Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Luceo posted:

Ahahahaha no

You'll send them the computer for a battery replacement and be without it for at least a week, because this is considered normal in tyool 2020

Yeah, I forgot the LOL on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

track day bro! posted:

Do you not have the original GPU that still has the EFI boot support? I have an RX580 in mine but I kept the 5770 or whatever to swap in if I ever take this thing to Catalina.

I do! I didn't think that would work once it got into the installer though.

Also I totally forgot the startup disk menu within the OS was a thing so with any luck I might not have to pull any hardware... maybe? Although reading this thread has driven me down a rabbit hole of reading up on OpenCore which sounds like the logical next step if I'm already this up to your neck in unsupported mac fuckery. Can't believe someone finally made a boot picker screen that works

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah I would have mentioned OpenCore if it weren't fraught with the potential to brick your machine if not done properly..

OpenCore will give you a boot screen even on an RX 580 or similar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So, I'm worried my SSD is getting thrashed unnecessarily but hoping people here have more experience with what the numbers should look like etc.

Mac Mini 2012, after I moved the machine due to incoming hurricane it never fired back up so I put a new SSD in, this was November 2017 so around 30 months.

DriveDX is generally saying everything is fine but it's lifespan is already down to 30% remaining.

First, the power on time seems bananas... it says 3,400 hours (~5 months) which doesn't make sense as this machine is powered on 24/7. I don't know why this is so low, maybe it somehow reset with the upgrade to Catalina?

Average Block Erase Count seems to be the factor that's causing it to say things are bad. It's down to that 30% reading, and has a raw value of 1,018. DriveDX has been running for a few days so I guess it's tracking and in that time period it's gone up by +1.

While the machine is used a lot, I don't really rely on the system OS as it's only a 240gb drive and I have 36TB attached via a DAS. All my usenet/downloading stuff is done directly to that HDD set including temporary storage, unpacking etc (I have another SSD in that drive unit which I can just replace if it wears out, it was cheap and I don't care about that one). I don't really bother with VMs, but Plex might well be hammering it.

So, I'm guessing I should have cause for concern and probably start thinking about replacing the drive in the next few months, but is there an easy way to find out what has caused this? I know SSDs have a finite life based on read/write, but surely it should be longer than this.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Is FileVault enabled?

The SMART Power On counter reading low is interesting. I wonder if the system powers down the entire SSD when idle.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm having issues with my Security pane at the moment (I think due to the drive DX had to install, and I can't reliably reboot while I'm remote in case I can't reconnect so I'll have to check later), but Disk Utility > Info for each entry for that drive says it's not encrypted so I'll have to assume no.

Hm interesting wrt idling, maybe that's the case which would make more sense of the figures.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh I was just wondering because of the block erase count. Encryption could turn lots of small writes into lots big writes (as the entire cipher block would change) which turns into more SSD block erases on average but FileVault probably has a pretty small block size and wouldn't really cause a massive difference anyhow.

I'd personally ignore SMART, if the drive is fine it's fine. It's not actually having any issues, right? Why worry about it? It may be fine for years to come.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not aware of issues, one of my drives was making sounds I wasn't loving hence I opened DX to check (but am having issues with that driver, so I have no idea what the other drives are reporting ha). I'll probably just have an SSD ready to go when needed and use my timemachine backup to bring it back up. If something is thrashing the drive unnecessarily though, I'd like to try and put a halt to that just to extend the life. My gut feeling is plex, maybe I'll move the library and stuff over to a different drive and keep it off system.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

beefnoodle posted:

On a scale of it's nothing to I'm hosed because Apple stores are closed, how bad to fix is a sticky space bar on a 2018 Macbook Pro? In the most first world of problems, I spilled soy sauce from sushi on it.

The answer seems to be: I am hosed to the tune of $544.94 if I do Apple mail-in repair. Expensive sushi.

Happily, since it wasn't under warranty/Applecare, it was worth trying to fix it myself. Can't void a non-existent warranty.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 31, 2020

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

beefnoodle posted:

The answer seems to be: I am hosed to the tune of $544.94 if I do Apple mail-in repair. Expensive sushi.

Happily, since it wasn't under warranty/Applecare, it was worth trying to fix it myself. Can't void a non-existent warranty.
I thought all butterfly keyboard issues were covered for free under their service program? https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

NoDamage posted:

I thought all butterfly keyboard issues were covered for free under their service program? https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks
Soy sauce isn't a Butterly keyboard issue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

Soy sauce isn't a Butterly keyboard issue.

It is a Butterfly Shrimp issue

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want some walnut shrimp now

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

It is a Butterfly Shrimp issue

:discourse:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Just got my new Air in. This keyboard is unbelievably better. So glad I exchanged.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Is it the i5 quad core?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Binary Badger posted:

Is it the i5 quad core?

Yes. I took the step-up model to the i5 and 512GB SSD.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yes. I took the step-up model to the i5 and 512GB SSD.

Nice, that computer’s gonna last you for loving ever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apropos of nothing I wish Apple made their ‘Pro’ devices available in gold, so I wouldn’t have to feel bad about not being able to get a gold iPad Pro/MBP.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Like golden, or actual gold, like the short lived Apple Watch Edition?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I pulled the trigger on an MBA too. I kinda wish I'd done it a bit earlier; I thought the long lead time they were quoting was on account of ramping up towards a wider availability date but it keeps creeping backward so I guess they're just taking a couple weeks to ship now on account of All This and there's no sense waiting any longer.

