Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kly posted:

there are lotsa videos you can watch friend. they are reminiscent of wii and kinect videos you saw 6 years ago
the nintendo wii was dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Game looks good. When poo poo hits the fan, I'm tracking VR owners in this very thread, so I can play the game in their blood covered VR headset before the world ends

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kly posted:

there are lotsa videos you can watch friend. they are reminiscent of wii and kinect videos you saw 6 years ago

They're really not though?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The 7th Guest posted:

the nintendo wii was dope

VR is dope too. The sense of depth when watching through the goggles (at least with a Vive) is incredible.

BEAT SABRE FOR LIFE

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Artelier posted:

VR is dope too. BEAT SABRE FOR LIFE

I got to try Rez VR for the first time today and Area X was loving astounding. Did not know I'd have access to a headset but Beat Saber's gonna be a thing I buy before the next go-around.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Kly posted:

Why can't I see any difference between 1080p and 4K on my 1080p monitor? :iiam:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

unlike video games vr is actually good

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hello I love Half Life and have VR and Half-Life: Alyx is the best Half-Life experience Valve has ever created, full stop not even jokes.

It has universal acclaim for a reason and that reason is because it's fantastic. If you get a chance by all means soak up being in the Half-Life universe.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I have no idea if Alyx is good, but I've tried to watch a few youtube videos and the FOV is so constrained I start to get motion sickness. Is that part of the VR experience or a side effect of however the video is captured?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Man, I'm really trying to like Horizon's Gate, but everything outside of the tactical battles and music is pretty underwhelming. Every port is basically the same, the side areas aren't that interesting, and the plot may as well not exist. I joined up with one of the three nations like I was told to do, built up enough fame that they'd pay attention to me, and started getting messages from all over saying "hey you should go to the capital, they're looking for you!" I head over there hoping to finally get some kind of hand-crafted quest or plot event and... I get told that they just want a single semi-uncommon item. Whoopee.

Also, I dunno if I've played too many tactics games or I'm just hanging around the starting area too much, but the battles so far have been pretty one-sided affairs. There's definitely a lot of interesting meat to the class system and a bunch of crazy-rear end-sounding classes later down the line, but everything dies so fast at this point that I don't really feel the need for anything beyond basic attacks, area spells, and one morale-raising buff that seems way more powerful than it should be. Does the game get tougher later?

The battle music has some real fuckin' bangers though, I'll give it that. Getting to listen to more of it might be what's keeping me going right now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I have no idea if Alyx is good, but I've tried to watch a few youtube videos and the FOV is so constrained I start to get motion sickness. Is that part of the VR experience or a side effect of however the video is captured?

The way it's captured. You are only looking at one eye's worth of video.

VR works by giving each one of your eyes its own monitor, rendering separate games on them to convince your brain your eyes are seeing poo poo for real. That's why VR hardware requirements are so high, gotta render two whole feeds at very high refresh rates in order to make VR work. No way to show that on a 2D screen so the capture from someone playing VR is always going to be one eye only.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kly posted:

extremely funny that a week or so after release alyx is proving to be a sub standard fps and the "VR ONLY" aspects are boring ball puzzles
Guess I wasn't far off when I wondered if Valve would really be able to design something that is up to modern FPS standards, given that they haven't made one like fifteen years.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

KakerMix posted:

The way it's captured. You are only looking at one eye's worth of video.

VR works by giving each one of your eyes its own monitor, rendering separate games on them to convince your brain your eyes are seeing poo poo for real. That's why VR hardware requirements are so high, gotta render two whole feeds at very high refresh rates in order to make VR work. No way to show that on a 2D screen so the capture from someone playing VR is always going to be one eye only.

On a side note, I have definitely walked into walls with VR. It's very convincing.

Some games are also like "Stand on tall building and jump off if you want" and even just the standing part can get to people with vertigo, even though the graphics are obviously fake and you can reach down and fell the floor all around you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Artelier posted:

VR is dope too. The sense of depth when watching through the goggles (at least with a Vive) is incredible.

BEAT SABRE FOR LIFE
only problem is i'm stuck with PSVR for now. and every major headset is sold out, and i'm certainly not buying a used headset during the pandemic

(even if i did, it would probably be samsung or WMR because I'm not giving facebook a penny)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally getting around to playing Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Finished the first episode.

Other than being disappointed so far that, so far, someone doesn't have superpowers, I'm enjoying it.

I tried my new Steam Controller for the first time with this game and well...It's kind of awkward. I find myself touching the touchpad absentmindedly because it's where I normally hover my fingers over the buttons, which of course is also the camera control which either spazzes out if your finger even looks at it depending on sensitivity levels.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I really loved Life is Strange, but I cannot fathom playing it again without the superpower gimmick.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Artelier posted:

On a side note, I have definitely walked into walls with VR. It's very convincing.

