Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

i loving hate how the centrists who refused to ever get on board iwth corbyn constantly complain about factionalism

lol its true, all factions agree

e: im not gonna vote for their ghoul unless they work for my vote, so i dont expect anything diff from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I have long since gone past specific things I hate and just... generally hate. I don't have time for specifics, there's far too many things to direct it at.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My wife's employer seem to think they are going to furlough some people for three weeks, the bring them back, and furlough a different group of people for 3 weeks, bring them back etc

That isn't how it works surely?

https://www.lewissilkin.com/en/insights/furloughing-employefaqs-for-employers-on-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme seems to suggest that

quote:

An employee must be furloughed for a minimum period of 3 weeks. A furloughed employee can then return to work, and put on furlough again later if needed.

To quote the police though, it's certainly not in the spirit of the rules.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Depends on your mood, really.

I find that eventually one follows the other quite naturally

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Local coop still empty of loads of stuff: no pasta, rice, lentils or anything like that, and almost no veg. All the veggie protein stuff was gone too (Quorn/sausages/tofu)

Is this still caused by panic buying or is there a problem with supply chains?

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

josh04 posted:

Friend made this: https://whichisthebestthing.com/

It's extremely addictive. I'll see about getting the varieties of Monster Munch added to the database.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If people are still being told not to go to the shops (and working from home and not eating out) then they're going to be stressed for some time.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Some considerate souls who obviously are worried I'll get bored with self-isolation have gifted me a lovely complicated jig-saw to complete.*

*By which I mean that some absolute fuckers sometime during the last two weeks decided to kick in the rear light clusters on my spare-parts van (SORN source of bits for the running one). Vehicle is over 20 years old so almost never show up in breakers yards so I'm busy with super-glue and all the bits - all that flint refitting experience paying off! Second bit of vehicle vandalism this year - in January some (the same?) fuckers decided to smash off all 4 wing mirrors (2 on each van). In conclusion, cunts.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Local coop still empty of loads of stuff: no pasta, rice, lentils or anything like that, and almost no veg. All the veggie protein stuff was gone too (Quorn/sausages/tofu)

I've no idea but people talk about going to the shops early enough - if I go past 3 there's not much, I've taken the last tin of beans or whatever on a shelf. I don't see anyone walking round with paletts of tinned tomatoes any more so I'm wondering if the supply chain is mucked.

I'm struggling to know how to get hold of non-essential but sort of useful things like lightbulbs, nail clippers, chairs, clothes - I don't really want to stress delivery services more than they're needed but I don't know where to go otherwise.

e:

Next year then?

justcola fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 2, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My wife's employer seem to think they are going to furlough some people for three weeks, the bring them back, and furlough a different group of people for 3 weeks, bring them back etc

That isn't how it works surely?

why not?
if you’ve only got half the work to be doing it makes more sense to rotate half the staff on/off than leave some permanently on full workload and some on zero

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cerv posted:

why not?
if you’ve only got half the work to be doing it makes more sense to rotate half the staff on/off than leave some permanently on full workload and some on zero

probably an argument for the staff, too - gets that extra 20% of salary and ensures everyone stays fresh in the role

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Labour have had all 3 candidates pre-record victory speeches for tomorrow. instead of just live streaming the winner.
this is disappointing, I want to see what Starmer’s got strategically placed on the bookcase like every middle management twat showing off in the conference call

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

justcola posted:

I've no idea but people talk about going to the shops early enough - if I go past 3 there's not much, I've taken the last tin of beans or whatever on a shelf. I don't see anyone walking round with paletts of tinned tomatoes any more so I'm wondering if the supply chain is mucked.

I'm struggling to know how to get hold of non-essential but sort of useful things like lightbulbs, nail clippers, chairs, clothes - I don't really want to stress delivery services more than they're needed but I don't know where to go otherwise.

e:

Next year then?

Even with an imperfect lockdown, it is absolutely not going to take 9 months to get the numbers under control well enough to relax the lockdown.

