Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I work for their insurance plan and I still can't figure out what the gently caress is going on

I used to do financial stuff for the big blue cross / blue shield provider in Pennsylvania and in six years I never figured out what the logic was behind what was billed and how it was adjusted, it's all a big shell game.

I assume it's because the ACA locks insurance company profit margins to a fixed percentage of payouts for care. Hm what's 10% of $10 vs. 10% of $100,000, I'm a claims adjuster at Aetna help me figure out this impossible legalistic riddle

Biplane posted:

Huge lol at americans posting in this thread, of all loving threads, getting hella offended when it's pointed out America is objectively the absolute worst first world country and arguably is third world for the majority of its citizens.

always funny when liberal smuggos decide "third world" is just a term for any place poor black people live tho

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Apr 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

You know what? Good on this kid. I wish more people were able to own mistakes and admit wrongdoing and make themselves better people.

Like, that's the bare minimum I ask from humanity but apparently it's too much.

Yeah for one dumb comment this is a fine apology. There's people out there doing way worse that can't seem to figure this out.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

kid was dumb but realized it and is seeking to limit harm and spread, it's literally what we're asking everybody to do and so many are failing to even consider, he's good in my book

all things considered it's not surprising that somebody could think it's no big deal until they're face to face with it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

kid was dumb but realized it and is seeking to limit harm and spread, it's literally what we're asking everybody to do and so many are failing to even consider, he's good in my book

all things considered it's not surprising that somebody could think it's no big deal until they're face to face with it

Especially if you're a college kid on Spring Break. If it were me and I had a mic in my face after a day of drinking I am not confident I would have said anything less stupid.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah for one dumb comment this is a fine apology. There's people out there doing way worse that can't seem to figure this out.

honestly I don't think anyone was really even reacting to the specific dumb poo poo he said so much as the fact he looks and sounds like the secondary bad guy from an 80s college goofball comedy escaped into real life

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Biplane posted:

Huge lol at americans posting in this thread, of all loving threads, getting hella offended when it's pointed out America is objectively the absolute worst first world country and arguably is third world for the majority of its citizens.

it's definitely the worst, but moving to another country full of lovely white people isn't much better

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

What did this Sluder person do?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Samovar posted:

What did this Sluder person do?

went on spring break to Florida and said covid wasnt going to stop him from partying to cbs news iirc because if he dies, he dies, not really knowing or caring that if he got infected he could kill other people

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the Sludes partied too hard and now he's gotta pay

Trollking
Sep 9, 2000

Pillbug

If you squint it even kinda looks like a scythe

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I assume it's because the ACA locks insurance company profit margins to a fixed percentage of payouts for care. Hm what's 10% of $10 vs. 10% of $100,000, I'm a claims adjuster at Aetna help me figure out this impossible legalistic riddle

always funny when liberal smuggos decide "third world" is just a term for any place poor black people live tho

Third world doesn't mean anywhere black people live what the gently caress.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

this kind of poo poo is why all hospitals need to be nationalized along with Medicare for all

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah the “if you limit me to one scoop I’ll use a big loving scoop” was deliberately designed in by the lobbying of health insurers . Obama Admin welcomed it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Trollking posted:

If you squint it even kinda looks like a scythe

wonder how similar the map of places with only like a single Walmart for a whole county’s food and living supplies would look

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

:rip: west texas lol

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:rip: west texas lol

Texas isn't uniquely stubborn but goddamn are we some pigheaded motherfuckers

I'm in hill country and aside from the college kids being mostly gone and half of us townies being out of work from the plague and quickly running out of money, life seems to be proceeding normally. The HEB is packed, there's people wandering Lowe's and the traffic is almost as bad as usual. It's incredibly bizarre.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

So the number of infected doubled in the last week to 1 million.
That's not so bad, surely, even if it carries on like that?
Week 2: 2 million
Week 3: 4 million
Week 4: 8 million
Week 5: 16 million
Week 6: 32 million
Week 7: 64 million
Week 8: 128 million
Week 9: 256 million
Week 10: 512 million
Week 11: 1 billion
Week 12: 2 billion
Week 13: 4 billion
Week 14, mid July: 8 billion (so, everybody in the world apart from those dudes on that one island)

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

TheKennedys posted:

Texas isn't uniquely stubborn but goddamn are we some pigheaded motherfuckers

I'm in hill country and aside from the college kids being mostly gone and half of us townies being out of work from the plague and quickly running out of money, life seems to be proceeding normally. The HEB is packed, there's people wandering Lowe's and the traffic is almost as bad as usual. It's incredibly bizarre.

Wild. The DC metro area has been basically shut for weeks now. People persisted in using the soccer field near me so the county chained the goalposts together.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Stoatbringer posted:

Week 14, mid July: 8 billion (so, everybody in the world apart from those dudes on that one island)

6,000 years from now:
[POLITICIAN] Well?
[SCIENTIST] Sir, there can no longer be any doubt. The cradle of civilization is... (points at map) here, in Madagascar.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Stoatbringer posted:

North Sentinel Island: :smuggo:

Confidently Queer
Apr 14, 2003

i am the luckiest shitheap in fyad.

Grape posted:

North Sentinel Island: :smuggo:

Whoops, gets submerged by climate change

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
God drat I just can't help coming back to the feeling that out entire country is about to go into a depression because of our lovely health care system.

It's just a perfect storm of trickle up capitalism, health insurance being tied to your employer and then no one being able to work to buy the things that enrich those same "job creators" that "give" us our insurance and then losing their coverage. Watching it collapse in real time is just brutal and it's too late to do a loving thing about it.

