Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Anyone heard owt from Jabby? I hope he's ok and just working his arse of saving lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

twoot posted:

For COVID ICU patients with severe pneumonia the ventilators have to operate at very near the physiological limits of our lungs wrt oxygenation/pressure.

The challenge for manufacturers isn't "can we build a ventilator quickly", it's "can we build a ventilator quickly that behaves within the same precise safety specifications of existing models". A new-design ventilator that accidentally ruptures the lungs of 1/100 patients is a non-starter.
Serious question: Why? If someone's certainly going to die without a ventilator, why isn't it better that they have a ventilator with a 1% chance of killing them than no ventilator at all?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

big scary monsters posted:

Do you ever notice, when you watch TV from the Before Times, how crazily close together everyone stands?

Well yeah, they didn't have to do social distancing

e: :doh:

Wachter fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 30, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Do you ever notice, when you watch TV from the Before Times, how crazily close together everyone stands?

All of the F.R.I.E.N.D.S., splashing about in a public fountain, flopping all over each other in a public cafe. Making love to each other in increasingly complicated combinations. Disgusting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't forget they are addressing the whole nation: average reading age 12, ability to understand percentages small, and comprehension of a graph, minute. I'm not being an intellectual snob here, this is reality.

I learned as manager of a department reporting information to senior board members of a national organisation that (a) a lot of senior management staff cannot understand a graph, and (b) there is no way they are going to admit it.

I ended up telling my analysts that they were not to release a graph into the wilds outside our department without putting 3 clear bullet points on that graph as to why it was interesting. "But it's obvious" my analysts would say to me, "to you, yes, to most other people, no."
Reading *comprehension* age of 12. They can understand plenty of words, but can't string them together into coherent narratives.

I'd be interested in how the distribution on that looks though, because it still seems shockingly low.

Failed Imagineer posted:

This sent my mind on a tangent wondering whether Limmy's "charity-do" tweets are coded messages about nonceing. I guess this is what QAnon brain must be like.

Also if Limmy dies of the Big C(orona) , who's going to do the tweet for him :ohdear:
The Charity Commission.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Serious question: Why? If someone's certainly going to die without a ventilator, why isn't it better that they have a ventilator with a 1% chance of killing them than no ventilator at all?

Isn't this an real ongoing medical legal & ethical question? Like whether asprin should be proscribed to people with high heart attack risk, because whilst on the balance it saves lives it also causes the occassional death in itself?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Seriously the way this is loving with perception of normality is unreal. Last night I had a dream and it was a perfectly mundane one about being lost in an airport and then being on a crowded bus, but then current reality intruded on my brain and I became hyper-aware of how close everyone was and I woke up with the same sort of feeling you have after a particularly intense nightmare.

edit: A couple of days ago I was reading a story and two characters shook hands and I viscerally shuddered.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrgCYK9xrRw

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Julio Cruz posted:

my local Tesco Extra had at least some of everything except for flour (but I didn't check the booze aisles)

We popped in to the local super store this evening (about 7pm) and it was like night and day compared to the same time last Friday. Almost all the shelves were full and there was an abundance of things like hand sanitiser and toilet paper.

Either the initial surge is over, the shops have figured out better supply chains or a Monday evening is the best time to go grocery shopping.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Reading *comprehension* age of 12. They can understand plenty of words, but can't string them together into coherent narratives.

I'd be interested in how the distribution on that looks though, because it still seems shockingly low.

Yes, sure. Comprehension can be higher than reading age.
Something like the Guardian has a reading age of 17.
I've never found a distribution of reading ages (a nice graph for example :D ), but general reading around gives me the impression that 50% will fall between 9-13 years. And there are various different systems of measurement too. I worked with a Croatian translator once - she would translate from Croatian to English, then I would go over it, and we used to push the work through a reading age assessment tool (which I can't find now) which would grade the translations against the different systems.

I had a bit of a go at Welsh labour a couple of years ago because they produced a load of documents for sharing round the membership which looked nicely presented in big font, bullet points, colour schemes, but were obviously written by a post-grad with long sentences written in the passive voice. Our members are regular people too.

I pushed my two paragraphs above into a grading tool (https://www.online-utility.org/english/readability_test_and_improve.jsp ) and this was the result

Indication of the number of years of formal education that a person requires in order to easily understand the text on the first reading
Gunning Fog index: 12.13
Approximate representation of the U.S. grade level needed to comprehend the text:
Coleman Liau index: 9.84
Flesch Kincaid Grade level: 10.26
ARI (Automated Readability Index): 10.55
SMOG: 11.66

I think US grades 10-12 correspond to UK Years 10-12 so ages 15-17?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Shyrka posted:

Seriously the way this is loving with perception of normality is unreal. Last night I had a dream and it was a perfectly mundane one about being lost in an airport and then being on a crowded bus, but then current reality intruded on my brain and I became hyper-aware of how close everyone was and I woke up with the same sort of feeling you have after a particularly intense nightmare.

edit: A couple of days ago I was reading a story and two characters shook hands and I viscerally shuddered.

