Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Ryaomon posted:

Speaking of games though, the mobile game touted an event to fight 'The most powerful member of the Straw Hats' on April 1st and it started today.

that owns, g-8 was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Reminded of that edit of Admiral Condoriano showing up at Whole Cake and beating up Big Mom's family

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.
As someone who has never played a musou game and wants to try one, is this one good enough in that genre compared to others? I'm willing to forgive story shortcuts and whatever to play as a large range of One Piece characters wrecking shop.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just wish I had a bit more time on it before I become unable to refund

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jumley posted:

As someone who has never played a musou game and wants to try one, is this one good enough in that genre compared to others? I'm willing to forgive story shortcuts and whatever to play as a large range of One Piece characters wrecking shop.

Absolutely, these are on the higher end of quality for musou games.

Usually anime tie-ins are just gonna be lovely (see: the Berserk musou) but One Piece gets special treatment because everyone in Japan loves it. Also it's kind of a perfect fit thematically, most One Piece arcs are already set up like musou stages.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Jumley posted:

The One Piece Pirate Warriors spin-offs have been one of the few good anime tie-in musou series. If you want to see whether musou gameplay is for you or not, you could do worse than picking OPPW3 or 4.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

$60 is a little pricey but killing a million people per hit is very satisfying

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I'll echo the goon that said PW4 doesn't make PW3 obsolete due to large differences in mechanics and content, if you're just dipping your toe into musous to see if you like them PW3 is still a good option and regularly dirt cheap on every platform

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Begemot posted:

Absolutely, these are on the higher end of quality for musou games.

Usually anime tie-ins are just gonna be lovely (see: the Berserk musou) but One Piece gets special treatment because everyone in Japan loves it. Also it's kind of a perfect fit thematically, most One Piece arcs are already set up like musou stages.

ya lol luffy and the crew smacking around dozens of mooks at a time and using special moves to sweep them up with their sergeants is a one piece fundamental sequence

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

HerraS posted:

Reminded of that edit of Admiral Condoriano showing up at Whole Cake and beating up Big Mom's family

I cannot find this

Also it just felt like there was so much drat content in 3. 4 feels like they wanted to get it out the door.

Alabaster is a fine place to start for the series but alrong park is missed. And thriller bark isn't there because they didn't want to have to render nightmare luffy. And I don't think they have pre timeskip models of chopper or nami fighting because I can't select them in dramatic mode for some reason.

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 2, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, they cut the pre-TS fighting styles of half the dang strawhats so you can't pick Chopper/Nami/Robin/Franky/Brook until the timeskip.

I have nearly everything unlocked on Barto and he still sucks, which makes me very sad. The playstyle they seem to want you to go for with him just doesn't work, his counter just doesn't deal enough damage. Especially when you could just pick Whitebeard and demolish entire zones at a time.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think I just got spoiled for this weeks chapter and I think imma lose my toxx bet, hopefully I’m wrong and it isn’t real

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

The way they skipped over Skypeia and Fishman Island totally in the cutscenes makes it feel like it might be DLC or something. Or a pre-TS DLC with the characters and some of the skipped arcs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1245727760582090754?s=20

Even Viz knows that he's been gone too long

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

someday jinbei will be back with the pack of cigarettes he went out to buy

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Love Jinbei, wish he was better in the vidya game

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Jimbei is fuckin dead viz

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Jimbei is fuckin dead viz

Good.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
They're gonna kill sabo off screen and luffy will be informed and shut down again at his best. He will also find out jimbo is dead.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

They're gonna kill sabo off screen and luffy will be informed and shut down again at his best. He will also find out jimbo is dead.

That sounds like a boring dumb adventure, after all the onscreen time both of those characters have had

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I'm trying to keep up with the manga but ever since the time skip it feels like it has just been spinning it's wheels.
just look at the arc division

a 23 arcs pre time skip in about 600 chapters and 8 post time skip in about 400. Dressrosa was 101 chapters long and Wano is looking to be as long if not longer then that. At this point I really hope Oda is starting to get close to making an ending arc.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

that's not the comic 'spinning its wheels' it's just oda shifting to a more longform storytelling, who gives a poo poo how many arcs the fandom has arbitrary sliced the story up into

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mateo360 posted:

I'm trying to keep up with the manga but ever since the time skip it feels like it has just been spinning it's wheels.

a 23 arcs pre time skip in about 600 chapters and 8 post time skip in about 400. Dressrosa was 101 chapters long and Wano is looking to be as long if not longer then that. At this point I really hope Oda is starting to get close to making an ending arc.

Wano is actually reasonably fast-paced; it's just long because a lot is happening in it. The Thousand Beast Pirates are probably the second-most powerful faction in the setting (the WG is number one, of course), and there's only one other antagonistic faction that's likely to surpass them (the Blackbeard Pirates). Beating them shouldn't be easy.

It's not like Dressrosa where the fight against Doflamingo kept dragging out long after he was obviously screwed.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If anything this is still first arc of the new world. FI-PH-DR all build up into this single upcoming battle and Oda himself only labelled the new world arcs as 'The new world' and 'The throne wars' respectively. there’s probably only gonna be three ‘sagas’ in this entire second half when the world war starts

People have been complaining about how old one piece is better than new one piece for a long time now but if oda really cashes in all these threads and plot lines into exciting climax/satisfying payoff it’ll easily be the best thing in one piece (and all of fiction by extension)

Professorjuggalo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 3, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Of all the new world arc the only one i'd argue spins its wheels is Dressrosa.

