Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit if I saw a younger version of me I'd just be like "you poor bastard"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jose posted:

Oh god Rachel reeves is rumoured to be starmers choice for shadow chancellor

Can't wait for Labour to run on a platform of sensible austerity against the Tories promising to continue spending money on everything apart from the Chinese and travellers and Muslims who are being put in quarantine camps

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

DesperateDan posted:

Pro-tip: avoid getting raided for supplies by living in a poo poo area so everyone assumes you don't have thos beans

Spring still exists and I bring you proof-

Thanks Dan and the person posting birbs!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kitties! :3:

edit: gently caress

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The Question IRL posted:

It is something have thought about. But we would prefer to have biological children of our own.
It’s something we know we can do, and there is something magical about seeing a child and seeing a younger version of yourself or your partner.

As for adoption, two of my cousins are adopted. And I know how difficult it is to do that. If we had no other choice we might go back to, but we don’t want to give up on the idea of having kid or kids biologically.

Good luck with it, especially as you were trying anyway. Sure, the hospitals might be a wee bit full in the future, but chances are this is going to last another 18 months or so anyway. Every single one of our ancestors has had to deal with famine, war, slavery, poverty, the bubonic plague, the Spanish flu and so on. Even before that, as apes, tree rats, lizards, fish; we're just another link in the chain. To cease wanting to carry on that lineage just because some drunk posh oval office misread a spreadsheet seems to go against the millenia of suffering everything else endured to get you here.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lungboy posted:

It's not for everyone but have you considered adopting?

Please don't say this. As someone who was approved as an adopter about 16 years ago, it is NOT an easy process and you are totally abused by the care system. I still get very upset over the deeds of the social services. I did a post about some time ago.
I ended up not adopting because I could not go through the emotional wringer like that again.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
what's the point of this letter anyway? have toilet paper shortages got that bad already?

I already read it and the headline of "this will get worse before it gets better" is the entirety of the message about how much worse it's going to get, there is no "levelling" about the likely length of the intervention and no indication of the sort of consequences we should be bracing ourselves for

also it says the government has one simple rule, "you must stay home" and then goes on to repeat the list of exceptions to that one simple rule, including the bit about how you "should" work from home "if you can"

basically it's not worth the paper it's printed on (apparently it cost £5 million)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

I admit if I saw a younger version of me I'd just be like "you poor bastard"

Night Watch posted:

You're not me, he thought. I don't think I was ever as young as you. If you're going to be me, it's going to take a lot of work. Thirty drat years of being hammered on the anvil of life, you poor bastard. You've got it all to come.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Please don't say this. As someone who was approved as an adopter about 16 years ago, it is NOT an easy process and you are totally abused by the care system. I still get very upset over the deeds of the social services. I did a post about some time ago.
I ended up not adopting because I could not go through the emotional wringer like that again.

So nobody should adopt?

Not a lovely sass, I'm genuinely interested in the alternatives though. My wife and I can't have kids and we've thought about it a couple of times.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

History Comes Inside! posted:

So nobody should adopt?

Not a lovely sass, I'm genuinely interested in the alternatives though. My wife and I can't have kids and we've thought about it a couple of times.

Adopting should not be seen as simply a backup plan for having a kid. It should be something you specifically want to do, because it comes with its own long list of challenges.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

XMNN posted:

what's the point of this letter anyway? have toilet paper shortages got that bad already?

I already read it and the headline of "this will get worse before it gets better" is the entirety of the message about how much worse it's going to get, there is no "levelling" about the likely length of the intervention and no indication of the sort of consequences we should be bracing ourselves for

also it says the government has one simple rule, "you must stay home" and then goes on to repeat the list of exceptions to that one simple rule, including the bit about how you "should" work from home "if you can"

basically it's not worth the paper it's printed on (apparently it cost £5 million)

If this is true then I think it's perfectly fine to say you hope all tories drown in their own lung goo.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
As people seem to appreciate cute pictures during these tough times, here are some pictures of my guinea pigs

The little one is called Winifred and the brown one is Norman Stanley Fletcher, I hope they bring some small joy to you all.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 29, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Prince John posted:

Don't do this. If we all leave, the party will be irrecoverable.

