Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Goons. Stop giving out lovely medical advice.

edit: good snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mask chat is like the worst.

drat you!!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chicken Butt posted:

As one of the commenters on the Twitter thread pointed out, “Too bad there aren’t any empty hotel rooms nearby.”

I think this photo has nearly broken me. It’s like a very dark satire aimed at a completely broken and vicious society.

"The mask of humanity fall from capital. It has to take it off to kill everyone -- everything you love; all the hope and tenderness in the word. It has to take it off, just for one second. To do the deed." -- Sun Tzu

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Spazzle posted:

The problem is the normal human temp is below 98.6, not above.

Since I was a kid, which was the last time my temperature was measured, anything between 36º and 38º Celsius was regarded normal. Human body temperature can vary considerably during the day, depending on activity, consumption, mood.

Anyway, if you have a real fever, you will know it without thermometer as well.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

pentyne posted:

Translation: We picked the studies we liked that support our idea even though they were a small minority, its clearly common sense.

Also, they dug in on the "Asian countries wear masks ergo masks work" which completely contradicts the early mentioned point that wearing masks alone isn't effective. Pretty sure Korea and Japan's social and govt health polices like shutting down asap, mass testing, contact tracing etc. were a bit more significant then just "covered mouth for when cough"

This is why it becoming nigh impossible to try and explain science to people. Some journo or twitter persona summarizes a bunch of complex medical studies into some buzzworthy click-bait and suddenly they are speaking truth to power, anyone questioning the validity of the click-bait is suddenly forced to provide 10 perfect examples to disprove it or they're laughed at.

"Oh yeah, so why do healthcare workers need masks? Ergo I'm right all humans need masks at all times" the hoi polloi can never understand the idea that not everyone is living the exact same existence with the exact same set of risks and benefits and shockingly someone in a high risk situation needs something at the expense of someone in a low risk situation.

Lol Japan didn’t do any of that poo poo.

Also wear masks dumbass

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Well, if it was Coronavirus it was mild as gently caress.

Ran a low fever for four days. Severe body aches, so I sat in the bath with my wife’s overpriced bath bombs from Lush (gently caress, they’re great and I will never complain about that expense again). Bad headache that lasted about three days and one day of light coughing.

The worst was the occasional cough made my right eye feel like it would pop outta my skull. Only lasted a day though.

Roni? Flu? Who knows! Definitely not just anxiety, as there’s a fever involved (100.2 for four days).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gianthogweed posted:

Global Warming will save us from covid19

I agree.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Ran a low fever for four days. Severe body aches, so I sat in the bath with my wife’s overpriced bath bombs from Lush (gently caress, they’re great and I will never complain about that expense again). Bad headache that lasted about three days and one day of light coughing.

The worst was the occasional cough made my right eye feel like it would pop outta my skull. Only lasted a day though.

Roni? Flu? Who knows! Definitely not just anxiety, as there’s a fever involved (100.2 for four days).

So let me get this straight, you're telling me that a goon bathed, possibly on more than one consecutive days in a row, and lived?
Can we STOP spreading this bullshit? Mods??

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol Japan didn’t do any of that poo poo.

Also wear masks dumbass

HK only started shut down theme parks and schools during the first wave. It's only been 6 days since the airport effectively closed and 2 days since closing gyms, cinemas and arcades. Mass testing isn't available here like Korea, but contact tracing has been pretty effective in stopping further spread. Government policies towards the crisis looks amazing in light of Trump, but things like working from home weren't enacted by the gvmt, doctors and nurses had to protest in order to get them to shut down transport links to China at the peak of the first wave and even now there are still ways to get in from the mainland.

So really I would weigh masks (and hand sanitizers) as being very loving useful when you need to go out and they are readily available in supply. Obviously that isn't an option for most people, masks were nowhere to be found in January that I ended up getting a respirator and some N95s from Amazon that shipped out 6 weeks later.

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 31, 2020

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Not to be alarmist but there's some anecdotes that a few infections can have a short remission period followed by worsening symptoms and lung issues. Keep an eye out for increasing chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, exhaustion during activities etc. in the next few days/week or so. Probably won't happen but just be aware.

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 31, 2020

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

pentyne posted:

Translation: We picked the studies we liked that support our idea even though they were a small minority, its clearly common sense.