There may be further waves after that demanding restrictions are reintroduced, but we're not going to be fully housebound until 2021 and it's absurd to think we will be.

Yes, consider this a :toxx:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

A target of 100,000 tests a day by the end of April sounds insufficient until you consider that 100,000 is likely to be the remaining UK population by that point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerv posted:

Labour have had all 3 candidates pre-record victory speeches for tomorrow. instead of just live streaming the winner.
this is disappointing, I want to see what Starmer’s got strategically placed on the bookcase like every middle management twat showing off in the conference call

You probably will still get to see that, unfortunately.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Are we sure this site isn't an Yvan Eht Nioj situation? :tinfoil:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

RLB shoots it in front of a greenscreen with Red Square as the background, Lisa Nandy accidentaly engages snapchat filter and offers her speech as a cat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Had a bit of a jolt while out on my walk - plain black refrigerated van with two guys in masks driving slowly down the street, the guys looking hawkishly out of both sides. Then one jumped out with a clipboard while another put on some gloves.

The were delivering veg to a little takeaway place

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lisa Nyandy.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Had a bit of a jolt while out on my walk - plain black refrigerated van with two guys in masks driving slowly down the street, the guys looking hawkishly out of both sides. Then one jumped out with a clipboard while another put on some gloves.

The were delivering veg to a little takeaway place

I'm used to the corpse wagons being slate grey and marked as "private ambulance" but maybe london does it differently :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Even with an imperfect lockdown, it is absolutely not going to take 9 months to get the numbers under control well enough to relax the lockdown.

There may be further waves after that demanding restrictions are reintroduced, but we're not going to be fully housebound until 2021 and it's absurd to think we will be.

I think we'll probably end up playing peekaboo with the disease like that article suggested (and I roundly rubbished) a couple of weeks ago. Wait for deaths to drop below a certain level, unlock, then lock back up when the numbers start going up again, or maybe the same but with ICU bed occupancy. It's a long loving way from ideal (and the one area where I sort of agree with the nudge unit people - the observance of each successive lockdown is going to get worse and worse) but absent a viable treatment or vaccine it's about the only way even vaguely acceptable to the NUMBER crowd who still are basically in control of the response across the West.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

well consider we haven't infected 1% of the population yet and when the lockdown is lifted the virus will resurface given how resilient it is. we're in wave 1 and the politicians don't want to engage with the scientific community on how viruses don't care about half measures at eradicating them

wuhan is looking at a 3 month absolute lockdown, and that's with widespread testing and a far more comprehensive understanding of essential worker. the virus is still spreading in the uk, we've just slowed it down significantly

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think we'll probably end up playing peekaboo with the disease like that article suggested (and I roundly rubbished) a couple of weeks ago. Wait for deaths to drop below a certain level, unlock, then lock back up when the numbers start going up again, or maybe the same but with ICU bed occupancy. It's a long loving way from ideal (and the one area where I sort of agree with the nudge unit people - the observance of each successive lockdown is going to get worse and worse) but absent a viable treatment or vaccine it's about the only way even vaguely acceptable to the NUMBER crowd who still are basically in control of the response across the West.
yeah that was the most realistic plan put forward but no one wants to tell the public that's how it'll actually play out

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Lisa Nyandy.

I'm used to the corpse wagons being slate grey and marked as "private ambulance" but maybe london does it differently :v:

Black but still marked as an ambulance, IME.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

if you want to know what's actually happening in the uk watch today's scotland briefing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyecq4przIE

it gets into technical questions and follows alongside uk's plan but as per usual gives far more facts than the uk one

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well consider we haven't infected 1% of the population yet

This seems a fairly big claim IMO. If we take the poll in the last thread as a survey of how many people read/post in this thread, there's been at least 5 symptomatic cases out of 375*. Leyton Orient have had 4 confirmed cases in their staff of 50ish, and they definitely don't have the exotic lifestyle excuse of Premiership clubs (their youth team take the Central Line between their training ground and academy). Assuming the 33% growth a day number is right, it only takes 33 days to go from 100 cases to 690,000 (near as dammit 1%) - given we had the first confirmed cases at the beginning of February, I suspect we've gone *way* past that number now, probably nearer 10% than 1%.

