Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bessantj posted:

Aneurin Bevan represent!!! Not the first time I've wished I lived somewhere else tbh.

Also, even though we knew about what was happening in northern Italy we still had a northern Italian rugby team, Treviso, come over and play a match in Newport. Good job everyone.

Yeah, I'm in this health board area too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strawman posted:

I used to think the brain was the most important organ until I realised who was telling me that.

The brain is a radiator, everyone knows cognition occurs in the heart.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah, I'm in this health board area too.

Did you say you were in Blaina? Aneurin Bevan does have most of the population of Wales in it.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

bessantj posted:

Aneurin Bevan represent!!! Not the first time I've wished I lived somewhere else tbh.

Also, even though we knew about what was happening in northern Italy we still had a northern Italian rugby team, Treviso, come over and play a match in Newport. Good job everyone.

Betsi Cadwaladr crew here. Not bad here yet, but my sister works at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd, so I know things are heating up. It's not to difficult to isolate here, but we're a rural area with not a lot of resources to go around.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bessantj posted:

Did you say you were in Blaina? Aneurin Bevan does have most of the population of Wales in it.

Not now, lived there in the late 60s.
I went to Blaina West Side Junior School.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 29, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The brain is a radiator, everyone knows cognition occurs in the heart.
Probably one of those poo poo ones you need to pay to get removed.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's the South East Wales Health authority - covers Cardiff, Newport, Monmouthshire, Torfaen plus or minus a few other bits.

Also there are two big district general hospitals in the area: Royal Gwent and Neville Hall.
(I don't know how that compares to the rest of Wales).

Not Cardiff. Monmouth, Gwent, Torfaen, Blaenau.

Also supply some services to Powys, because no bugger lives there. Although that's being scaled back at the moment.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

If you're nervous about your blood pressure your blood pressure will make you nervous.

Having your blood pressure measured while you want it to be low, is a very strange and counterproductive experience. Best to close one's eyes and think of England.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think that would raise mine.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
have a guardian article

apparently the way to reduce right wing terrorism is to just give them what they want

Threat from far right may be receding since Tory election victory posted:

Ex-MI5 chief says win may have made extremists feel their voices are being heard

The threat from the rise of far-right terrorism in Britain could be diminishing after Boris Johnson’s election victory because supporters of the ideology feel they are being listened to, according to a former head of MI5.

Lord Evans of Weardale said “alienated” voters normally vulnerable to exploitation by far-right groups such as the British National party (BNP), English Defence League (EDL) and National Action might feel that their voices had been heard at the ballot box with the significant win for the Conservatives in December’s election.

The former MI5 director general, who led Britain’s domestic security service between 2006 and 2013, said: “Whatever you think of the outcome of the recent election in the UK, the fact that some of the legitimate concerns that were being used as a pretext by English nationalists have now been formally acknowledged at the ballot box might be a good outcome, even though it is sort of disconcerting for southern liberals.

“There was a significant alienated and disenfranchised group out there who didn’t think the system was taking any notice of them. And that’s where you need to be concerned about extremists exploiting legitimate concerns.

“Disaffected English nationalists were manifesting themselves at the extremes in things like the British National party and National Action, which fed the undertone that articulated itself as extreme rightwing terrorism.”

However, the crossbench peer warned that it remained to be seen whether potential far-right supporters would be wholly satisfied by Johnson’s administration.

“Attention still needs to be paid to this group, as it is not clear that they will feel entirely assuaged as a result of the fact that people are paying wider attention to them now. Terrorist problems emerge when you have a significant population who feel alienated and nobody takes notice of them, causing frustration and anger,” he added.

Evans, who was made a life peer in 2014, made the comments in an interview with the US-based Combat Terrorism Center. He has previously said the rise of far-right terrorism in Britain has been encouraged by years of austerity following the 2008 recession.

“I suspect it is a reflection of the social pressures on communities as a result of austerity measures. There seems to be a constituency of disaffected males (for the most part, but not entirely) who find extreme rightwing beliefs attractive. And they have started to get their acts together to organise into groups and plot.”

In the interview, he said some far-right terrorists had been “consciously and deliberately inspired by the perceived success of violent Islamists”.

He added that the EDL was “mutually symbiotic” with Anjem Choudary’s al-Muhajiroun group and described the emergence of neo-Nazi terrorist organisation National Action and its successor groups, which have described their ideology as “white jihad”, as predictable.

He added: “There is some evidence that they have been consciously and deliberately inspired by the perceived success of the violent Islamists in getting their grievances on the table as a result of violence and thought, ‘Well, we can do something like that.’”
Last September the head of counterterror police, Neil Basu, vowed to thwart the rise of the far right, which the force has said is the fastest-growing terrorist threat in the UK.

