Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pilz posted:

The easiest thing to do would probably be to poo poo out a rail shooter in a completely different engine, using mostly prerendered assets I suppose? Story as autoscrolling text on screen between missions? 1.5 whole hours of gameplay!

Licensing is probably part of it. They could poo poo out a console shooter using the assets, mobile game, or maybe even mechanima.

Nobody hands over fifty million without leverage somewhere, no matter how relatively chump changey, and there *has* been a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hav posted:

Licensing is probably part of it. They could poo poo out a console shooter using the assets, mobile game, or maybe even mechanima.

You know what helps with making GBS threads out? Squatty Potty!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
CIG has contracted out to other studios to make demos and stuff before right?

Maybe they've hired an actual, competent studio to try to make SQ42?

Maybe the Calders believed Chris when he told them that Star Citizen would be the game to end all games, an ongoing franchise that will be a total cash cow. "I mean look how much money these nerds have already thrown at the game- and it isn't even out yet!"

So now to try to save the project/investment, Calders are throwing good money after bad.

There's a term for that, can't remember what it was... :thunk:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/0Amjrj2.mp4

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

Nice middle ground of AA

not good enough to go pro, but egotistical enough to be upset if someone calls it a hobby

I can teach you ASL instead. That'll take up all of your free time.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I just think you're all overlooking one important possibility. One critical factor that explains the investment and backer support and continued existence of the company.

Maybe, just maybe, Star Citizen is...

good?

Buy my Idris

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Nobody hands over fifty million without leverage somewhere, no matter how relatively chump changey, and there *has* been a change.

The Calders also "invested" into CIG at a crucial time, Roberts was about to run out of money. Without the Calders there is no more CIG, it seems pretty likely they got far more than a %10 share in CIG. My bet is on a set of milestones that if missed would trigger certain actions such as the ouster of Chris from specific roles. The disappearance of Sandi is likely related to this.

I fully believe Chris is in charge in name only at this point. He's there to collect a salary and to keep the backers assuaged by being a familiar face, he is no longer in charge of anything but window dressing.

Also, Theaters of War is never coming out.

Popete fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 29, 2020

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think it’s been mentioned but that’s what makes the tracker so funny to me.

Presumably, if you’ve been into SC for awhile or wanted to blow a lot of money on it, you would know about the gray market. Why buy new when you get it for 30% off and stuff?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I can teach you ASL instead. That'll take up all of your free time.

I'm currently trying to learn Flying Colors, but I also have an ASL #1 set that I've been meaning to learn for a long time. I really need to get on it with all this free time working from home.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think it’s been mentioned but that’s what makes the tracker so funny to me.

Presumably, if you’ve been into SC for awhile or wanted to blow a lot of money on it, you would know about the gray market. Why buy new when you get it for 30% off and stuff?

Because you want to support Chris' glorious dream!!

And because there's a fair chance the grey market seller might screw you over

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Xakura posted:

Not quite the same, but elite's daily peak is about 10k

off the top of my head, civ 5's daily peak is higher than that when there's no god drat enforced quarantine, maybe like double? and civ 5 is a decade old, and doesn't live or die by its playerbase being logged in

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

The assertion (mine, Havs, a few others at least) has been that despite holding a small percentage, the Calders negotiated meaningful controls. That such controls would allow them to impose organizational changes over CIG. Over Chris. That Chris might have far less control than he did prior to their investment, regardless of being still the spokesman / founder / head, particularly if internal milestones have been missed.

In pursuit of controlling the backer narrative in the usual passive implication way that they love so much, CIG went out of their way to mention, multiple times, that Chris still owns a majority share. This in no way indicates he is in control of the company, aside from on paper. If the Calders investment is what's keeping the company afloat, then they have ultimate control over the company's solvency, and can end the company at will. Chris is in control of CIG in the same way a pilot is in control of an airliner - at the will of the interests who actually own and fuel the plane.

That CIG felt the need to reiterate that as many times as they did indicates to me that Chris is, in fact, a figurehead at best. It also seems to indicate a belief that his control of the company is part of what fuels backer confidence. (Stop laughing.)

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 29, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

So, how long until they blame Covid for the inevitable demise of their company?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Popete posted:

The Calders also "invested" into CIG at a crucial time, Roberts was about to run out of money. Without the Calders there is no more CIG, it seems pretty likely they got far more than a %10 share in CIG. My bet is on a set of milestones that if missed would trigger certain actions such as the ouster of Chris from specific roles. The disappearance of Sandi is likely related to this.

I fully believe Chris is in charge in name only at this point. He's there to collect a salary and to keep the backers assuaged by being a familiar face, he is no longer in charge of anything but window dressing.

Also, Theaters of War is never coming out.

This is FUD!

He's also in charge of moon dressing

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

"Cloud Imperium Raises Additional $17.25M Investment from Existing Investors"

:reddit::
Don't people sink money into eve all the time?

What's the difference in the sunk cost fallacy there?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

It also seems to indicate a belief that his control of the company is part of what fuels backer confidence. (Stop laughing.)

