Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Radirot posted:

I hope everyone's day is ok.

after putting my starter in the oven with the light on for the past couple of days it's finally starting to rise! it's been an exciting day because of that, because I should be ready to make bread in a day or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

mycomancy posted:

To clarify, she's saying the claims that they're NOT ventilators is the fake news. I don't believe Elon Musk could find his way out of a cardboard box so of course I think there's some catch.

They're absolutely NOT ventilators. Tell her Elon is a loving idiot who spent 8 years in undergrad and only wants PR (and to be able to keep his Tesla factories open so he can force his workers to keep building cars which literally explode and catch fire), so he spent his literal pocket change on ancient crappy CPAP machines.

Then buy her an account so she can become a cool goon.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
My sister-in-law RN works in a rural Missouri hospital and she's been venting a lot to me lately because "the situation is way worse than people here think".

It's a smaller hospital, their supplies are already dwindling, few can get proper PPE, ICU space is already strained, and now they've started to see cases of community spread COVID. She says there's pressure from the hospital to not talk about shortages. They have 10 ICU beds and aren't doing anything to create more space. The hospital staff is delusional, they think COVID is only a risk to big cities.

So yeah, I think the midwest is a public health powder keg at the moment.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

twoday posted:

neat

would parents be more likely to have that protection too then?

Yes. I am sure there will be follow-up studies and I am interested to see the results.

Going to see lots of really good and possibly revolutionary research coming out of Europe and Asia re: this virus.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Radirot posted:

I hope everyone's day is ok.

I hurt my back doing landscaping

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

mycomancy posted:

To clarify, she's saying the claims that they're NOT ventilators is the fake news. I don't believe Elon Musk could find his way out of a cardboard box so of course I think there's some catch.

:sever:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

twoday posted:

during the Spanish Flu of 1918, it is theorized that cytokine storm also played a huge part. That flu killed a ton of young healthy people (usually above the age of 25 I believe), and they thought that the way it worked was that young people have healthier immune systems and stronger immune responses, so that's why the cytokine storm was so lethal. But oddly, the 18 and 20 year olds were much less affected. One theory to explain this is that the Russian flu, a milder pandemic that occurred in the 1890's, was the first major viral infection experienced by people in that age group, and that it reprogrammed their immune response in such a way that it created a loophole in their immune responses which the Spanish Flu was able to take advantage of. As COVID has shown us, cytokine storm does not necessarily favor the young, so this seems to make sense. This is also a good argument for vaccinations at birth

then again, if there were to be a pandemic of ultratuberculosis that takes advantage of a loophole created by BCG vaccine we would also be turbofucked so who knows

whats the uk situation re bcg because the deaths are taking off there

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cowpocalypse posted:

My sister-in-law RN works in a rural Missouri hospital and she's been venting a lot to me lately because "the situation is way worse than people here think".

It's a smaller hospital, their supplies are already dwindling, few can get proper PPE, ICU space is already strained, and now they've started to see cases of community spread COVID. She says there's pressure from the hospital to not talk about shortages. They have 10 ICU beds and aren't doing anything to create more space. The hospital staff is delusional, they think COVID is only a risk to big cities.

lol that owns

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Maybe Musk will give people the idea that CPAPs can work as ventilators and then people can start panic buying them.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

tiktoks of kids trolling their teachers on zoom are the only good thing this week

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

from the data linked:

looks like 18.7% from my math (74 + 1532) cases 44 and under / 8549 total cases in hospital

e: from same data source (https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page), death rate 44 and under appears to be 0.34%

It's about half that. You forgot 10k cases

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

D1E posted:

I take this to mean that young Americans are fatter and less healthy than young people from most other countries.

