Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
yes hun I get that you were just trying to be funny like Eric Cartman but 2/3 of my people got murdered by people making the same jokes and "chutzpah" is actually a word from a beautiful language that's currently on life support because of that same event so it's also not funny when you do "banker" accent and use it

yes you can still say tush no it's not the same why is this hard to understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

waffleman posted:

Yeah for real... Like if you find it too tedious to explain poo poo maybe just don't post about it rather than being an rear end in a top hat to someone who was earnestly trying to learn.

it's not just their posts, it's their lives, which are at continual hightened risk from people who refuse them empathy, as you are now doing

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Samovar posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1244186031752175616

Read replies to see how Kevin is as thick as pig-poo poo.

https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/1244214001527119872

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

PizzaProwler posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that calm discussion is no longer encouraged.
When you are the subject of the discussion and it isn't an interesting thought exercise sometimes it can be a wee bit difficult to stay calm and observe ~decorum~

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"why can't all these people whose worth society is constantly trying to degrade show me the respect society has told me i deserve? is it so hard for them to show a little consideration? what's gotten them so sensitive?"

you'd think that level of hypocrisy would burn the tongue when spoken

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Antigravitas posted:

So it's basically personal double entry accounting for the pre-digital age? That is indeed useful.

The idea was that you'd know if the account was overdrawn and would stop writing checks. If you waited for the monthly statement to see how much you had left, you could theoretically be writing checks that you didn't have the money for. But yeah, now that banks log your purchases online immediately, it's kind of a moot point. It's a weird thing for Boomers to get hung up on. I think I've written like 2 or 3 checks in the past year, and that was because the handyman/junk removers couldn't get Square to work.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mak0rz posted:

I no joke encountered a TERF type on Twitter who used the terms "impregnator" and "gestator" instead.

They took the dehumanization to the logical extreme I guess.

That's super gross. I apologize if the terms I used were crass as well.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I read that "thought exercise" and rolled my eyes at it. It may be genuine and coming from a well meaning place, but I'll never care enough to ask because I've seen that exact setup a thousand times already from terfs and other concern trolling dickheads trying to debate my existence.
Google is just a tab away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/dwdavison/status/1244297596128178182?s=21

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I like getting information from actual people and not a search engine sometimes.

Are y'all seriously dogpiling on someone for asking questions about trans people?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How do we have this exact same loving derail every month?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yup,

And dunking on TERFs is easy mode. I mean its fine and all but it seems like 75% of the thread lately.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Field Mousepad posted:

I like getting information from actual people and not a search engine sometimes.

Are y'all seriously dogpiling on someone for asking questions about trans people?

The problem is that a lot of people ask "innocent questions" that they know perfectly well the answer to, in an attempt to set up a line of "reasoning" which is TERF-y or chuddy as gently caress, and sadly like 90% of the time when this happens, we get the usual "gently caress off, TERF" and half the readers go "but it was an innocent question!" and then the original poster returns to reveal that beneath the mask was, indeed, a TERF.

So rude as it may seem, this is sadly the correct response most of the time.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Although if you do know how to balance a checkbook, you have mastery of about 90% of the skills for an entry level accounting job, the rest is learning Quickbooks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pustulio posted:

Although if you do know how to balance a checkbook, you have mastery of about 90% of the skills for an entry level accounting job, the rest is learning Quickbooks.

Sorry it's 2020, all entry level positions want 5 years experience and a college degree

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quickbooks is also one of those software packages that seemingly never got enough competition, so the experience of using it is just godawful.

Want to run a search query? Why I’m sure just typing in the word and pressing enter will work. Hahahahahahaha no.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

As someone who has said/asked lovely things in the past unknowingly out of ignorance: When you ask or say anything, no matter how seemingly innocent, about or to members of oppressed groups, you absolutely need to prepare for the possibility of it not being so innocent and even causing offense.

And in that situation the best thing you can do is apologize, learn from it, move on, and don't do it again. Responding with indignation just makes you look like an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

This whole thing reminds me of a math teacher I had in high school that got super mad if students didn't understand something right away. Lots of people basically stopped asking questions and then he got more mad when we did poorly on tests.

The real IoSM are the users we meet along the way.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Antigravitas posted:

So it's basically personal double entry accounting for the pre-digital age? That is indeed useful.

Exactly, which is why the boomer fixation on it is hilarious and sad. They have no idea what useful skill is inherent to balancing a checkbook, so they can't extrapolate it out to a different thing. Maintaining a household budget uses double entry accounting and that's still a relevant skill. If only boomers hadn't spent years using 'learn how to budget' to mean 'stop spending your money on avocado toast.'

Also, speaking as a trans poster, the only think more annoying that an 'I don't know anything about trans people, but...' question is when a bunch of non-trans goons pile in to argue over whether I should be tired or offended by that kind of question.

Dixville, your thought exercise is something radical feminist and queer theory have tossed around for decades now. If you have a genuine interest in the subject, come over to the trans thread in TGRS TMR, and we can recommend some literature.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Field Mousepad posted:

That's nice. Most of us don't like being used like a search engine, when we're constantly defending our existence as it is from strangers doing that "well i thought i'd just go to the source instead of google" poo poo just to lay down their sick terf logic burns in the next breath. It's loving exhausting. How would you like it?