That’s very true. Preserve the illusion that Chris is 100% still in control and the tens of millions invested are strengthening rather than weakening him.

No matter what sort of schlocky mess Squadron 42 becomes, the core will celebrate it if they believe it’s 100% his vision. But if they believed he’d lost control and was forced the watch others push it out Freelancer-style then “the greedy bastards compromised the masterpiece that could have been!”

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
is there anything to be gained by installing this game I've owned since 2013 and never touched? is it at least amusingly bad?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beet Wagon posted:

Are they doing a free fly event or something? Cause that's about the only thing that might make me not immediately call bullshit on those signup numbers lol. I try not to stray too far into the "they're rigging the funding tracker" type stuff, but there are actual numbers we can use to gauge their popularity (youtube views, twitch views, the occasional "hours played" infographics they do) and there's no loving way those numbers are legit lol.

I have one explanation that could be valid, I guess. But it's not much better.

Whales making new accounts with Auroras/other stuff that they melt and gift their own accounts. And also they increase their wank counter about new players that they "convinced" to play the ga... Star Citizen.

I am not sure these could make more than few tens a day, though.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xakura posted:

Heyy, that's solid numbers.

Not quite the same, but elite's daily peak is about 10k
https://steamcharts.com/app/359320

Ofc, assuming their self reporting is accurate.

Elite isn't only on Steam, though - they have their own pre-steam launcher and PS/Xbox players that aren't in these stats. Their player count is about two or three times higher than Steam numbers alone.

E: Also as mentioned, this is hourly concurrent, missed that as well.

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 29, 2020

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Society posted:

is there anything to be gained by installing this game I've owned since 2013 and never touched? is it at least amusingly bad?

Having never played it I can safely say no. In fact you might gently caress up your computer.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How are those custom sound drivers doing?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Psycho Society posted:

Only the greatest gameplaying experience of our lifetime, or any lifetime.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kosumo posted:

Squatty Potty!

Hello old friend!

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I wonder what the % of ED players who use Steam is?

I've never connected the two, I use FDEV's launcher.

Probably less than a 3rd of the player count, you also have the XBone and PS4 players to take into consideration as well as people who play on PC without Steam.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

Only the greatest gameplaying experience of our lifetime, or any lifetime.

This is obviously a fake, two different interesting facts cant have the same number ID.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

quote:

The first QUADRUPLE A game!

I'm guessing the last A stands for ahahahahahahahahahahaha

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Now for something completely different:

All the DCS talk in here got me interested. I used to play many of the Jane's games back in the day (F22, Eurofighter, Hunterkiller etc.) and I definitelly don't have the time for THAT amount of "immersion" anymore.

The DCS vids I find on Youtube all have people hitting 100 switches and stuff before the plane even starts to move, and I understand that this is what defines this game, but is there an easy mode? Like I have a nice HOTAS, a VR headset, but I really don't wanna learn 8000 pages of F14 instructions, I just wanna fly around any maybe shot at something. Is this possible?

e: Now I somehow want to play Jane's AH-64D Longbow again. I remember it took me like a weekend to just lift off and hover around (at highest sim level), and even trying to fight anything resulted in my crashing somewhere, but it was ton's of fun and the manual was like a phone book in size)

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 29, 2020

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Lol the ingnorance of people is astonishing. CIG was not once in any financial trouble. Maybe if you knew how to read financial statements you would understand that. I know of at least 2 other firms that wanted to invest lots into CIG and where turned down. 1 on them was my client. If CIG was in trouble they would have had to give A LOT more than 10% for $50mill.
It was always CIGs plan to bring on external investors for the marketing of S42. CIG can easily get loans for millions with their financial strength if they where desperate for $. Allowing an investor was the smarter move as it costs them less.
Maybe go back to school and learn a thing or 2.

:v:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

tuo posted:

The DCS vids I find on Youtube all have people hitting 100 switches and stuff before the plane even starts to move, and I understand that this is what defines this game, but is there an easy mode? Like I have a nice HOTAS, a VR headset, but I really don't wanna learn 8000 pages of F14 instructions, I just wanna fly around any maybe shot at something. Is this possible?

yes - i'd recommend you learn the basics of a cold start and how to go pew pew, and that's about all you'll need to shoot bad guys down.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

I'm currently trying to learn Flying Colors, but I also have an ASL #1 set that I've been meaning to learn for a long time. I really need to get on it with all this free time working from home.

Hit me up whenever.

Or wait for me to get around to doing my ww2 chronology thing i guess

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

SelenicMartian posted:

How are those custom sound drivers doing?

That depends. Can you edit your ini?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

tuo posted:

All the DCS talk in here got me interested. I used to play many of the Jane's games back in the day (F22, Eurofighter, Hunterkiller etc.) and I definitelly don't have the time for THAT amount of "immersion" anymore.

e: Now I somehow want to play Jane's AH-64D Longbow again. I remember it took me like a weekend to just lift off and hover around (at highest sim level), and even trying to fight anything resulted in my crashing somewhere, but it was ton's of fun and the manual was like a phone book in size)

I haven't tried it yet but apparently the JF-17 is simple and intuitive. It's a modern design with all the capabilities baked in, as opposed to late-variant American aircraft that have their systems shoehorned into Cold War-era platforms.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Off topic, but with World War Z being free on Epic games, daughter downloaded and convinced me to as well.

