Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

D1E posted:

LOL the "ventilators" that loving idiot rear end in a top hat douchebag pedo Elon Musk is bragging about donating were actually just CPAP machines.

at least they aren't shotguns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you Elon! Apple! And all the other famous brands from twitter for donating all this life-saving tech.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1245377621623541820

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool, confirmed roni case in my mom's office (she works at a nursing home)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Plinkey posted:

cool, confirmed roni case in my mom's office (she works at a nursing home)

That's like the platinum elite status of roni, a Confirmed Case

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:sickos:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

cool

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D1E posted:

LOL the "ventilators" that loving idiot rear end in a top hat douchebag pedo Elon Musk is bragging about donating were actually just CPAP machines.

you loving simps insisting he was helping

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/devonesawa/status/1245176931554693121?s=21

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

this is good news!

for death crew

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

D1E posted:

Wow, so maybe they made a mistake and sent cheap humidifiers instead of hospital ventilators, but at least it's something! What have you done to insert yourself into a global crisis for attention, hmmm?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

cpap machines and my pillows in every charnel ward

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Well, if the WH is already making that comparison

We are hosed. Completely, thoroughly hosed.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

what's with everyone's obsession with burning bodies

if it was easy the US would be doing that instead of using slaves to dig graves

why would you burn bodies in a mass grave

just cover that poo poo with soil

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

pitchforks,t torches, etc ,

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

The Alpha Centauri posted:

pitchforks,t torches, etc ,

Instead we are just gonna shitpost and tweet and watch the world burn down

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

dex_sda posted:

why would you burn bodies in a mass grave

just cover that poo poo with soil

need to cover them in concrete

like the chernobyl fire fighters

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gringostar posted:

this is good news!

for death crew

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

lmao

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Wow really taking advantage of that 10-day head start!!! Working hard, thank you!!!!

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

From last night? No, because they have changed and I didn't write down the poo poo I ran.

From now? Yes.

Presently in the US there are 190,022 cases confirmed. Of those, 4102 have died.
4102/190022=0.02158 or 2.2% mortality. It's not perfect because we know more people have died at home or without confirmation, but it's probably in the ballpark.

In the US, there are 178,646 confirmed cases active right now. Of those, 4,576 are severe/critical.
4576/178646=0.0256 or 2.6% hospitalized. There are almost certainly many more cases that have not been tested, but because the US testing policy many places is "has shown up to the hospital," it's unlikely the untested cases are severe enough to be seen at a hospital.

Many of the cases that are not hospitalized are people who have called family doctors or been seen at urgent cares or so on and been told "yeah it's the bad poo poo, stay home and call 911 if you can't breathe."

There is likely a good chunk of those who were tested who weren't admitted at the time but will be admitted later as they deteriorate. It's probably not gonna be 17.5% of those people.

Globally, the numbers on Worldometer look like this:

That's basically the trend. 5% need hospitalized. 20% of the hospitalized cases die.

There's nothing that suggests 20% of people need hospitalization.

You're ignoring the time dimension. The disease often takes a ~a week after symptoms begin to progress to a severe form. In exponential growth, half the cases are newer than the doubling period. The vast majority of US cases have not had time to develop severe symptoms.

The only useful statistics on severity are from populations that are not in exponential growth.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

D1E posted:

yesterday, i cringed watching star trek discovery when the captain listed musk in a line of great inventors.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Taintrunner posted:

you loving simps insisting he was helping

From the last thread:

like him or not, he is doing better than all the billionaires that immediately went off the grid in covid bunkers or signed a check for a couple million for "research"

:laugh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rauros posted:

yesterday, i cringed watching star trek discovery when the captain listed musk in a line of great inventors.

good news: hes from the evil universe
bad news: thats our universe

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Not interested in the slap fight but our health system that encompasses 25 hospitals is seeing a more or less 20% hospitalization rate of patients diagnosed with Covid19. True there are probably others at home that don’t get diagnosed so the numbers may be off in that regard but otherwise 20% of those I diagnose needing the hospital is pretty dead on.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

If anything this seems optimistic?

This is certainly a stupid way to estimate, but with the US population at 327 million vs 60 million for Italy (5.45x multiplier), and Italy having about 12000 deaths right now...if we assume Italy is now at peak death rate, that would be equivalent to the US having ~70K deaths at peak death rate, which seems too low. Also Italy's lockdown is FAR more effective than the US.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

From the last thread:

like him or not, he is doing better than all the billionaires that immediately went off the grid in covid bunkers or signed a check for a couple million for "research"

hey

shut up

lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cool! 30,535,288 dead!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nodelphi posted:

Not interested in the slap fight but our health system that encompasses 25 hospitals is seeing a more or less 20% hospitalization rate of patients diagnosed with Covid19. True there are probably others at home that don’t get diagnosed so the numbers may be off in that regard but otherwise 20% of those I diagnose needing the hospital is pretty dead on.

That’s what my nurse friends told me too, but they could be Chinese agents spreading misinformation

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Just imagine how many more people would die if the mypillow man didn't tell us to let god back in school

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nodelphi posted:

Yeah this is consistent with ny and iirc sk numbers which means inside a month setting foot outside will have worse than Russian roulette odds lmao

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

covid19 didnt come from god because you masturbate....

its because you dont masturbate enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

From the last thread:

baaahahahaha that was the one I was thinking of. Jesus loving Christ

pathetic

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Love to lock down the country and destroy all semblance of normal life for measures that are literally no better than everyone hanging out in a crowded bar or stadium lmao

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

baaahahahaha that was the one I was thinking of. Jesus loving Christ

i fell for the pr stunt

i figured surely if he was just buying ventilators and sending them somewhere, what could go wrong?

turns out, billionaires are as dumb as the people licking doorknobs and they have all the resources we need

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Breaking out all my math and statistical analysis skills to fluff the number of dead as high as possible for... reasons

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Poniard posted:

how many angels can cum on the head of a pin?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Just imagine the Picard facepalm that happened when the first medical professional inspected Elon's truckload of ventilators. lmao

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Poniard posted:

this actually tracks for me since i stopped a couple months ago and suddenly the world started collapsing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

pretty much. I’m pretty sure our total deaths is increasing at a similar rate to theirs 15 days ago. though our death rate probably ain’t gonna level off rofl

so I guess I should say we should be so lucky as to go the way of Italy