Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely if you buy several disc magnets in increasing sizes you can make your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

......It's magnets up his bum, isn't it.

Look if you can think of a quicker and easier way of getting rid of the nose magnets than to pull them down into his stomach for eventual expulsion I can't wait to hear it.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Mocking this dude is really mean-spirited. Every year dozens of doctors end up in casualty with amateur telescopes jammed up their bums, but you don't see anyone taking the piss out of them now do you?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Wachter posted:

Mocking this dude is really mean-spirited. Every year dozens of doctors end up in casualty with amateur telescopes jammed up their bums, but you don't see anyone taking the piss out of them now do you?

That's just because we haven't been aware of it, tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Miftan is still alive :toot:

I was getting worried this past few days and hoped you were just insanely busy with whatever it is that happens when the country falls into disorganized chaos.

e: or

Miftan posted:

new Animal Crossing is out on the 20th.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Answers Me posted:

What's the Ethically Correct way to buy books at the moment? I don't really want to support a system that forces warehouse workers, delivery drivers etc to put themselves in danger by carrying on working, but I kinda need to pick some things up for my own work (and also I'm going to be bored as gently caress in my spare time.

Look up my local independent bookstore and see if they're doing postal deliveries? Again, I'm torn between wanting to support them and forcing them to work unnecessarily. Stick to e-books for a while?

I’ve used hive.co.uk as you can give some of the profits to your local independent bookstore to keep them open

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So I've just got off the phone with my boss who has informed me that I'm being made redundant on the same day that notices being sent out to everyone else about being furloughed under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. I've not had any written communication yet about this. I've not received any written or verbal warnings about either behaviour or performance during my period of employment. Unfortunately I've only been working there for a year and a half. Is there anything I can do?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Miftan posted:

Do you know how hard it is to get a magnet with a flared base?

Google image search brings up a lot of interesting magnet shapes, unfortunately they're only for roadmarkers.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Look if you can think of a quicker and easier way of getting rid of the nose magnets than to pull them down into his stomach for eventual expulsion I can't wait to hear it.

:lol:

Wachter posted:

"Accidentally tripped and fell while stargazing."
Or
:dadjoke: "Accidentally tripped and fell while searching for Uranu-":suicide:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Unfortunately I've only been working there for a year and a half. Is there anything I can do?

Are you in a Union? What justification did they give for getting rid of you? What's your contract say about terms of notice, etc?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

smh if you can't get a 50p in there and out again.

I don't think shaking your head would help much.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I was gonna say do you think once the labour right wins power again they will mysteriously find that purging is actually easy?
But I don't think they even need to purge anyone do they? 5 years later they still control like 75% of the MPs

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyone know if the theory (/fervent hope/delusion) that coronavirus spreads much less well in warm weather is true? It smells to me like another facet of the "It's just the flu" just-so story.

A bloke at work I bump into sometimes and have to make smalltalk with said back in January that it wouldn't come here and that it was only spreading in China because of their "tropical" climate. The pictures of Wuhan on the news at the time showed snow everywhere. He apparently did more of his unique kind of research and concluded instead that the virus was a bioweapon developed by "the chinkies" to lower the world's population because :butt:. Mercifully I suffered a prolapsed spinal disc and went off work at the start of March so I'm out of the loop now

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
UKMT: Mercifully I suffered a prolapse

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Prince Charles is out of isolation because apparently after 7 days you're not infectious any more?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

sassassin posted:

Prince Charles is out of isolation because apparently after 7 days you're not infectious any more?

that actually, insanely, is the genuine advice the government is giving yes

covid only lasts 7 days and masks make the spread worse

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

fridge corn posted:

So I've just got off the phone with my boss who has informed me that I'm being made redundant on the same day that notices being sent out to everyone else about being furloughed under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. I've not had any written communication yet about this. I've not received any written or verbal warnings about either behaviour or performance during my period of employment. Unfortunately I've only been working there for a year and a half. Is there anything I can do?

Check your initial contract if you have it to hand. I'd get it down in writing and also ask why you were being made redundant and would they reconsider you being a furloughed worker as the government would pay 80% of your wage rather than them? (Seems a bit cunty of them but anyway) -

You need at least a weeks notice if you've been working there less than 2 years, which is also paid. You're also entitled to a 'consultancy' with them that should have happened weeks ago if they were planning on letting you go.