Also, they dug in on the "Asian countries wear masks ergo masks work" which completely contradicts the early mentioned point that wearing masks alone isn't effective. Pretty sure Korea and Japan's social and govt health polices like shutting down asap, mass testing, contact tracing etc. were a bit more significant then just "covered mouth for when cough"

This is why it becoming nigh impossible to try and explain science to people. Some journo or twitter persona summarizes a bunch of complex medical studies into some buzzworthy click-bait and suddenly they are speaking truth to power, anyone questioning the validity of the click-bait is suddenly forced to provide 10 perfect examples to disprove it or they're laughed at.

"Oh yeah, so why do healthcare workers need masks? Ergo I'm right all humans need masks at all times" the hoi polloi can never understand the idea that not everyone is living the exact same existence with the exact same set of risks and benefits and shockingly someone in a high risk situation needs something at the expense of someone in a low risk situation.
You chose an interesting block of text to bold, considering it was followed by something that seemed to support their point pretty well.

Unless mask wearers in the non-beneficial studies they cite diligently washed their hands before touching their faces/removing their masks/etc., they could have been negating any mask benefit. Science Is Hard, science that involves human behavior even moreso. If they were relying on self-reported compliance then loving lol. Self-report studies got us obviously laughable (but widely touted by a particular ring of dipshits) conclusions like "obese people say they eat the same number of calories as thin people, ergo calories don't matter," because overall people are crap at self-awareness, and because way too many scientists fetishize dubious statistics like p-values instead of much more useful ones like Bayesian probabilities.

Also, since researchers seem to agree that masks help prevent transmission of this virus if you ARE sick, and since people can be highly infectious without knowing they're sick, it seems like wearing a mask is good policy.

Overall, if I have to hedge one way or the other, I'll wear a mask, because the cost of being wrong if I wear a mask is basically nil (assuming I keep up good hand hygiene/don't remove it without washing my hands/etc.). The cost of being wrong if I don't wear a mask because ~studies~ might be quite high, especially given that I already know how difficult it is to study this properly. I don't want to drown in my own pulmonary fluid, and I don't want to catch this bug and pass it on to my asthmatic wife either.

I mean, as of not that long ago (dunno if this is still the case), there weren't even any good studies showing that flossing was beneficial. I still floss.

Neophyte posted:

Not to be alarmist but there's some anecdotes that a few infections can have a short remission period followed by worsening symptoms and lung issues. Keep an eye out for increasing chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, exhaustion during activities etc. in the next few days/week or so. Probably won't happen but just be aware.
Yeah, I just listened to a podcast today featuring a doc in New York. He said that the second week after symptom onset is when it seems to get real bad for a lot of people.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 31, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I don't get the point of maskchat when everyday we hear about how medical personnel are going to run out of PPE

like yes in an ideal world we would all get to wear masks 24/7 but this is the post-escalator hellworld, folks

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Links to DIY mask-making instructions have been posted like a trillion times in this thread. Yeah, save surgical masks and N95s for healthcare workers. But wear and make your own.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pentyne posted:

It doesn't have to be at the expense of anyone. They even recommend masks made from t-shirts. There is no shortage of t-shirts. No one has advised us to save the good thick t-shirts for healthcare workers.

Likewise, old fashioned cloth surgical masks take nothing from healthcare workers if you make them yourself or buy them off Etsy. If a hospital wants cloth masks they just need to ask and volunteers will make a bundle just for them.

There are no certified N95 masks in local stores, and haven't been for weeks. Nobody is taking gear that would be better off reserved for healthcare workers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jostiband posted:

idiotic normies: lmao, what's with this puny CFR? only dumb gay babies care about this flu
roguelike players: :stonklol:

I know this is a zero effort meme, but it’s better than maskgate.

https://twitter.com/fujyno/status/1238155063283142656

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Anyway, if you have a real fever, you will know it without thermometer as well.

Truth. I can always tell if I have a fever because my pee feels hot on the way out.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Truth. I can always tell if I have a fever because my pee feels hot on the way out.

never had this happen, I usually just spray out a cloud of yellow frost

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I continue to be amazed at the numbers of goons in all the Covid threads who describe a flu-like illness, but its odd, and they cough some days----but not all
And are like, "Gee, maybe it was Covid but maybe not."
:thunk:
It almost surely is. I would assume it is, not enough to go be reckless but like 90% or smth.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Spinz posted:

I continue to be amazed at the numbers of goons in all the Covid threads who describe a flu-like illness, but its odd, and they cough some days----but not all
It almost surely is. I would assume it is, not enough to go be reckless but like 90% or smth.

Uhh, maybe, maybe not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Influenza is not ISIS.

Other viruses didn’t see the novel coronavirus on the horizon and say “whelp, pack it up, y’all”.

The flu inflects others about as readily as the novel coronavirus, and it started with a much larger base of support.