We're dog-piling someone for having a "thought exercise" about our existence while using terfy words like "transgenderism".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

d3lness posted:

This whole thing reminds me of a math teacher I had in high school that got super mad if students didn't understand something right away. Lots of people basically stopped asking questions and then he got more mad when we did poorly on tests.

The thing that sticks with me more than anything else from all of high school was my 10th grade geometry teacher telling everyone that if we were getting a C or lower in his class to not even bother going to college. That was ballpark 15 years ago and him telling me I'm not good enough to accomplish anything still sticks with me.

Apparently he's a junior high principal now at a different school district

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

d3lness posted:

that would certainly be a relevant comparison if this was a classroom and the question directed to a teacher

there are literal classes you can take for this, with great professors. they're almost entirely online for the time being, even.

however this forums thread is not that and you have just literally done the "minorities' job is to teach me how to not be a dick" thing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I guess the the thing I’m wondering is that if someone really is coming from a place of ignorance and not bad faith, is google actually going to get them the right information or is it—like how YouTube’s algorithm ends up promoting alt-right bullshit—just going to direct them to TERF misinformation?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Going with content written by actual trans people would be a good (but not imperfect) start in weeding out the terf and nazi poo poo.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

PizzaProwler posted:

Nice job alienating someone who dares to try to come to an understanding about something less familiar to them.

nice job (1) declaring that my post alienated somebody without them saying anything about it, you fuckin' psychic and (2) defending a terfy thought exercise about how trans people could be eliminated if people were just nicer to butches (i'm a feminine man, not a masculine woman, and all attempts to say "society could just be more accepting of masculine women and feminine men and then trans people wouldn't have to exist! which would be great because everyone knows trans peoples' lives and existences are nothing but suffering! i'm looking to HELP those people by making them unnecessary!" are both stupid and harmful in ways that would, i think, eventually become clear to anyone who actually.... talked to people and TRIED TO UNDERSTAND instead of treating it as a philosophical thought exercise they should post in public

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

That's nice. Most of us don't like being used like a search engine, when we're constantly defending our existence as it is from strangers doing that "well i thought i'd just go to the source instead of google" poo poo just to lay down their sick terf logic burns in the next breath. It's loving exhausting. How would you like it?

Speaking as someone with a slightly nonstandard sexuality, if it comes up in conversation, I'd much rather that people who have questions about it just ask, rather than feel like they should be afraid to ever approach the subject. (Especially if what they're asking for is information about how NOT to offend.)

As for questions turning into smug "logic" burns, I don't doubt that it happens, and I'm sure it's infuriating. But when's the last time it happened here in the IoSM thread? This thread showcases idiocy on all kinds of topics, and no one is going to know every topic inside and out. It's a very natural place for questions like "I don't get it, why is that offensive?" to come up, free of any ulterior motive.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Alternatively, just let the person know what they said or did was ignorant and rude. Then point them in the generally correct direction. Nobody asked you to give a seminar on the topic. Having a melty and then not explaining doesn't do anything productive. In any situation, if you call something out and aren't willing to offer a modicum of clarification then you have perpetuated the issue. Learning through mistakes is a big part of life.

E: what the poster above me said

d3lness has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Mar 29, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

d3lness posted:

This would make a better analogy if instead of a math teacher he was a random mathematician on the street, and if instead of being employed to teach you math his job was literally anything else, and if instead of asking him questions you were giving him unsolicited opinions about how irrational numbers don't exist and why it's okay to divide by zero.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

d3lness posted:

Alternatively, just let the person know what they said or did was ignorant and rude. Then point them in the generally correct direction. Nobody asked you to give a seminar on the topic. Having a melty and then not explaining doesn't do anything productive. In any situation, if you call something out and aren't willing to offer a modicum of clarification then you have perpetuated the issue. Learning through mistakes is a big part of life.

Fuckin this. Pretty sure we're all on the same team here, don't be an rear end in a top hat because someone doesn't know everything about your situation.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

But when's the last time it happened here in the IoSM thread?

There was a post earlier where someone complained this conversation seemed to happen every month, and I definitely remember it happening more than once. This is not a new conversation even for this thread. Every time it happens, someone gets real mad that someone else was annoyed at their thought exercise or whatever. If I'm not mistaken, the last time it happened was full of bad faith "well I just asked to avoid offending you, but when you're angry at me, I want to offend you!" crap.

Like man, I'm fairly cis and I'm sick of it, I can't imagine how sick they are of it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

d3lness posted:

People are allowed to be tired, angry, exhausted, and upset. You don't know what's going on in their lives. As a cis person, there are questions I have asked trans friends... after checking that they're fine with it, and where they know me well enough to know my intentions if I do blunder. Why would you put that level of emotional labor on a stranger, especially in an inappropriate space for that? Can't you see how that might be like, say, approaching a black person in a supermarket and launching into a thought exercise about slavery while they're just trying to buy some loving food?

