Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Does that really surprise anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Not defending him, I am lacking all the information and want to understand the complaint. What was the correct course of action? What is he meant to do if the government shuts down his restaurants and has given workers special unemployment benefits due to the planetary crisis?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Offer to pay them out of his own pocket because he's Gordon loving Ramsay.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I mean the CEO of Texas Roadhouse is getting good publicity here, despite almost certainly also being a piece of poo poo.

And running Texas Roadhouse.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tilman Ferttita of Landry's Corp furloughed 40,000 people from his 600 units this week. His net worth is approx. 4 billion. I have no idea if he's trying to offer them any additional compensation (it wasn't mentioned), but holy poo poo.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

droll posted:

Not defending him, I am lacking all the information and want to understand the complaint. What was the correct course of action? What is he meant to do if the government shuts down his restaurants and has given workers special unemployment benefits due to the planetary crisis?

He's an actual millionaire. He could pay everyone in every place he owns out of pocket and still be fine

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Field Mousepad posted:

He's an actual millionaire. He could pay everyone in every place he owns out of pocket and still be fine

Yeah, the tweet I posted says he's worth 140 million pounds, 10% of that, 14 million, is enough to give each of the 500 people he fired 28,000 pounds.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Thomas Keller joins list of chefs suing their insurance companies for denying claims

quote:

Chef Thomas Keller has joined the ranks of a small but growing number of restaurateurs who are suing their insurance companies over claims related to the Covid-19 pandemic, his restaurant group said Thursday.

Keller’s attorney, John Houghtaling, on Wednesday evening filed in the Superior Court of California County of Napa for a declaratory judgment on behalf of Keller’s business interruption insurance policy against Hartford Fire Insurance Company.

Keller, based in the Napa town of Yountville, is chef and owner of The French Laundry, Per Se, Bouchon, Bouchon Bakery and Ad Hoc + Addendum.

Houghtaling is the majority partner in New Orleans based law firm Gauthier Murphy & Houghtaling LLC. He was selected by Louisiana’s attorney general to determine policyholder rights in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. He also represented many victims of superstorm Sandy.

The lawsuit requests that the court make a legally binding decision on whether Keller’s policy with Hartford allows him to recover business losses incurred in connection with the viral outbreak

In a release issued by the Thomas Keller Restaurant Group, Houghtaling indicated that Keller’s business interruption claim was denied because Hartford said there were no dangerous conditions at the chef’s restaurants.

“To avoid payments for a civil authority shut down the insurance industry is pushing out deceptive propaganda that the virus does not cause a dangerous condition to property,” Houghtaling said. “This is a lie, it's untrue factually and legally. The insurance industry is pushing this out to governments and to their agents to deceive policyholders about the coverage they owe."

Keller highlighted the importance of restaurants to the American economy.

“The restaurant industry is the largest private sector employer in America — it’s a chosen profession employing more than 15.6 million Americans and contributes $1 trillion to the economy,” he said. “This entire sector is crippled by a nationwide public health shutdown impacting countless livelihoods. We need insurance companies to do the right thing and save millions of jobs.”

Most jurisdictions across the country, including the states of California, Nevada and New York, where most of Keller’s restaurants are, have ordered restaurants to close their dining rooms. Although some restaurants have shifted their operations to takeout and delivery, many have found that shift to be financially unworkable. Others have closed their restaurants completely for fear of endangering their employees in the face of the pandemic.

In an email anticipating conflict between restaurateurs and insurance companies, attorney Brian Mahany, whose practice includes litigation against insurance companies and lenders, said insurance companies engage in many delaying tactics when faced with a large number of claims.

“We can assume insurers will act, as they always do, by using their deny-and-delay bullying tactics with small businesses teetering on the edge of survival,” he said in an email. “Most just give up and go away. Insurance companies count on that and try a lowball settlement on the rest.”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

If you were looking for a group I have even less sympathy for than restaurant owners, congratulations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Restaurant owners vs. Landlords

Battle to the death?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Skwirl posted:

If you were looking for a group I have even less sympathy for than restaurant owners, congratulations.

You needn’t feel for Aloysius here, if he wins any kind of judgement, it opens doors for say, your neighborhood bar or ramen-ya to do the same.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Shooting Blanks posted:

Restaurant owners vs. Landlords

Battle to the death?

No matter who wins, we all win.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yes, food that is plated with tweezers. Typically Michelin star and aspiring, often pretentious (which doesn't neccesarily mean bad).

Example:

When you smear the sauce across the plate, a fairy loses its wings.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When you smear the sauce across the plate, a fairy loses its wings.

gently caress you I like smears

That three dot O o . poo poo can go die in a fire though.

edit: I'm heading out to drop off extra food for friends that got ghosted on their grocery delivery for the week, and then I'm going to try(!) to find some loving TP on my way home. Wish me luck goons.

ps why the gently caress are people still buying massive quantities of toilet paper in north america, holy gently caress

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Good luck!

I hate smears because it makes a nasty noise when you try to scrape them off with your fork/spoon.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Good luck!