Some games are also like "Stand on tall building and jump off if you want" and even just the standing part can get to people with vertigo, even though the graphics are obviously fake and you can reach down and fell the floor all around you.

I once saw a demo of a tight rope (maybe it was a board?) between two buildings. A guy was trying to walk over it when a bystander lightly pushed his shoulder. I’ve never heard a grown man scream so loud.

Your brain does incredible things to account for what you are seeing, smelling, hearing, and feeling. If you trick a few of those senses, it will fill in the rest to complete your reality.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I had every reason to dislike Before the Storm, but I think Deck Nine did a really good job. In some ways what they set out to achieve was even harder than the original Life is Strange, since there are no superpowers and everybody knows what's going to happen. Somehow they still managed to make you care about the central relationship between Rachel and Chloe and your decisions still felt meaningful, even without the rewind power. The soundtrack was written by Daughter and it kicks rear end, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB8JkLK7tkY

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Junkie Disease posted:

Im so happy that Swat 4 is getting what looks to be a serious spiritual successor after all these years. I'm still playing Swat 4.

Are you referring to insurgency or something else? I never got into insurgency but I loved swat 4.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I liked Devries as Chloe better than Burch tbh

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are you referring to insurgency or something else? I never got into insurgency but I loved swat 4.

He's assumedly talking about Ready Or Not.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mordja posted:

Welp, that was the quickest I’ve pulled the trigger on a preorder in a long time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Managing Steam Bandwidth During COVID-19 Pandemic

quote:

We know a lot of you (like us here at Valve) are stuck at home right now trying to work or attend school remotely. Or maybe you're just playing a bunch of great games on Steam. Whatever the case may be, we know that with so many people at home trying to get things done at the same time, it can put a stress on your home’s internet bandwidth.

With that in mind, we thought it was a good time to remind everyone of some of the features the Steam client offers relating to downloads, so that you can manage your home bandwidth and help everyone in your house handle this unique situation we all find ourselves in.

Changes to Auto-Updating to Spread Out Peak Load

For games that haven’t been played recently, Steam has already been scheduling updates for the next off-peak local time period. Beginning this week, we are now spreading these updates out over several more days. Only games played within the last 3 days will be updated immediately. As always, the game will begin updating immediately if you request to play it, and you can always initiate an update (or pause it indefinitely) through the Download Manager. We’re also looking into additional solutions to help on our side.

Options You Can Control

In addition to changes Steam is making to auto-updating, we wanted to remind you that there are also a number of options you can control. We believe that the best solution for most users is to take advantage of Steam’s existing throttling and scheduling features to set their own optimal behavior. So here are some suggestions – follow this link for more details on how-to:

Schedule auto-update windows! This will ensure that Steam doesn’t start updating a game while you’re in the middle of your work day.
If you don’t play a game in your library often, you can keep it installed but choose to no longer download automatic updates.
You can self-throttle your own connection to Steam. This might ease the load on your network connection, and may help ease bandwidth loads if network traffic in your area needs to be reduced.
Take advantage of Library Folders settings, so you can move infrequently-played games from an SSD to a storage HDD. This is usually better for you (and your bandwidth) rather than uninstalling the game and needing to re-download it later.

You can read more about these features here.

As always, let us know if you have further questions or feedback in the comments.

Sincerely,
-The Steam Team

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, yeah, I've got an update scheduled for next week. It's 11 MB.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I get multiple hundred megabyte updates fairly regularly, spread out over multiple devices, so I ain't complaining. Steam has been hellishly unresponsive lately.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

RE: Dragon's Dogma, I really need to pick it up again. I got it for "free" from PS+ on PS3 but I bet I can find it cheap on Steam, and that seems preferable for a few reasons.

The magic spells in DD get completely insane and it seems like a waste not to go that route, but the game also lets you climb big monsters to stab their eyes and it seems like a waste not to do THAT too :negative:

I don't remember what class I was, but it involved me wrecking fools with some kind of flipping stab. Then I was wandering around at night and picked a fight with some bandits and one of them wrecked ME with the same move, wtf who taught you to flip? Motherfucker killed me AND bit my style

I will say that despite my love of giant 2h weapons, Dragon's Dogma seemed like yet another game where it was a poor option. But I've also seen the clips of people landing that huge overhead swing on a griffon... :getin: I shouldn't go that route though, as I'd probably spend hours dying trying to land those perfect killshots

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

dromal phrenia posted:

RE: Dragon's Dogma, I really need to pick it up again. I got it for "free" from PS+ on PS3 but I bet I can find it cheap on Steam, and that seems preferable for a few reasons.