There are resources and threads specifically for education on minority topics. Minorities do not exist as a living classroom about their oppression.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Give us space to be people before defining us by our queerness.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
So just to replay the order of events on the previous page, someone did a thought experiment, other people immediately pointed out what was wrong with it and why, the OP acknowledged them in a reply, and only then did people chime in to tell OP they were being offensive.

Is this not what the "please take time to educate me" folks are asking for? What more would you have wanted out of the exchange?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Mak0rz posted:

As someone who has said/asked lovely things in the past unknowingly out of ignorance: When you ask or say anything, no matter how seemingly innocent, about or to members of oppressed groups, you absolutely need to prepare for the possibility of it not being so innocent and even causing offense.

And in that situation the best thing you can do is apologize, learn from it, move on, and don't do it again. Responding with indignation just makes you look like an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

I think this is the best way to take it. If you are genuine and well-meaning, you have to be genuine and well-meaning enough to recognize that your actions can be construed as negative or, even, just be negative to people in a different frame of reference. Use it as a moment to learn, grow and move on. Don't be a try to be the TRUE victim by saying "Well, I certainly won't be an ally now!"

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

I’m the shocked reaction emoji

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Speaking as someone with a slightly nonstandard sexuality, if it comes up in conversation, I'd much rather that people who have questions about it just ask, rather than feel like they should be afraid to ever approach the subject. (Especially if what they're asking for is information about how NOT to offend.)

That's nice. I'm glad you don't mind fielding questions from strangers.

Powered Descent posted:

As for questions turning into smug "logic" burns, I don't doubt that it happens, and I'm sure it's infuriating. But when's the last time it happened here in the IoSM thread? This thread showcases idiocy on all kinds of topics, and no one is going to know every topic inside and out. It's a very natural place for questions like "I don't get it, why is that offensive?" to come up, free of any ulterior motive.

Field Mousepad posted:

Fuckin this. Pretty sure we're all on the same team here, don't be an rear end in a top hat because someone doesn't know everything about your situation.

There was a pretty big dust-up on these here forums about transphobia what, 2 months ago? I'm not assuming anyone is on the same side or coming from a place of genuine good intentions.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Thought experiments should be a crime

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Much like your posting :coal:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

christmas boots posted:

I guess the the thing I’m wondering is that if someone really is coming from a place of ignorance and not bad faith, is google actually going to get them the right information or is it—like how YouTube’s algorithm ends up promoting alt-right bullshit—just going to direct them to TERF misinformation?
Therein lies the poo poo Pickle—having to constantly figure out whether the questions are genuine or just trying to lure you into a GOTCHA! Because there is a huge amount of stuff carefully crafted to sound reasonable as well as the Brennan/Greer strain of PENIS MAN 41% YOU CAN'T HAAAAVE BABIIIIIES straight-up antagonism.

It's a tightrope, Spud. A tightrope.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

We're dog-piling someone for having a "thought exercise" about our existence while using terfy words like "transgenderism".
Yeah, the tone is super JAQy and sounds like a million other musings that ended up NARCISSISTIC AGP RAAAAAGE within three posts.

Unregardless, because I need to distract myself from the neighbor trying to sing in Mariah Carey's range and also because I'm an idiot, I will answer some questions.

Dixville posted:

Like, do you reaaallllyyy need to change your genitals or hormones?

Listen, I tried every possible variation—being non-conforming, nonbinary, effeminate, not that guy but still a guy, just doing my thing maaaaaan—to avoid having to admit it even to myself first and then undergo all the weird and awkward and uncomfortable bits involved in a social and medical transition, partially because I didn't have a clear idea of how much more aligned I am with that hormonal profile than the previous one and the extent of the non-visible effects.

In keeping with my fondness for weird analogies, I'll describe it as taking off a thong made out of felt and slipping on sone nice comfy sweatpants.

I mean, it's totally a thing entirely divorced from societal pressures

quote:

Well, sure, if that's what you really want.
Some of us need it to live completely, but some people do take hormones despite being avowedly cis and y'know what? gently caress it. If that's what they really want but without the tinge of snideness

quote:

But how much of that desire is just to please society and not just yourself?
HOW MUCH OF WHAT ANY WOMAN DOES IS BORNE OUT OF A DESIRE TO PLEASE SOCIETY AND NOT THEMSELVES?

Although there are added aspects of not not wanting to be beaten up or murdered by someone with a guilty boner, hassled on the bus, and, in locales where informed consent is not A Thing, not getting gatekept right the gently caress into the black market.

On a personal level applicable to almost no one else, the answer is: not much. I'm a futchy trashbag and if people don't like it I have a brick in my purse.

quote:

Would transgenderism even be needed?
First off...

Secondly, your question presupposes that the need exists and isn't like just a thing that happens for reasons we're not entirely sure of other than an very Byzantine interactions of gene expression and gestational factors and hormones and, yes, cultural influences, because we live in a society.

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If anyone wants a cis person's primer to how and why Trans issues are important I'd suggest looking up Dan Cummin's Timesuck podcast on the "transgender debate" specifically because it features a lovely and articulate transwoman taking a large chunk out of her day to explain all the poo poo that gets brought up once a month in this thread.