Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Armadillo Tank posted:

technically the rural areas are dead already, so not entirely wrong

we have plenty of space to make depression gardens though, plus there are a lot of scrub woods and wood burning stoves

wells and septics instead of public water and sewer

rural america could snap back to 1930's america in a way that suburbs and cities cant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

facetoucher cat posted:

They found a raccoon with rabies about 2 miles from me so that's always fun

just don't go outside :rolleyes:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

currently 51,671 on worldometer

this will be fun to revisit in about a week as covid exceeds seasonal flu deaths, and then every week after that until it blows through the cancer numbers in six or seven weeks

:toot:

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

Capitalism works! The joint commission (accreditor for hospitals on america) put out a joint statement today to put the vile poo poo head hospitals that are banning/firing health care workers using personal home ppe on blast. At least as much on blast as a lame auditing company can put their corporate masters. Even threw some shade at the CDC for waffling and relaxing ppe standards.

yeah today I walked into work at my hospital and I was given a mask to wear and permission to wear it!

it’s kinda lovely and I have to use it for a week at a time, but I’m not front line staff and every bit counts

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
The rona

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1245804595491864582

:colbert:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Turns out rugged individualism is bad during a pandemic. Love my idiotic failed plague state

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/OctamanTentacle/status/1245739878769401857

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

nooooooo

whyyyyy sug

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone explain or link to something that explains how the $600 unemployment bonus works? Going from here: https://blog.freelancersunion.org/2020/03/30/what-the-cares-act-means-for-freelancers/

"The law revives the “Emergency Unemployment Compensation” program for 13 additional weeks on top of states’ standard programs, meaning that if your state’s usual benefit period for unemployment payments is 26 weeks, you could receive up to 39 weeks with this federally funded extension." What's this "could" bs? And does this apply to everone on UI, or just people that started it during a certain time?

Also re the stimulus checks: " People with no federal tax liability will receive only $600." Means-testing trapezoid strikes again! Someone please just explain this overly complicated bullshit to me. Should people on UI expect that extra 600, and if so, when?

Sharkie has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Apr 2, 2020

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:canada: i'm going to take it upon myself to update the thread about canadian news in the seemingly vacant demand for updates about your adorable upstairs neighbours :canada:

‘It’s going to be stark,’ Ford agrees to release COVID-19 infection modelling to public

quote:

Ontario now has 2,793 cases of COVID-19, 53 officially confirmed deaths, and 831 recovered patients.

Ford defended his decision to not release any case modelling data sooner, saying the Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams wanted the hundreds of thousands of Ontarians travelling during March Break to return before they formulate a full model.

Canada may be missing thousands of coronavirus cases, experts say

quote:

“There isn’t currently a tracking system for those cases that don’t warrant admission to hospital,” [An emergency doctor in B.C.] said, noting that he can’t be certain they are COVID-19. “But I’m seeing patients who have the exact same symptom profile, in terms of how they describe their cough, how they describe shortness of breath.”

“I see those almost every shift and they don’t count towards the official tally,” he said. “There is a significant portion of these patients.”

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

do you still gotta be looking for employment during this to receive unemployment benefits

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

we're gonna need 6 months of congressional crunchtime to pass a non-binding resolution calling on pharmacies and supermarkets to reclassify insulin and lysol as EBT-authorized

china & south korea delivered care packages of food and household supplies to infected peoples' doorsteps. lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

china & south korea delivered care packages of food and household supplies to infected peoples' doorsteps. lmao

Taiwan did this as well (#1) and also had doctors call people 3x a time to make sure their health wasn't getting worst.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

we're gonna need 6 months of congressional crunchtime to pass a non-binding resolution calling on pharmacies and supermarkets to reclassify insulin and lysol as EBT-authorized

USA is a failed state, so what else is new

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Taiwan did this as well (#1) and also had doctors call people 3x a time to make sure their health wasn't getting worst.

we already talked about china

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Hahaha :yeshaha:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

RIP Florida

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

good idea wearing a gigantic fomite doctor

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

we already talked about china

lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

snoo posted:

do you still gotta be looking for employment during this to receive unemployment benefits

it depends state by state, but Wisconsin specifically exempted that

your state's unemployment insurance website should have info on that

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

snoo posted:

Is that a state or federal thing? I think states mandate it, like nutrition assistance drug test bullshit. I know I had to log 3 applications a week to keep my UI when my state job was eliminated by budget cuts back in the halcyon days of the great recession. I hope I dont have to find out. I'm going to be fuuuuuuucked if my job dries up (like everyone). A colleague and acquaintance won a pulitzer prize in 2017 and is doing a loving go fund me to keep his newspaper operating because no one is advertising. Last time I was unemployed, I wound up moving 1500 miles to find work. I cant do that again without a divorce

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Found this little Squeekums sleeping in the closet.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

but wait it was structured as a tax credit so that they could send the checks out faster! oh well, at least they can still claw it back in a year.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

snoo posted:

depends on state probably, cali has provision for covid that basically just says you have to ready to work which sounds meaningless lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
so where the gently caress is trump sending all the seized supplies

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1245807238029205504?s=20

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Sharkie posted:

Can someone explain or link to something that explains how the $600 unemployment bonus works? Going from here: https://blog.freelancersunion.org/2020/03/30/what-the-cares-act-means-for-freelancers/

"The law revives the “Emergency Unemployment Compensation” program for 13 additional weeks on top of states’ standard programs, meaning that if your state’s usual benefit period for unemployment payments is 26 weeks, you could receive up to 39 weeks with this federally funded extension." What's this "could" bs? And does this apply to everone on UI, or just people that started it during a certain time?

