Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Because i've gone down a rabbit hole of paranoia, I took my blood pressure today twice just to try and make sure the co-morbidities didn't exist and that my chance of dying (0.2% was less than my chance of dying over the next 5 years naturally anyway 0.3?%) My blood pressure registed 159/82 the first time and I almost cried, and then two hours later I did it again and it registered 124/79, so I don't really know anything other than this month is sending me loving mad.

263 AD: Lots of stuff happened in China in the Three Kingdoms war. Don't think any of it involved a virus.

Weasling Weasel fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're nervous about your blood pressure your blood pressure will make you nervous.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If you're nervous about your blood pressure your blood pressure will make you nervous.
Yeah. Taking it a second time sure helped me not go loving mental. Self-diagosing yourself with hypertension and the same point where hypertension might increase your rate of dying by a lot is not advisable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OwlFancier posted:

This is very true. Getting my BP taken for my aviation medical, I'm always on the high side, but if I'm getting it taken as part of a regular checkup it's normal.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

this... this might be his best work yet

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Weasling Weasel posted:

Because i've gone down a rabbit hole of paranoia, I took my blood pressure today twice just to try and make sure the co-morbidities didn't exist and that my chance of dying (0.2% was less than my chance of dying over the next 5 years naturally anyway 0.3?%) My blood pressure registed 159/82 the first time and I almost cried, and then two hours later I did it again and it registered 124/79, so I don't really know anything other than this month is sending me loving mad.

263 AD: Lots of stuff happened in China in the Three Kingdoms war. Don't think any of it involved a virus.

If you're using one of those wrist ones, be sure to have your arm at exactly the same position each time. I had one of those once, cost me £50 about 15 years ago.
Move my arm a mm up or down and my blood pressure changed like yours. I took it back, useless.
A local pharmacy when I lived in London had one of those arm squeezing ones which I think are more reliable but nothing like that round here.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

I thought they were little ghost faces before I started reading

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

crispix posted:

I thought they were little ghost faces before I started reading

It's the Monster Munch debate all over again.

These are the correct ones by the way

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

It'd be far more consistent to just say "air weapons are weapons that use compressed air, you can own whatever ones you like if you have an air weapons permit, which is shall issue unless you've done a serious violent crime".

You could still kill people with it though, presumably, which I'd say is a bad thing even if you can't do a spree shooting easily (at least without several guns on hand, anyway).

If anything I'd blame manufacturers who skirt too close to the legal limit, if they made rifles capable of 12J at most then it wouldn't be an issue. I imagine you could raise the limit but then they'd probably all just move to the higher threshold.

I guess you could do two tiers where it's not legal to sell but it is still legal to own.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Weird, another impossible thing has suddenly become possible

quote:

In the UK, Stuart, a street outreach worker from Brighton, says his job has changed dramatically since the coronavirus outbreak as every homeless person has to be indoors by this weekend.

While the threshold for housing people was once high, local authorities are now able to get accommodation in 30 minutes, he said. “Now, it’s all shifted and they are trying to negotiate with landlords and hotel owners to get people into accommodation.

“It’s been quick, you send five people over and within 30 minutes the council can say got somewhere.

Naturally the government are going about it in the shittest way possible

quote:

but it is frustrating because the government has not allowed local authorities to requisition buildings from private owners. That would be easier and quicker.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

You could still kill people with it though, presumably, which I'd say is a bad thing even if you can't do a spree shooting easily (at least without several guns on hand, anyway).

If anything I'd blame manufacturers who skirt too close to the legal limit, if they made rifles capable of 12J at most then it wouldn't be an issue. I imagine you could raise the limit but then they'd probably all just move to the higher threshold.

I guess you could do two tiers where it's not legal to sell but it is still legal to own.
Sure, but you could kill people with a crossbow and broadhead bolts, but I could just order one of them off the internet right now if every other fucker in the country hadn't for whatever terrible reason.

The reason you don't get mass crossbow shootings is because someone would twat them in the 15 seconds it takes them to reload, and the reason you don't get lots of individual crossbow murders is because thankfully not that many people want to go around murdering people (and also they're kinda clunky).