Unscientific as poo poo, I know, but probably still more statistically valid than our alleged testing regime.

* Of a population that's already pretty socially isolated, arf arf.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

LOL

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/malaiseforever/status/1245776222342307843

Starmer is going to make Ed Miliband look like a loving rabid Tasmanian devil.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
So what's the easiest way of quitting the party? I mean I will wait till the result but I'm not paying even a pittance a month to be led by that sack of shite starmer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stop your direct debit I guess.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a decent website for totally novice people looking to grow their own veg?

I'm talking a step by step guide with links to things to buy and explanations for any and all jargon.

I basically just wanna try growing poo poo like potatoes, carrots, broccoli etc but have absolutely no idea where to begin.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

So what's the easiest way of quitting the party? I mean I will wait till the result but I'm not paying even a pittance a month to be led by that sack of shite starmer

Being mildly critical of Israel on Twitter should do the trick.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

DesperateDan posted:

First, I stopped my direct debit (which was monthly - the late March payment had just been taken).

Then I emailed "labourmembership@labour.org.uk" quoting my membership number and also stating that I have stopped my DD, and copied my CLP chair and secretary both in.

I didn't give my reasons, my CLP Chair knows and if anyone asks her she knows enough to say it's not a hissy fit about Corbyn standing down (which it mostly isn't).

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This seems a fairly big claim IMO. If we take the poll in the last thread as a survey of how many people read/post in this thread, there's been at least 5 symptomatic cases out of 375*. Leyton Orient have had 4 confirmed cases in their staff of 50ish, and they definitely don't have the exotic lifestyle excuse of Premiership clubs (their youth team take the Central Line between their training ground and academy). Assuming the 33% growth a day number is right, it only takes 33 days to go from 100 cases to 690,000 (near as dammit 1%) - given we had the first confirmed cases at the beginning of February, I suspect we've gone *way* past that number now, probably nearer 10% than 1%.

Unscientific as poo poo, I know, but probably still more statistically valid than our alleged testing regime.

* Of a population that's already pretty socially isolated, arf arf.
but we already have reliable hospitalisation and death stats based off of china, south korea and italy. the notion that we're undercounting by 10x-20x is a pipedream relying on a substantial number of asymptomatic cases that global medical evidence does not show. it was pushed by england's cmo to try and buy time - it does not have any scientific basis

everyone keeps wishing it's the case, but that hasn't changed reality and i strongly doubt it'll change it if we continuing wishing even harder

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

The big sainsbury near me (Edinburgh) is almost back to normal, other than pasta, handwash and peanut butter. Tons of fruit and veg.

I think shelves are a little bit emptier than normal late in the day though, but that might be because more people are shopping during daytime hours who would previously have gone shopping after work in the evening maybe?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Kin posted:

Is there a decent website for totally novice people looking to grow their own veg?

I'm talking a step by step guide with links to things to buy and explanations for any and all jargon.

I basically just wanna try growing poo poo like potatoes, carrots, broccoli etc but have absolutely no idea where to begin.

How much land do you have? Some vegetables can be grown in containers if you don't have a garden, even potatoes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://news.stv.tv/west-central/brewery-vows-to-cut-off-beer-supply-to-wetherspoons?top

Glasgow brewery to stop supplying Wetherspoons.

quote:

By Jenness Mitchell
More details
2 Apr 2020 8:09 am

By Jenness Mitchell
jenness.mitchell@stv.tv

A Glasgow brewery has vowed to stop supplying Wetherspoons in response to the pub chain’s treatment of staff during the coronavirus pandemic.

West Brewery said they would “rather sweep the streets” than do business with Wetherspoons owner Tim Martin.