Fishman Island & Punk Hazard are relatively normal length. Zou is all but a blip. Whole Cake Island & Wano are very large arcs but they're faster paced; it's just they're just so dense. Wano literally has act breaks where we keep getting world updates normally reserved for between arcs.
There's been multiple times during Wano where I've been shocked at how quickly we get from point a to point b. Like Luffy is separated from his crew for what 3 chapters and then they just reunite and its all nice and over with meanwhile those 3 chapters are full of information on tthe world state, new characters and like 4 locations. Oden's flashback is I think longer than usual but it spans about 20 years and just never stops running.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one piece, past and present, is insanely good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mateo360 posted:

lets be less strict with it and say pre time skip has 4 arcs that all the smaller islands add up to:
east blue (main goal is to reach the grand line)
alabasta (introduced to vivi inside laboon)
enies lobby (robin joins crew after alabasta)
marineford (straw hats declare war on the navy at the end of enies lobby)

and post skip has:
whole cake/wano entangled together. luffy gets into conflict with big mom over the phone at the end of fishman island, then gets into conflict with kaido and meets kinemon and momo on punk hazard. dressrosa and zou are still wano arc, but then whole cake island happens. now, big mom and kaido have teamed up. so it was all the same arc, all along

so, you could say that oda has made one-quarter the arcs in two-thirds the chapters. however, i think that the govt and marines are going to end up intermixed in wano as well, and there have been plenty of big moments with them throughout the post time skip. reverie also happened. the revolutionaries have had chapters. so, i think wano is at least three times as beefy as a pre-skip arc, and with the plot development another 200 chapters will add, will easily rival or surpass pre-skip for “amount of things the straw hats do”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ultimately my conclusion is that there are not separate arcs after the time skip, from then to the end is the “luffy becomes the pirate king” arc

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

mateo360 posted:

At this point I really hope Oda is starting to get close to making an ending arc.

"I hope One Piece ends soon" sure is a hot take to post in the One Piece thread

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Bleck posted:

"I hope One Piece ends soon" sure is a hot take to post in the One Piece thread

I mean, the other two major mangas that were running with it have both (sort of) already ended. Naruto and Bleach. after this long fatigue is starting to set in.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

one piece doesn't need to end soon just because bleach got its rear end cancelled

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Also if you cant tell that we are already much closer to the end of One Piece than not, you're not paying enough attention.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I can kind of understand people getting fatigued, I suppose. It's been over 20 years, we're nearing 1000 chapters and at absolute minimum we still need probably another 40 chapters to wrap up Wano (and it'll be more like 60 probably) before we go to i dunno, blackbeard, Elbaf, who knows what's going to happen with the rest of the world, Shanks, and whatever else we need to cover before heading to Laugh Tale

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Man we've really been with Kinemon for like 8 years and he only just now did one memorable thing. Remember his devil fruit? Me either.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

he has a tanuki fruit

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Finish up Wano, finish up the Fishman Island plot, go to Elbaf, go to Laugh Tale, start war, fight Blackbeard, series over.

I give it 10 years, at most.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oda has been waiting all arc for the most appropriate dramatic moment to bring back kinemon's ability to talk with his farts

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

rannum posted:

I can kind of understand people getting fatigued, I suppose. It's been over 20 years, we're nearing 1000 chapters and at absolute minimum we still need probably another 40 chapters to wrap up Wano (and it'll be more like 60 probably) before we go to i dunno, blackbeard, Elbaf, who knows what's going to happen with the rest of the world, Shanks, and whatever else we need to cover before heading to Laugh Tale

I think it will basically go Elbaf (vs. Shanks?), Lodestar (vs. Blackbeard), Laugh Tale (Void Century flashback), some small island (Zoro vs. Mihawk), the Revolutionaries' current base (gathering allies to prepare to fight the World Government), New Marineford (vs. Marines), Marie Geoise (vs. Imu and the Ancient Weapons). That's seven arcs after Wano, although some of them will obviously be much longer than others.

Edit: There are alternative possibilities, obviously. Since Blackbeard probably has Whitebeard's Poneglyph now, he can "accidentally" leak a copy of it to the Straw Hats, knowing that they already have the other 3, and then follow them to Laugh Tale. That way, Zoro can fight Mihawk at Lodestar, and the Straw Hats can fight Blackbeard at Laugh Tale itself.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 3, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

I think it will basically go Elbaf (vs. Shanks?), Lodestar (vs. Blackbeard), Laugh Tale (Void Century flashback), some small island (Zoro vs. Mihawk), the Revolutionaries' current base (gathering allies to prepare to fight the World Government), New Marineford (vs. Marines), Marie Geoise (vs. Imu and the Ancient Weapons). That's seven arcs after Wano, although some of them will obviously be much longer than others.

Ehh, I think Luffy getting to Laugh Tale and becoming the King of the Pirates is the end of the manga, period. Everything will come to a head either on that island, or on the way there. It would be lame to go back and deal with the WG afterwards.

Trying to predict One Piece is a fool's errand, anyway. I couldn't confidently say what'll be happening ten chapters from now, much less three arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I will say, it's probably just me, but there's plenty of times where I feel things get a bit TOO dense and I kinda lose track of certain things, so when the manga's like "Here's the payoff" I don't actually remember what the setup was.