Hundreds of thousands of people RIGHT NOW are losing their coverage and, even if they don't have Covid19, still need insulin, mental health care, etc., etc. etc. and how the gently caress are they going to pay for it? How are they going to crawl out of this debt? WTF, you gonna make COBRA payments with unemployment checks? And this is assuming you can even see a doctor right now.

Well over half of this country is about to go completely broke simply because we tie health care to employment. I'm sorry to be...whatever it is I'm being but this house of cards has collapsed and we're just getting started - with the stupidest President I've ever seen or listened to "leading" us.

I just turned 53 and there's no coming back from this in my lifetime. Those jacked up pick up trucks with their Trump stickers driving I95 like the autobahn fill me with rage. I'd have had the common decency to scrape those off 2 years ago but we're living in Mad Max cult territory right now and a disturbingly large number of people seem to be reveling in it.

It's over. And I don't know what comes next. Biden? JFC

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

God drat I just can't help coming back to the feeling that out entire country is about to go into a depression because of our lovely health care system.

It's just a perfect storm of trickle up capitalism, health insurance being tied to your employer and then no one being able to work to buy the things that enrich those same "job creators" that "give" us our insurance and then losing their coverage. Watching it collapse in real time is just brutal and it's too late to do a loving thing about it.

Hundreds of thousands of people RIGHT NOW are losing their coverage and, even if they don't have Covid19, still need insulin, mental health care, etc., etc. etc. and how the gently caress are they going to pay for it? How are they going to crawl out of this debt? WTF, you gonna make COBRA payments with unemployment checks? And this is assuming you can even see a doctor right now.

Well over half of this country is about to go completely broke simply because we tie health care to employment. I'm sorry to be...whatever it is I'm being but this house of cards has collapsed and we're just getting started - with the stupidest President I've ever seen or listened to "leading" us.

I just turned 53 and there's no coming back from this in my lifetime. Those jacked up pick up trucks with their Trump stickers driving I95 like the autobahn fill me with rage. I'd have had the common decency to scrape those off 2 years ago but we're living in Mad Max cult territory right now and a disturbingly large number of people seem to be reveling in it.

It's fine.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

our country was about to go into a catastrophic depression at any moment well before covid came along but all of that misery would've been totally normal and fine and yet another victory for austerity helping the invisible hand cull the weak from the herd, or some poo poo, instead of getting people talking seriously about whether we should faff around with a nordic-style UBI welfare state or just cut to the chase and embrace the immortal science of Marxism-Leninism

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Confidently Queer posted:

Whoops, gets submerged by climate change

not if the main thing causing climate change gets wiped out due to illness and poor decision making

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Biplane posted:

America loving sucks but making it substantially worse via the emigration of everyone who isn’t a libertarian or Nazi doesn’t seem like a great idea since you’d basically end up with the 4th reich except with unrivaled military power and a huge stock of nuclear weapons. Don’t think living in Canada or wherever is gonna do much good then!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

BiggerBoat posted:

the bernie or bust slogan ain't about his supporters, friend. we still have a shot at this. otherwise lmao

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Biplane posted:

I need an escape plan. Probably too late though.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Before the rona took off, mine was to 'retire early', buy a used sail boat, and sail around in low cost of living countries. Like, you an cycle between Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia on tourist visas forever. Already have a short list of countries the wife and I could stop at for a few years that have fairly easy citizenship requirements if we really need to stop being Americans.

Provided the countries of the world don't all become bitter isolationists after this, it might still be doable. With a lot of boomers dying and charter companies going broke, there will likely be a ton of cheap boats on the market in the next couple years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So, your dream is to be murdered by pirates?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao, dude thinks that owning a boat is a way to save money.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Already have a short list of countries the wife and I could stop at for a few years that have fairly easy citizenship requirements if we really need to stop being Americans.
what are these countries

my dream of marrying a hot irish babe and vanishing within the foggy marshlands probably isn't gonna pan out

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Joe Man posted:

what are these countries

my dream of marrying a hot irish babe and vanishing within the foggy marshlands probably isn't gonna pan out

Not with that attitude

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The Joe Man posted:

what are these countries

I was wanting to move to Brigadoon.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No. My dream is to be ransomed by pirates for some crazy sum of money. Then killed when no one pays up. Closest I'll get to dying a millionaire.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lmao, dude thinks that owning a boat is a way to save money.

The boat idea is primarily a way to escape being inside the dying American empire. After being a car and home owner for the past 20 years, I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll be repairing poo poo till I die.

The Joe Man posted:

what are these countries

Off the top of my head (and laws change).

Portugal and Uruguay have a program if you start a business and employ a few people.

Paraguay has some deal where you just have to leave some money in a bank account or buy real estate. Everyone says it is shady as all hell, but the place it full of the descendants of Nazis, so I don't think they are too picky.

Panama and I think Chile have a deal for "retirees", where you can at least get residency if you can show you have a pension or an annuity or disability payments from somewhere.

The Hail Mary pass is Iceland. They have a law on the books that you can argue for citizenship from their parliament. It worked for Bobby Fischer.

The cheapest though is just to over stay a tourist visa and work illegally till a local marries you.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's what I want on my gravestone, regardless.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

The Joe Man posted:

what are these countries

Same. Only my plan involved a hot scottish lady and moving into obscurity to Mexico, since I can claim citizenship from my parents.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The cheapest though is just to over stay a tourist visa and work illegally till a local marries you.

Real talk, this is how a lot of Russian get Chinese marriage visas. Grind for a bit in the ESL mines until you meet a Chinese person who strikes your fancy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SirPablo posted:

Good luck, most of the world hates americans for some unfathomable reason so unless you're rich you're probably hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i was kind of hoping grad school would be able to get me a ticket out of this country with an engineering doctorate, but who knows at this point.