Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Someone told me the NHS opening time for my local Asda was 7:30, so here I am, sat in the car park, waiting for 9 when it actually opens. :suicide:

There is no British Rail Class 258.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Ash Crimson posted:

People, look after yourselves whilst you can, I have a horrible feelings things are going to get pretty crazy in terms of the public response to continued self isolation, lockdown and the government's response

If that means preemptively raiding and looting your neighbours homes for tools, food and supplies so be it, make sure you've got a decent bit of wood or maybe a bat to defend yourself against the raiders, seen a couple of them skulking around recently, got me nervous got me hosed up

If you're planning on looting the neighbours its you. You are "the raider" who is potentially threatening the safety of the community. Hope this helps!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's probably some evil english people coming to take ash's proud scottish toilet roll.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Pro-tip: avoid getting raided for supplies by living in a poo poo area so everyone assumes you don't have thos beans

Spring still exists and I bring you proof-

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah it's been so warm and spring like the last few days. Every one queueing to get in the super market looked pretty happy. Freezing this morning though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I really can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else but I'm really coming round to the theory that Johnson and Hancock don't actually have CV and are going to triumphantly return this week saying "See! It's just the sniffles! Everyone back to work!"

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Any idea when in the day Tesco opens up the next days deliveries? It was up to the 17th last night, this morning it now lets you book up to the 18th, but no slots available.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

DesperateDan posted:

Pro-tip: avoid getting raided for supplies by living in a poo poo area so everyone assumes you don't have thos beans

Spring still exists and I bring you proof-

I like bee butts and I cannot lie. Looking great over your way. What is the terracotta pipe?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I really can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else but I'm really coming round to the theory that Johnson and Hancock don't actually have CV and are going to triumphantly return this week saying "See! It's just the sniffles! Everyone back to work!"

Yeah my first thought after reading the news was that coronavirus would be nothing compared to the repeated industrial-grade hangovers de Pfeffel has survived over the years. It'll struggle to survive in a bloodstream with a permanent ABV, and after a week he'll declare that it's "just a flu after all" and push the button to restart the economy while his chums all invest in bodybag production.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I would believe that if the theory was that Cummings secretly got himself infected to infect those two early enough in the new cycle, with the idea that if they got really sick the public would still be sympathetic

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

StarkingBarfish posted:

I like bee butts and I cannot lie. Looking great over your way. What is the terracotta pipe?

Banana banana terracotta pipe.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Mega Comrade posted:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1243823098962620417

Man this country never ceases to amaze me in the worst ways possible.

A friend once described this as "the West Wing effect". People's concept of the ideal president is a Republican with Democrat policies. I think we're seeing the same here. Voters want a Tory leader who does Labour stuff.

Babies have been delivered and raised through every war and plague outbreak our species has endured. This is going to be a tough few months, but it's not the End of Days. It's not The Road.
Keep trying and good luck.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pistol_Pete posted:

In these trying times, it's good to see that the Guardian's got it's priorities straight:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/28/yes-jeremy-corbyn-is-still-here-and-hes-still-right-about-everything

That's right, it's an 'I hate Jeremy Corbyn' article!

The article also finds time for a bizarrely pointless attack on Kim Kardashian and a final whine about how perhaps now people will finally understand how difficult and taxing working from home all the time is (as the author obviously does). Great stuff Guardian, really took my mind off the coronavirus :cheers:

This writer has a bad cough, they should really self isolate from their keyboard for... well, ever.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endjinneer posted:

Babies have been delivered and raised through every war and plague outbreak our species has endured. This is going to be a tough few months, but it's not the End of Days. It's not The Road.
Keep trying and good luck.

Thanks man.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Top quality question from Andrew marr this morning, asking the Labour shadow health secretary if he would raise national insurance (double it, in fact) after the crisis. It was quite funny because Johnathan Ashworth started blinking like crazy, keeping the scream in

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

It's not for everyone but have you considered adopting?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Pistol_Pete posted:

In these trying times, it's good to see that the Guardian's got it's priorities straight:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/28/yes-jeremy-corbyn-is-still-here-and-hes-still-right-about-everything

That's right, it's an 'I hate Jeremy Corbyn' article!

The article also finds time for a bizarrely pointless attack on Kim Kardashian and a final whine about how perhaps now people will finally understand how difficult and taxing working from home all the time is (as the author obviously does). Great stuff Guardian, really took my mind off the coronavirus :cheers:
Oh god, I was sure that was Marina Hyde from the writing style but it’s someone new. They’re multiplying.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mega Comrade posted:

Man this country never ceases to amaze me in the worst ways possible

I can't wait for this crisis to be over so I can go back to giving up on and not giving a poo poo about this idiot loving spiteful dipshit moron country

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jippa posted:

Clocks going forward always tricks me.