The number of white terror suspects being arrested in the UK has outstripped those of Asian background for two years in a row, and of the 25 attack plots that have been foiled since March 2017, 16 were Islamist, eight far right and one “other”.

In 2018 MI5 took the lead in investigating the most dangerous extreme rightwing terrorists in a sign of how seriously the threat was being taken.

Some terrorists were incited by extreme rightwing propaganda, such as Thomas Mair, who murdered the MP Jo Cox in 2016. But others, like Darren Osborne, who attacked Muslim worshippers with a van in north London, had acted after reading lawful material from groups such as the EDL and mainstream media.
love the unironic use of "legitimate concerns"

also his attempt to imply its somehow mostly an economic thing, and not e.g. mostly an "every right-wing newspaper basically being Der stürmer" thing, when they are apparently happy with the austerity party winning

also also the dig at "southern liberals" for being a bit concerned that nazis are pleased with our current government

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cwm Taff here - though only recently. I'm the .9

I feel like we Welsh posters could launch a coup on this thread sometimes.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

I think that would raise mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOxeH_OQpFw

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not now, lived there in the late 60s.
I went to Blaina West Side Junior School.

Oh that's right I remember now. I thought you were in London for some reason.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bessantj posted:

Oh that's right I remember now. I thought you were in London for some reason.

I'd be more forthcoming about my exact location within the Aneurin Bevan Health Board area but I don't want to doxx myself any more than I have already!
I visited London a couple of weeks ago for a few days and I did live in London for about 30 years.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

XMNN posted:

have a guardian article

apparently the way to reduce right wing terrorism is to just give them what they want

love the unironic use of "legitimate concerns"

also his attempt to imply its somehow mostly an economic thing, and not e.g. mostly an "every right-wing newspaper basically being Der stürmer" thing, when they are apparently happy with the austerity party winning

also also the dig at "southern liberals" for being a bit concerned that nazis are pleased with our current government

Does this route work for the left too?

(Of course not)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

XMNN posted:

have a guardian article

Wait "perceived success of the violent Islamists in getting their grievances on the table" is just gonna be repeated twice without challenge? There are only two Islamist attacks that can be remotely considered to be successful, that's 9/11 and Charlie Hebdo, every single other terrorist attack has been actively counter-productive to Islamists because it gives oxygen to normal Muslims denouncing the killing and the trauma brings the local communities together, that dynamic is observable it happens consistently, the distant far-right cunts and the islamist cunts sit online trying to spin it but locally people legitimately come together.

XMNN posted:

Yeah the loving state of top-down discourse in this country. They can't acknowledge that our entire media apparatus is deeply lovely and profoundly part of the problem, and they can only talk about austerity in the past tense because otherwise it would suggest an alternative, it's all just useless poo poo.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

Wait "perceived success of the violent Islamists in getting their grievances on the table" is just gonna be repeated twice without challenge? There are only two Islamist attacks that can be remotely considered to be successful, that's 9/11 and Charlie Hebdo, every single other terrorist attack has been actively counter-productive to Islamists because it gives oxygen to normal Muslims denouncing the killing and the trauma brings the local communities together, that dynamic is observable it happens consistently, the distant far-right cunts and the islamist cunts sit online trying to spin it but locally people legitimately come

The thing about the phrase ‘perceived success’ is that if you add the footnote ‘I.e. as perceived by idiots’, it doesn’t actually change anything. A certain number of people believe something. If they are idiots, that just makes it harder to argue with them, so the belief is less likely to go away.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

People on twitter getting concerned about Michael Rosen. He has the virus and until 2 days ago was posting updates on how he was feeling (not good) but nothing posted now for 2 days.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Disnesquick posted:

Does this route work for the left too?

(Of course not)

I don't think there are popular hard-left organisations like the EDL in the UK.

There are smaller radical groups like eg Class War or Plan C but I wouldn't call them popular; they're not out there trying to capture and mobilise disenfranchised people on a large scale like the right is.

Extinction Rebellion is green, not specifically left.

So who knows.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

People on twitter getting concerned about Michael Rosen. He has the virus and until 2 days ago was posting updates on how he was feeling (not good) but nothing posted now for 2 days.

poo poo. :(

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I was chatting to my old man earlier, turns out that on Friday he got called into the hospital to give last rites to a lady from the village I grew up in. She tested positive for Corona.

Which, considering this is a village of about 5,000 people and the official death toll is 'only' ~1,300 nationwide is a little bit loving terrifying.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
sticola nurgeon

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Purple Prince posted:

I don't think there are popular hard-left organisations like the EDL in the UK.

There are smaller radical groups like eg Class War or Plan C but I wouldn't call them popular; they're not out there trying to capture and mobilise disenfranchised people on a large scale like the right is.

Extinction Rebellion is green, not specifically left.

So who knows.

