Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

IIRC CA is the 5th largest economy largely on the back of Silicon Valley, which as we all know isn't worth even 5% of what "the market" says it is.

"Economic activity" is typically measured as GDP, not company valuations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
SV computer touching poo poo is much easier to do from home than other industrial sectors, so if you had a to pick an industry to be a big part of your economy during a pandemic you could do a lot worse.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

IIRC CA is the 5th largest economy largely on the back of Silicon Valley, which as we all know isn't worth even 5% of what "the market" says it is.

it's mostly the FIRE sector

e: that is the biggest part of gdp as it is measured both in california and the us in general

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 1, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does Hollywood not account for a lot of that or does it get underreported because of Hollywood accounting? Like I imagine it's a not insignificant percent of the entertainment industry, but maybe I just get lost amidst all the billion dollar box offices and whatnot.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

GrandpaPants posted:

Does Hollywood not account for a lot of that or does it get underreported because of Hollywood accounting? Like I imagine it's a not insignificant percent of the entertainment industry, but maybe I just get lost amidst all the billion dollar box offices and whatnot.

Well here's a graph from Wikipedia

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1245475690713055232

What the gently caress?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Q anon guy who went off the rails

edit: lol I didn't even mean to make a pun

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 2, 2020

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I see traffic is picking back up, businesses are taking a risk to pay the bills. This is hosed.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I see traffic is picking back up, businesses are taking a risk to pay the bills. This is hosed.

I noticed this yesterday when I went to costco to the pharmacy that there was quite a bit of traffic

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Yeah I have no idea what another month of this is going to look like

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FCKGW posted:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

FCKGW posted:

:golfclap:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aeka 2.0 posted:

People saw how clear the skies were and recoiled in horror.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

went outside to pick up some groceries someone dropped off

in those 5 minutes i saw 5+ different people with no masks/face covering or gloves. one of them walked right between me and the person who dropped off my groceries (both of us masked), as we were talking to each other with a 10 foot gap between us lol

my building even has a little disinfectant wipe dispenser in the lobby, right next to the mail boxes. perfect for using to open the various doors throughout the building, or to clean your hands when you come inside. fuckin nobody uses them :sad:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Where I work, the nearby employees from another business were playing loving basketball on their lunch break in their yard. Couldn't loving believe it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rah! posted:

went outside to pick up some groceries someone dropped off

in those 5 minutes i saw 5+ different people with no masks/face covering or gloves. one of them walked right between me and the person who dropped off my groceries (both of us masked), as we were talking to each other with a 10 foot gap between us lol

my building even has a little disinfectant wipe dispenser in the lobby, right next to the mail boxes. perfect for using to open the various doors throughout the building, or to clean your hands when you come inside. fuckin nobody uses them :sad:

masks and gloves are still sold out everywhere

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

masks and gloves are still sold out everywhere

you can put a bandana over your face at least

or at least not stand right next to other people who are clearly trying to do the social distancing thing

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Stopped by a small hardware store today during a walk (bay area). Bought a work lamp and a 4-pack of toilet paper (!)

There were a ton of contractors in there, none of whom were wearing masks. None of the employees either, though at least they were wearing gloves.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
So like it or not, the data that CA just published pretty much is quite conclusive in suggesting that the bay area has highly flattened the curve and that there is limited spread.

In the last day, there have been basically 0 new net positive people who have needed to be in the hospital. That's insane for the county which had CA's initial outbreak. The number of deaths and number of cases, except for the one day Santa Clara hosed up in reporting, have been pretty much consistently even for the last 3-4 weeks.

All of this data is available here: https://data.chhs.ca.gov/

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
On the other hand, there are over 50k tests on backlog because Quest accepted way more tests than it had the capacity to process

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hmmmm. The data on that website doesn't match the data that my county is providing - my county's totals are a TON higher. I would take it with a grain of salt

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
read it carefully - the numbers there are hospitalizations, not total positive cases.

I would trust this data because it's on the california government website.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

ntan1 posted:

read it carefully - the numbers there are hospitalizations, not total positive cases.

I would trust this data because it's on the california government website.