One benefit of the pandemic: it saved me a day off. I always take the Monday after the clock change off so I can realign my sleep and insulin schedule. But tomorrow I'll be crawling out of bed at 8.30, turning on my work PC and clocking in before I grab my breakfast.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1244186031752175616?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Admitting I'm an idiot to own the lefties

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It is currently snowing in London.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the Corbyn bit was extremely terribly bad but the self pitying bit about how much of a martyr she is for working from home is absolutely loving ridiculous

quote:

It’s not just about typing in your pyjamas (though obviously that’s a major perk). As all we seasoned home-workers know, the needs of the house, and its occupants, tend to seep osmosis-style into your personal workspace. Show me the child who cares one jot about your deadlines. Feel the deepening rage when somebody wonders if you could just pop some washing on if you “get a mo”. And so on. Every minute of every hour of every day. For ever.
oh really, you get an opportunity to do housework and see your kids during the daytime? that sounds so much worse than having to commute to work, do work, commute home and then maybe see your kids for an hour in the evening if at all and you also still have to do all the house work

and I'm sure none of those loving slackers who work in an office have ever had to deal with someone interrupting their work to ask them to do something, except its some annoying oval office who wants you to do something difficult for them (that's probably their job anyway) and won't stop bothering you until you do it, instead of your husband/wife asking you if you could do a 2 minute task when you get the chance.

That would never happen. Every minute of every hour of every day. For ever.

at least the guardian being loving smug shite is an unchanging constant in our topsy turvy world

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oh god Rachel reeves is rumoured to be starmers choice for shadow chancellor

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jose posted:

Oh god Rachel reeves is rumoured to be starmers choice for shadow chancellor
lmaoing forever if so, say goodbye to left influence in Labour, and mask off rancid Labour right here we come

"We are not the party of people on benefits. We don’t want to be seen, and we're not, the party to represent those who are out of work," she said. "Labour are a party of working people, formed for and by working people."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who could possibly be a better choice when half the country ends up unemployed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Finger hovering over the 'cancel membership' button

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I just rewatched the thick of it and personally I'm excited to return to labour policy being a bad photocopy of the Tory manifesto, maybe even back a government policy that turns out to be too nasty even for them

it'll be like 2012 all over again :swoon:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That doesn't make them go away, unfortunately.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

That doesn't make them go away, unfortunately.

Nothing will

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Man this country never ceases to amaze me in the worst ways possible.

It's probable that those polls are weighted by likelihood of voting and the question was the usual "If there was a General Election tomorrow..." The only people who would tick "Certain to vote" in those circumstances are the same Tory-voting pensioners who are wandering the streets because they've had a good life.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1244209266866761733?s=19

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jose should have been taken by that hurricane. Now we live in the Final Destination timeline where Death is coming up with increasingly contrived methods to finally get him.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

StarkingBarfish posted:

It was found near a badger/fox set (they share) and I'm assuming they unearthed it a few years back going by the moss growth

There's been a few settlements on or near the farm since roman times so it could be very old or just a few hundred years

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Necrothatcher posted:

It is currently snowing in London.

Same in York. It was sunny five minutes ago.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

yep, that's the plan

https://mobile.twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1244017642601619459

given that poll showing their support increasing and how they've successfully memory holed their "just let it kill everyone" plan within two weeks, it will probably work

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lungboy posted:

It's not for everyone but have you considered adopting?

It is something have thought about. But we would prefer to have biological children of our own.
It’s something we know we can do, and there is something magical about seeing a child and seeing a younger version of yourself or your partner.

As for adoption, two of my cousins are adopted. And I know how difficult it is to do that. If we had no other choice we might go back to, but we don’t want to give up on the idea of having kid or kids biologically.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

XMNN posted:

yep, that's the plan

https://mobile.twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1244017642601619459

given that poll showing their support increasing and how they've successfully memory holed their "just let it kill everyone" plan within two weeks, it will probably work

Definitely, yeah. 'It's a foreigner's fault' is the skeleton key to the mind of the british bog ape

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Josef bugman posted:

Paying your workers more doesn't seem to be on the cards for these utterly dumb as gently caress shitheads, does it?

Isn't that just capitalism.txt though? I thought they were price-takers and the supermarkets dictate the price at which they will buy.

Barry Foster posted:

Finger hovering over the 'cancel membership' button

Don't do this. If we all leave, the party will be irrecoverable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

The Question IRL posted:

there is something magical about seeing a child and seeing a younger version of yourself or your partner.

It isn't magic.