Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Look at all you scrubs who didn't back Far West. :smug:

Hey I backed the second edition of Tales from the Floating Vagabond like six years ago. About a year after Garvin died, I randomly got an update from some friend of his who has access to his kickstarter poo poo now apparently and decided to update everyone on how there's a team working on doing something with the property. It was like getting an email from a ghost's hacky friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

pseudodragon posted:

At least you get a good workout lugging your 10 pound dice bag everywhere.

Jokes on them, I already was!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I've done pretty well, Lost Citadel just released on pdf and was my oldest. Other than that the only outstanding one that should have come out by now is the Dreamers Arcana tarot one from a goon I read about here. They posted on KS that the decks were in back in september, last chance to update addresses, then nothing since per all the upset people in the comments. I backed late through indiegogo so have heard nothing directly myself.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'm not gonna lie, I'd really love to see the "there's got to be a better way!!"-type infomercial clip for the problems with regular dice that this claims to solve. They mention saving time, and something about situations where you don't have the elbow space(wtf).

Also, does it look more like a doorknob, or a buttplug? I can't decide.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

El Fideo posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I'd really love to see the "there's got to be a better way!!"-type infomercial clip for the problems with regular dice that this claims to solve. They mention saving time, and something about situations where you don't have the elbow space(wtf).

Also, does it look more like a doorknob, or a buttplug? I can't decide.

I guess it'll never clatter off the table and get batted under the stove by a cat.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I've seen a similar idea on kickstarter, dice coins. More of a top, really, but they seemed to take less time than this thing(Still more than just dropping a die, let alone doing it with more than one) because you were supposed to stop the spinning with your finger, and the result was the number to the left of your finger. They were marketed as a cute novelty, and they cost less than $5 each.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Tang Garden arrived for me a few weeks ago so maybe you'll be in luck soon.

It was by far my most delayed one too, at least relative to the predicted arrival date.

Well, they’re saying all the US ones have gone out, but I didn’t receive any shipping info. I’ll hit them up tomorrow and see what’s what.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The only KS I've backed that's still waiting is Siege of the Citadel and that was supposed to be shipping from China...three weeks ago.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Spellbound Kingdoms Arcana and Mountain Witch are my "I no longer expect to receive anything" projects. Cortex is late, but also providing regular updates so I do not have much issue there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm still excited for Siege of the Citadel, but it's sad that Prodos already pulled the plug on Mutant Chronicles.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

MollyMetroid posted:

Spellbound Kingdoms Arcana and Mountain Witch are my "I no longer expect to receive anything" projects. Cortex is late, but also providing regular updates so I do not have much issue there.

I read a very fascinating article about the cult that Mountain Witch guy gave all his Kickstarter money to.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Lumbermouth posted:

I read a very fascinating article about the cult that Mountain Witch guy gave all his Kickstarter money to.

Got a link? I'd like to know where my money went.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MollyMetroid posted:

A drat shame about Arcana, that's a game that wanted an expansion.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I consider myself kinda lucky. Going into more detail...

Deck of Legends was officially killed, no refunds, etc.
Project: Dark, due August 2014 and somehow still being updated. Rarely. Kind of still expect to see it though?
Katanas & Trenchcoats, due January 2017 and also still getting updates a few times a year, don't ever expect to see it
Cortex Prime, January 2018, but with regular updates and also apparently being part of FANDOM now? Definitely expect to see it.
Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana, December 2017, almost complete radio silence. Past two updates were July 2019 and before that July 2018. Given up hope.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

LongDarkNight posted:

Got a link? I'd like to know where my money went.

Someone posted it on the Kickstarter comments.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Aw, I backed that. That really makes me sad if that's where the money went.

Edit: The only other Kickstarter I really regret backing is Kamigakari, the last RPG project I ever backed solely on its premise (hard lessons learned). Everything else I've received or expect to receive soon.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This is a kickstarter for a tabletop game called The Cloud Dungeon 2: Sunken Dungeon. It is a game where you do some papercrafting and coloring and it looks very cute and fun. The dev has made stuff like this before but I don't know if they were fun or not. Regardless, I thought this looked like an interesting and engaging take on a dungeon crawl game and I thought it would be worth linking.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andhegames/sunken-dungeon-a-colorable-rpg-the-cloud-dungeon-2/description

The other reason I wanted to link it is that in the pitch video, the creator talks about how he wants everyone to be able to enjoy the game and that he knows that times are hard right now so if anyone wants the game but can't pay for it, then you can send him a message and he'll send you a free print n play version when it is done. However, they still need to make money to fund it and turn a profit, so there is a pledge tier for people who want to get their own copy but also want to pay extra to cover for the price of those free copies and you'll get some extra goodies with the game then.

