Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe we can keep this whole thing going and work on massively reducing consumption and pollution that is caused by it :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Colonel Cancer posted:

Maybe we can keep this whole thing going and work on massively reducing consumption and pollution that is caused by it :angel:

you're thinking too small. we can also get massive unionization and the end of landlording too

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bronze Fonz posted:

I just went to the grocery store to get some necessities and a liquor store.

There was something so loving troubling on everyone's face, in everyone's gaze.

When the daily life initially stopped and suddenly there were waiting lines everywhere, getting asked if you had recently travelled or felt sick by a store's security staff before being asked to disinfect your hands. People were still a bit jolly and keeping their spirits through it. A common effort through though times but we'll get through it, basically.

Today's vibe was something of a taste of acceptance that everything has changed forever. I'm not sure how to put it in words. It just felt like the last few days where the "previous normal" was still recent enough that there was still a part of us still hoping we'd go back to it.

Or maybe it's just me.

In any case, things will never be like that "previous normal" again.

Just glad I went to the liquor store for potentially the last time. I'm not sure when's the next time alcohol will make this somehow more bearable.

I miss when Trump was the biggest threat to mankind, now we got Trump, a pandemic, and a social order that will soon hang on very little.

Good luck everyone. :(

e: Meanwhile, there's still places in the USA where they wanna catch the neo-flu to own the libs. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Dont be so melodramatic dude

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

OMGVBFLOL posted:

you're thinking too small. we can also get massive unionization and the end of landlording too

Yeah dawg. I mean we are coming pretty close to the required level of effort, why not keep going?!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, its the same chloroquine study that a lot of people are unsure because they hosed around with removing patients from the trial while it was on-going, and some of authors have pretty credible allegations of academic fraud in their past. Oh, and one of the co-authors is the editor of the journal it was published in.

We're not gonna get any quality, peer reviewed research for some time, good science takes a while

Phew ok back to screamin’

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

really i think you're in for a bad time if you expect everything around you to stay the same all the time. everything changes, and these kind of historical changes don't just happen to other people. you just gotta be smart keep calm and get through it, at least you played all those games and watched those movies about poo poo like this

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
oh gently caress I die all the time in those video games and I fall asleep one quarter of the way into most movies

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Bronze Fonz is totally right, he's better at describing the current feeling that's going on but it's totally accurate.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah just don't get sucked into that feeling I guess, imagine you're the main character and not some random npc who dies and leaves behind a lovely diary and 2 nuka cola caps

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, its the same chloroquine study that a lot of people are unsure because they hosed around with removing patients from the trial while it was on-going, and some of authors have pretty credible allegations of academic fraud in their past. Oh, and one of the co-authors is the editor of the journal it was published in.

We're not gonna get any quality, peer reviewed research for some time, good science takes a while

It's the same group of authors (with all the associated problems it implies) but it's a different paper with a larger patient cohort. It doesn't have a control arm which makes evaluating their results difficult, mainly since the majority of COVID patients spontaneously recover anyway.

If the hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin combination works it won't have a dramatic effect. It'll be more like "reduces hospitalization length by X days on average" rather than "whoop whoop we've cured it!".

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

This is hell dimension so what we'll get are the land lords forming a union to derail rent controls and fair housing legislation all over the country. :911:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
the day before trump sent out his medical advice tweet about those drugs my co-worker told me about them. He heard from glen beck and I have since immediately discounted them as some sort of scam

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

OMGVBFLOL posted:

whoa the trump white house owns the WHO??

We won't get fooled again.

Nah, we totally will. People are scared panicky animals.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Colonel Cancer posted:

Permanent ban on all passenger air travel.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mox Hombre posted:

yeah just don't get sucked into that feeling I guess, imagine you're the main character and not some random npc who dies and leaves behind a lovely diary and 2 nuka cola caps

I knew being a solipsist would pay off one day

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Bronze Fonz is totally right, he's better at describing the current feeling that's going on but it's totally accurate.

Starting tomorrow where I live there will be police checkpoints to make sure you have essential reasons to get out of your loving home.
The island of Montreal will be locked in.

I saw the movie and thankfully canadian jet fighters are too broken down to missile the Jacques-Cartier bridge.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

Agree with this.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

Agree with this.

