Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

food court bailiff posted:

ps now, which is basically google stadia except it's been around for years and has actual customers and stuff
PS Now is available only in select territories. Thought you were talking about PCSX4, the emulator with better copy protection than the actual console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I thought PCSX4 was a straight-up scam or something.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

poverty goat posted:

a lot of these hot take first reactions from a mall a few years ago are based on early hardware that really made you nauseous with stupid game demos like the rollercoaster that were designed to make you nauseous and things have come a long way since then. still expensive but pc gaming being expensive if you want it to be isn't a VR exclusive thing either

StabMasterArson posted:

Everyone who hates VR played it once like 5 years ago and clearly it must be the same now

I guess this is the comforting narrative VR diehards have decided on.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I once played a VR battle mech game in like 1997 at an Internet cafe, and it was insanely bad

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

the only headset I've ever owed was a gearvr that came free w/ my phone

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the Virtual Boy set vr back 3 decades

thanks Nintendo

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I once saw the last virtual boy in the mall for sale marked all the way down to like $20, and my mom talked me out of buying it. Not doing so may be my oldest deeply-held regret.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

poverty goat posted:

ME1 was very unconstrained and experimental in an old-school kind of Morrowind way where you could crack open the game like an egg with one build and find that your dude is totally useless with the wrong build. The best build is an adept imo because in me1 their abilities don't share cooldowns and can be used immediately on any target, bosses included, because there are no shields to burn through. So instead of every class being a gunshooter with cooldowns that are irrelevant at the start of combat like me2, you can be a pure space wizard and neglect your gun skills because you spend the whole fight picking up enemies and slamming them helplessly against the floor while your Bros shoot them, even the bosses.
See, I honestly found all the classes fo be pretty well balanced in ME1, if you choose a more shooting orientated guy, just pick squadmates who have good powers. You can even disable the AI's usage of them, and direct it all yourself.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Check out this sweet VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ZANqNU5mA

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I used a top of the line (at the time) VR rig at my company about a year ago and it was one of the most underwhelming experiences Ive ever had. I think racing, pilot, and DDR-esque games could be extremely well served but any game where the player avatar moves through physical space was dissapointing as all get out. Also its probably just me but it occassional felt Wii-esque when needing to aim and thats not a good thing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

I used a top of the line (at the time) VR rig at my company about a year ago and it was one of the most underwhelming experiences Ive ever had. I think racing, pilot, and DDR-esque games could be extremely well served but any game where the player avatar moves through physical space was dissapointing as all get out. Also its probably just me but it occassional felt Wii-esque when needing to aim and thats not a good thing

With the Rift S I’m able to point shoot in games like H3VR so I think the actual care the devs put into it is more of a limitation than the hardware. There’s some games where it’s definitely more :effort: and I can’t hit the broad side of a barn naturally.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

poverty goat posted:

Work from home but you have to have your VR headset on from 9-5 except for a 30 minute lunch break. You spend the day in a low-poly rendering of your office with your coworkers' identical default uncanny valley avatars. That one coworker gets up and you hear him microwaving leftover fish and you can still smell it, in your mind, just like in the real office.

I HAD THAT GUY

I HAD A GUY WHO WOULD MICROWAVE SPAGHETTI WITH OILY FISH EVERY loving DAY

TOO REAL

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's a hell of a combo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I once played a VR battle mech game in like 1997 at an Internet cafe, and it was insanely bad

Lol I played that as well. Glorious 3 Frames per second.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Fartbox posted:

The FPS genre has dived off a cliff straight into the bottom of the sea

Only the new doom games are worth playing. Everything else is some version of call of duty or some mind numbing open world shooter garbage

You can still play your old games, fortunately.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

You're apparently supposed to kill 3 priests of hell to stop the invasion of Earth. Okay so Doomguy kills the first one on sight, great, we're in high form. Then he encounters the next two and just sort of walks around them while they talk at him for 5 minutes, and then he lets them escape. What the gently caress is this poo poo?

He can't kill them unless he has some kind of medal. The first one explains this actually, that his soul is protected and Doomguy can't hurt him. Doomguy then shows him the medal and the totally freaks out (before doomguy kills him)

He doesn't have the medals for the other two at the point where he meets them. He gets them from their protectors (the bosses before each of them).

And I agree, none of this should be in a Doom game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The cutscenes in Doom Eternal are there so you can remember go take a dump/piss.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sheen Sheen posted:

The original trilogy at its lowest point is still Mount Everest compared to Andromeda (not an unpopular opinion, but still warrants mentioning)

But if you want an unpopular Mass Effect opinion, I’ll give you two for the price of one

1. The first game was the best game in the series
2. ManShep > FemShep

Those are just straight up facts, though.