Beer: The West Brewery is based at Glasgow Green.

Pubs and restaurants were told to shut by Prime Minister Boris Johnson as part of measures to try to stop the spread of Covid-19 on Friday, March 20.

Martin came under fire for failing to assure his staff that their wages would be paid while they were unable to go into work.

In a video on the Monday evening, he told tens of thousands of employees he would pay them up until the pubs last opened, but said there would be no further payments until the Government fulfilled its promise to cover 80% of the wages of workers affected.

Instead, he suggested that staff should consider taking jobs at Tesco to make up for the loss in pay.

Following the Government’s pledge to guarantee 80% of pay for many workers, Wetherspoons announced it would pay its staff under the scheme and stated that the company’s actions were “responsible and sensible in the difficult circumstances”.

Grumpster
@mc_grumpster
· 31 Mar 2020
Replying to @Westbeer
I'd like to ask you if you would consider stopping supplying wetherspons with your product?

WEST Brewery
@Westbeer
Don’t worry. We made that decision last week. We’d rather sweep the streets than do business with people like him.

20:17 - 31 Mar 2020
Twitter Ads information and privacy
272 people are talking about this

However, West Brewery has not forgiven the company’s initial stance.

In response to a Twitter post asking if the brewery, based at Glasgow Green, would consider stopping its supply of artisan beers to Wetherspoons, a spokesperson responded: “Don’t worry. We made that decision last week.

“We’d rather sweep the streets than do business with people like him.”

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

Chuck em in the dirt and water them, done.

Slightly more seriously, the instructions on the seed packets (assuming you're not going to try and go completely native) should do the trick with a bit of judicious googling - most fruit and veg is extremely tolerant of suboptimal soil conditions and general mistreatment because it's been bred to be that way. Chuck some fertiliser designed for food plants rather than flowers in there occasionally, don't let the soil get completely dry or completely waterlogged, and take precautions to keep weeds and pests away (a thin layer of gravel or broken stone over the soil when you sow will do the former (and keep moisture in over the summer), and some cheap netting and broken eggshells should keep most of the latter away).

One thing I will say is you're pretty late to be sowing anything now, make sure you check the seeds carefully to make sure you're not just wasting your time for something that will get murdered by winter before it has a chance to make a crop. Potatoes and carrots should be fine though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

forkboy84 posted:

I have read about 10 of the Bernard Cromwell Sharpe books in the last 3 weeks. Also gone back to the Complete Marvel Reading Order & reading so many comic books. Missing my wrestling though. There's been 9 shows this month I've watched, which...well, significantly down on what it should be to the point where I even watched 2 Stardom shows & some Big Japan which aren't in my regular rotation. Been no New Japan Cup, missed a few Dragon Gate shows, several AJPW & NOAH. And now this month All Japan have cancelled their big tournament. It's nice having time & all but I'm pretty much just done with this now, give me my Japanese wrestling back.

I have a couple of freaking hefty books that I have been looking to get through for a while, big book of Korean history Myths and Gods of India etc. Finally finished Xcom on legendary, God after a certain point it was like pulling teeth.

I'm sorry your shows aren't on though mate.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a long loving way from ideal (and the one area where I sort of agree with the nudge unit people - the observance of each successive lockdown is going to get worse and worse)

They'd have a chance if they'd taken charge of the situation like South Korea - immediate response, diverting resources into equipment and testing, explaining to people exactly what needed to happen and why, providing support to help people isolate etc

they went for bumbling and inept instead so now nobody has any reason to trust them, and trying to regulate control measures is just gonna look like more indecision and confusion. Like they didn't just gently caress up the actual response, they're also eroding the state's authority and power to actually get everyone to listen and pull together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NB if you quit the labour party by simply cancelling your direct debit, if you pay monthly, you remain on the books for 6 months marked as 'arrears' for 4 months then finally coming off the books after 6 months. If you pay an annual direct debit, it can take up to 18 months to get off the books depending when your sub was last due.

That's why I emailed too.