Tell me how it isn't, though?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mega Comrade posted:

As people seem to appreciate cute pictures during these tough times, here are some pictures of my guinea pigs

The little one is called Winifred and the brown one is Norman Stanley Fletcher, I hope they bring some small joy to you all.

Those are some great Guinea Pigs. I love those names too.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Dell_Zincht posted:

If this is true then I think it's perfectly fine to say you hope all tories drown in their own lung goo.

it was a number quoted in a couple of tweets but I haven't seen a source for it

if they send thirty million of them though, that's only 16 p a letter so it doesn't seem implausible

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Mega Comrade posted:

Holy poo poo those are the cutest things ever.

In other news, this Billy Joe Saunders seems like a nice chap.

quote:

Saunders filmed himself hitting a punchbag while appearing to show men how to hit their partners should they get into an argument during the lockdown.

The footage obtained by Mirror Fighting, which has circulated on WhatsApp, shows the super-middleweight world champion with a punch bag in his barn after a training session.

He proceeds to advise men what to do physically if they get into an argument.

Saunders also provides commentary, saying: "I just wanted to make a little video for all you dads, husbands, if you've got girlfriends etc.

"Obviously this Covid-19 is getting very serious and we are isolated away in right spaces.

"If your old woman is giving you mouth and you try to be patient, you try to be calm, cool, but after the sixth day you're just about to explode.

"All of a sudden she's coming at you, spitting a bit of venom in your face, ready to say something, you may have left the dishes out, I don't know what you've done but you've upset her."

He then goes into specific detail what men should physically do - which the Mirror has decided not to publish.

Trigger warning for domestic violence I guess.

The Sun has the video and the rest of the transcript, as he demos it on the punching bag.

"As she comes in, she's coming at you and you've lost it, just keep it safe with the hands. So as she comes in, she's just about to say something, all of a sudden you explode and hit her on the chin.

"At this time she may flash and see white and think, 'What's happened?', she's in a state of a horror.

"She doesn't know what's going on and all of a sudden you dip down on that knee and you finish her off. That should do the trick."

Apparently it's all just a lark and he doesn't condone domestic violence however.

Eugh: he seems like a real piece of work.

quote:

Saunders recently had his trainer Ben Davison and stable-mate Josh Taylor kicked off a plane after calling Delta Airlines with a coronavirus warning.

An audio clip surfaced which appeared to reveal him laughing as he recalled ringing Delta Airlines to tell them a friend of his had COVID-19 and was preparing to board the flight.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/NeonManedWolf/status/1244056789181779970?s=09

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

lol they're trying to memory hole the Government's plan to do nothing and let everyone get sick so badly. It'd be funny if it wasn't going to work.

Jose posted:

It sucks that the Labour after Corbyn is going to be just as poo poo as the Labour before Corbyn. Wish he'd just deselected all these swine.

But at least I can go back to hating the English and proposing rebuilding Hadrian's wall and electrifying it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

If the membership just give up and vote for Starmer then they are loving idiots. How do they just give up? Cunts. Potentially.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The state of that spread

https://twitter.com/DerWestResponse/status/1244060249402806277?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

Every single one of our ancestors has had to deal with famine, war, slavery, poverty, the bubonic plague, the Spanish flu and so on. Even before that, as apes, tree rats, lizards, fish; we're just another link in the chain. To cease wanting to carry on that lineage just because some drunk posh oval office misread a spreadsheet seems to go against the millenia of suffering everything else endured to get you here.
That sounds a lot like the "we have to keep sending lads to die in the trenches otherwise we dishonour the memory of the lads we sent to die in the trenches" argument. The suffering of existence is what has prompted philosophers and scholars going back to antiquity to advise against it. Most of them didn't leave a genetic lineage of course, but they did leave their thoughts so that we can learn from them. It's even in the Bible (not that most Christians read that bit. The Catholic clergy evidently have though, which is why most of them opt out while encouraging their flocks to participate as much as possible). That's the main reason why I'm personally against sending any more to the front.

