Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xepherra posted:

whatup nite crew it’s ya girl. I’m here to be drunk and :justpost: because I’m an EMT and probably gonna get sick maybe gonna die.

One of my coworkers died of COVID19 complications yesterday, age 33. We have another EMT on a ventilator, he’s 25 years old.

Now that I’ve got the vodka in me all I wanna do is make noise so here we are. I’ve been off for a few days but going back to work tomorrow night and EVERYTHING IS FINE :tif:

My special request post mortem is for people to blow some poo poo up and build a guillotine tia.

you’re the Bernie button guy, right? can I PM you about making a custom button?

gently caress. i hope your friend on the ventilator makes it and so do you. thank you for what you're doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
first post

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

is this the new admin after the forums coup

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This Week in Virology said serology tests with ~10-15 minute turnaround time are coming available in hospitals.

Being able to identify the already and infected and thus presumptively immune population, and clearing them to be back out in the world, could be an on-ramp into getting out of shelter in place. Small hopeful sign.

TWiV is a great resource for anyone who enjoys podcasts. Very low production value, just some dorkass virology professors talking to each other.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Xepherra posted:

whatup nite crew it’s ya girl. I’m here to be drunk and :justpost: because I’m an EMT and probably gonna get sick maybe gonna die.

One of my coworkers died of COVID19 complications yesterday, age 33. We have another EMT on a ventilator, he’s 25 years old.

Now that I’ve got the vodka in me all I wanna do is make noise so here we are. I’ve been off for a few days but going back to work tomorrow night and EVERYTHING IS FINE :tif:

My special request post mortem is for people to blow some poo poo up and build a guillotine tia.

take care

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

washington state feeling good

Xepherra
Apr 4, 2008

It burst into flames! It burst into flames, and it's falling, it's crashing!

MarcusSA posted:

loving hell... where at?

Good luck friend.

Land of the commuters, home of the taylor ham, NJ. :patriot:

Thanks for the well wishes, all. In other news, when I ordered my new laptop on newegg today they added 5 surgimasks for free lmao 2020 sux

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Xepherra posted:

Thanks for your work. And for the build a guillotine. I promise you we will fight hard and long agains the hordes of stupid poeple.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
More publications have written about BCG lately but it’s mostly just very repetitive. Here’s Forbes:

https://twitter.com/zimleague/status/1245213748798816256?s=20

Japan in particular seems very excited about the idea, there has been lots of discussion online over the past week or so:

https://twitter.com/sohnandae/status/1245261326202449921?s=20

It seems that the Russian media has found it interesting too:

https://twitter.com/tass_agency/status/1244656040395841538?s=20

And there have also been lots of articles in Indian newspapers. All 3 of these countries have longstanding BCG programs with high vaccination rates and (so far) low death rates. It’s not surprising that they are most excited about this idea in those countries, because everyone likes reading that they might already be immune to the deadly pandemic.

https://twitter.com/Metaphysicully/status/1245188207555346433?s=20

While most of the information in these articles is the same stuff over and over again, this last one had some info about the history of Indian BCG immunization, as well as an announcement that there should be some more interesting research coming out soon:

“The BCG vaccine is an immunomodulator that boosts immune response to offer broad protection to respiratory infections. Even more protective is a vaccine from Mycobacterium indicus pranii (MIP), which has been isolated and sequenced in India National Institute of Immunology. It’s approved for use against leprosy and septicaemia, and PGI Chandigarh recently evaluated its translational application as an immunotherapeutic against severe acute respiratory syndrome (a coronavirus like Sars-Cov-2, the virus that causes Covid-19). The results have been sent for publication,” said Dr NK Ganguly, former director general, Indian Council of Medical Research.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OpNEowiTpM

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

also swedish prevention efforts are so dogshit that the government wants to lock down the western border properly, not even work traffic allowed anymore

Haparanda/Torneå must be a fun place to live in right now

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Awesome, my wife is a public health epidemiologist working on covid response, and the 6 month old laptop I gave her to use for wfh had its cooling fans just crap out.

Guess she has to go into the office tomorrow where I'm terrified for her, since they don't have enough laptops for critical staff to borrow.

What are the odds I can cry hard enough at HP support tomorrow that they overnight me an rma replacement?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

hahaha russia delivering emergency supplies to failed state amerika is too delicious. looking forward to dying libs having to thank russia for supplying the ventilators that saved their worthless lives.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://www.distancedisco.com/

If anyone wants to beta-test this social distancing dance party app, go hog wild

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xepherra posted:

Land of the commuters, home of the taylor ham, NJ. :patriot:

Thanks for the well wishes, all. In other news, when I ordered my new laptop on newegg today they added 5 surgimasks for free lmao 2020 sux

OK just stay healthy and stay sane.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Awesome, my wife is a public health epidemiologist working on covid response, and the 6 month old laptop I gave her to use for wfh had its cooling fans just crap out.

Guess she has to go into the office tomorrow where I'm terrified for her, since they don't have enough laptops for critical staff to borrow.

What are the odds I can cry hard enough at HP support tomorrow that they overnight me an rma replacement?

That sucks! put some ice packs on it and under it in the meantime maybe :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gh0stpinballa posted:

hahaha russia delivering emergency supplies to failed state amerika is too delicious. looking forward to dying rachel maddow refusing a ventilator because it was manufactured in st petersburg, to own the russian agents.