Same goes with air weapons, if you had one that could kill people you'd have to keep stopping to pump it up, and if you had one that could do a lot of shots it wouldn't be easy to kill people.

The big problem that you have with air rifles is that the ones below a number are treated like toys because there's no permit attached to them, and the ones above that are treated like firearms with all the certification and stuff. So you get a bunch of twats who think it's acceptable to pelt cats with the low power ones, or who end up causing a serious accident titting about, and people (usually kids) have ended up dead from that.

I think making a permit that's not quite as stringent as the shotgun certificate but that covers small air rifles and a bunch of larger ones that are currently on the FAC would send the message that "these are not toys, do not buy them for your kids to use unsupervised" well, while getting rid of the worry that you're owning something that might arbitrarily be decided is a firearm later.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sassassin posted:

The time to act was when Italy moved from a regional red zone to national lockdown, prove me wrong.

it was when dean koontz wrote the eyes of darkness

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Problem I see there is that it’s not actually that hard to get a shotgun licence, you just need a lockable cabinet and a clean record and once the air rifle people realise that it’s the same checks then they will go for the big gun licence.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/swpolice/status/1244224030644883456?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52067211

apparently telling poshos who are treating this as a holiday is a "hate crime"

loving :laffo:

nothing says "vigilante" "attacks" like, erm, leaving someone a note :qq:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thread - scoop on Starmer's proposed aides and abetts.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1244182535241977856?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Julio Cruz posted:

to... tell them to heed the government's advice :ohdear:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

Tories introduce "number of homes owned" as a protected category and end up accidentally giving a load of protection against violence to homeless people.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

In the Arab Spring, protests over food prices and unemployment escalated into about half a dozen insurrections and a brace of long running civil wars which caused a refugee crisis that was exploited by opportunistic politicians who jeopardised the stability of an entire continent. I'd expect heads will roll in quite a few countries as a result of the incompetent handling of this epidemic, but there could be a much longer tail.

The Arab Spring experience might also explain why government responses to the next looming economic crisis are so much more focused on interventions at citizen level.
2010 government: Your employer is going out of business? gently caress them. And gently caress you too.
2020 government: Your employer is going out of business? How about you all just sort of "look busy", and we'll pay all the bills as long as you don't Gadaffi us.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/francisqcoyle/status/1244266747210981376?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
That doesn't spell sage.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

It was found near a badger/fox set (they share) and I'm assuming they unearthed it a few years back going by the moss growth

There's been a few settlements on or near the farm since roman times so it could be very old or just a few hundred years

Pages back.
That's almost certainly one of the many, many types of Victorian field drain (PDF) though it could possibly be Roman. If you contact your county archaeologist, send them the pictures and tell them where you found it they should be able to tell you which and if anything is already recorded there (or add a dot on the regional record if there isn't).

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

The big problem that you have with air rifles is that the ones below a number are treated like toys because there's no permit attached to them, and the ones above that are treated like firearms with all the certification and stuff. So you get a bunch of twats who think it's acceptable to pelt cats with the low power ones, or who end up causing a serious accident titting about, and people (usually kids) have ended up dead from that.

I think making a permit that's not quite as stringent as the shotgun certificate but that covers small air rifles and a bunch of larger ones that are currently on the FAC would send the message that "these are not toys, do not buy them for your kids to use unsupervised" well, while getting rid of the worry that you're owning something that might arbitrarily be decided is a firearm later.

This is a can of worms the police really don't want to open. They already struggle keeping up with firearm and shotgun certificates, so having to process an airgun license similar to Scotland's would be a massive headache. Nobody has any idea how many air rifles and pistols there are in England and Wales, as domestic sales have only been registered quite recently, and may be resold privately or bought online from European shops with no records. In Scotland, a significant yet unknown number of owners simply didn't bother to register.

Julio Cruz posted:

loving :laffo:

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any arson attacks here yet. There was a bit of a history of torching holiday homes in the late 80s, and the sentiment locally is strong enough that it's only a matter of time until people take up their old hobby.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 29, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The problem with Scotland's is that it just imposed a licence onto existing licence free air guns, attracting the usual "government overreach/waste of money/but i'm responsible" comments and lack of compliance, which doesn't really surprise me.

If you dropped the hard 12 ft-lb limit and made it a proper permit, but including all pressurized air arms, knowing the usual air gun types they'd leap at that, because hell yeah bigger guns.

And then 95% of them wouldn't even bother actually buying an FAC air rifle, because most of them are loving expensive.

It's not really going to do much about grandad's old spring gun in the shed, in the same way that shotgun certificates didn't do much about great grandad's old single barrel 10 bore, but that's the kind of thing where it'll be on generational basis as they're clearing out estates and wondering "can I really be bothered to get a permit for this or should I just sell it?"

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/LloydCymru/status/1244345267668819969

Are they testing more in Wales than in England? Because uhh they're dominating the charts

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

The problem with Scotland's is that it just imposed a licence onto existing licence free air guns, attracting the usual "government overreach/waste of money/but i'm responsible" comments and lack of compliance, which doesn't really surprise me.

If you dropped the hard 12 ft-lb limit and made it a proper permit, but including all pressurized air arms, knowing the usual air gun types they'd leap at that, because hell yeah bigger guns.

And then 95% of them wouldn't even bother actually buying an FAC air rifle, because most of them are loving expensive.

It's not really going to do much about grandad's old spring gun in the shed, in the same way that shotgun certificates didn't do much about great grandad's old single barrel 10 bore, but that's the kind of thing where it'll be on generational basis as they're clearing out estates and wondering "can I really be bothered to get a permit for this or should I just sell it?"

The reason I haven't gone FAC is that it's too much hassle. I could do so and would stand a pretty good chance of getting a full certificate, but don't see any reason to jump through the various hoops. If I had to, I would, but only the more serious airgunners would. A lot would just give up or not bother registering, and it would virtually eliminate any new blood coming into the hobby.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait Aneurin Bevan is a place?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Answers Me posted:

Are they testing more in Wales than in England? Because uhh they're dominating the charts

Wales has a big urban/rural divide. The big clusters are all in the heavily urbanised southern and northeasten border areas, while cases are relatively light in the rest of the country.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's the name of one of the Health Boards in Wales – so actually perhaps those stats aren't comparing like-for-like and the England v Wales stats are a bit of a false comparison...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

It's the South East Wales Health authority - covers Cardiff, Newport, Monmouthshire, Torfaen plus or minus a few other bits.

Also there are two big district general hospitals in the area: Royal Gwent and Neville Hall.
(I don't know how that compares to the rest of Wales).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Soylent Yellow posted:

The reason I haven't gone FAC is that it's too much hassle. I could do so and would stand a pretty good chance of getting a full certificate, but don't see any reason to jump through the various hoops. If I had to, I would, but only the more serious airgunners would. A lot would just give up or not bother registering, and it would virtually eliminate any new blood coming into the hobby.
That's why I'd keep the permit as simple as possible.

FAC has all kinds of checks on background and safe storage and 'good reason' and all that, and applies to anything from a .22LR plinker to a .50BMG bench rifle, shotgun certificate is quite a bit looser but still requires inspection and professional advocacy (which in reality is more like paying your GP to sign a note but it's still a hoop). Airgun permit should be more along the lines of "you killed anyone? done any armed robberies? planning to? ok cool" and that would take a good deal of weight off of the firearms certificate inspection as FAC air rifles moved there.

As you said, even the most powerful ones are less than a .22 rimfire rifle, 45 ft-lbs would be a decent FAC airgun, but the weakest common .22 (subsonic, for small vermin) is over double that, so I'm not worried about any spree killings or anything, and it sets a fair balance between keeping the ones seen as toys out of the hands of kids while providing access to the sport.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Air rifle chat:
When I was about 17, my brothers (13/14 yrs old) had air rifles. I remember one evening one of them waving one around pointing it at people saying 'it's not dangerous' and then he accidentally let it off and it shot a hole in the bathroom mirror. It would easily have taken out one of our eyes if it had gone off when he was pointing it at us.