I see that the graph you posted is, but I don't see any such caveat on this one: https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19PublicDashboard/Covid-19Public?:embed=y&:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no and that one shows WAY less cases than my own county health website shows.

edit: I guess it's probably just a day behind my county website, given the nature of the problem we're facing

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Where I work, the nearby employees from another business were playing loving basketball on their lunch break in their yard. Couldn't loving believe it.

lol i saw people playing basketball in the panhandle on friday

at least one person was playing wearing purple dish gloves to be safe!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Rah! posted:

I thought that was completely ineffective at stopping you from getting it, and only an N95 mask/respirator is sufficient, or has that advice changed?

e:

Okay, I read that maybe they're not completely ineffective, but not highly effective either, sorry for the misinformation.

I also heard (and can confirm from experience) that masks are pretty good at making you want to touch your face :v:

Buttcoin purse fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 2, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They're recommending a face covering /mask whenever you go out now. Likely to make sure anyone that's asymptomatic doesn't accidentally Typhoid Mary everyone. Might also help people from touching their faces and poo poo.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

They're recommending a face covering /mask whenever you go out now.
Finally my terrible allergies pay off and I'll be able to wear my mask into town.

Just picking up food.
(I'll still get it when I scratch my ear or whatever and die a horrible and painful death)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BeAuMaN posted:

Finally my terrible allergies pay off and I'll be able to wear my mask into town.

Just picking up food.
(I'll still get it when I scratch my ear or whatever and die a horrible and painful death)

Douse yourself with Vitamin C 1000 MG packets and you should be A-OK

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Smear my armpits with bananas too I hear.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Buttcoin purse posted:

I thought that was completely ineffective at stopping you from getting it, and only an N95 mask/respirator is sufficient, or has that advice changed?

e:

Okay, I read that maybe they're not completely ineffective, but not highly effective either, sorry for the misinformation.

I also heard (and can confirm from experience) that masks are pretty good at making you want to touch your face :v:

Yeah, I think we're coming to the idea that (non-95 masks) masks don't help prevent you from catching Covid-19, but can help reduce your ability to spread it if you're an asymptomatic spreader

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Glumslinger posted:

asymptomatic spreader

Title of my sex tape

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

On the other hand, there are over 50k tests on backlog because Quest accepted way more tests than it had the capacity to process

Got an article on this? As someone who has had to pee in a cup many times in my life for Quest, I wonder if they're still using resources on employee drug tests

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Got an article on this? As someone who has had to pee in a cup many times in my life for Quest, I wonder if they're still using resources on employee drug tests

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/next-covid-19-testing-crisis/609193/

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

:guillotine:

Guysmiley
Jan 29, 2004

clownshoes
Not sure I can trust those numbers. In my county they're only testing people who are severely ill, and who are over the age of 60 or who have been in contact with someone who's tested positive. So if you're in your twenties and experiencing the symptoms---pneumonia, high fever, dry cough, etc.---you're not getting tested unless your condition is deemed severe AND the person you think you caught it from has tested positive. Between private insurance and an apparent shortfall of testing kits, that's how your options shake out.

Plus, how many people are avoiding going to the hospital because they can't afford it? Point is, you don't know, so why start celebrating that we've flattened the curve here already? Though I'll admit that New York is doing much worse right now.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Epidemiologists HATE Quest Diagnostics after they discover ONE WEIRD TRICK to slow confirmed coronavirus cases!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Rah! posted:

or at least not stand right next to other people who are clearly trying to do the social distancing thing

Also sold out of those!

Sorry there isn't enough supply of these to get to everyone.

As retail employee, I hope you do not visit one of our stores or a grocery store in person and freak out for the lack of ppe because there is no ppe.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Our beloved silver fox philosopher king has banned water shutoffs which, while nice, is another one of those things I assumed already happened weeks ago.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-newsom-bans-water-shutoffs-for-customers-with-overdue-bills/

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What about the people who've already had their water shut off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What about the people who've already had their water shut off

The order specifies that any shutoffs after March 4th need to be reversed. Should go further back but at least they didn't ignore the issue completely.

Oh, and the order states that you're still on the hook for the full bill and nothing keeps the water service from adding to the tab, so consider this one more can kicked down the road for people who can't dig themselves out of the ever deepening hole of overdue bills.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1246101690790621186?s=20

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 3, 2020