Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Contagion" also rules because it just kills several characters and doesn't really remark further on it they're just loving dead and put in a mass grave with hundreds of other dead people, and a lot of the key decisions are made by people who are barely in the movie. Really drives home the scope of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Schnorkles posted:

More cases mean more non-standard cases you maroons!

yes, also this

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dixville posted:

Like imagine patients that are being seen for covid that have a history of suicide attempts or even just mental issues on general. Do they get the ventilator before someone without those issues? I guess it's kinda paranoid to think about (thanks mental illness) but also kinda valid? Gonna be facing some major ethical decisions it seems.

triaging is about determining what patients will be most likely to recover with treatment given limited resources and being forced to choose, not whether the patients will make 100% use of their newfound grip on life

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dixville posted:

Like imagine patients that are being seen for covid that have a history of suicide attempts or even just mental issues on general. Do they get the ventilator before someone without those issues? I guess it's kinda paranoid to think about (thanks mental illness) but also kinda valid? Gonna be facing some major ethical decisions it seems.

luckily theres no single global "medical record" in the US so odds are if you show up in the ER with ards they won't know anything about suicide attempts or the like

they're going to need to know about the medications you're on, but antidepressants, anxiolytics and even anti-psychotics aren't that rare. young people that aren't on one of those probably should be anyway :v:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
its way too late in Florida and its gonna get worse than NY imho op

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Schnorkles posted:

Illinois had an infant death recently

:smith:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

the bcg vaccine is real

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1245436811222138880

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

not whether the patients will make 100% use of their newfound grip on life

however there are some that will "take matters into their own hands" like after katrina so it is a legitimate concern that should be mitigated against, no?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

triaging is about determining what patients will be most likely to recover with treatment given limited resources and being forced to choose, not whether the patients will make 100% use of their newfound grip on life

hmm sounds like commie RATIONING to me, not something that would ever happen under a truly capitalistic system

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

etalian posted:

A few hundred years from now (If the US even exsists) they will probably have a museum with mass grave skeletons they were buried with their red MAGA hats.

Will be easy to explain to the kids that this weird quack medicine believing death cult was poorly equipped to deal with a pandemic.

'absolutely bizarre funeral rites. they'd purposely infect themselves and go to what we believe was a temple named The Golden Corral, so they could pretend to be something called a cowboy.'

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
+24,000 cases yesterday

already +20,000 yesterday, 1pm pacific

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Big Chonker Gato vaccine

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

My roommate who has been isolating at his parents for 3 weeks after travelling decided he's going to drive back here and is talking about stopping at a few friends' places along the way in the group chat. RIP me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

(orange means no vaccine given to children)

https://ghresearch.org/covid-19/could-bcg-vaccination-revaccination-protect-against-sars-cov2-disease/

although, a 12 year old girl died in Belgium yesterday and I don't think that many kids in the US are dying, are they?

Now that you've successfully called this weeks early, you need to cash in by hawking some bullshit cure like Jude Law in "Contagion".

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Starks posted:

My roommate who has been isolating at his parents for 3 weeks after travelling decided he's going to drive back here and is talking about stopping at a few friends' places along the way in the group chat. RIP me.

change the locks

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

hobbesmaster posted:

luckily theres no single global "medical record" in the US so odds are if you show up in the ER with ards they won't know anything about suicide attempts or the like

they're going to need to know about the medications you're on, but antidepressants, anxiolytics and even anti-psychotics aren't that rare. young people that aren't on one of those probably should be anyway :v:

That's true. I dunno what made me think of it I guess I was thinking more along the lines of 2 patients equal in every way except the mental illness and odds are those aren't really the decisions being made. Ignore me y'all I'm just finding another thing to be paranoid about.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This person is apparently complaining about Italian doctors prioritizing people who can be saved over people who are doomed and dying. It's lib brainworms.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

PostNouveau posted:

Now that you've successfully called this weeks early, you need to cash in by hawking some bullshit cure like Jude Law in "Contagion".