Biohazard is a much better name and changing it to Resident Evil was just stupid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

poverty goat posted:

ME1 was very unconstrained and experimental in an old-school kind of Morrowind way where you could crack open the game like an egg with one build and find that your dude is totally useless with the wrong build. The best build is an adept imo because in me1 their abilities don't share cooldowns and can be used immediately on any target, bosses included, because there are no shields to burn through. So instead of every class being a gunshooter with cooldowns that are irrelevant at the start of combat like me2, you can be a pure space wizard and neglect your gun skills because you spend the whole fight picking up enemies and slamming them helplessly against the floor while your Bros shoot them, even the bosses.

The only class in me3 is the vanguard, because with charge and Nova they actually have all the skills required to just disregard the awful cover system.

The Adept is the best because you can max out lift and put things into orbit. Also, the biggest geth critters could get lifted while you shot the hell out of them. As an adept, you max pistols and then get the top end spectre pistol (which is the best gun in the game) and you just go crazy with a machine gun. It's easily the best combo in the game.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Those are just straight up facts, though.

Biohazard is a much better name and changing it to Resident Evil was just stupid.

Resident evil has multiple layers of meaning though.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Biohazard is a generic poo poo name

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Clearly a game name isn't good unless it's like 5 levels of entendre

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I tried to think of a game name that isn't poo poo, boring, or wank and there aren't that many.

But then I realized I dont care and neither do other sane people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tennis For Two is the best game name, and sadly its all been downhill since then

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Japanese adventure game names should be out-lawed. They're all Sommelier Önönöö Ablative Sodomance of Ätätää NexoKnights 3.33,4 Sisters of Brothers no densetsu OK Yipper! and even though I know I don't have to play them it irks me to know they exist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Resident Evil is the kind of goofy meaningless but catchy name that makes for a good franchise title. (also, importantly, it's trademarkable)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Play posted:

They weren't even there in the first place, just hologrammed in. Doomguy knew this. There's that explained.

Sorry but the game says they've physically gathered there with the Khan Makyr

tuo posted:

He can't kill them unless he has some kind of medal. The first one explains this actually, that his soul is protected and Doomguy can't hurt him. Doomguy then shows him the medal and the totally freaks out (before doomguy kills him)

He doesn't have the medals for the other two at the point where he meets them. He gets them from their protectors (the bosses before each of them).

And I agree, none of this should be in a Doom game.

That makes a little more sense. But it would have been cool if the game had illustrated this by having Doomguy shotgun the gently caress out of one of them or something, only for him to shrug it off or get mutilated but then immediately reassmeble. That would be very DOOM. But instead Doomguy does this weird strut-around thing like an idiot. Did Bethesda fire whoever did the story for DOOM16?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Resident Evil is the kind of goofy meaningless but catchy name that makes for a good franchise title. (also, importantly, it's trademarkable)
And it lets them call the new one resident threevil

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The 333rd Resident Evil game will be called R3sid3nt 3vil.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Sorry but the game says they've physically gathered there with the Khan Makyr

That makes a little more sense. But it would have been cool if the game had illustrated this by having Doomguy shotgun the gently caress out of one of them or something, only for him to shrug it off or get mutilated but then immediately reassmeble. That would be very DOOM. But instead Doomguy does this weird strut-around thing like an idiot. Did Bethesda fire whoever did the story for DOOM16?

The person who wrote 2016's codexs and ambient stuff was a contractor who did not return for the sequel, but I dont know if the main story lead

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The name owns because it suggests the presence of some dark sinister force lurking beneath otherwise ordinary living spaces, which reflects at least the first couple games in the series and RE7. It's also way cooler to announce than shouting some lame cliched title like BIOHAZARD when you hit the start button.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

"Playstation" is a pretty dumb and simple name too but it's not as though Xbox Series X is better

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Waltzing Along posted:

The Adept is the best because you can max out lift and put things into orbit. Also, the biggest geth critters could get lifted while you shot the hell out of them. As an adept, you max pistols and then get the top end spectre pistol (which is the best gun in the game) and you just go crazy with a machine gun. It's easily the best combo in the game.

it amazing then that in practice this was really boring though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is the X in Xbox pronounced like the X in Xanadu or like the X in connexion?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
samus is a man

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dolphin posted:

samus is a man

No spoilers please!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, have a missed an interesting glorified tech demo I should have played by now or something, VR fans?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Zelda is a strange name for an elf boy

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is the X in Xbox pronounced like the X in Xanadu or like the X in connexion?

like when europeans type out laughter with a guttural throat clearing sound mixed in: "xaxaxa"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The worst game name is Elf Breeding Farm btw