(Ed: it was the mid/late 70s I have no idea whether they were legal or not at the time!)

Virus chat:

Just finished watching Contagion (all 2hrs 50 mins of it) and realized half the stuff I've read online about cures, causes and so forth, and govt responses, has come straight from that film.
Well I'm very glad I had BCG injection as a child about 45-50 years ago!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 29, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

That's why I'd keep the permit as simple as possible.

FAC has all kinds of checks on background and safe storage and 'good reason' and all that, and applies to anything from a .22LR plinker to a .50BMG bench rifle, shotgun certificate is quite a bit looser but still requires inspection and professional advocacy (which in reality is more like paying your GP to sign a note but it's still a hoop). Airgun permit should be more along the lines of "you killed anyone? done any armed robberies? planning to? ok cool" and that would take a good deal of weight off of the firearms certificate inspection as FAC air rifles moved there.

As you said, even the most powerful ones are less than a .22 rimfire rifle, 45 ft-lbs would be a decent FAC airgun, but the weakest common .22 (subsonic, for small vermin) is over double that, so I'm not worried about any spree killings or anything, and it sets a fair balance between keeping the ones seen as toys out of the hands of kids while providing access to the sport.

This is my main concern. To put it in a rather crude fashion, I would like to see just enough of a barrier to entry to keep airguns out of the hands of the kinds of people likely to use them to go hunting the local cat population and shooting out windows.

British law treats firearms as a priveledge that can be removed if abused, rather than an assumed right as in the USA, and I think an approach like this encourages responsible ownership.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Every time someone says "red zone" I think of tiberium.

"Red zone" is what Kane calls his bedroom when he's got a girl over

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I saw this "been close to boris" graph a while back

And I remember thinking "wow, imagine seeing this a few weeks ago and out of context, it'd make no sense at all". but then, I thought maybe I'd have made more sense of it a couple months back than I do now--these are some legit crazy times we live in.

report from the land of keeping calm and carrying on: seems to work out for us this far, but there's absolutely no guarantee we're not actually much fuckeder up than what's immediately apparent, and we simply haven't noticed it yet. a pretty intense hit of hypomania got me off work these last couple weeks, so I've been hanging out a lot at the swimming establishment in town. i've got that place pretty much to myself

Take care of yourselves

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Why is this person wishing gonorrhea for Boris? Is covid-19 not bad enough?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I saw this "been close to boris" graph a while back

And I remember thinking "wow, imagine seeing this a few weeks ago and out of context, it'd make no sense at all". but then, I thought maybe I'd have made more sense of it a couple months back than I do now--these are some legit crazy times we live in.

report from the land of keeping calm and carrying on: seems to work out for us this far, but there's absolutely no guarantee we're not actually much fuckeder up than what's immediately apparent, and we simply haven't noticed it yet. a pretty intense hit of hypomania got me off work these last couple weeks, so I've been hanging out a lot at the swimming establishment in town. i've got that place pretty much to myself

Take care of yourselves

Our two town pools are closed. They'd only just reopened after full disinfection and cleaning after being shut for a month because they got flooded.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Barry Foster posted:

What makes your intuition special?

Have you considered that the reason you think consciousness (human or otherwise) is special is because you're a conscious being thinking about consciousness? I know that sounds silly, but it's actually pretty important. You're trapped within consciousness, anything you think about consciousness is a product of consciousness. It's a recursive system that in itself tells you precisely poo poo all about anything outside consciousness

EDIT - I'm sorry, text isn't great at tone, I'm not trying to be a dickhead, you're a good lad PJ

I used to think the brain was the most important organ until I realised who was telling me that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Aneurin Bevan represent!!! Not the first time I've wished I lived somewhere else tbh.

Also, even though we knew about what was happening in northern Italy we still had a northern Italian rugby team, Treviso, come over and play a match in Newport. Good job everyone.