“In 1977, John Robinette, acting mayor of Vulcan, requested foreign aid from the Soviet Union and East Germany to replace the town's bridge after unsuccessful efforts to get the state to replace it. The bridge was the sole route to legally enter and exit the town, and it had collapsed two years previously.[3][4] Russian journalist Iona Andronov visited Vulcan on December 17, 1977, to meet with Robinette and survey the problem. Within an hour of his visit, reporters were told that the state would replace the bridge. The West Virginia Legislature provided $1.3 million in funding to replace the bridge.[5][6]”

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Xepherra posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU-mEsCk3D8

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xepherra posted:

Hell yea, anytime, I don't have poo poo else to do!

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Pigmassacre posted:

Haparanda/Torneå must be a fun place to live in right now

yup, its fun choosing between your family and your job until june

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Xepherra posted:

goondolences, but also goongrats about escaping hellworld. we're not that lucky, yet. i would hope you at least get PPE but lol

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Inceltown posted:

BEANCHAT

I like Pick Up Limes for some tasty vegan foods. Lots of people get put off by hearing vegan but those fuckers know how to bean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWfwPTv5jy0

Lentil Apricot Curry

Potato + Pea Curry

Vegan Butter Chicken w/ Tofu

Hope you enjoyed this brief interlude into beanworld.

incredible thanks

Zisky
May 6, 2003

twoday posted:

That sucks! put some ice packs on it and under it in the meantime maybe :confused:

Yeah maybe icepacks with a dishtowel in between would work till I have a replacement figured out, good idea.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Xepherra posted:

not so incredible. stay safe goon :(

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xepherra posted:

i had to move my car to the side all these years... whose laughing now?!?!?!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Radirot posted:

Maybe you're right I can't really tell.

Here's the crows I saw

https://i.imgur.com/U9AAbOn.mp4

whatever the case that's a good mess of birds :crnasickos:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mummy Xzibit posted:

if it's not completely dead yet you can use hwmonitor to check its temps while you do something like lift it up from the desk so the bottom can breathe and point a fan or A/C at its exhaust

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a helpful bear posted:

:rip: dave matthews :(

wait what

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Inceltown posted:

I am extremely here for people sticking it to landlords and hope this lasts until there are no more landlords.

https://twitter.com/joshuabadge/status/1245209610203435008

that use of the word super eg apparently superannuation...

looked it up and it ended up being what i assumed from the context but tmyk :yeah:

twoday
May 4, 2005

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Yeah maybe icepacks with a dishtowel in between would work till I have a replacement figured out, good idea.

You can also stick it in the fridge every once in a while. An old roommate of mine used to put his books in the freezer before reading them because he liked "the feeling of a nice cold book on a summer day." It would stay cool for quite a while. The principle is the same.

There are probably some useful tips to be found about this online, hot laptops are a common problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh6LFitHeyg

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So much like the testing, ppe is still nonexistent. Trump continues to do absolutely nothing on this front beyond parading a couple grifter companies making a handful just to score some easy PR. Testing kits who the gently caress knows why that poo poo is only being crafted by artisans in bespoke apothecaries using the finest of tinctures.

Good thing the media and congress are asking the tough questions on why there has been no progress on these dire situations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

gradenko_2000 posted:

if it's not completely dead yet you can use hwmonitor to check its temps while you do something like lift it up from the desk so the bottom can breathe and point a fan or A/C at its exhaust

yah that seems wack for fans to break so quickly so like gradenko said maybe something like hwinfo or whatever's hip nowadays might help to see what's up.

I'm so outta touch with computer touching and dont know what to recommended but whatever free thinger thats around nowadays that could force the clocks to stay low and not boost might help depending on the cpu

give it more chance to stay inside a temp envelope where unintended passive cooling doesn't annihilate things

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

twoday posted:

You can also stick it in the fridge every once in a while.

Not a great idea because it'll get condensation on the inside when you pull it out.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

(these are such basic dumb thoughts that i feel they might read as insulting in their obviousness but thats deffo not my intent)

in the bios or windows settings finding the power/efficiency settings and seeing about selecting that no matter if its on battery or being powered the clock profile defaults to efficiency instead of performance might be a thing i dunno

computers :barf:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Beans into plants. Plants into beans. Then, perhaps, beans into plants once more. Who knows. Who can tell. What lies in store. it's thos beans

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Asproigerosis posted:

So much like the testing, ppe is still nonexistent. Trump continues to do absolutely nothing on this front beyond parading a couple grifter companies making a handful just to score some easy PR. Testing kits who the gently caress knows why that poo poo is only being crafted by artisans in bespoke apothecaries using the finest of tinctures.

Good thing the media and congress are asking the tough questions on why there has been no progress on these dire situations.

have you ever done a self-mri during downtime??

does it consume extra helium when its going THUMP THUMP THUMP for an hour and cost resources beyond whatever electricity goes used (and/or is that electrical bill part trivial in the scheme of running those things?)

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

DesperateDan posted:

Beans into plants. Plants into beans. Then, perhaps, beans into plants once more. Who knows. Who can tell. What lies in store. it's thos beans

:stoked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKMRLgKpqs

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Bulgakov posted:

that use of the word super eg apparently superannuation...

looked it up and it ended up being what i assumed from the context but tmyk :yeah:

yeah Australia has a mandatory superannuation system for retirement and one of the stimulus/relief steps has been allowing people to withdraw 10k from your super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

twoday posted:

You can also stick it in the fridge every once in a while. An old roommate of mine used to put his books in the freezer before reading them because he liked "the feeling of a nice cold book on a summer day." It would stay cool for quite a while. The principle is the same.

. . .

that cold book idea is...interesting, and I can imagine it feeling refreshing.

but i dont think ive ever lived anywhere that the high humidity wouldn't make me worry that i'd get book condensation and soggy pages tho or something :rip: