Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Chris James 2 posted:

Here's a visual

Should have used a log scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Here's a visual

this vertical scale is too generous, this one is much better

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn’t unemployment kinda a goal of shutting everything down? Like it’s just a measure of stay at home order effectiveness minus essential employees minus wfh.

Seems like our gov is afraid to admit that so we also don’t have to admit that we need a huge increase in benefits and no rent etc

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

AceOfFlames posted:

Even though I am in a completely other country, I feel like I am going insane. My coworkers are more productive than ever and I feel like screaming "WHY ARE YOU WORKING SO HARD? WE ARE ALL GOING TO BECOME HOMELESS FOREVER!" I know the standard advice is "don't watch the news" but is shielding yourself from the truth a healthy attitude?

i think people are in denial of the nature of this catastrophe and keeping your head down and working is a great way to avoid the unpleasant thoughts associated with the goings on

that is how it has been at my workplace as well

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1245699228158099456?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Here's a visual

that’s just the beginning lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Acelerion posted:

You have to accept that the relationship between stock number and actual financial performance is passing at best. From there, hell, youre ready to trade!

uber and various other fake companies are going to have record high profits when people stop using their loss generating services! buy buy buy!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

If I lose my job, I might as well hope I die of a heart attack since I will have literally nothing left. I don't know what to do.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

this is a great time for insane charts

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Yes yes

Thanks for pointing it out on Twitter.

I am sure he will be best now.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

people have been taught that their employment defines them. as a person and how they're valued in society... once that breaks there's very little sense of self to fall back on

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

So the unemployment rate is growing exponentially just like covid cases, huh?

How do we stop the spread when we are all standing in bread lines?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

NofrikinfuN posted:

just don't have breadlines. bing bong, so simple

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

NofrikinfuN posted:

So the unemployment rate is growing exponentially just like covid cases, huh?

Amazon will probably figure that one out for us.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

on the plus side the patches of raw angry skin on the back of my hands that were developing due to handwashing have really cleared up nicely since i started moisturizing

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

upgunned shitpost posted:

people have been taught that their employment defines them. as a person and how they're valued in society... once that breaks there's very little sense of self to fall back on

I'm very proud of my posting history

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Flat Daddy posted:

Isn’t unemployment kinda a goal of shutting everything down? Like it’s just a measure of stay at home order effectiveness minus essential employees minus wfh.

Seems like our gov is afraid to admit that so we also don’t have to admit that we need a huge increase in benefits and no rent etc

Kinda, I think. Like these people would have been re-hire had the lock-down lasted 1 week. But since bussines have montly costs ( like payments for debts ) stopping activity actually kill them. Going back and re-starting the economy could look simple, but if your customers are also dirt-poor now, you are not going to see things moving again quick.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

normal tweet from the president

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm very proud of my posting history

:same:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

CODChimera posted:

how does that make sense in any reality

the stock market has zero relationship to reality and i don't get why people keep being surprised by that

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Woofer posted:

Yes yes

Thanks for pointing it out on Twitter.

I am sure he will be best now.

#bebest #wheresmelanie

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

CODChimera posted:

how does that make sense in any reality

think of all the payroll those companies are going to save

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/jbenton/status/1245696846753935360

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Over Easy posted:

i think people are in denial of the nature of this catastrophe and keeping your head down and working is a great way to avoid the unpleasant thoughts associated with the goings on

that is how it has been at my workplace as well

"why aren't you people paralyzed in fear and crouching under your dinner table like wise old me?? "

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

AceOfFlames posted:

Even though I am in a completely other country, I feel like I am going insane. My coworkers are more productive than ever and I feel like screaming "WHY ARE YOU WORKING SO HARD? WE ARE ALL GOING TO BECOME HOMELESS FOREVER!" I know the standard advice is "don't watch the news" but is shielding yourself from the truth a healthy attitude?

for you especially, yes

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Crusader posted:

music for the soul :peanut:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Brother, can you spare a dime? :staredog:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Victory Position posted:

music for the soul :peanut:

https://twitter.com/danalobad/status/1245482849266028544

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Crusader posted:

it just occurred to me that capitalists are going to start writing the history now that this was due to covid like it was some external, unforeseeable act of god, as opposed to an inevitability of capitalism itself for which this just happened to be the critical catalyst

they were already trying to do that with climate change but it was harder to launder there because of the timescale

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

tbf, i have to travel more than two miles to go pretty much anywhere

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JayElHarris/status/1245458636123619330

I genuinely don't know where I'm going to live next year at this point. I still had some savings that wasn't going to student loans that I was in the middle of looking for a new home with while job searching, but :lol: that's on hold indefinitely now, meanwhile my loans are still being paid and I don't know if/when they're getting suspended. If this goes till October/November I won't have enough to leave; if this goes till next March/April I won't have anything

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Breaking:

Lmao

:stare:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

AceOfFlames posted:

catastrophizing

ffs you're in a loop, go walk outside

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

I just realized that this is not, in fact, Florida congressman Matt Gaetz.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/andishehnouraee/status/1245513642319151110

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

wow thank god we have COBRA!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
thank god, the emergency supplies came in yesterday

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Flat Daddy posted:

Yes but you need a competent and caring government to step in to stop millions from becoming homeless and starved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

I just realized that this is not, in fact, Florida congressman Matt Gaetz.

theres a joke on journalist twitter about how much hate mail he gets from people that think hes the chud congressman