Let's form a committee

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

and automobiles except buses

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Rime posted:

This is fine and not at all indicative that the most dangerous authoritarian regime of our era has compromised a global agency and turned it into a propaganda vehicle. To believe otherwise would be wrongthink! :downs:

Do you have any loving clue of the broader context of all this? Are you being stupid or disingenuous?

The status of Taiwan/the Republic of China/Chinese Taipei (delete as appropriate) is one of the thorniest international diplomatic issues of the last 50 years. Let alone international organizations only 14 countries have full diplomatic relations with Taiwan (the US not being one of them).

They are not a member of the UN due to long standing Chinese pressure and vetos and the fallout of a huge fight between the ROC and PRC about who should hold the Security Council seat (which the PRC obviously won). Not being a member of the UN of course makes their relationship with the WHO complicated and various agreements have been set up to ensure international health issues and cooperation can be addressed.

Look, feel free to call out that Taiwan bloody obviously is an independent country and the general international order's caving in to Chinese demands is craven but don't single out the WHO for it.

Funny side wrinkle of all this diplomatic and historical dance, the ROC formally recognizes all member states except the PRC which it claims is illegitimate. Due to the wider interplay with other stuff the PRC is very sensitive about any hint from the ROC that it will change that stance and has in fact threatened the ROC when it hinted about changing that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
China will be fine assuming they've made sure to finally destroy the true culprit of this epidemic and every other problem - the common sparrow.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
you can own a pangolin in certain us states they are about 600 bucks, i think i know what i'm doing with my trump bux

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mnoba posted:

you can own a pangolin in certain us states they are about 600 bucks, i think i know what i'm doing with my trump bux

Launching them from a slingshot?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So is TrumpBux dependent on 2019 W-2 number?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Rolo posted:

Start calling them fedbux instead and watch him pitch a salty toddler fit

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Rolo posted:

If you filed already, yes

If you didnt, 2018

If you never filed, you no getta da money

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
My brother texted me to say my mom has had a 100 degree fever for 3 days, she managed to get tested because she's a nurse but the results won't be in for a week. I heard from my brother because she is the type to not tell us anything so we don't worry.
I called my grandmother begging her to take my brother or my dad up on their offers to go grocery shopping for her but she says "she needs to get out sometimes". Also she sent me a letter recently asking if I'm coming for Easter. I live in NYC and work in the subway system :doh: there's no way I haven't been exposed.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Munin posted:

Do you have any loving clue of the broader context of all this? Are you being stupid or disingenuous?

The status of Taiwan/the Republic of China/Chinese Taipei (delete as appropriate) is one of the thorniest international diplomatic issues of the last 50 years. Let alone international organizations only 14 countries have full diplomatic relations with Taiwan (the US not being one of them).

They are not a member of the UN due to long standing Chinese pressure and vetos and the fallout of a huge fight between the ROC and PRC about who should hold the Security Council seat (which the PRC obviously won). Not being a member of the UN of course makes their relationship with the WHO complicated and various agreements have been set up to ensure international health issues and cooperation can be addressed.

Look, feel free to call out that Taiwan bloody obviously is an independent country and the general international order's caving in to Chinese demands is craven but don't single out the WHO for it.

Funny side wrinkle of all this diplomatic and historical dance, the ROC formally recognizes all member states except the PRC which it claims is illegitimate. Due to the wider interplay with other stuff the PRC is very sensitive about any hint from the ROC that it will change that stance and has in fact threatened the ROC when it hinted about changing that.

I mean, yes, I fully understand the historical background behind it and how it has impacted both geopolitics and military tensions since the 1950's. The world should be actively working to de-legitimize and disconnect their economies from reliance on West Taiwan as fast as possible, given current events.

That being said, this was not the reaction of a savvy politician who is concerned about all of the above. That's a dude on payola who can't answer without pissing off his handlers.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Zugzwang posted:

Resident Evil 3 remake comes out in a week too. Just what I need to play now, a terrifying game set during a viral apocalypse.
Is this the consensus explanation on why the WHO has been so poo poo about this? Much of what they've been saying fails on first principles. Even if cloth masks are lovely and only work 20% as well as surgical/N95 masks (they work a lot better than 20% btw), that's not nothing when dealing with something this infectious.

