Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

How's your mortgage rate?

Lmao

I just got a call this morning about refinancing my mortgage. I mean I do want to move from a 30 year to a 15 year, but I also don't want to go through all the bullshit again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

poty posted:

its not im wrong its 0.1%

math is on quarantine

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lawman 0 posted:

India was never a nation state in the first place.

a yup. gonna be a wild ride.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
it would be eugenics if the the Italians didn't give ventilators to immigrants

Ironically, many healthcare workers in the UK and most immigrants in Italy come from developing countries where BCG vaccinations are mandatory

a while back in the Italian media there were reports swirling around that unlike native Italians, African immigrants were not falling ill, which led to a rumor spreading around twitter that "African blood" makes you immune to COVID-19. I am not going to look for the original reports I google-translated from Italian a month ago but this more recent article gives you the gist:

https://gloria.tv/post/HZJgRfuBftKF2AZmTUGZnyP7M

here is some of the twitter rumor:

https://twitter.com/moneyglenn2/status/1238256112820015104?s=20

https://twitter.com/MrJWells619/status/1237184078916521986?s=20

https://twitter.com/iamdebbie30/status/1228310284571377664?s=20

which could be in a sense true, if it turns out that the blood of African migrants is more likely to contain an effective vaccine

unfortunately this rumor made its way to the US, where this would not be the case, and belief in such an idea would have negative consequences

twoday has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Apr 1, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

It's funny because no matter what narrative the right tries to latch onto (except china is lying about millions dead) is that it fatally undermines western white chauvinism

Not to mention how Asian countries like South Korea, Singapore, China and Taiwan used really innovative solutions to keep their case count from spiking up over time.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Epic High Five posted:

100% it will be, probably the worst in the world, it's just gonna be years and years before we get any real numbers on their outbreak

Yeah, Mexico and Brazil are going to be really bad too. As much as people on C-SPAM claim otherwise and as much as the US does suck in a lot of ways we haven't seen this epidemic get rip-roaring in an actual developing country yet.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Fasdar posted:

This tool doesn't make a ton of sense, and it is difficult to see what they are actually loading into their index of vulnerability. If you want something that's a little more illuminating, and that integrates actual census data and American Community Survey data, try the CDC's SVI: https://svi.cdc.gov/map.html Note: this is only looking at community characteristics like poverty/education, etc.

For info on ICU beds, this looks like an interesting tool some corpos put together:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8c4dcccd9e3845eb89f6401f919007f2

Heres another.

USA the most ready country against a pandemia, China among the less.

In the Wonderfull world of Numbers, Only Silverbullets Matter, and Experts Shut the gently caress Up when Suit Guys Talk

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wow Emperor Xi of all under heaven!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

I legitimately think the country is falling apart around us. In a month it is going to be loving bonkers. IF we even make it a month, christ.

happy to live west of the cascades, tbh

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

anime was right posted:

the election is 100% getting called off because of this and there's gonna be riots. very cool!

I mean, do most people in this thread really think this?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Wow Emperor Xi of all under heaven!

How long until the US gets a Yellow turban movement?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

etalian posted:

Not to mention how Asian countries like South Korea, Singapore, China and Taiwan used really innovative solutions to keep their case count from spiking up over time.

*crying while hugging Tolkien* NO DON'T YOU SEE ASIANS CAN'T INNOVATE CORRECTLY

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

At some point they're just going to stop counting the dead bodies over there. The world will probably never know the true extent of this disaster.

Prolly have about two weeks until we get there, strap in!

when was their first case found on the timeline compared to that Trump+Modi summit where they crammed like 100k people into a stadium

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

As a rule of thumb you should multiply confirmed cases by 10 to get actual cases which covers people sick at home and never sought treatment, asymtomatic carriers and people still in the early stages of infection so we'll be at like 3 million on Saturday, yeah.-

hell yeah vindicated by accident

but 3 million would still just be 1%

stupid math

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

etalian posted:

How long until the US gets a Yellow turban movement?

Within 5 years

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

yellow hat movement

it's real

lmaopocalypse
Mar 16, 2020

LionArcher posted:

It's certainly plausible

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

sum posted:

The number #1 bioweapon strategy is to have it almost exclusively kill the elderly and infirm, and also to forget to develop a vaccine for it so it affects your country precisely as badly as the enemy's

Yeah that's my rationale for why bioweapon stuff is nonsense, this virus would make an absolutely terrible and uncontrollable weapon.