America is always number one!

it could be all that darn vaping

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Radirot posted:

let me guess, it's because vaping?

seems more like there is a nonzero number of cases and people are using it to write finger-wagging articles about how this isnt just killing old people

without context of how many total people are sick in each age group and how many of those people are hospitalized, its meaningless. of course some young people also get sick and die, some of them will also turn out to have undiagnosed risk factors

when theres evidence it kills young people at the same rate it kills old people, then this would be news

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Florida stay at home for 30 days order is a godsend.

https://weartv.com/news/local/gov-desantis-issues-stay-at-home-order-for-entire-state-of-florida

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Florida stay at home for 30 days order is a godsend.

Why? None of the stupid redneck redhat MAGA chud imbeciles are going to adhere to it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the florida governor doesn't want the plagueship to dismebark but trump says he's gonna let it do it lol my uncle's life depends on trump's goodwill jesus christ

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

陈冠状

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t believe killing the Romanovs is in any way controversial

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

D1E posted:

Why? None of the stupid redneck redhat MAGA chud imbeciles are going to adhere to it.

because it keeps loving disney, universal, hotels, and whatnot shuttered and no-go zones. Good.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

Maybe Musk will give people the idea that CPAPs can work as ventilators and then people can start panic buying them.

Elon: Today we are announcing the new line of Tesla Brand CPAP / Ventilator machines. Watch as we demonstrate their patented unbreakable outer shell.

*The stage manager tosses a bowling ball into the side of the silver cube. It leaves no dents but begins bellowing smoke.

Elon: Amazing!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

how close are we to a third 9/11

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

wouldn’t it make more sense to look at only closed cases when evaluating the cfr? so deaths/(deaths+recoveries)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Twoday where did you first pick up on this BCG thing

twoday is a watcher that has decided to intervene on humanities behalf

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

triple sulk posted:

how close are we to a third 9/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZcZ6eJoxeE

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Plank Walker posted:

from the data linked:

looks like 18.7% from my math (74 + 1532) cases 44 and under / 8549 total cases in hospital

e: from same data source (https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page), death rate 44 and under appears to be 0.34%

Wish they didn't lump 40 year olds in with people in their 20s. They're juicing the stats!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/BadFoxGraphics/status/1245376621646921730

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/svdate/status/1245412545906839553

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Its April 1st. Where's the red menace? The videos of landlords being brutalized?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

euphronius posted:

I can’t believe killing the Romanovs is in any way controversial

who cleans up the mess when you've abolished hierarchies?

and you know that one kid popped like a water balloon.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Cowpocalypse posted:

Yeah any time I've brought up the severity at work here in TN I usually get met with "well our demographics are better and we will be fine because there's less people" despite the state refusing Medicare expansion and shutting down like 10 rural hospitals in as many years.

:votegop:

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

poty posted:

whats the uk situation re bcg because the deaths are taking off there

If you're mid-30s+ then you've probably had it, otherwise you probably haven't

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/nonorganical/status/1245116554062303237

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
My husband called his parents to make sure they were staying put because his stepmother is super active but they're both old AF with some health concerns but they didn't answer the phone so he left them a message. Of course thinking worst case scenario and they're out mingling with spring breakers and religious groups while shaking hands his father calls him back. Turns out they were delivering food to the doorsteps of super old disabled widowers and are taking this seriously. It's crazy what the mind does when allowed to

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

from the data linked:

seems a little silly to lump 22 year olds and 43 year olds as the same health-wise but whatever

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Yeah any time I've brought up the severity at work here in TN I usually get met with "well our demographics are better and we will be fine because there's less people" despite the state refusing Medicare expansion and shutting down like 10 rural hospitals in as many years.

demographics are better ???

lamo

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Lol so the peak is now late April for nyc

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

Lol so the peak is now late April for nyc

the peak getting pushed back is a good thing

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

This thing is going to roll through the midwest like a wrecking ball, good god

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Taintrunner posted:

baaahahahaha that was the one I was thinking of. Jesus loving Christ

pathetic

Will the doctor who points out those are cpap machines get called a pedo by Musk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Radirot posted:

let me guess, it's because vaping?

Eating rear end was my guess