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Flooger posted:

I started smoking again this week. Smoke free since like September . Genius loving move to start back.

I quit smoking at the first of the year, and switch over to a Juul. I jbought a carton of cigarettes this weekend to store in my freezer for when the poo poo hits the fan

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
they should triage by job. if you are a ceo or similar you get 3 ventilators, one for each lung and a backup. next tier gets 2 vents each, then 1. the rest of us have to share a single ventilator which is just a giant iron lung we all live in together.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

2DCAT posted:

im beginning to think that my healing crystals do nothing against covid19
You actually need JO crystals. Common mistake.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dixville posted:

Well I'd like to think medical professionals aren't into eugenics as they dedicate their lives to saving people but I guess there can always be a few bad apples. Kind of scary to think about. Up to now the only triage I've heard of has been not choosing to put really old people on ventilators since they are not likely to ever get off of them. But I'm sure plenty of tricky decisions are being made and will be even more as time goes on. With probably not a lot of oversight. It's just up to the doctors and other health care personnel. Huh

this person is an idiot saying that the doctors in italy who had no choice but to give ventilators to younger, healthier people when they ran out is eugenics.

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

About half an hour outside of Augusta, GA. A kindgoon was nice enough to link me a food help thingy but they don't deliver this far out. I'm an asthmatic with MS and a bunch of other health problems but I'm also only 33. But I'm also round like a pumpkin. Will I die on my upcoming food trip sometime later this week? who knows! I have amazing folks willing to ship me stuff but I need stuff that can't be shipped (like hay). I also have n95 masks and gloves, so maybe not!

This shouldn't be a concern in a 1st world country, though :lol:

You live an hour and a half from Atlanta, right? There is Prime shipping, maybe that can help.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

thus sayeth the polls :hai:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Pussy Quipped posted:

How come the US is the only place where kids are dying.

hospitals are falling apart and a cesspool of virus transmission right now. nurses have to reuse one mask all week and doctors are getting sick and dropping like flies. that's the environment babies are being born into right now. it's very, very not good.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this person is an idiot saying that the doctors in italy who had no choice but to give ventilators to younger, healthier people when they ran out is eugenics.

I see. Yeah that's pretty dumb... the people not being saved are probably past reproductive age even so it really doesn't even make sense.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

cyka blyat posted:

You live an hour and a half from Atlanta, right? There is Prime shipping, maybe that can help.

About three and a half hours :lol:

mod sassinator posted:

hospitals are falling apart and a cesspool of virus transmission right now. nurses have to reuse one mask all week and doctors are getting sick and dropping like flies. that's the environment babies are being born into right now. it's very, very not good.

serious question: what the gently caress do we do when all the doctors have it and there's like 1 per hospital that doesn't?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

serious question: what the gently caress do we do when all the doctors have it and there's like 1 per hospital that doesn't?

Well, eventually 98% of them will get better and they can be forced back to work.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j5NHPQXutQ

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
good news

https://twitter.com/PaulHannon29/status/1245441953715630088

no wait thats bad news

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Well, eventually 98% of them will get better and they can be forced back to work.

I wouldn't be surprised if CFR in medical workers wasn't significantly higher on account of them being absolutely saturated in virus

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

PostNouveau posted:

Praise Baal

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
So our warehouse has been shipping for the last two weeks because the CEO decided that we qualified as essential (we definitely aren't) and today I found out that most of our senior management believe it's either a hoax or a Chinese bioweapon

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We die, quietly, for the glory of Number. Billionaires are past letting us die and are actively trying to kill us.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The problem is there are some smart solutions to this problem, but there are also some really dumb ones, and the US will choose the dumb ones every time.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

also obvious

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Epic High Five posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if CFR in medical workers wasn't significantly higher on account of them being absolutely saturated in virus

I think this was being reported on early on because doctors were dying at pretty high rates compared to the general population. Also all the stress and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

im like a couple of days away from doing this irl but with n95 masks or at least surgical masks