For some fun history back in the heyday of the cold war they were designing all kinds of things beyond hydrogen bombs. We've all heard of neutron bombs which are meant to destroy life with a blast of neutrons but limit the explosive nature of the bomb to keep buildings intact (perfect for invading a country and wiping out the people but saving the factories to use yourself). Well there was another bomb of that type they designed but never built, the cobalt bomb: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt_bomb This thing was purposefully designed to end all life on a planet, period. It throws up an enormous cloud of highly radioactive fallout that poisons all the plants and slowly destroys the world. The never built it because, holy gently caress why would you build a weapon like that.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah that's my rationale for why bioweapon stuff is nonsense, this virus would make an absolutely terrible and uncontrollable weapon.

Yeah like lyme disease.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tei posted:

Heres another.

In the Wonderfull world of Numbers, Only Silverbullets Matter, and Experts Shut the gently caress Up when Suit Guys Talk

reminds me of those "Personal Freedoms and Liberties Index" things chud think tanks make up that always have like, 1830-1850 in the US as the most free the people in a country have ever been in history lmao

I wouldn't be surprised if "most prepared for pandemic" stuff just straight up measured how much money is spent on healthcare, which of course we're on top, we just don't get the best outcomes and it's horrendously inefficient

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

sum posted:

The number #1 bioweapon strategy is to have it almost exclusively kill the elderly and infirm, and also to forget to develop a vaccine for it so it affects your country precisely as badly as the enemy's

also it should be really infectious so that it quickly spreads around the world and back into your own country

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

LionArcher posted:

I can’t imagine most people in this thread haven’t seriously entertained the delaying of the US election as a possibility.

whether it happens... :shrug:

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The other scary thing in regards to India's outbreak, they are blaming a Muslim sect on it, which will lead to more violence and terror.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Tei posted:

Heres another.

This is actually a very good example of why indicators based analyses are garbage without an understanding of the context from which they're derived. The US looks great on paper, and should be able to handle this kind of an issue - as we have in other cases! But governance - something organizations like the WHO and the UN are only allowed to criticize poor countries for - is left out of the picture when we think of the world that way. And since we are run by a kakistocracy, we face untold horror, despite the tools and capacities to bend reality toward another path.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://twitter.com/JovanaXYZ/status/1245380586329575424?s=20

So Sweden is still doing the BoJo's failed "herd immunity" thing.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jon Irenicus posted:

should I be making an offer on a house right now y/n

yes buy mine, move to baltimore, it's a great place

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

twoday posted:

which could be in a sense true, if it turns out that the blood of African migrants is more likely to contain an effective vaccine

unfortunately this rumor made its way to the US, where this would not be the case, and belief in such an idea would have negative consequences

See, for example, Milwaukee where the black infection rate is 4 times that of whites and where the demographic with the most cases is middle aged black men

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Some scientist claims they have a cure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV-nWT2VLuI

Would still be like a year of testing and manufacture and distribution

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

hahaha hobby lobby tried to reopen in wi and oh

ignore what that sign says. the local cops shut their asses down.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jon Irenicus posted:

Unless you have perfect credit probably not, mortgage processors are starting to deny applications for anyone with a credit score under 780

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

lol I have like 15 or more clients who want to apply for every small business loan being offered. the one for Payroll opens Friday. all this on top of the normal tax season insanity. I’m grateful to be working, but there is absolutely no way we can help everyone that needs our help right now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

Are the owners over 65, obese and or immunocompromised?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Apples McGrind posted:

I can’t imagine most people in this thread haven’t seriously entertained the delaying of the US election as a possibility.

I think he will want to, but I don’t think he has the balls to actually do it.

and if he does it would cause riots. and not like just a few either.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

If you can refinance do it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wait a year and banks will be writing everybody with a job heartfelt letters as to why you should choose them for a 0.01% mortgage on that house that just halved in price

time for payback, motherfuckers

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LionArcher posted:

I think he will want to, but I don’t think he has the balls to actually do it.

and if he does it would cause riots. and not like just a few either.

i think it will happen solely because its "unfair he had to run an election during this crisis" and for "public safety." it'll get whispered in his ear by miller prob.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LionArcher posted:

and if he does it would cause riots

I sincerely don't believe this

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

Really it depends. If you don’t give a poo poo about
home value and treat it as a means to own a house instead of as an investment opportunity then sure. If you wait though prices will more than likely drop within 6-9 months.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Holy poo poo the US response is somehow even more embarrassing than I imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Apples McGrind posted:

I'm pretty sure this thread (or the last one) has "seriously entertained" that possibility at least three or four times.