Its pretty fun with some pretty buttock clenching moments when you get hordes of zombies swarming up walls to get you.

This also proves CIG was never ever in any sort of financial trouble.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Lol the ingnorance of people is astonishing. CIG was not once in any financial trouble. Maybe if you knew how to read financial statements you would understand that. I know of at least 2 other firms that wanted to invest lots into CIG and where turned down. 1 on them was my client. If CIG was in trouble they would have had to give A LOT more than 10% for $50mill.
It was always CIGs plan to bring on external investors for the marketing of S42. CIG can easily get loans for millions with their financial strength if they where desperate for $. Allowing an investor was the smarter move as it costs them less.
Maybe go back to school and learn a thing or 2.

:v:

Well, Chris owns a mansion and a yacht and Sandi is making movies so clearly there are no financial trouble for their company.

Check and mate.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

If you wanna check out some fighters but don't wanna spend a lot the Flaming Cliffs 3 bundle will get you 6 aircraft (F-15C, Su-27, A-10A, Su-25, Su-33 and MiG-29) all with professional flight models but simplified cockpits. The FC3 bundle is a great value with tons of a fantastic aircraft, you can fly them with a keyboard and joystick only and don't need to press buttons in the cockpit (not modelled).

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

tuo posted:

F-14 startup is easy as poo poo, partially because RIO does a fair bit of it. Secondly, there is an option for the AI RIO (Jester) to walk you through it, very little study required. You can also hot start them, or start in the air, if you just want to fly around a bit.

I say go for it, especially in VR with a nice HOTAS, as you have. Grab Chuck's guides, pause and look up something when you need it, instead of reading manuals from end to end.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Popete posted:

If you wanna check out some fighters but don't wanna spend a lot the Flaming Cliffs 3 bundle will get you 6 aircraft (F-15C, Su-27, A-10A, Su-25, Su-33 and MiG-29) all with professional flight models but simplified cockpits. The FC3 bundle is a great value with tons of a fantastic aircraft, you can fly them with a keyboard and joystick only and don't need to press buttons in the cockpit (not modelled).

In VR, clickable cockpits are more of a pre than a con, much easier to remember a button or switch' location and shape, than remembering a keyboard shortcut.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

has this stupid piece of poo poo game died yet

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: So I have this immature & humble idea of a "movie mode" of Squadron 42 ...

A "movie mode", just as its name implies, is a mode that shows the whole story like a movie. In this mode you i.e. the player will not need to "play" anything, because the game itself will autoplay, and you won't be experiencing everything in the first-person perspective, but a third-person perspective just like live-action movies. Considering that there might be choices on certain story nodes, you can start the game with an A.I. "player" with certain "personalities" (including the gender), and the personalities (and gender) you chose would determine what option the A.I. "player" chooses while "playing" the game.
As far as I know, Episode 1 of Squadron 42 will have 28 Chapters, which might bring us over 30 hours of gameplay time, and this is even longer than the whole 10 Star Trek movies (original timeline)! I would really appreciate such an exciting long space saga with impressive graphics and VFX.
Of course, to not spoil all the fun, this "movie mode" shall only unlock after the player, i.e. you, complete the whole game at least once.
So what do you guys think about this idea? Please, if you disagree with my proposal or idea, don't give me downvotes (;′⌒`) Just leave a comment and tell me where and why do you think I'm wrong, thank you! 0v0

:confused: I mean, this all seems like a lot of work and time the developers would need to put into for what is ultimately kind of pointless? Maybe I'm missing something but what is so necessary about having the game do all this automated stuff for you to just sit back and watch when you could just watch a no commentary let's play?
Like you said the game is also likely gonna be pretty long. Who is going to just sit there for over 20 hours just watching a playthrough of a game they could instead just be playing? This really feels very pointless

:trustme:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Xakura posted:

In VR, clickable cockpits are more of a pre than a con, much easier to remember a button or switch' location and shape, than remembering a keyboard shortcut.

Yeah, for this reason I found the F18 much, much easier to fly and control than any of the Flaming Cliffs plane. In Flaming Cliffs, you're always memorizing pretty arbitrary key binds that you forget once you haven't played the game for a while. In the F18, you pretty much know what you want and you press it. On-board electricity? Uuuh, oh there. Starter? There. I don't see anything on my MFDs! Wait, lemme push that button next to it. It's also tremendously more satisfying.

The only downside is that clickable cockpits are a little bit awkward in VR. The mouse cursor is controlled by both your head orientation and the actual mouse. So, you'll fix your head on an instrument panel and then use the mouse for precision. I also have a button on my joystick so that I can just look at stuff and click with the button, but that isn't really fun.

With the exception of WW2-dogfighters, I'd hardly want to go back to unclickable cockpits. It's so much easier and so much more fun.