I sprung for the 512 and for the 16GB RAM, and at that point I figured gently caress it the i7 can't hurt, I've made stupider purchases in my time. I don't even really need to do much of anything intensive on this (besides Chrome lol) although I will use it for code sometimes. Hyped to have exactly skipped the Butterfly Years; the 2014 rMBP it's replacing was the second last Macbook to not have that goddamn keyboard, and the 2020 MBA is the second Macbook to ditch it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I wonder if they are going to do a 'base model' 13" Pro this time around. Or if the Air will just fill that gap. The old Air was kinda slow.

The sustained performance of the current 13" Pro is so much better than the new Air.

My 2017 13" nTB is still kickin'.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

Like golden, or actual gold, like the short lived Apple Watch Edition?

Like the color that’s an available option on the non-pro iPads, MBA, etc. I wanna be able to get a 13” (or 14”? :ohdear: ) MBP in gold. If you want a gold Mac you have to get an Air.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Macbook Edition

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Macbook Edition

What if Apple made a MacBook Air that was white like the old polycarb PowerBooks and MacBooks but it was ceramic

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

What if Apple made a MacBook Air that was white like the old polycarb PowerBooks and MacBooks but it was ceramic

with a click wheel and FireWire

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pivo posted:

with a click wheel and FireWire

If Apple made a gimmicky “classic iPod” skin for the Apple music app on iOS Id use it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok Comboomer posted:

If Apple made a gimmicky “classic iPod” skin for the Apple music app on iOS Id use it

Not gonna lie, the Walkman tape display thing looks cool (even if it's just crummy androidness behind it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzdy_2kGGhM

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have an early 2015 Retina MacBook Pro, am I completely out of luck if I want to drive an external 4k monitor at 60hz? I've seen tons of mixed reports out there, it's hard to nail down what combination of monitor, cables and settings would actually work. I'm working with Intel Iris 6100 graphics, if that makes a difference.

Anyone have any first-hand experience getting it working?

Edit: Specifically I was looking at the Dell p2415q: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-24-ultra-hd-4k-monitor-p2415q/apd/210-agnk/monitors-monitor-accessories

frogbs fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 1, 2020

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Ok Comboomer posted:

There was one until Apple took it down

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/11/21010953/apple-iphone-ipod-app-rewound-app-store-features-music-player-apple-music

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

frogbs posted:

I have an early 2015 Retina MacBook Pro, am I completely out of luck if I want to drive an external 4k monitor at 60hz? I've seen tons of mixed reports out there, it's hard to nail down what combination of monitor, cables and settings would actually work. I'm working with Intel Iris 6100 graphics, if that makes a difference.

Edit: Specifically I was looking at the Dell p2415q: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-24-ultra-hd-4k-monitor-p2415q/apd/210-agnk/monitors-monitor-accessories

I'm almost positive you can using a DisplayPort cable just not hdmi

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

frogbs posted:

I have a mid-2015 15", can confirm 4k60hz works with Mini Displayport -> Displayport and a cable that supports it. For using Displayport -> HDMI I think you want an active adapter, but should work.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

beefnoodle posted:

On a scale of it's nothing to I'm hosed because Apple stores are closed, how bad to fix is a sticky space bar on a 2018 Macbook Pro? In the most first world of problems, I spilled soy sauce from sushi on it.

mail it in if you have applecare+

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Bob Morales posted:

I'm almost positive you can using a DisplayPort cable just not hdmi

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have a mid-2015 15", can confirm 4k60hz works with Mini Displayport -> Displayport and a cable that supports it. For using Displayport -> HDMI I think you want an active adapter, but should work.

Oh nice, thank you both! Any monitor recommendations other than that dell?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Really really old Mac hardware question that I don't expect anyone to know the answer to: Can a Powerbook G3 Wallstreet PDQ boot into Target Disk Mode? It did not come with Firewire but can be added via PCMCIA.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Daniel Bryan posted:

Really really old Mac hardware question that I don't expect anyone to know the answer to: Can a Powerbook G3 Wallstreet PDQ boot into Target Disk Mode? It did not come with Firewire but can be added via PCMCIA.

It can boot into SCSI target disk mode. I've never tried it attached to a machine running Mac OS X, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. FireWire target disk mode is not supported via FireWire PCI card or CardBus.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Daniel Bryan posted:

It's not on this list...

https://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/FireWire/firewiretdm.html

If it doesn't work do you have a FireWire to SCSI converter and you could boot it into SCSI target mode

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I don't have a SCSI/FireWire adapter. I'm trying to figure out how to get an OS installed without a CD drive and not spending money. If I was able to get a OS Install image written to a partition on the HDD, do you think it could boot then? I have an IDE to USB adapter that will let me see the drive.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If you want to boot from OS 9, all you need is a working system folder from another Mac. Drag and drop it to an HFS+ disk and you should be good to go. You could certainly do a partition on the internal disk, but then you'd be stuck with it after the fact. If you're cool with that, it'll work.

I don't believe that you can boot off of a firewire disk attached to a Cardbus card, but it's been forever. I do know that you can boot from a CF card in a PC Card adapter though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

mail it in if you have applecare+

I bought it used* and never bought Applecare. Expensive lesson.

*Seller never bought Applecare either.