I would still bet heavily on the flu in individual cases.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It would be interesting to see what social distancing has done to the severity of this year's flu season and what germ paranoia will do to it next year.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Spinz posted:

You could be like "hey does anyone have a cold?" in February 2019 and a dozen people per thread would be like "yeah it sucks." Colds still exist.

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Severe body aches, so I sat in the bath with my wife’s overpriced bath bombs from Lush (gently caress, they’re great and I will never complain about that expense again).
Hell yeah, Lush bath bombs are awesome. I only wish they cured coronavirus because I definitely have a year's worth stockpiled

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Spinz posted:

I cough all the time but I assume it's lung cancer

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Trump will get the Coronas but he will bigly fight it off and his plasma will be used to make the serum that will be the basis of the vaccine against the Coronas. The Trumpcine if you will. It will be purchased with the Trumpbux.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Zugzwang posted:

Overall, if I have to hedge one way or the other, I'll wear a mask, because the cost of being wrong if I wear a mask is basically nil (assuming I keep up good hand hygiene/don't remove it without washing my hands/etc.). The cost of being wrong if I don't wear a mask because ~studies~ might be quite high, especially given that I already know how difficult it is to study this properly. I don't want to drown in my own pulmonary fluid, and I don't want to catch this bug and pass it on to my asthmatic wife either.
This. We have an elderly person in the house and me wearing a mask is not a risk nor a bother as all other protocols weigh on me anyhow, but not doing so might kill her.

VERY loving easy math.

Excelzior posted:

I don't get the point of maskchat when everyday we hear about how medical personnel are going to run out of PPE

like yes in an ideal world we would all get to wear masks 24/7 but this is the post-escalator hellworld, folks
It's good that you bring up the question as a lot of people don't read the entire thread and the answers are incredibly simple.

https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/news/2020/covid-19-diymasks

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B9zL5wsl6P6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/reuse-face-mask-coronavirus_l_5e78dbf9c5b63c3b6494ad80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyDtrobkaxg

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hungary just turned into a dictatorship due partly to the coronavirus.

https://twitter.com/balazscseko/status/1244612142831198209

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 31, 2020

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Jesus Christ don’t show that to trump

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Lol if you don't think he plans to cancel the election already.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

i don't understand how "a european country went third reich" news has only 11k retweets

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Mithaldu posted:

i don't understand how "a european country went third reich" news has only 11k retweets

You think most americans know Hungary is in Europe?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

dudeness posted:

:negative:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Spinz posted:

I had a fever and flu like illness after my parents caught it, all of us tested positive for the flu and it went away in a couple days. Boy did that teach us all a loving lesson though, and I no longer head over there and potentially expose them or vice versa.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mithaldu posted:

hungary has been mostly there for years and no one cared

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Ummm obviously because Twitter is still only talking about that astrophysicist who got magnets stuck in his nose and kpop.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dudeness posted:

My friend is a teacher who was educated in Ohio.

She thought London was in Paris.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rolo posted:

My friend is a teacher who was educated in Ohio.

She thought London was in Paris.

A Tale of Two Cities, but the two cities are Rome and Vatican.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Do you have another source than some rando twitter post because :piss:

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Noise Complaint posted:

I had a fever and flu like illness after my parents caught it, all of us tested positive for the flu and it went away in a couple days. Boy did that teach us all a loving lesson though, and I no longer head over there and potentially expose them or vice versa.

About half the people I know got really sick with what was assumed to be the flu shortly after Christmas, including myself. My doctor diagnosed me with Flu A, but several weeks after I got better I was still coughing so I went back to the Doctor, he said it was just post nasal drip and recommended I see an ENT. That appointment got canceled because of the lockdown. I'm not coughing as bad, but it's still there. I'm 99% certain I had just the flu though, not covid. But my sister also got really sick around the same time and the doctors weren't able to diagnose her. She's better now, but she's almost certain she caught an early case of covid and recovered because the symptoms were very similar (although she never had to go on a respirator, but she's still relatively young). I guess we we'll never know for sure if it was, or if any of the other people who got really sick after Christmas was an early undiagnosed case of covid and not the flu. But I wouldn't be surprised.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cacafuego posted:

Do you have another source than some rando twitter post because :piss:

Here's an article from the BBC. Not a lot of people are reporting on it for some reason.

Coronavirus: Hungary government gets sweeping powers

There's not a lot of information out there or specifics I can see at a quick search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Reminder that there are plenty of dictators in waiting eager to use this crisis to turn their countries into totalitarian states.