I think it is a very heartwarming way of trying to get their product out there so that people who can't afford it can still get a copy and people who can afford it can cover for those who can't.

https://i.imgur.com/mPFh5TV.mp4

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've pledged to a couple of Cloud Dungeon and related projects. They're really cute, and the dude's always come through.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I backed Exspelled, though I'm waiting for my niece and nephew to both get to reading age before I spring it on them. It looks fun!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I went in for Kamikagari and even though refunds were offered I honestly didn't expect those to be honored but now it's being worked on anyway, and it's always kind of a startle when I see an update (which have been semi-regular after somebody came in to pick it up after the KS creator's meltdown).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I backed Last Sword's The Jungle's Awakening kickstarter for some sweet alternative lizardmen. They were behind schedule but not terribly so and were even starting a new Kickstarter to expand their elf range when coronavirus hit Spain. Last update was, "We're fine but Spain is in shutdown," and there's been nothing since.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fragged Kingdom/Aeternum/Empire looks like it just released its PDFs.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
My oldest outstanding Kickstarter is this poo poo, which I backed when I was young and reckless. My second oldest is Evil Dead 2 Board Game which was another hard lesson, but is being fulfilled by some cool dudes in the board game industry so hooray!

After that I think my oldest outstanding non-vidya one is Cortex Prime, which I'm glad is finally chugging along but other than that...no comment. My next oldest just came in today, Bloody-Handed Name of Bronze so I guess other than that I don't have any that are astonishingly out of date any more. Yay!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This dice project is my oldest unfulfilled project, and given that the last update was from January 2016, looks like that's never changing.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

im never gonna run a kickstarter. you got like 50/50 odds of becoming nightmarishly ill from that poo poo

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It makes sense when you factor in that every week you run a kickstarter takes a year off of your life.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So something I backed a while back called A Dead Man's Guide to Dragongrin has finally been released as a single PDF. They had some issues due to the scale of the project, but had been delivering bits and pieces of the content as completed before compiling it all into the final book. Still some work to be done, proofreading and art, but the book is otherwise the final content.

It's material for 5th Edition, and there's a lot packed into there. Rather than just being a setting very lightly painted over the 5e chassis, it changes a lot of things up especially in regards to character creation. Normalizing stat allocation, and splitting where your stats and features come from between your Heritage(race) and your Culture. Which is very very much like Pathfinder. Beyond that there's new mechanics relating to the environment of the world, plus a lot of information about the setting overall. I think the only thing really missing is a short adventure, maybe?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

It makes sense when you factor in that every week you run a kickstarter takes a year off of your life.

you've done three, right? you've crushed the odds

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I think I’m doing this wrong. I haven’t backed anything that hasn’t delivered.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Doctor Zero posted:

Same here. I'm currently waiting on some stuff that is understandably delayed but I am confident that all of them will arrive in at least a semi respectable time frame. Catacombs was a little late, Root is probably the most delayed thing I've backed and a few others are about to ship without too much delay all things considered. I need to up my Kickstarter game apparently.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've backed 174 kickstarters and only had about 7 or 8 that didn't deliver.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My rule is that if it's a one person project don't back it. I think I have a failure rate of around 50% with those. Everything else is fine.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Doctor Zero posted:

I mean, I'm at only a handful out of like a hundred projects that haven't delivered anything. There's some that are missing stretch goals, but eh.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I'm about 99% on getting stuff fulfilled, but I finally got around to starting Journal 29 a few weeks ago and noticed I had gotten sent book 2, and a second book 2, but with the book 1 wrapping, so I never noticed it was wrong until then.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The golden rule is "if it seems like they're promising too much for too little money and/or too soon, don't back it."

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lemon-Lime posted:

The golden rule is "if it seems like they're promising too much for too little money and/or too soon, don't back it."

Sometimes you get stuff like the Infinity and Conan RPGs, but almost never. A ton of nice quality pdfs for like 65 bucks. Games are fun to play, if weird in spots.

Sometimes you get 7th Sea which is both a good value for the money, but also will never deliver everything now that the wheels fell off. The people at Chaosium are either saints or morons for taking that burden on.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I also have yet to run into a Kickstarter not delivering, I have had a couple not meet their goal though. To be fair I've also only backed like 25 things in the past 3-4 years.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My rule is that if it's a one person project don't back it. I think I have a failure rate of around 50% with those. Everything else is fine.

I think it's riskiest if it's someone's first rodeo and they're going straight from Grand Vision to Finished Product.

Good Intentions aside, kickstarter basically requires you to know everything (costs, timelines, hitches and roadblocks, etc) up front (and be correct about them up front, because there isn't a do-over) so people doing it all for the first time run a big risk of getting it wrong.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I only have a few that never panned out, and a few more that are apparently still somewhere in development hell. I'm surprised, because I started way back when you'd see loopily complex projects with asks of maybe a few tens of thousands, and neither developer nor backer realised what they were in for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I'm still waiting on a video game from like 20153, and those guys were supposedly long term veterans of developing video games.

As for Tradgames, I think Pirate World is the oldest one I haven't got.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 3, 2020