I'm firmly of the opinion now that electoralism will never work in the UK. It's just too tightly stitched up to keep the powerful powerful. To make any progress the left needs to get back to the direct action of the trade union movement. Hope has failed. Anger is all that's left.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I just double-checked that he's who I was thinking of, and he is, but I hadn't realized he's also the bloke what's in the meme.

Not noice :(

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Disnesquick posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion now that electoralism will never work in the UK. It's just too tightly stitched up to keep the powerful powerful. To make any progress the left needs to get back to the direct action of the trade union movement. Hope has failed. Anger is all that's left.

I mean a popular vanguardist movement against capital and the class system isn't really something that's traditionally grounded in trade unions as such...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Soylent Yellow posted:

Wales has a big urban/rural divide. The big clusters are all in the heavily urbanised southern and northeasten border areas, while cases are relatively light in the rest of the country.

The people I know in Wales seem to mentally divide the country into 'Cardiff' (the only place worth living in) and 'the valleys' (everywhere else).

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Communist Thoughts posted:

this... this might be his best work yet

It’s perfect, he’s like a paperclip maximiser AI except his sole overriding drive is to assuage his ego, and he’s now turning the resources and might of the US entirely over to that goal, holding the country hostage until he gets the adoration he wants.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s perfect, he’s like a paperclip maximiser AI except his sole overriding drive is to assuage his ego, and he’s now turning the resources and might of the US entirely over to that goal, holding the country hostage until he gets the adoration he wants.

He could quite easily win that adoration by getting on a war footing and using his executive powers to mass produce supplies to help fight the virus, so clearly there's something else happening here too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

He could quite easily win that adoration by getting on a war footing and using his executive powers to mass produce supplies to help fight the virus, so clearly there's something else happening here too.

He's a senile narcissistic moron who has never really worked in his entire life, is what's going on here. He's never received praise for an achievement because he's never achieved anything, and he's never given praise for an achievement because nobody else's achievements matter to him except insofar as they make him look good. Thus, when given unlimited power, rather than use it and earn the praise he wants, he believes that using that power is an engine fuelled by praising him.

If you want it in a nutshell: he's still on the set of The Apprentice, and he just fired three states because he didn't like the governors.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Beefeater1980 posted:

Genuinely surprised he hasn't started ordering some old-school Pharaohnic monuments to himself be built. Maybe he assumes the adoring public will do it themselves?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Purple Prince posted:

I mean a popular vanguardist movement against capital and the class system isn't really something that's traditionally grounded in trade unions as such...

Someone needs to revisit historical docu-game Kaiserreich. :colbert:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh ffs I'd been keeping tabs on him last week but hadn't checked Twitter over the weekend to see he'd not posted.

He better pull through, one of my absolute favourite humans.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ms Adequate posted:

Genuinely surprised he hasn't started ordering some old-school Pharaohnic monuments to himself be built. Maybe he assumes the adoring public will do it themselves?

The Wall, but since it was his idea it was both impossible and he lacked any ability to manage the project.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

If Starmer appoints that horror show of neoliberals technocrats I can’t see the value of remaining in Labour.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pistol_Pete posted:

The people I know in Wales seem to mentally divide the country into 'Cardiff' (the only place worth living in) and 'the valleys' (everywhere else).

You know some fuckin weirdos then, butt.

Cardiff and the valleys are the same region to the rest of Wales. The latter is practically the poor part of town.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Filboid Studge posted:

If Starmer appoints that horror show of neoliberals technocrats I can’t see the value of remaining in Labour.

Don't really see how it's possible to stick with the policy continuity pledges he made with that cabinet. Maybe we'll be reliant on the deputy to run interference for us in a strange reversal of the Tom Watson days!

I gave him my second preference to keep out Nandy, but probably should have just withdrawn it entirely. :( Although I do like his decision to not go for people who've been all over the media lately - at least that should keep out the biggest wreckers, who may have been brought into Nandy's inner circle.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Filboid Studge posted:

Wait for them to fail and then vote for the next actual leftist candidate for leader?

It's not ideal but I just don't see a new left wing party rising up and becoming viable

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Paperhouse posted:

Wait for them to fail and then vote for the next actual leftist candidate for leader?

It's not ideal but I just don't see a new left wing party rising up and becoming viable

I’d rather give my dues to someone doing useful community organizing than Rachel ‘the problem with the DWP is that it’s too kind’ Reeves. At that point it’s not a factional disagreement, it’s a moral disgust equivalent to what pushed me away from Labour in 2003.

I don’t insist on leftist leadership. I would support a soc-dem (I did, his name is Jeremy). I will not support a neoliberal party.

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 30, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
How does she compare with Rachel Riley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

How does she compare with Rachel Riley

Well, she’s not quite on the far right, she’s just that weird definition of “soft left” that includes Blue Labour, who imo are red-brownist