Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dooguk posted:

Has anyone asked the Citizens where they think the Vice President of MarketingPresident is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

LOL. I only mention her because they are trying to convince themselves the new investment money is for "marketing".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Popete posted:

uint46 wouldn't necessarily cause a compiler error, they could have defined their own data type. In fact I can almost guarantee they did because Chris demanded they use their own never done before data types that are super efficient.

Are you trying to tell us this nutball that is in charge of over $300M could declare a sq52int without consequence?

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Agony Aunt posted:

:ohdear: Why are they accepting investors? Isn't the money from the backers enough?

:reddit: It's earmarked for marketing specifically, because they don't think backer money should go to anything but actual development.

Oh look, the narrative is back to it being just for marketing.

Didn't take long for them to flip flop on that one.

But money going into high-end coffeemakers, space doors, Chris' mansion and lawyer fees is fine I guess.
Also, I like the language here. "they don't think backer money should go to anything but actual development"... sure. I doubt Chris and his entourage give a single gently caress about the development anymore. They knew for years now that this will lead to nothing substantial beyond a buggy tech demo.
What matters for them now is their exit strategy and how to leave this whole mess behind without loosing too much face, avoid visits from disgruntled backers or get sued by Calders. That's all that matters to them right now. "The development"... lol, give me a break. They let a few junior devs hack on their rotten codebase, this is not "development", this is occupational therapy.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Dooguk posted:

Has anyone asked the Citizens where they think the Vice President of Marketing is?

Strangely the disappearance of Sandi (and largely, Chris) doesn't concern the backers in the slightest. I'm pretty sure that in their heads they have this picture of Sandi working hard on new marketing strategies while Chris does a John Carmack, locking himself up in a hotel room to fix the physics.
The reality probably is that Sandi forgot about Star Citizen over talking with her new, rich friends at some dinner party while Chris snorts coke in his mansion, thinking about moon clothes.

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 28, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheAgent posted:

also I should distract myself as much as possible with star citizen things like a complete workup of issues with their funding tracker because I created a model for covid19 "worst case" in the US and its getting pretty accurate and that makes me loving weep. like literally weep. because the number at the end can't be loving real so I must have done something really really stupid like sum instead or add or whatever and I'll just go with that or maybe I am still really bad with sql and excel and poo poo, for I am a dumb

so star citizen numbers numbers which don't loving matter, I'll get on that. that will be good. lol chris roberts

please do literally anything else besides make up amateur spreadsheets that are apparently making you cry

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Fallom posted:

please do literally anything else besides make up amateur spreadsheets that are apparently making you cry

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
You heard em, time to go professional.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Nice middle ground of AA

not good enough to go pro, but egotistical enough to be upset if someone calls it a hobby

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I think it's good you have a hobby that is not buying internet spaceship jpegs.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Agony Aunt posted:

:ohdear: Why are they accepting investors? Isn't the money from the backers enough?

:reddit: It's earmarked for marketing specifically, because they don't think backer money should go to anything but actual development.

Oh look, the narrative is back to it being just for marketing.

Didn't take long for them to flip flop on that one.

So has anybody ever asked about the "marketing" CIG is doing? Like, does it take literal millions of dollars to get the hobo, an already paid employee, in front of a camera with other paid employees showing off "work" that is already towards the game for a YouTube video?

I don't even think paying for 6 months of Rexzilla would account for that kind of spending.

But sure. Marketing. :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

no free fly event. in fact, nothing really to note on releases besides a new palette swapped ship sale

3.9 doesn't really add much besides new interiors/broken rear end prison gameplay lol and they yanked that from the PTU (I believe the evocati have it sporadically)

I wanted to see if there was a spike the last few months to correlate with the near double funding amounts, and the "citizens per day" marker is as steady as ever. in fact, it's been rock steady since mid 2019, where I believe the numbers finally just went "lol gently caress it, whatever, here we made $12m this month lol!"

I'll probably do a bigger analysis on backer numbers at it relates to funding tracker dollars at some point, because lol its so outlandish. I work with companies that spend $300m to $500m a month and poo poo like SC would instantly stand out to me as a data problem.

really, for me, I should see some kind of hit thanks to economies crashing and people suddenly stuck at home. I was expecting the accounts to rise substantially over the last few days, which would explain new people stuck at home needing something new to play, and maybe an increase in spending to account for this. this, obviously, is not the case

anyway I should stop rambling and actually do a really deep dive into the funding tracker because at a glance I can 100% tell you something is very, very wrong with the numbers being reported there. there can always be reasons why the numbers are off, of course (like counting giveaway/gift ships as revenue, which has been claimed here) but without access to the pure, raw data I can't really say either way

If you're really bored and know how to do it there should be a good correlation just between new backers and new posts to their forum or whatever.