The magic spells in DD get completely insane and it seems like a waste not to go that route, but the game also lets you climb big monsters to stab their eyes and it seems like a waste not to do THAT too :negative:

I don't remember what class I was, but it involved me wrecking fools with some kind of flipping stab. Then I was wandering around at night and picked a fight with some bandits and one of them wrecked ME with the same move, wtf who taught you to flip? Motherfucker killed me AND bit my style

I will say that despite my love of giant 2h weapons, Dragon's Dogma seemed like yet another game where it was a poor option. But I've also seen the clips of people landing that huge overhead swing on a griffon... :getin: I shouldn't go that route though, as I'd probably spend hours dying trying to land those perfect killshots

You make your pawn a sorcerer so the pawn does boring standing in place channeling a spell stuff while you set yourself on fire and jump on monsters

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

And yet we still can't have updates off by default. We have to disable them for each individual game. :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Finally getting around to playing Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Finished the first episode.

Other than being disappointed so far that, so far, someone doesn't have superpowers, I'm enjoying it.

I tried my new Steam Controller for the first time with this game and well...It's kind of awkward. I find myself touching the touchpad absentmindedly because it's where I normally hover my fingers over the buttons, which of course is also the camera control which either spazzes out if your finger even looks at it depending on sensitivity levels.

You can tweak that stuff to give yourself a deadzone, or to ignore small movements, that kind of thing. If it's set to one of the Joystick modes (Move or Camera) try the other one. I think Joystick Move acts like the joystick moved to wherever you touched the pad, and Camera means you have to drag out from the middle like a real joystick

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dromal phrenia posted:

You have about two hours left to get it via the Capcom mega bundle at humble bundle right now, which includes some RE games, DMC4, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary collection, and a couple of Mega Man collections.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

odiv posted:

And yet we still can't have updates off by default. We have to disable them for each individual game. :(

And you can't fully disable them, either. Granted this is only an issue in a handful of cases but it has indeed caused me some grief. Usually when you want to play a game but then its like "nope, gotta update, no choice!" or when I would play Ark and the game would update but the person hosting the server hasn't yet updated, making it impossible to join

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I had every reason to dislike Before the Storm, but I think Deck Nine did a really good job. In some ways what they set out to achieve was even harder than the original Life is Strange, since there are no superpowers and everybody knows what's going to happen. Somehow they still managed to make you care about the central relationship between Rachel and Chloe and your decisions still felt meaningful, even without the rewind power. The soundtrack was written by Daughter and it kicks rear end, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB8JkLK7tkY

I like the music but it frustrates me that Burch didn't reprise her role in this prequel. I hate when voice actors change. Unless they changed because someone died. I can put up with that.

baka kaba posted:

You can tweak that stuff to give yourself a deadzone, or to ignore small movements, that kind of thing. If it's set to one of the Joystick modes (Move or Camera) try the other one. I think Joystick Move acts like the joystick moved to wherever you touched the pad, and Camera means you have to drag out from the middle like a real joystick

I think it was set to joystick move which means a lot of picking up and dragging which is annoying. I'll have to look into the camera mode.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Is there anything like quakespasm of gzdoom for Unreal?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Mordja posted:

It is with great sadness, as someone who played endless hours of SWAT 4 in my teen years, that I realize that I can no longer find it in my heart to play a pig game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like the music but it frustrates me that Burch didn't reprise her role in this prequel. I hate when voice actors change. Unless they changed because someone died. I can put up with that.

There was a strike going on at the time, to be fair.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They changed the voice actors because there was a SAG-AFTRA strike going on at the time and Square-Enix's go-to US studio was one of the groups being struck. Square could have written their own contracts with the original cast, but elected not to, and Deck Nine had to go non-union. As with most things in life, $$$ is the root cause.

By the time the Farewell bonus episode was made, the strike had been resolved and Burch reprised her role as Chloe.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My 400 hours of payday entitles me to 1 pig game

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anonymous Robot posted:

It is with great sadness, as someone who played endless hours of SWAT 4 in my teen years, that I realize that I can no longer find it in my heart to play a pig game.

Try Disco Elysium. I think you'll enjoy its take on pigs.

As for pig games in general it's...frustrating, but I have to do something similar when playing most shooters as they're so often about being a sociopath who would shoot a civilian. The Division is a highlight here of putting up with some insane politics to get at some really interesting level design. Exploring that NYC is so good. Shooting people in hoodies for trying to live in a ruined NYC is bad.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

There was a strike going on at the time, to be fair.

exquisite tea posted:

They changed the voice actors because there was a SAG-AFTRA strike going on at the time and Square-Enix's go-to US studio was one of the groups being struck. Square could have written their own contracts with the original cast, but elected not to, and Deck Nine had to go non-union. As with most things in life, $$$ is the root cause.

By the time the Farewell bonus episode was made, the strike had been resolved and Burch reprised her role as Chloe.

I was not aware. I got it because it was LiS and cheap but only afterwards realized it was a separate team. I figured they were just being cheap, which, isn't too far off the mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Going back to the GTA mission discussion from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlchFP6pNEU

Ok, I take what I said back. That's definitely worse than the previous installments. (I recommend the entire series btw)