Check the TUC website and see if you have any unions within your place of work: https://www.tuc.org.uk/workplace-guidance/redundancy

Also consider making a GDPR request around your personal information regarding how it was decided you were made redundant

Good luck!

justcola fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 30, 2020

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Two tweets that give an idea of just how much this government has hosed our healthcare workers:

https://twitter.com/AndrewBloch/status/1244333354679443456

https://twitter.com/kp104_/status/1244359867009245184

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

E: also on labour, you don't have to vote for them even as a member as long as you don't tell anyone... At least staying in gives you some tiny power to influence the direction

And you can still vote for them even if you are not a member.
Sent my resignation late last night. Was going to hang in there through the crisis, but seeing that shitlist of Starmer's yesterday, forget it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

sassassin posted:

Good.

Hope he gives it to his whole wretched family.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
hosed up that Tory MPs get their own special isolation ward.
https://twitter.com/DrIqbalSarwar/status/1244543062505750528

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Tragic news everyone: BrightHouse is in administration...

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Answers Me posted:

Two tweets that give an idea of just how much this government has hosed our healthcare workers:

https://twitter.com/AndrewBloch/status/1244333354679443456

https://twitter.com/kp104_/status/1244359867009245184

There are pictures doing the rounds of clinical staff in New York wearing bin bags. Just fighting a pandemic in a makeshift halloween costume :spooky:

Pablo Bluth posted:

I hope people get to keep their stuff

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Communist Thoughts posted:

I was gonna say do you think once the labour right wins power again they will mysteriously find that purging is actually easy?
But I don't think they even need to purge anyone do they? 5 years later they still control like 75% of the MPs

Yeah, they might purge a few of the Militant vets and SWP perverts who rejoined under Corbyn out of principle but they won't need a large scale purge, they'll just change the rules to reduce the importance of the membership in a leadership contest, like copying the Tories where the MPs are the ones who whittle down the contest to just 2 choices before the members vote.

The complete lack of ruthlessness really counts against Corbyn and his people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

7 days *without symptoms*, isn't it? I was sure they were saying he was showing mild symptoms when he tested positive, too.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Pablo Bluth posted:

yay

The Beeb posted:

BrightHouse customers, about a third of whom are in work, will continue with payments, even if the company goes into administration

boo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

justcola posted:

Check your initial contract if you have it to hand. I'd get it down in writing and also ask why you were being made redundant and would they reconsider you being a furloughed worker as the government would pay 80% of your wage rather than them? (Seems a bit cunty of them but anyway) -

You need at least a weeks notice if you've been working there less than 2 years, which is also paid. You're also entitled to a 'consultancy' with them that should have happened weeks ago if they were planning on letting you go.

Check the TUC website and see if you have any unions within your place of work: https://www.tuc.org.uk/workplace-guidance/redundancy

Also consider making a GDPR request around your personal information regarding how it was decided you were made redundant

Good luck!

Thank you. Good information

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

A third of whom are real people and not benefits scroungers!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

7 days *without symptoms*, isn't it? I was sure they were saying he was showing mild symptoms when he tested positive, too.

There are reports of viral shedding for up to 37 days post-infection.

Maybe Charles is getting tired of waiting for the throne.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nope. From the bbc:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
They probably have the queen and the frankenduke locked up in luxury clean rooms

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

OzyMandrill posted:

Nope. From the bbc:

gutteral screaming noise

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
We're hosed.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Miftan is still alive :toot:

I was getting worried this past few days and hoped you were just insanely busy with whatever it is that happens when the country falls into disorganized chaos.

e: or

Half that and half planning a D&D game, which we'll hopefully be streaming/recording for the pod to amuse people in quarantine.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

When do the deliveroo people realise that they are worth their weight in gold right now and strike

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/balazscseko/status/1244612142831198209?s=21

Hungary has made its dictatorship official.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sounds like people aren't actually that infectious after 8-10 days of showing symptoms, based on a German study. In mild cases, anyway. If you develop pneumonia and worse symptoms that infectious period is longer.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/09...ecovery-begins/

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

josh04 posted:

gutteral screaming noise

I have no lungs but I must scream.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Reichstag plague

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

That's got to be them thrown out of the EU, surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

That's got to be them thrown out of the EU, surely?

I envy your optimism.