Those posts should always be increasing in line with the new backers.

But this would take care and effort neither of which I care about. :effort:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pilz posted:

I think this is a real possibility. How much time do major investors have to look into the nitty gritty of the project, and how many of them have the background in video games to tell them that what they see is abnormal?

None, and I doubt they'd care. The whole point of speculative investors like the Calders is they have more money that a normal human being can conceive of, so they just kind of fling it at anyone with a halfway credible business plan and hope to strike gold. This is how half of the gigantic tech startup catastrophes get going. Chris, in this regard, looks far more like a safe bet than most of these tech companies- he has a fan base and an income stream and hundreds of employees and a history of released games. He also has trouble in his recent past, which means investment in his company is going for cheap. It's a perfect deal as far as the Calders are concerned. Remember, Clive Calder is worth 5.2 Billion. 50m to him is probably the equivalent, in dollar terms to us, of 1% of whatever is in the bank account at this moment.

It's literally chump change

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: /r/Games: Cloud Imperium Raises Additional $17.25M Investment from Existing Investors

:allears: Good to know even in these terrible times, Star Citizen has somehow found another 18 million dollars to prop itself up.

:3: it’s good to see indie games like this succeed, now the game has a modest budget of ~300M usd. It’s impressive what some devs can do with such a small budget

:holy: this is so inspiring. gonna go mortgage my house right now to preorder another $10,000 virtual spaceship. i know that's not much for a struggling dev like them but it will be worth it someday!

:monocle: I'll buy two, God knows they need it more than I do! 😊

:colbert: I too think its sustainable to have half a dozen studios working for a dozen years on a project that by release everyone who is interested in it will have bought in already or seen it for the whale simulator it is.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

None, and I doubt they'd care. The whole point of speculative investors like the Calders is they have more money that a normal human being can conceive of, so they just kind of fling it at anyone with a halfway credible business plan and hope to strike gold. This is how half of the gigantic tech startup catastrophes get going. Chris, in this regard, looks far more like a safe bet than most of these tech companies- he has a fan base and an income stream and hundreds of employees and a history of released games. He also has trouble in his recent past, which means investment in his company is going for cheap. It's a perfect deal as far as the Calders are concerned. Remember, Clive Calder is worth 5.2 Billion. 50m to him is probably the equivalent, in dollar terms to us, of 1% of whatever is in the bank account at this moment.

It's literally chump change

0.96% to be more accurate. Someone should send him some Miku style "just keep spending" tweets.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Quavers posted:

:reddit: /r/Games: Cloud Imperium Raises Additional $17.25M Investment from Existing Investors

:allears: Good to know even in these terrible times, Star Citizen has somehow found another 18 million dollars to prop itself up.

:3: it’s good to see indie games like this succeed, now the game has a modest budget of ~300M usd. It’s impressive what some devs can do with such a small budget

:holy: this is so inspiring. gonna go mortgage my house right now to preorder another $10,000 virtual spaceship. i know that's not much for a struggling dev like them but it will be worth it someday!

:monocle: I'll buy two, God knows they need it more than I do! 😊

:colbert: I too think its sustainable to have half a dozen studios working for a dozen years on a project that by release everyone who is interested in it will have bought in already or seen it for the whale simulator it is.

Dang, that is some negative and sarcastic comments. FUDrians everywhere!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: 465,248,161,583 aUEC earned from 2,005,216 missions completed. That's 232,019 aUEC per mission. wot

:trustme: Great catch. I looked into this and we had an error in our reporting. It should actually be 10,145,404,211 total aUEC earned. We'll update the number on Monday and double check for any other errors. Thanks all!

:lol::lol:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Star Citizen: we're further away from Answer The Call 2016 than Answer The Call 2016 was from the Kickstarter

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
why bother running the numbers when they are all just made up anyway lol

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

You can run all the numbers your like the answer will still be Chris Roberts.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:trustme: Average Unique Users Completing Missions Per Day = 9,924

:laffo::laffo:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Quavers posted:

:reddit: 465,248,161,583 aUEC earned from 2,005,216 missions completed. That's 232,019 aUEC per mission. wot

:trustme: Great catch. I looked into this and we had an error in our reporting. It should actually be 10,145,404,211 total aUEC earned. We'll update the number on Monday and double check for any other errors. Thanks all!

:lol::lol:

That is just hilarious. You give CIG one loving job...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

holy fuckkkk why would they share that lmao

Basically everything is a mission in Star Citizen, so with a little wiggle room for the guys like me who just log in, fly to a place, get bored, and go play a real game, that's gotta be preeeeetty close to their daily playercount lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

also lmboing at about half of the missions going uncompleted for any given quest giver.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quavers posted:

Heyy, that's solid numbers.