Also re the stimulus checks: " People with no federal tax liability will receive only $600." Means-testing triangle strikes again! Someone please just explain this overly complicated bullshit to me. Should people on UI expect that extra 600, and if so, when?
The no tax liability thing was part of the first bill draft not the current one unless they got it back in somehow.

The $600 ui bonus only applies to ui checks between the adoption of the clause by the state (probably this week unless you're in a bad state) until July 31. But it applies to all UI checks given out during that specific period.

There's some stricter criteria to get the 13 extra weeks of UI which iirc is dependent on things like getting confirmed corona, caretaking someone or maybe having a job loss in a corona industry? That one's a bit more complicated and I don't have the criteria memorized.

Also freelancers being eligible for UI at all is part of the CARES act since contract workers and self employed people usually are not.

Kylra has issued a correction as of 21:26 on Apr 2, 2020

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

at this point there's little distinction between a plague ship and florida

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

shovelbum posted:

so where the gently caress is trump sending all the seized supplies

Jared is filling an Olympic sized pool full of N95s that he can dive into like Scrooge McDuck

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nothus posted:

20 weeks from April 1 is August 19th. holy lol

lol those checks are going to be delivered to vacant properties because this is after even eviction moratoriums lift

Phase 5 is gonna include a provision to allow landlords to cash evicted tenant's checks lmao

god drat the Democratic party, and thank God Bernie got at least a single good thing tacked onto that shitheap of a bill

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Homeless Friend posted:

depends on state probably, cali has provision for covid that basically just says you have to ready to work which sounds meaningless lol

federal ui guidelines still say you must be able to work- not sick, disabled, or otherwise prevented from being available for full time

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

lol those checks are going to be delivered to vacant properties because this is after even eviction moratoriums lift

Phase 5 is gonna include a provision to allow landlords to cash evicted tenant's checks lmao

god drat the Democratic party, and thank God Bernie got at least a single good thing tacked onto that shitheap of a bill

Remember how angry dems like Pelosi got over the bill getting money quickly to people?

How can we hold it up?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
fart

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

it is seriously so loving disgusting that so many people are wiping their rear end with smooth low-quality "commercial" toilet paper and then walking around all day and sitting on everything with their stank asses

please please please make bidets universal

My workplace had really nice TP that was on par with the stuff I used to have at home. Now I'm down to using the lovely 2-ply stuff we had in reserve, as both of us working from home instead of pooping on company time has caused us to go through it far quicker than usual.

I really want a bidet, but I've not seen anything for the UK market with our weird Victorian plumbing that looks remotely affordable or easy to install.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Finally the deus ex machina we deserve

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

facetoucher cat posted:

They found a raccoon with rabies about 2 miles from me so that's always fun

The fox population has been showing up with rabies around me.

Then there's this insane story from a few years back of a woman having to drown a rabid raccoon that wouldn't stop biting her hand..

https://bangordailynews.com/2017/06/14/news/midcoast/maine-woman-attacked-by-raccoon-drowns-rabid-animal-in-puddle/

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Homeless Friend posted:

Usually you have to apply for a job or few every week to certify and actually receive money. It might depend on your particular circumstances, and they'll tell you what they're requiring you to do specifically after your claim is processed.

If you get a job offer and turn it down you won't be able to non-fraudulently certify and will get a phone interview about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Jonny 290 posted:

JFYI parts stocks for these are all based out of China so good loving luck getting rolling again if you drop it or something breaks. A buddy bought one of those super sick dual battery scooters that can go 25 mph for like 30 miles and while it is fun, he laid it down once and it broke the throttle trigger thingy and it took six weeks to get the replacement shipped from China. And that was before global hell pandemic.

either just ride a bike or get a small gas motorcycle of a well known brand (those chinese ones have the same parts rarity as the escooters)

The model I recommend Turbewheel Swift is sold by eWheels. They sell every part including the brake pad, the motor, the battery and the controller separately. Plus its like 1k, you only need to use it more than 6-7 months to recoup the transportation cost.

The problem of a gas scooter is you have to pay insurance and plate cost, if won't save you any money. Just get a poo poo box at that point. Plus you have to ride on the road next to the gas guzzlers, instead of quiet bike lanes and park lanes. It's much safer rider along other 20mph ebike riders.

If you commute is 5-7 mile I agree a normal bike will do, but between 7-15 miles, an ebike/scooter is better and faster. Over 20 miles, get a motorcycle or car.