Prince John posted:

Trigger warning for domestic violence I guess.
The existence of cunts like him are another reason, I have no desire for any children of mine to share a planet with people like that.

Mega Comrade posted:

Guinea pigs are good tho.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

That sounds a lot like the "we have to keep sending lads to die in the trenches otherwise we dishonour the memory of the lads we sent to die in the trenches" argument. The suffering of existence is what has prompted philosophers and scholars going back to antiquity to advise against it. Most of them didn't leave a genetic lineage of course, but they did leave their thoughts so that we can learn from them. It's even in the Bible (not that most Christians read that bit. The Catholic clergy evidently have though, which is why most of them opt out while encouraging their flocks to participate as much as possible). That's the main reason why I'm personally against sending any more to the front.

https://twitter.com/Seej500/status/1191369044336742400

That social distancing diagram except instead of coronavirus it's the act of existing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 29, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Police can let themselves into people's houses to break up parties? Didn't know that had happened. I'm the plastic whisky shots and child's food palette combo.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

gently caress me, the cold cuts with random bits of pepper on undressed lettuce! I've had cheerier food at a wake.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I just found a rusted air rifle in a hidden bit of my garden - don't touch it and call the polis?

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 29, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably yeah, alternatively grab it and hoard it for the apocalypse.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

These are great piggies. Possibly the best piggies. You should be happy to have such pig-friends.

My grandmother was called Winifred. She was a nice lady. I think she would have liked a guinea pig to share her name.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How exactly do you just find a shotgun? Like was it buried or something?

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1244156535309242368?s=19

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

So nobody should adopt?

No I'm not saying that. I just see people saying "you can always adopt" like it's easy as a response to people trying for babies. It is not easy and can be emotionally traumatic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume like, stuffed behind a bush or something, but if it's an air rifle and not a shotgun I dunno if the police are required?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jose posted:

How exactly do you just find a shotgun? Like was it buried or something?

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1244156535309242368?s=19
My fence has a weird sort of hidden from view bit on the side, I hadn't looked there before (only moved in a few months ago). It was literally just sat there.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mega Comrade posted:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1243823098962620417

Man this country never ceases to amaze me in the worst ways possible.

Approval ratings for govts/leaders often go up during a time of crisis, even if the crisis is completely mishandled. It doesn't necessarily last

iirc Bush's approval rating went up to something insane like 90% following 9/11

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can understand people having complete disregard for the government, I have that.

Having complete disregard for health and safety during a pandemic though...

Getting incredible boomer vibes from that spread too.

OwlFancier posted:

https://twitter.com/Seej500/status/1191369044336742400

That social distancing diagram except instead of coronavirus it's the act of existing.
:discourse:

Flipswitch posted:

I just found a rusted air rifle in a hidden bit of my garden - don't touch it and call the polis?
If it's just an air rifle you should be fine to keep it until maybe the police are a bit less busy trying to stop boomers killing themselves with terrible horse's doofers.

Unless it's specifically marked as an FAC air rifle or it's actually a .22LR that looks like an air rifle, in which case yeah, call someone.

If it's rusted beyond the point of operability it's not legally a firearm though (offer may not apply to BAME people, Irish, and Glaswegian carpenters).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't think the police give a poo poo about an old air rifle

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If it's been dumped it's possibly been used illegally. Worth calling the non-emergency number and asking them what they think at least before getting your fingerprints on it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'll chuck some gloves on and take a look once I'm dressed but as a man of colour I'm not wanting the Rhondda cops to have a reason to bother me.

I'll give them a ring first

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
yeah don't bother

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you're Black and the police want to kill you then having an old air rifle rusted beyond use in a box 200 yards away is sufficient proof that you were planning to murder every cop. Other than that, no.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jose posted:

Thought this said Rachel Riley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

I'll chuck some gloves on and take a look once I'm dressed but as a man of colour I'm not wanting the Rhondda cops to have a reason to bother me.

I'll give them a ring first

In that case yeah maybe yeah I wouldn't bother.