It really is a golden age for any individual who is neurotic about personal space and who despises customs involving bodily contact :catstare:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Shyrka posted:

Yeah it's been a shocking change - completely normal behaviour up until about a month ago seems very strange now.

I've also noticed there are a lot more statisticians and medical experts around these days than I ever realised existed! Many of them posting on Twitter, in my Facebook feed, on these very forums...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I highly recommend tiger king on netflix for anyone needing a completely insane documentary to watch

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jose posted:

I highly recommend tiger king on netflix for anyone needing a completely insane documentary to watch

Yeah it's really good. I hate carol.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Jose posted:

Tiger King is a must watch. I also recommend The Platform, although it's wildly different

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah it's really good. I hate carol.

She did it

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Jose posted:

I remember seeing him in the Louis Theroux doc and I thought he couldn't get any more mental.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

moostaffa posted:

She did it

She totally did. I mainly couldn't get over how dumb and useless everyone was and yet they all seemed to have endless piles of money or I suppose lines of credit.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

She totally did. I mainly couldn't get over how dumb and useless everyone was and yet they all seemed to have endless piles of money or I suppose lines of credit.

Two of them used literal slave labour and the other had an army of volunteers.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52096049

We've sent it packing, boys! Only a 50% increase in hospitalised cases since Friday, and if you squint hard at the graphs there's a wiggle in the rate of infection that's definitely not insignificant. Enough social distancing. Time for a bit of fun.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

Endjinneer posted:

We've sent it packing, boys! Only a 50% increase in hospitalised cases since Friday, and if you squint hard at the graphs there's a wiggle in the rate of infection that's definitely not insignificant. Enough social distancing. Time for a bit of fun.

V for Virus!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Endjinneer posted:

quote:

After the daily number of deaths fell for the second day, he also cautioned against paying "too much attention" to day-to-day fluctuations in figures, explaining "we need to look over time and see what's happening".

lol theyr absolutely faking it

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52099578

Michael Rosen is very unwell, but stable.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Remember when we moved this year's early May bank holiday so that people could have VE-Day street parties.

Unfortunate.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

blunt posted:

Remember when we moved this year's early May bank holiday so that people could have VE-Day street parties.

Unfortunate.

I must have missed that, I had no idea!

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

blunt posted:

Unfortunate.

You still can. The only problem is that social distancing means that you need the entire length of the M6 for your street party.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Is there any reason to believe we're being given accurate numbers of cases and deaths by the government after the weird noises they made about family consent last week?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He was def a drug smuggler though

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Is there any reason to believe we're being given accurate numbers of cases and deaths by the government after the weird noises they made about family consent last week?

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1244595824601989123?s=21

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

The ventilator equivalent of that metal lump that stops the track pins falling out of a T34 by repeatedly whacking them back in each time the track goes round.

Where could I read up about that quirk?

If they significantly change the approach mid way then yeah, you can throw any trends going across that divide out of the window...

All numbers we're getting right now are provisional. The brouhaha about some of the counting quirks in Spain and elsewhere isn't unexpected. Most people are poorly educated about what the current death statistics actually mean and how limited they are. The current global death toll is an undercount.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Endjinneer posted:

There's a statue of this in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. I have no idea why

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It turned out that guy sucked massively too.

I also concur with the general aptitude of the population stuff, I worked a blue collar job for a decade where everyone I worked with had passed plenty of assessments to stay in a job but if anyone saw me reading something that wasn't a red top there was wide spread incredulity that anyone would do that. Not to say there werent intelligent people there (indeed there were people there who made me feel very dense) but the majority weren't interested and could barely tell you anything about current affairs except the football.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jose posted:

He was def a drug smuggler though

Yeah. That's the beauty of the programme though. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, another level of depravity.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I wonder what the average SA forumgoer reading comprehension level is.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's 69.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

^Nice.

The Platform is good stuff for anyone looking for something to watch.

Especially considering it was completely non-consensual!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Munin posted:

I wonder what the average SA forumgoer reading comprehension level is.

Forumgoer isn't a word. Also I think it's bad to end a sentence with is

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I just watched Dangal. That's a definite pro choice watch. Joy and happiness all round as well as female empowerment.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Commemorating the only time a matelot got some without money being involved.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

^Nice.

The Platform is good stuff for anyone looking for something to watch.

Just finished watching this, it was good. Samuel Beckett + The Cube + Snowpiercer/Parasite + The Raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Munin posted:

Where could I read up about that quirk?

It's not really that in depth, the track pins aren't held in by anything so over time they work loose, they fixed it by welding a V shaped lump to the hull behind the track, as the pin goes past if it's sticking out it hits the metal and get knocked back in, but you can still pull them out anywhere else on the track if you want to, they just don't come loose over a single revolution so the whacker is enough to fix it.

Over time it'll wear out and it probably doesn't do the pins any good but lol if you think a T34 is going to survive that long.

There's a picture of it here and you can see all the dings knocked out of it by the pins.

http://www.livesteammodels.co.uk/dhmg/tracks.html

Oh also I guess one downside it it goes clangclangclangclang when you drive it but it's a tank so that doesn't matter much.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 30, 2020