Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

euphronius posted:

wasn’t the one Napoleon brother actually pretty effective

you mean like, Dynamite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rynn posted:

Which will only hold them over for another month because there's no loving way the repubs are going to vote on a 2nd round of "free money" to lazy Americans

so far the phase 4 proposals are:

Trump: WPA for Infrastructure but probably he's already forgotten he suggested it

GOP more broadly: everything's fine, pay ur rent fuckos

Dems: retroactively repealing a tax only rich people pay and nothing else

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Napoleon Bonerfart

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Basic Poster posted:

Lol, musk bought a bunch of cheap cpaps and those are his "ventilator" donations.

https://twitter.com/evdefender/status/1245254459380445185

Holy poo poo that is an amazing April Fool's Day joke

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

wasn’t the one Napoleon brother actually pretty effective

i dont know about ‘effective’ but lucien was a diehard jacobin that played a bit part in the french revolution, so thats cool

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
https://twitter.com/brett_swanson7/status/1245278899082268673?s=21

lmao

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Those docs don't look happy at all

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

NofrikinfuN posted:

i was under the impression that it had to be administered when you were young to have the beneficial effect on your immune system

i guess that doesnt mean we wont try it, but it's not likely to have much positive effect in adults, right?

so from what I understand, if you are given a vaccine like this very early on in life, it sort of rewires your immune response and the effects last much longer. That's why it is often given at birth, and the countries that do give it at birth seem to be the ones with the noticeable lack of outbreaks. However, if it is given later on in life it is still potentially effective, but for a shorter time period (between months and years depending on which age it is given and who you ask, the exact duration is unclear). So that would explain why France and England are still having significant deaths despite having universal vaccinations for school-age children. Anyway, it's promising even as a stop-gap solution because you can give it to everyone this year and get society up and running again, and then give them a more targeted vaccination next year once that is developed and tested and approved

it seems that the countries most protected (according to the current data) give it both at birth and then again later in life

twoday has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Apr 1, 2020

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

twoday posted:

just wait till trump finds out that it's the fastest possible vaccine that can be distributed because it can skip to phase III trials immediately

edit: it can even skip those, they could just start jabbing people next week if they wanted to, it just needs to be approved for broader use than only TB high-risk groups

the main hurdle is that it isn't especially profitable

:smith:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm too old to have my immune system re-written by BCG so I'm gonna do the old fashioned method - exposing myself to a whole bunch of gamma radiation

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lamo there is no way the USA could effectively deploy a vaccine to everyone

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

twoday posted:

so from what I understand, if you are given a vaccine like this very early on in life, it sort of rewires your immune response and the effects last much longer. That's why it is often given at birth, and the countries that do give it at birth seem to be the ones with the noticeable lack of outbreaks. However, if it is given later on in life it is still potentially effective, but for a shorter time period (between months and years depending who you ask, the exact duration is unclear). So that would explain why France and England are still having significant deaths despite having universal vaccinations for school-age children. Anyway, it's promising even as a stop-gap solution because you can give it to everyone this year and get society up and running again, and then give them a more targeted vaccination next year once that is developed and tested and approved

that's potentially good news, provided our government stops making GBS threads the bed at every possible opportunity

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Goons, what's the website that sells the good beans? We're doing ok on bean supplies, but I lost the link from the old thread before I could really look at it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

just pump me full of bcg and ill tell you if its effective or not

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1245399599797415936

way too little way too late but he can say he did something

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
if someone gives you a bunch of cpap machines you still take them *shrug*

twoday
May 4, 2005

NofrikinfuN posted:

that's potentially good news, provided our government stops making GBS threads the bed at every possible opportunity

:rip:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I'm too old to have my immune system re-written by BCG so I'm gonna do the old fashioned method - exposing myself to a whole bunch of gamma radiation

be sure to have something cool like a pangolin or a bat nearby for the best outcomes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the Florida order is for 30 days !!!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

euphronius posted:

lamo there is no way the USA could effectively deploy a vaccine to everyone

That's why you deploy it to the front line healthcare workers first, and then the rich and famous

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

I understand that, but we can look at numbers from places that are ahead of us on the curve and we're not seeing 20% hospitalization rates or 20% needing hospitalization so like I said, those numbers aren't accurate but they're indicative. We'll see some millions dead but not 50 million.