The WHO is basically an arm of the CCP, has been for a while.

They rely on a large amount of their funding from China, China pulls a disproportionate amount of weight in the UN due to making "friends" of a lot of smaller nations that needed aid and were told that the price for that friendship was backing China in whatever it does whenever it does it, and they're convinced that China will withhold all the data on its population and the various health issues faced by them from the WHO if pressed, as if China wasn't already manipulating that information to suit its purposes, inherently tainting it.

There are also a fair number of rumors that WHO officials may be approaching IOC levels of corruption, in terms of "gifts" received for their diligence, ranging from luxurious trips to direct cash bribes. Of course, even if this wasn't true, the first paragraph up there still is, and it's apparently enough for them to throw any appearance of impartiality or professionalism to the wind.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Hell yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XEnTxlBuGo

Burns
May 10, 2008

Seems china's nimbers havnt moved in like a week which is odd to say the least.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Rime posted:

I mean, yes, I fully understand the historical background behind it and how it has impacted both geopolitics and military tensions since the 1950's. The world should be actively working to de-legitimize and disconnect their economies from reliance on West Taiwan as fast as possible, given current events.

That being said, this was not the reaction of a savvy politician who is concerned about all of the above. That's a dude on payola who can't answer without pissing off his handlers.

He isn't a politician though, savvy or otherwise? He is an employee of an international organization who totally mishandled the fielding of a gotcha question.

If you want to be pissed off at someone be pissed off a China and the host of governments (all major Western powers included) who are more than happy to let the situation slide because they don't see it in their benefit to stand with Taiwan over the matter.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1244030272921726977

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Burns posted:

Seems china's nimbers havnt moved in like a week which is odd to say the least.

Their overall numbers are probably cooked, but the fact that they are reopening cities and allowing people to move probably means they managed to get the situation stabilized... unless Xi is really, really dumb

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The WHO is basically an arm of the CCP, has been for a while.

They rely on a large amount of their funding from China, China pulls a disproportionate amount of weight in the UN due to making "friends" of a lot of smaller nations that needed aid and were told that the price for that friendship was backing China in whatever it does whenever it does it, and they're convinced that China will withhold all the data on its population and the various health issues faced by them from the WHO if pressed, as if China wasn't already manipulating that information to suit its purposes, inherently tainting it.

There are also a fair number of rumors that WHO officials may be approaching IOC levels of corruption, in terms of "gifts" received for their diligence, ranging from luxurious trips to direct cash bribes. Of course, even if this wasn't true, the first paragraph up there still is, and it's apparently enough for them to throw any appearance of impartiality or professionalism to the wind.

Have you got some more on that btw. All the recent articles about it seem to have been gripes about the WHO praising China for getting into a full lockdown relatively early and getting transmission under control. Also, a total misunderstanding of the criteria for calling something a pandemic (something which was in any case hampered by lovely testing globally).

In general I was reading a lot of butthurt about Western governments being called out for being slow and poo poo with their response while Asian countries were being praised.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Google Butt posted:

half whit halfwit

well I knew it was gonna be dumb, but...
yeah.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

steinrokkan posted:

Their overall numbers are probably cooked, but the fact that they are reopening cities and allowing people to move probably means they managed to get the situation stabilized... unless Xi is really, really dumb

It's an absolutely insane idea, but I'm actually starting to wonder if this is seen by Xi as the means of solving China's looming demographic cliff.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

The mortality rate for patients put in intensive care after being infected with Covid-19 is running at close to 50%, a report has revealed.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-intensive-care-uk-patients-50-per-cent-survival-rate

The article also mentions that being male and being fat are significant factors in ending up in intensive care with this virus, so something something goons, I guess!

i totally called this. the reason for the super deadly mortality rate in the western world is obesity

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

If you filed already, yes

If you didnt, 2018

If you never filed, you no getta da money

I heard they're still going to do something for those who didn't file. Luckily, I filed in 2018.

Also they'd do something for those on Social Security too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Rutibex posted:

i totally called this. the reason for the super deadly mortality rate in the western world is obesity

Do we know enough to say while likely, that could also be coincidence?