I hate smears because it makes a nasty noise when you try to scrape them off with your fork/spoon.

How does that have anything to do with smearing? Sauce on a plate in any form is going to do that.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Just LOL if you actually eat the sauce like some hungry pleb. You're supposed to just look at it, take pictures for your instagram followers, then complain that it's wrong and ask for it to be comped.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

Just LOL if you actually eat the sauce like some hungry pleb. You're supposed to just look at it, take pictures for your instagram followers, then complain that it's wrong and ask for it to be comped.

The real pros have it arranged to be comped before they even sit down.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The Maestro posted:

The real pros have it arranged to be comped before they even sit down.

The real pros ask if they can have a different color sauce because it makes the photo look better.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

The real pros ask if they can have a different color sauce because it makes the photo look better.

The REAL pros ask for it without sauce so they can write a review saying the chef forgot the sauce

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
'I have a severe allergy to oil-based liquids, so I asked to forgo the sauce. Veal was dry. Manager refused to discount the food AND drinks. 2 stars. Might return if the server is fired and I am offered a discount.'

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Smear is the least appetizing food word

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

maybe, but "schmaltz" exists already.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FFT posted:

maybe, but "schmaltz" exists already.

fair point but nobody really gets into talking about it as a course component

i don't have anything better. chocolate smudge? custard smatter? raspberry wipe?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Schmear isn't working for anybody ?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Schmear is what you put on a bagel.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

With more restaurants around us closed, some of our customers are getting an edge of desperation. I wonder how much is because people don't know how to cook and this food we're selling them is their one big meal of the day.

E: I can't help but wonder if we should close when I hear people are driving 30-40 minutes out of their way to order from us.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 29, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sextro posted:

With more restaurants around us closed, some of our customers are getting an edge of desperation. I wonder how much is because people don't know how to cook and this food we're selling them is their one big meal of the day.

E: I can't help but wonder if we should close when I hear people are driving 30-40 minutes out of their way to order from us.

I think ignorance is part of it but some people just find cooking really stressful. I can also imagine that takeout is a comforting luxury for some. Not that you shouldn’t close if you think it’s the right thing to do, mind you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sextro posted:

There are a lot of otherwise functional 'adults' who just never learned how. Just like mending, or basic cleaning.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

mediaphage posted:

I think ignorance is part of it but some people just find cooking really stressful. I can also imagine that takeout is a comforting luxury for some. Not that you shouldn’t close if you think it’s the right thing to do, mind you.

Not my decision, but we've a certain amount of fame despite being a new shop so we're still getting people driving in from other counties/the suburbs because "I saw it on instagram and had to try some" even in the middle of a stay-in-place order. Which is dumb and it feels weird to be the reason people break quarantine so badly :v:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mllaneza posted:

i didn't know precisely how to spell it or that's what i would have gone with

Hauki
May 11, 2010

A few restaurants around town are starting to sell prepared or cook at home foods, condiments and basic ingredients on top of supporting a to-go menu - I think it’s a neat idea for bringing in extra income/redistributing food since groceries are still getting slammed here

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

mediaphage posted:

fair point but nobody really gets into talking about it as a course component

i don't have anything better. chocolate smudge? custard smatter? raspberry wipe?

"swathe" or "swipe"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Swoop

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
since everything is to-go now i havent even thought abt plating in like 2 weeks

now i spend that energy drawing cute poo poo on to-go boxes

the word my boss uses for plated sauces is appx "zhuzh"

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So my boss is trying to figure out how to keep as many people on payroll as he can while still having us claim few enough hours that we can collect unemployment. There was a weird plotting session about it trying to figure out how we were going to work tip claiming and whether it might be best to have the (possibly illegal) waitress claim them all (since she won't be going for unemployment?) and have everyone tip her out to cover the tax hit. Might work?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The bill that just went through has a tax credit incentive for keeping staff on equal to 50% their salary, may want to look into that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So my boss is trying to figure out how to keep as many people on payroll as he can while still having us claim few enough hours that we can collect unemployment. There was a weird plotting session about it trying to figure out how we were going to work tip claiming and whether it might be best to have the (possibly illegal) waitress claim them all (since she won't be going for unemployment?) and have everyone tip her out to cover the tax hit. Might work?

How good is whoever controls finances at cooking the books?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I love that Keller hired loving John Houghtaling of all people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

mandatory lesbian posted:

How good is whoever controls finances at cooking the books?

Either very good or very bad. The IRS apparently decided a few years ago that we were hiding cash because we use hand written tickets. That investigation led nowhere, and they've been kicking the can down the road trying to wear him down with legal fees for.........4-5 years now? They don't really have a case but its just getting so expensive in addition to the 4-5 hour drive to the state capital for court that he's thinking about just settling. Fun story about that, the checks we use for tickets are the perfect weight of paper for making origami frogs, which if someone brings in a kid I'll often make for them. So one of the lines of accusation involved us not having every single ticket in sequential order (thus we must be hiding checks) and the origami frogs were brought up and I had to make one for his accountant to show the auditor who in turn wanted to keep it, and the accountant refused purely out of spite. It now lives on his desk.