a gathering of Earth’s failsons?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jerrid is the failson who hung on too long. No time for him when Sirocco and Haman are breathing up all the antagonist oxygen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gourdcaptain posted:

I am disappointed that Zeta didn't end with Jerrid having failed his way up to being in charge of the Titans, having caused the death of basically every single person above him. And by that point the Titans are about three people and have about five minutes to live. Just pay off him wanting to be in charge in the most fail way possible.

Nah, this wouldn't be as good because Jerid failing to the top of the Titans would mean that he succeeded at something(getting the rank and status he felt he deserved). The way it went - Jerid loving up so badly he ruins the Titans and then dying an obscure, meaningless death at the hands of a rival who doesn't really care about being his rival anymore because he's got way more important things on his mind than Jerid - is way more on brand.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I got the After War Gundam X BDs, and for a show that I thought looked kinda bad its amazing what a decent transfer (the old DVDs weren't a great transfer) does to make that series look better. It's not the best looking series as a series (Turn A), but its a marked improvement as a viewing experience.

Gundam X is kinda uneven and has weird pacing issues for me, but the last bit (29+) especially is incredibly strong.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's crazy how nice 80s/90s anime looks with a good bluray transfer.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Azubah posted:

It's crazy how nice 80s/90s anime looks with a good bluray transfer.

Likewise, it's amazing how bad late 90's/early 00's digital animation looks when released on BD, largely due to it all being done for 480i release only and then upscaled. Sometimes quite badly. Which is another reason I'm probably not watching Gundam SEED anytime soon, besides its reputation. (My standard example is comparing the traditionally animated first season of The Big O and the digitally animated second.)

That said, you can have amazingly bad BDs of classic anime, see the Armored Trooper VOTOMS BDs which didn't fail to deinterlace it, they deinterlaced it wrong so every 2/5 frames are a garbled mess.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tythas posted:

I wonder how quickly Amuro would have gotten control of the unicorn

Amuro would have punched that Gundam once, and it would have been done.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Amuro would have punched that Gundam once, and it would have been done.

Amuro would have suspected Char built it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I tried watching an episode of g gundam and it looks like a newgrounds animation poo poo out a turd. does anyone genuinely like it or is it all just "windmill gundam goes brrrr"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I tried watching an episode of g gundam and it looks like a newgrounds animation poo poo out a turd. does anyone genuinely like it or is it all just "windmill gundam goes brrrr"?

I'm not sure which episode you watched but yes, people unironically enjoy G Gundam. It is pretty different from standard Gundams but is very well crafted.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah well I think your anime taste buds are suspect, at best.:colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I liked it. Which episode do you watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I thought literally everybody liked G Gundam, from what I remember the animation seemed pretty in line with what you'd expect from the time. As long as you don't expect it to be about the same stuff that UC Gundam is about it's pretty fun.