Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

get her an account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
i just beat a game where humanity was wiped out after a pandemic started and they decided to solve it by detonating all the nuclear reactors on earth

so yknow thats timely

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

america is designed to encourage a race to the bottom between its own states

hell yeah, it's the most efficient method of finding the bottom.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
during the Spanish Flu of 1918, it is theorized that cytokine storm also played a huge part. That flu killed a ton of young healthy people (usually above the age of 25 I believe), and they thought that the way it worked was that young people have healthier immune systems and stronger immune responses, so that's why the cytokine storm was so lethal. But oddly, the 18 and 20 year olds were much less affected. One theory to explain this is that the Russian flu, a milder pandemic that occurred in the 1890's, was the first major viral infection experienced by people in that age group, and that it reprogrammed their immune response in such a way that it created a loophole in their immune responses which the Spanish Flu was able to take advantage of. As COVID has shown us, cytokine storm does not necessarily favor the young, so this seems to make sense. This is also a good argument for vaccinations at birth

then again, if there were to be a pandemic of ultratuberculosis that takes advantage of a loophole created by BCG vaccine we would also be turbofucked so who knows

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Plinkey posted:

USA at 205k cases now

lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i use anasazibeans.com and order burlap sacks full

others were on about some even more expensive california bean that come in tiny amounts

that's rancho gordo

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it bugs me that people are calling it corona-chan when it should really be corona-xiaojie or something

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mozi posted:

it bugs me that people are calling it corona-chan when it should really be corona-xiaojie or something

Anime doesnt know how Chinese language works op

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1245405635446857728

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Ok, what's up with those "ventilators" ol' Muskie sent to those hospitals? Are they CPAPs that he bought for show or are they real ventilators? Can someone back this up? My wife is yelling at me for believing fake news for sending her that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mycomancy posted:

Ok, what's up with those "ventilators" ol' Muskie sent to those hospitals? Are they CPAPs that he bought for show or are they real ventilators? Can someone back this up? My wife is yelling at me for believing fake news for sending her that.

He just placed a order with a legit company.

I'm sure you can still buy them with the right amount of money but it will be probably marked up.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-tesla/tesla-plans-to-supply-fda-approved-ventilators-free-of-cost-musk-idUSKBN21I2KX

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

hell yeah, it's the most efficient method of finding the bottom.

:mmmhmm:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mycomancy posted:

they aren’t . vpaps , also not ventilators. yes. she’s right

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

mycomancy posted:

Buy her an account.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

mycomancy posted:

they are bipaps. that company just likes calling them vpaps because of marketing. they are trash for idiots.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mozi posted:

maybe it's her surname

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/business/status/1245384003575844864

yay

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
I hope everyone's day is ok.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Admiral Ray posted:

they are bipaps. that company just likes calling them vpaps because of marketing. they are trash for idiots.

that's not fair, they're good for fat people and people with hosed up noses and poo poo, like me

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

the doctors (?) posing with the "tesla" CPAP/VPAP/BIPA help I don't know the difference machines are probably doing their best to pretend it's great out of fear that if they hurt musk's ego he'll stop donating anything at all

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I take this to mean that young Americans are fatter and less healthy than young people from most other countries.

America is always number one!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

someone redo the bus gif but a rikshaw from india Hindustan Ambassador comes flying past the US bus like it's fuckin rocket powered

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Raiad posted:

that's not fair, they're good for fat people and people with hosed up noses and poo poo, like me

I don't think they do jack-poo poo for COVID-19 patients dying of ARDS, buddy.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Radirot posted:

In a couple hours I get to go to the grocery store and hope that half of the stuff on our list is there. And we're making pancakes for dinner :)

sum
Nov 15, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

So how long until people just start looting grocery stores

The police would rather die than let the sanctity of K-Mart be violated. Even if this was the Black Death they wouldn't let it happen

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

let me guess, it's because vaping?

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Radirot posted:

gonna make some cauliflower soup

might gently caress around and start some beans for dinner

living in an area that shut down early and is, fingers crossed, not going to blow up (sf bay)

not bad, not bad

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

D1E posted:

I don't think they do jack-poo poo for COVID-19 patients dying of ARDS, buddy.

lol oh no they are less than useless for what musk sent them for

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

lol owned. i am neither young nor old, and no disease can harm me. i am ageless because i travel in an internet capsule at the speed of light. by the time you read this post, i will have already traveled to mars and back, gaining substantial space powers and radiation sickness.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I didn't know the Hajj was cancelled in 1798. Neat

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

euphronius posted:

they aren’t . vpaps , also not ventilators. yes. she’s right

To clarify, she's saying the claims that they're NOT ventilators is the fake news. I don't believe Elon Musk could find his way out of a cardboard box so of course I think there's some catch.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

mod sassinator posted:

someone redo the bus gif but a rikshaw from india comes flying past the US bus like it's fuckin rocket powered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4y8ph3cH54

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Mantis42 posted:

maybe it's her surname

corona_chen?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Rynn posted:

In a couple hours I get to go to the grocery store and hope that half of the stuff on our list is there. And we're making pancakes for dinner :)

nice, I've been on a pancake kick lately with bananas and chopped walnuts in them (I bought too many bananas)

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

twoday posted:

during the Spanish Flu of 1918, it is theorized that cytokine storm also played a huge part. That flu killed a ton of young healthy people (usually above the age of 25 I believe), and they thought that the way it worked was that young people have healthier immune systems and stronger immune responses, so that's why the cytokine storm was so lethal. But oddly, the 18 and 20 year olds were much less affected. One theory to explain this is that the Russian flu, a milder pandemic that occurred in the 1890's, was the first major viral infection experienced by people in that age group, and that it reprogrammed their immune response in such a way that it created a loophole in their immune responses which the Spanish Flu was able to take advantage of. As COVID has shown us, cytokine storm does not necessarily favor the young, so this seems to make sense. This is also a good argument for vaccinations at birth

then again, if there were to be a pandemic of ultratuberculosis that takes advantage of a loophole created by BCG vaccine we would also be turbofucked so who knows

There is some similar speculation with SARS-CoV2 that exposure to OC43, another coronavirus that circulates in the pediatric population, confers some partial immunity. There was some research back in the day that also indicated cross-reactivity between OC43 antibodies and SARS. This would partially explain why the new virus spares the young.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

The Atlantic lmao

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

from the data linked:

looks like 18.7% from my math (74 + 1532) cases 44 and under / 8549 total cases in hospital

e: from same data source (https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page), death rate 44 and under appears to be 0.34%

Plank Walker has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Apr 1, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

SchrodingersCat posted:

There is some similar speculation with SARS-CoV2 that exposure to OC43, another coronavirus that circulates in the pediatric population, confers some partial immunity. There was some research back in the day that also indicated cross-reactivity between OC43 antibodies and SARS. This would partially explain why the new virus spares the young.

neat

would parents be more likely to have that protection too then?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Twoday where did you first pick up on this BCG thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

SKULL.GIF posted:

hospital administrators are determined to get every last ounce of bloody profit

glad we don't have m4a, doctors would have to take a pay cut!