Not quite the same, but elite's daily peak is about 10k
https://steamcharts.com/app/359320

Ofc, assuming their self reporting is accurate.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Armitag3 posted:

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a ship's worth; mechanics are going bust; bartends keep a turtle under the counter; commanders are running wild in the street, and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it.

We know the oxygen is unfit to breathe and our nutri-protein is unfit to eat. And we sit watching our roadmaps while some local junior dev tells us that today we had fifteen bugs and sixty-three delays, as if that's the way it's supposed to be!

We all know things are bad -- worse than bad -- they're crazy.

It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out any more. We sit in the subreddit, and slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, "Please, at least leave us alone in our cockpits. Let me have my floating datapad and my spaceship jpgs and my steel-belted prison systems, and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone."

Well, I'm not going to leave you alone.

I want you to get mad!

I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot. I don't want you to write to your CIG rep, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the corona and the inflation and the Goons and the lying in the books.

All I know is that first, you've got to get mad.

You've gotta say, "I'm a backer, goddammit! My dreams have value!"

Perturbator uses that sample at the beginning of their I Am The Night album, it's pretty sweet

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Quavers posted:

Xakura posted:

:lol:

Unique users per day is different to concurrent users per hour

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Lord Stimperor posted:

Perturbator uses that sample at the beginning of their I Am The Night album, it's pretty sweet

Talking of musicians and Star Citizens space denizens... real life astrophysicist and curly coiffed Queen guitarist does his bit for the self isolators.

https://www.space.com/brian-may-teaches-you-how-to-play-the-bohemian-rhapsody-solo-while-in-self-isolation.html

I'm not a fan of Queen particularly, but I've got to say, I do like Brian May, because SCIENCE obviously.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quavers posted:

I am aware, but that is the only Elite numbers I have.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

Ah! But SC is still alpha!

Once CR flips the switch and the piplines get that content in, then it will have more players than any other AAA game out there!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Xakura posted:

I am aware, but that is the only Elite numbers I have.

If you want to compare Star Citizen player numbers to other games directly, it gets 1300 players per hour. CIG accidentally published that stat before CitizenCon :laffo:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Quavers posted:

If you want to compare Star Citizen player numbers to other games directly, it gets 1300 players per hour. CIG accidentally published that stat before CitizenCon :laffo:

So about 9 games of CoD:Warzone.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I love these stats. :allears:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
For comparison a game I'm currently playing Naval Action gets ~1500 concurrent users and is a niche game with ~200,000 sales over it's almost 5 year development time.

SC has supposedly millions of players and is pulling in only 1300 concurrent. That's pitiful.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quavers posted:

Noice

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Quavers posted:

Wow, that's abysmal. I've seen private World of Warcraft servers more popular than that.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

The stats aren't all bad. See mining:

33 players per hour doing the only functional mechanic is good, right?

:suicide:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Xakura posted:

I wonder what the % of ED players who use Steam is?

I've never connected the two, I use FDEV's launcher.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

The cognitive dissonance you are currently experiencing is the result of the thread echo-chambering "two months tops, investors surely going to pull out any day now" to itself for the last 6 months.

I repeat: corporate decision making is far stupider than you can possibly conceive. They aren't going to pull out yet, they are making good money off of the sales that Chris tells his fans are still the main source of income for the project, and none of them, fans or investors are tech savvy enough to grasp that the game itself will never come out. They think they'll keep making a steady stream now and a big chunk when it releases.

Who said they were going to pull out? Not easily done when they’re not publicly traded and can’t just dump shares even if they wanted to.

The assertion (mine, Havs, a few others at least) has been that despite holding a small percentage, the Calders negotiated meaningful controls. That such controls would allow them to impose organizational changes over CIG. Over Chris. That Chris might have far less control than he did prior to their investment, regardless of being still the spokesman / founder / head, particularly if internal milestones have been missed.

Also suggested - that a party to be named later might have been tasked to take over Squadron and push a minimum viable version out.

I still believe both these things.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Who said they were going to pull out? Not easily done when they’re not publicly traded and can’t just dump shares even if they wanted to.

The assertion (mine, Havs, a few others at least) has been that despite holding a small percentage, the Calders negotiated meaningful controls. That such controls would allow them to impose organizational changes over CIG. Over Chris. That Chris might have far less control than he did prior to their investment, regardless of being still the spokesman / founder / head, particularly if internal milestones have been missed.

Also suggested - that a party to be named later might have been tasked to take over Squadron and push a minimum viable version out.

I still believe both these things.

The easiest thing to do would probably be to poo poo out a rail shooter in a completely different engine, using mostly prerendered assets I suppose? Story as autoscrolling text on screen between missions? 1.5 whole hours of gameplay!