If you have good numbers on hospitalizations from countries with widespread testing + controlled growth, please post sources because that's information I've been hunting for without success.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NofrikinfuN posted:

yeah, about that

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
tell the people of florida that bath salts cure covid

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Schmoe Cwead posted:

america is designed to encourage a race to the bottom between its own states

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Schmoe Cwead posted:

yeah, probably preventing mayors of cities from being able to implement a more effective shut down, if he took a page from the other red states

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

my bony fealty posted:

are there any Bonaparte failsons floating around out there we can crown as world emperor to handle this crisis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fn36l_z3WY

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Plinkey posted:

yeah, about that

yeah

:rip:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1245397468797456385

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

my bony fealty posted:

are there any Bonaparte failsons floating around out there we can crown as world emperor to handle this crisis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Christophe,_Prince_Napol%C3%A9on

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Schmoe Cwead posted:

lmao it's only for epicenters, not the whole state (SE FL)

Also in his PR he mis-stated the end date would be May 15 not April 15

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241609941.html

quote:

Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Monday morning that those living in Southeast Florida should stay home until mid-May to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus. He would sign an executive order, he said, urging those in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and Monroe Counties to stay home.

The news spread quickly, as thousands of South Floridians reading online and watching on television mentally prepared to stay indoors — and away from work — for another month and a half. The Republican Party of Florida even issued a statement from Sarasota Sen. Joe Gruters, who doubles as the party chair, noting the mid-May date.

“Gov. DeSantis is resolutely leading the state through the coronavirus outbreak with measured, informed, effective actions to protect the health and rights of Floridians,” he wrote.

In between his 10 a.m. stop at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens and his 1:30 p.m. appearance in Palm Beach County, his schedule showed an 11:30 a.m. conference call with other governors and Vice President Mike Pence.

Then, later at the press conference in Palm Beach County, DeSantis clarified that he meant April 15, not mid-May, for an end date to what he called the “safer at home” order for millions of residents.

When asked why the error wasn’t immediately corrected, a spokeswoman for the governor said neither she nor anyone else caught it, and the end date for the order wasn’t in his notes.

etalian has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Apr 1, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Honestly America would be improved just be switching to nonpartisan elections. Once again, Cuba did things right.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Google Butt posted:

They aren't useful, op

so i work in anesthesia and let me assure you, the positive inspiratory pressure required to keep these fibrotic dying lungs open is taxing even to our 100,000$ machines for rich people. if some one is requiring intubation, unless the guys in ny have figured out some magical way to jerry rig these together to provide the right amount of pressure AND attach an ETT to it then this is at best a great way to ensure the virus gets extremely aerosolized and murder every single person in the ER. im lmaoing into the grave

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Honestly America would be improved just be switching to nonpartisan elections. Once again, Cuba did things right.

only the biggest brains here

twoday
May 4, 2005

BCG is normally given to infants, and it's such a weak bacterial infection that it's considered to be safe unless the infant is malnourished or immunocompromised/has HIV. They also regularly give it to adults at risk of contracting TB and it's safe. It's not usually given to really old people, but they are doing a study in Greece now where they are giving it to old people to see if it reduces rates of infection. The study was already planned and was supposed to see how effective it is to prevent infections in general, but since the pandemic happened they decided to specifically look for that in the study too. There was a bunch of research in the past few years that seems to show that it's effective against a variety of pathogens and generally improves immune response. So if it works for this and these studies have positive results it may become a more common thing in general, even after the pandemic has passed

and once everyone is immune to everything, that's when we will get the superplague

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Rexicon1 posted:

so i work in anesthesia and let me assure you, the positive inspiratory pressure required to keep these fibrotic dying lungs open is taxing even to our 100,000$ machines for rich people. if some one is requiring intubation, unless the guys in ny have figured out some magical way to jerry rig these together to provide the right amount of pressure AND attach an ETT to it then this is at best a great way to ensure the virus gets extremely aerosolized and murder every single person in the ER. im lmaoing into the grave

lol cool

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

only the biggest brains here

Sorry, would you rather be in Havana or New York right now?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Fleetwood posted:

Goons, what's the website that sells the good beans? We're doing ok on bean supplies, but I lost the link from the old thread before I could really look at it

i use anasazibeans.com and order burlap sacks full

others were on about some even more expensive california bean that come in tiny amounts

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

WarEternal posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TierneyODea/status/1245379911713525760

Lmao these people trying to bend over backwards to make excuses for Musk. That's ALSO not a ventilator. My dad died of pulmonary fibrosis so I know what a fuckin ventilator looks like.

"Non-invasive" right there on the text of the loving page. Why did the "NYCHealthSystem" Twitter promote this when they're loving CPAPs? Feel like I'm losing my mind.

Because Musk also said he has "real ventilators for sure they're behind this curtain and I'm sending them promise" so they don't want to piss him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
USA at 205k cases now